Bomb Rocks Hat Yai Hotel, Over 200 People Trapped

webfact

In the Holy Q'uran, killing women and children is never permitted in any Jihad. Freaky extremists are in every religion--look at the Jewish Defense League (JDL) and Skinheads in the US. Same, same... lunatics waving a flag that does not belong to them. There are over a billion good Muslims. The crazy and vocal minority does not speak for them.

Why are you taking bout the Jewish Defense League (JDL) and Skinheads in the US.had nothing to do with this.

maybe it had to do what you ate for supper yesterday please see a Doctor soon

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It occurs to me that to be a simple gas explosion, there would need to be some considerable time for some gas leak to build up to a concentration that was combustible. I'm not an expert and not sure what type of gas would be used at the Lee Garden Plaza, but I think the concentration would have to get to at least between 2 and 5 % of the atmosphere for the chance of an explosion. It seems likely that someone would notice a gas smell before that amount could have built up. Does anyone have any expertise on this matter? Is it possible that a terrorist could intentionally set an explosive close to a gas pipe in the basement area? Are there immediate signs that would have indicated a gas versus other type of explosion that would have led to an expert guess that this was a gas explosion?

When I lived in the USA a house on our block had a gas explosion. It literally leveled the house to the foundation and threw debris all around the neighborhood, breaking windows and damaging many nearby homes.

A gas explosion is VERY powerful. Would not be surprised if that was the cause here. Usually the Thai terrorists don't make such large bombs.

Thai terrorists? :o ... a rai na?

Unique wording, and careless wording from yourself there! Mai dai! :(

-mel.

It occurs to me that to be a simple gas explosion, there would need to be some considerable time for some gas leak to build up to a concentration that was combustible. I'm not an expert and not sure what type of gas would be used at the Lee Garden Plaza, but I think the concentration would have to get to at least between 2 and 5 % of the atmosphere for the chance of an explosion. It seems likely that someone would notice a gas smell before that amount could have built up. Does anyone have any expertise on this matter? Is it possible that a terrorist could intentionally set an explosive close to a gas pipe in the basement area? Are there immediate signs that would have indicated a gas versus other type of explosion that would have led to an expert guess that this was a gas explosion?

When I lived in the USA a house on our block had a gas explosion. It literally leveled the house to the foundation and threw debris all around the neighborhood, breaking windows and damaging many nearby homes.

A gas explosion is VERY powerful. Would not be surprised if that was the cause here. Usually the Thai terrorists don't make such large bombs.

In the US there is natural gas piped underground to homes. In Thailand, all gas is bottled. For a big explosion you would need a number of bottles or a pretty big storage tank. This is suspicious, given the timing correlation with the other bombings. To have a gas accident within such close timing to other bombs going off in another city, the odds are remote - to say the least

Five dead, dozens injured in Thailand hotel fire

HAT YAI: -- FIVE people were killed and hundreds injured in a fire yesterday at a hotel in Hat Yai in southern Thailand.

The blaze broke out at the Lee Gardens Hotel in downtown Hat Yai, which is a popular destination with tourists from neighbouring Malaysia and Singapore.

Four men and one woman died in the fire, said Songkhla provincial governor Grisada Boorach. He said 336 were injured, of whom 28 were in hospital.

The cause of the fire was being investigated, the governor said.

City mayor Prai Pattano earlier said the fire was apparently caused by a gas explosion in the basement of the building.

Mr Prai also said more than 300 were injured but most were not seriously hurt and had been discharged.

Most of those injured suffered from smoke inhalation, many in the hotel's large shopping arcade.

Police Lieutenant Phuvadol Viriyanarangkul said foreign tourists were among those injured but there were no details on them so far.

Two Russian tourists were killed in a fire at a hotel in Bangkok earlier this month.

Thailand is a tourist magnet but its image as the "Land of Smiles" has been tested in recent years by deadly political unrest, devastating floods and more recently a bungled bomb plot involving Iranian suspects.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-03-31

Five dead, dozens injured in Thailand hotel fire

HAT YAI: -- FIVE people were killed and hundreds injured in a fire yesterday at a hotel in Hat Yai in southern Thailand.

