Two To Three Weeks In The Uk

MsClueless

I want to plan two or three weeks in the Uk but don't have much idea. Please help?

Places I want to see

London

Stonehenge

Bristol

But cannot think where else

Am confused if to go south or I want to go north to Scotland

Or south to Cornwall

So confused and not enough time to see all places

So anyone can suggest a route for maybe two weeks? Which way to start so I head one direction and then return like big loop around?

And if I have one more week what can be added?

Any idea on places to stay that will not too expensive also please

Thank you for your sharing

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on a lot of factors. Are you British? Are you visiting with a non Brit? What time of year etc ......................

I took the Mrs (Lao) back last year (Oct) for her first 1st time in Europe. As I'm from Bristol we did 3 days in London which is enough to see the major sites. Based ourselves in Bristol so took 2-3 day trips around Bath, Stonehenge, Longleat Safari Park (highly reccommended), Cheddar Gorge/caves, Devon, Dorset, Cornwall, South coast. Go horseracing, dog racing, sea fishing, visit castles, music concert........... all this took up 2 weeks.

Next time would like to go to Scotland/ lake district but didnt have time in the 3 weeks we were there. Obviously we had a hire car. The Mrs can't wait to go back (I can)

Go to Bristol / Stonehenge...........when you are in Bristol area you are near as dammit in Wales, so pop into Newport or Cardiff, the Severn Bridge into Wales is worth seeing.........book yourself a ticket on the West Coast train line to Glasgow, step off at places along the way such as off Liverpool / Manchester / Kendall ( for the Lake District ).........the main line doesn't go through Manchester of Liverpool, it's easy to step off and get connecting services.........

Glasgow is interesting........if you want you can get a bus easily to the Highlands.........Fort William for example.........anyway, Glasgow to Edinburgh is 1 hour, Edinburgh is also beautiful.......go back to London on the East Coast line, stop off at Berwick Upon Tweed, Newcastle, York, and then back to London.

14 days no problem, 21 days plenty..........

Guest houses in the UK tend to be good value, but with plenty of advance notice you can get rooms in Travelodge very cheap.......

Tw yes I want to see all the places you mention

But I have short time so please suggest best route?

If I fly to London then train to Bristol, then where?

Or better to fly Bristol, go more south then come back London all by train?

Lovelaos I'm not British

And your trip sound very nice. All in two weeks? I will not drive. Can I do same journey by train? Expensive? There are two of us. Both not British but we speak English ok

What about not so expensive hotels motels?

Thank you

Tw yes I want to see all the places you mention

But I have short time so please suggest best route?

If I fly to London then train to Bristol, then where?

Or better to fly Bristol, go more south then come back London all by train?

Lovelaos I'm not British

And your trip sound very nice. All in two weeks? I will not drive. Can I do same journey by train? Expensive? There are two of us. Both not British but we speak English ok

What about not so expensive hotels motels?

Thank you

Bristol is a short trip from London by train or bus, maybe two hours......you don't fly there from London..........buses are decent in the UK too.......

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/

train info

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

cheap flights

http://www.easyjet.com/EN

http://www.ryanair.com/en

hotels

http://www.booking.com/

Edited by theblether

Thank you theblether. Very nice.

I was saying fly bkk to Bristol, avoid London one leg, and then stop London before departure?

But your idea sounds nice. I will research.

I don't think you can fly to Bristol from Bkk............

Bristol was one of the primary ports in the British Empire days, and has a very long history of seafaring, interesting to see for a couple of days.......if you fly into Heathrow I would just go direct to Bristol and crash out there for a couple of days, Stonehenge is not far, about 80km.......

When you are at Bristol you are just at the cusp of entering Wales, Newport is where the last Ryder Cup ( Golf ) was played, and Cardiff is about 40km along the road. You can go by bus or train, the West Coast train line link is at a place called Cheltenham, an old English town known for horse breeding and racing, if you use the West Coast line as a guide you will be able to pop into places like Liverpool, home of the football club and the Beatles amongst other things, or go to Manchester and see the stadiums there. Stadium tours are available. Both cities have plenty of night-life and sights/museums etc.

