Where'S The Next "Big Thing"/The Next City To Sort Of Boom With Expats?

submaniac

I was think about what Thai area/Thai city that would "get big" with the influxes of foreigners and expats. I mean the British and the Germans used to have Pattaya...and it seems that they are moving towards Hua Hin. The Russians have taken over Pattaya, and Phuket. Bangkok..has always been big. Chiang Mai seems to be taken over by the Americans.

I was just wondering what the next big town/area to "boom" with expats moving in would be. I would throw out Hat Yai in the South. Perfect actually. It has a direct rail line from BKK, and is close enough to do visa runs to Malaysia. Also relatively close to Ko Phangnan and the full moon party. Prices are cheap and the beaches are beautiful (though not as nice as Phuket).

Any thoughts, or any other areas that will be the next destination in the great Falang migration within Thailand?

I would think the largest number of expats is in Bangkok. Probably followed by Pattaya?

OP: you need to think globally. Europe and N. America are in dire straights right now. China, India and Russia are still booming. That's the next wave. Happening here in Pattaya. Big money to be made if you speak Russian!! Or cater to that market. I know a lot who do...

Hat Yai still has internal terrorism problems, yes? I can't see that region becoming a big draw for western expats.

In Pattaya, the Russian thing has happened but I'm really hoping it becomes more Chinese instead.

Edited by Jingthing

The next big boom in the area will be Rangoon, people's noses will be bothering them and a certain contingent will flock in early to roost and get the boasting rights.

In Thailand, I think Chiang Mai is ripe for a Chinese invasion when the new rail link comes in. I'm looking forward to the Chinese invasion as those REAL!!!! Chinese girls are hot hot hot.

If you don't like someone, tell them to go to Hat Yai.

cool times ahead after the chinese girl invasion, walking down suk in my sandals, singha vest and ripped shorts, hand in hand with my light skin invading chinese bargirl, i spose the poor issan bargirl will have to carry our shopping bags for us

• Like 1

cool times ahead after the chinese girl invasion, walking down suk in my sandals, singha vest and ripped shorts, hand in hand with my light skin invading chinese bargirl, i spose the poor issan bargirl will have to carry our shopping bags for us

You guys becrazy.gif trippin'!

I have some photos of Chinese exes to give you a taste of what is to come.

Unfortunately TV rules forbid me from posting them here.

Sorry ph34r.png

yes mr jingthing, work related stress, i am now dreaming of a chinese bargirl in bullys

• Like 1

I would have to throw in Khon Kaen, especially the area around the lake. Few years ago you could count the number of farangs on one hand. Now there are several western owned businesses popping up. Seems to be attracting the more laid back quiet types. Has to have the biggest concentration of Americans than anywhere else in Thailand (Not saying this is good or bad).

yes mr jingthing, work related stress, i am now dreaming of a chinese bargirl in bullys

I'm a bit shocked at JT thinking that we're tripping........

It's a comin', it's a comin', it's a comin' down the road guitar.gif

I would have to throw in Khon Kaen, especially the area around the lake. Few years ago you could count the number of farangs on one hand. Now there are several western owned businesses popping up. Seems to be attracting the more laid back quiet types. Has to have the biggest concentration of Americans than anywhere else in Thailand (Not saying this is good or bad).

welcomeani.gif

Welcome to Thaivisa, and an excellent first post........especially this bit..........

(Not saying this is good or bad).

Very adroit biggrin.png

Don't worry, if our American colleagues attack you, it's like being savaged by a dead sheep. whistling.gif

oh bugger you blether, i now see purple elephants, invading chinese girls and a angry american sheep making mortal threats to a german philospher.

yes, boom area, anywhere where there is a glut of cheap booze, tarts and somewhere to put the jet ski rental

oh bugger you blether, i now see purple elephants, invading chinese girls and a angry american sheep making mortal threats to a german philospher.

yes, boom area, anywhere where there is a glut of cheap booze, tarts and somewhere to put the jet ski rental

Bugger me?.......oh no not again......I'm still sore from the last time crying.gif

There are reports of rich Bangkokians buying up land from Kanchanaburi to what will be the new international border crossing with Burma due to open in a few years.

The actual crossing is at a sleepy little village called Nam Ron. I went there for a bike ride recently and was told land that was 10k a rai 10 years ago is now being sold for 1 million by the elites who bought it from the villagers who had no idea the area was earmarked for development.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

There are reports of rich Bangkokians buying up land from Kanchanaburi to what will be the new international border crossing with Burma due to open in a few years.

The actual crossing is at a sleepy little village called Nam Ron. I went there for a bike ride recently and was told land that was 10k a rai 10 years ago is now being sold for 1 million by the elites who bought it from the villagers who had no idea the area was earmarked for development.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

a beautiful area, without a doubt.

Bugger me?.......oh no not again......I'm still sore from the last time crying.gif

You are supposed to have the Ram facing the other way!! Doh!

You are supposed to have the Ram facing the other way!! Doh!

oh four legged wild dog from the eastern seaboard, you just nailed rob roy

Obviously it Kampheang Phet, thriving ex pat colony which still lives in the reign of Queen Victoria, they even have a "Hunt" you know like chasing foxes around the area, so I think this is the next big "place to be" Thriving "Hernia Club" as well by all account, even the entry to to the province says its "World Hernia Site"

Edited by nong38

Obviously it Kampheang Phet, thriving ex pat colony which still lives in the reign of Queen Victoria, they even have a "Hunt" you know like chasing foxes around the area, so I think this is the next big "place to be" Thriving "Hernia Club" as well by all account, even the entry to to the province says its "World Hernia Site"

I want a hernia.......all my pals have had hernia's and I haven't!!!........it really annoys me, I pay all my tax and national insurance.......if they can get hernia's then I want mine too!!! mad.gif

definately kampheang phet could be a boom town, chang beer factory close by, that might upset the archa club, ping river for jet ski rental, 1 semi decent hotel, small provincial jail for the on rush of miscreant farangs.

geographically, between CM to the north, NS to the south then onto BKK, i think you have it right.

i hope chumphon town doesnt get any busier. has potential with train and bus access. steady flow of backpackers already. 3g was just recently launched with truemove h, although cat cdma is still kicking fine.

the airport is not busy. a lot would change if a couple of new flights started stopping over into chumphon.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.

I want a hernia.......all my pals have had hernia's and I haven't!!!........it really annoys me, I pay all my tax and national insurance.......if they can get hernia's then I want mine too!!! mad.gif

From your ramblings, I thought you already had one

definately kampheang phet could be a boom town, chang beer factory close by, that might upset the archa club, ping river for jet ski rental, 1 semi decent hotel, small provincial jail for the on rush of miscreant farangs.

geographically, between CM to the north, NS to the south then onto BKK, i think you have it right.

Nope. the neighborhood has gone down recently since I moved there. Went down because I moved there

I would agree, somewhat. It certainly has grown quickly in the past 10 years. There are lots of changes.