- Bloody hell, it's yesterday already! Must be good food I'm drinking!

-mel.

Thai terrorists? ohmy.png ... a rai na?

Unique wording, and careless wording from yourself there! Mai dai! sad.png

-mel.

Muslim extremists, terrorists, people who plant bombs, boogiemen... whatever you want to call them.

About an hour ago the news reader on TV was talking about a bomb. So I guess we can now rule out the "gas explosion" theory?

It smells a bit like the local government trying to do damage control and keep the tourists coming in for songkran celebrations. Also it looks like to much of a coincidence to have this happen at the exact same time as the attacks in Yala. To me, it looks like the style of bombing we had a few years ago in Hatyai, except a bit bigger bombs this time around...

In the US there is natural gas piped underground to homes. In Thailand, all gas is bottled. For a big explosion you would need a number of bottles or a pretty big storage tank. This is suspicious, given the timing correlation with the other bombings. To have a gas accident within such close timing to other bombs going off in another city, the odds are remote - to say the least

Yes, I know that about homes here, but am unsure what they use for commercial / industrial uses. Bottled gas as well?

If so, then I would agree this blast may be too big to be the result of a bottled gas explosion.

Since tourists are involved and the Thais are notorious for cover ups, it will be interesting to see if we get the truth or not. However, "mass suicides" may be difficult to convince people of at this stage.

My wife knows an ex-student of hers works at Mc D's. She said they don't have gas.

I did a bit of googling myself, and MacDs latest environmental programs are for all electric, and have been since 2010. They used to use gas in TH, but for environmental issues and costs, as electric is on a par, alledgedly, with gas prices at their franchise outlets and their volunes of usage, that it would appear that McDs don't use gas for cooking in Thailand nor other Asian franchises. Of course, I may well be stood corrected, but early indications show McDs are now all for electrical only cooking, and have been practising this in all new operations since 2010.

A lot of this practise would also be the responsibility of the franchisee, and knowing TIT maybe gas could have been implemented. We shall see, when further accurate details appear, if ever.

-mel.

• Like 1

About an hour ago the news reader on TV was talking about a bomb. So I guess we can now rule out the "gas explosion" theory?

It smells a bit like the local government trying to do damage control and keep the tourists coming in for songkran celebrations. Also it looks like to much of a coincidence to have this happen at the exact same time as the attacks in Yala. To me, it looks like the style of bombing we had a few years ago in Hatyai, except a bit bigger bombs this time around...

Yes, and also be aware that, and I don't like to bring it up, but 9/11 bombs were placed in the basement of those buildings.

It is to be established whether or not this blast came from McDs or the basement, and if it was the latter then basic or advanced terrorism mimicks what was already known. Go from the basement up with a car bomb. Sorry to put a downer on this, but this could be more organised than originally perceived. Only a thought.... as we don't know much yet. However, there is no terrorism in Thailand - this is the 'amazing' land 2012.

-mel.

Yes, and also be aware that, and I don't like to bring it up, but 9/11 bombs were placed in the basement of those buildings.

It is to be established whether or not this blast came from McDs or the basement, and if it was the latter then basic or advanced terrorism mimicks what was already known. Go from the basement up with a car bomb. Sorry to put a downer on this, but this could be more organised than originally perceived. Only a thought.... as we don't know much yet. However, there is no terrorism in Thailand - this is the 'amazing' land 2012.

-mel.

You're not up to date; this is now 'Miracle Thailand' according to TAT and Politicians. Seems to me the only miracle here is survival !

• Like 1

-mel.

You're not up to date; this is now 'Miracle Thailand' according to TAT and Politicians. Seems to me the only miracle here is survival !

Actually, in mentioning survival, I think the poor fire servicemen, with half the supplies necessary, must have done a pretty good job today.

Initially the reports were 200 trapped. They smashed higher rise windows soon enough, to let the smoke out, and all those people we saw on the footage got to ground level safely. Under the circumstances for such few, even though horribly sad, to die it is quite a miracle not many more perished in what was potentially a high rise fire, yet again.

Hat's off to the guys in orange, and sandals now and again!