Step off at Kendall in the Lake District, a truly beautiful part of England, then move up into Glasgow, my home town, then over to Edinburgh......google info on these cities. As I said you could easily reach the Scottish highlands from Glasgow.

Moving back down the country, step off at Berwick, and go see Lindisfarne, a stunning ancient monastery Island, a site of Christianity for about 1200 years already, google it.

Newcastle is a cracking party town, very friendly people, and York is one of the oldest cities in the UK, the home of the Roman army 2000 years ago......still a very very beautiful city.

Finish off in London then fly back..........you will see sights and history everywhere you turn in London.......

I suggest..........Bristol area 2 days, Wales 2/3 days, Liverpool 1 day / Manchester 1 day/ Lake District 3 days/ Glasgow 2 days/ Edinburgh 2 days/ Berwick 1 day / Newcastle 1 Day / York 2 Days / London 4 days = 21 days

if you need to cut the days back then cut out 1 day in Wales, choose between Liverpool or Manchester, forget about Berwick and Newcastle......that will cut 4 days off the trip for you,

You can fly into Bristol from Amsterdam via KLM.

Sorry but am from that part of the world, why would anyone go to Bristol, if going around there I would choose Bath, then also take in Cheddar Gorge, then proceed to Bristol only to catch a train to maybe Birmingham or further up, or even from Bath a train to Exeter and go down towards Plymouth and Cornwall.

You could do Bath, Exeter, Plymouth, St Ives, then come up along the coast to Portland, Poole, Portsmouth, Southampton, Brighton, along into Kent, taking in Dover, then back round into London.

• Like 2

Two good ways to travel in and around the U.K. are the railways and bus / coach.

The rail network can be very cheap and very quick if you book in advance - up to 3 months - and latch onto their cheap fares. Book on the internet.

National Express coaches can be very reasonable and quite comfortable too.

Megabus is often forgotten about. Look them up on the internet and you get get extremely cheap tickets. Some as low as £1.

Where?

Cheddar gorge (as mentioned earlier) is very beautiful. Fantastic caves.

York - the walled city - with York Minster is a very beautiful and historic city.

Whitby further up the north east coast. Whitby Abbey up the 199 steps where Dracula is buried, Whitby harbour and its links to Captain cook. A very quaint and historical place. Nearby are the North Yorkshire Moors.

Homesteads where (sorry Blether LOL) you can visit Hadrian's Wall is further north.

The other obvious locations like London, Stonehenge, Lake District, Scotland with its beautiful mountains, lochs and rugged coastline. Lands end and so many other scenic, beautiful and historic places.

Planning the itinerary can really save a lot of money on travel that can be used towards places to stay. Do you want hotels? In many places a good Bed & Breakfast place can save you money too. Often these places are run by friendly and helpful locals.

You can fly into Bristol from Amsterdam via KLM.

Sorry but am from that part of the world, why would anyone go to Bristol, if going around there I would choose Bath, then also take in Cheddar Gorge, then proceed to Bristol only to catch a train to maybe Birmingham or further up, or even from Bath a train to Exeter and go down towards Plymouth and Cornwall.

You could do Bath, Exeter, Plymouth, St Ives, then come up along the coast to Portland, Poole, Portsmouth, Southampton, Brighton, along into Kent, taking in Dover, then back round into London.

Bath is worth seeing, as are St Ives and Poole... if it is summer, the OP should go to nearby Sandbanks too

The OP can skip Plymouth, Portsmouth and Southampton... I have close ties to all three but I am afraid to say they are all now quite miserable places that have been infected by the chav virus...

...in the Southampton/ Portsmouth region the OP would be better advised to spend time in the villages of the New Forest (eg Beaulieu)...