-mel.

• Like 2

Wow! It's incredible how quiet it is in your video nothing but the fire truck sirens, the silence is eerie as are many of the looks on the peoples faces..

Not surprisingly I guess is that there are several American corporations featured prominently in the picture. And before anyone chimes in I know that several of those are owned by an American/Thai but they are still American corporate franchises..

Thai terrorists? ohmy.png ... a rai na?

Unique wording, and careless wording from yourself there! Mai dai! sad.png

-mel.

Yeah sure it may be more appropriate to describe them as moslim separatists in the deep south!

Riding on my motorbike I turned left to soon at the first ODEON corner (needed to go to next ODEON corner) which meant I had to do another loop of one way streets - silly me (was annoyed with myself at the time).

As I was nearly approaching Lee Gardens on another one way street I noticed all the ambulances with the wheels skidding and rubber burning.

Did a U turn and road into the one way traffic not worrying about traffic infringments or an accident - adrenalain pumping - felt like I was being hunted. Nobody followed my lead. I guessed it had to be a bomb and that another one was coming.

That is how the Canadian teacher died six years ago having a look at the 1st bomb and had the 2nd bomb detonate near him.

Very happy to be alive. I always curse my absent mindedness (turning left at one intersection too soon). But never again. It saved my life.

And I am very happy that I ate Sushi at Diana instead of Mac Donalds. I go there about 5 days a week. On my way back to Songkhla ambulances were still being dispatched from there to Hat Yai. Looks like massive carnage. Life is fickle - enjoy.

i can see shattered glass in front of the mcD in that video.

i am not a bomb expert but if there would have been an explosion in front of it ... where's the glass supposed to be?

for me it looks like the explosion came from inside the building

• Like 1

I went there just after the explosion and 2 sides of the ground floor is totally ripped, and the back side has also damages which is pretty far from the McDonalds. They talk about car bomb now. If i had got there a minute earlier I could have walked inside as the police cordon was a bit "loose".If it was a gas explosion, it must have been one of the biggest. Let`s wait for the news but seeing the devostation at very close range I would not believe it was a gas explosion. And also, I saw an emergency vehicle totally smashed. The driver said something had fallen on his vehilce from the hotel.

Gas explosion in McDonalds... which at the bottom of Lee Garden Plaza, 5 floors of shops and a Hotel.

I'm in a Hotel about 2-300 metres away, just took a video...

Just watched people trying to climb out of the upper floor windows on TV:(

Wow! It's incredible how quiet it is in your video nothing but the fire truck sirens, the silence is eerie as are many of the looks on the peoples faces..

Not surprisingly I guess is that there are several American corporations featured prominently in the picture. And before anyone chimes in I know that several of those are owned by an American/Thai but they are still American corporate franchises..

Already have a conspiracy do we? Those faces must have forgotten their roles in a pre-rehearsed setting with shocked faces huh? Please!

Yep hats go off to the firemen. They did not think twice about a second blast. Really heroes. They were blasting their horns non stop. Never saw such determination that's why I concluded it had to be bomb. I am agnostic. But I believe if there was more respect for the Jawi culture and not for it to be buried by Thai culture (as these so called extremists see it) there would be a chance of peace. Thailand is many countries and it should be embraced - not destroyed. In Esan are the Laos people. In Buriram we have the Cambodian people. I the South we have Malay people. Why not rejoice at this fact rather than say everyone is Thai. Celebrate diversity.

i can see shattered glass in front of the mcD in that video.

i am not a bomb expert but if there would have been an explosion in front of it ... where's the glass supposed to be?

for me it looks like the explosion came from inside the building

Do you think that the only glass to be shattered in a car bomb outside an establishment would only be from the shop directly in front of it? No, neither do I.. There are several windows above which would come raining down and it's also possible the glass you see is from the car and others that may have been damaged right? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Reports on other sites says Sizzlers which is above Mac Donalds was severely shaken but windows not broken so it appears that Mac Donalds took the brunt of the blast and the shattered windows are in fact those of Mac Donalds. And in that Mac Donalds there is easily 1,000 people at that time every Saturday. This could sadly mean many dead.