... in the Plymouth region there are many lovely villages by the sea (eg Kingsand) as well as Dartmoor nearby

• Like 1

Go to Dorset and hire bikes for a few days. You can explore the villages that way. B&B's are the way to go...but in bigger places stay in Travelodges or Holiday Inns.

B&B's in cities can be run down dumps in my experience.

Go to Dorset and hire bikes for a few days. You can explore the villages that way. B&B's are the way to go...but in bigger places stay in Travelodges or Holiday Inns.

B&B's in cities can be run down dumps in my experience.

Village hopping by bicycle is a super idea (depending on the time of year)

In general, focusing more on villages / countryside and less on towns / cities will make for a much more pleasurable trip

We've found Travelodges to be a fair mid-priced option, GBP 50-60 per-night, without breakfast.

Country B&Bs are often slightly-cheaper, include breakfast, and help you meet the locals.

Youth-hostels also often offer 2-bed rooms, in a good national-network with some interesting/historic buildings, and self-catering facilities, if you're on a tight budget, see www.yha.org.uk

And I myself would add Ironbridge Gorge to the list of must-see places, it's a World Heritage Site, with several excellent museums to help you discover how the Industrial-Revolution came about.

My advice to the OP would be to Google "Coach trips in the UK " and take your time reading about the many and varied coack trips all over the UK. These usually offer very good value for money holidays where all travel and accomadation is booked for you saving you time each day finding somewhere to stay. Most offer good hotels with meals included and the services of a driver and sometimes courier, most helpful when you want to see a sight and no worry of finding somewhere to park or getting to and from a railway station. You would be able to book your pickup from close to your arrival airport. Depending on your finances, you could pick maybe 2 tours to coinside with any days left over in London or close to your departure place.

Fly into London - 3 days in London, train to Bristol (book in advance) 2 hours. 3 days based in Bristol you will be able to visit Stonehenge, Bath, Cheddar Gorge, Bristol docks, suspension bridge etc. From there I would do what The Blether said and take the train up to Scotland. Edinburgh really is worth a visit, beautiful, historic and tourist freindly. So spend a week in Scotland try to get to the highlands for magnificent views. Travel back to London but as Blether said stop in Newcastle for a day/night to intheclub.gif

If travelling by train/bus the South West would be difficult to get around as things you want to see are too far apart.

Have fun

Fly into London - 3 days in London, train to Bristol (book in advance) 2 hours. 3 days based in Bristol you will be able to visit Stonehenge, Bath, Cheddar Gorge, Bristol docks, suspension bridge etc. From there I would do what The Blether said and take the train up to Scotland. Edinburgh really is worth a visit, beautiful, historic and tourist freindly. So spend a week in Scotland try to get to the highlands for magnificent views. Travel back to London but as Blether said stop in Newcastle for a day/night to intheclub.gif

If traveling by train/bus the South West would be difficult to get around as things you want to see are too far apart.

Have fun

All of what has been suggested, don't forget some of the Old English Village inns ( Pubs ) my Mrs loved them, good food can be had in many.

Have a good time 2 - 3 weeks in the UK, well !! you'll need a rest when you get back. smile.png

As your not going to drive, maybe expensive but worth a mention for some of the time you spend traveling, people like these hire firms have chauffeur driven lady drivers and there are many throughout the UK which would be also safe for you.

http://www.firstclassprivatehire.co.uk/

You may like Shepherds bush market in London. biggrin.png

Thank you for all ideas

Now I'm more confuse :)

Everything sound nice but do I have enough time?

If I don't party so no need to visit Newcastle

I had idea Liverpool and Manchester are industrial towns? Really worth to see?

If I want to see Cornwall and Scotland what is best way to do? Where to start if I'm flying to london..... I know one is north the other south. Suggestion? Still can do in 3 weeks?

I've nothing against those cities but frankly, you just wouldn't send anyone there on a holiday, it's a bit like comming from Europe to Thailand for the first time and being advised to spend your vacation in Samut Prakan.