Non Immigrant -O- (Married To Thai).

On what basis did you have a non immigrant O visa? A work permit is normally easily obtained on such an entry for marriage or NGO work. There is no conversion required.

I have been told that so many times. That is why I got that visa. All I can say is maybe something just changed, or maybe a multiple entry is much different from a single entry, because they seem unable to do this. There is much confusion on this matter though, that is for sure -- everyone tells you something different, I hate it. The "truth" in Thailand is what really happens, I guess it is different for everybody.

Initially, employers are thrilled to see non imm multiple entry O's, but in actuality it has been rough to get a work permit on it, so that is why i propose maybe something recently changed??

Edited by meand

Nothing changed, a very few labour offices still inist on having a non-B for a work permit, but that are indeed a very few.

A lot of members have a work permit with any problems on a non-O visa.

It might be that the work itself is a problem and not the visa.

Nothing changed, a very few labour offices still inist on having a non-B for a work permit, but that are indeed a very few.

A lot of members have a work permit with any problems on a non-O visa.

It might be that the work itself is a problem and not the visa.

I'm not one of the "a lot of members have a work permit..... on a non-o". Too bad for me I guess. Maybe the company's process is streamlined to deal with tourist visa? I have no idea. I just know what they would and would not do. I also know it is a huge hassle (this visa) because I was told I need to wait it out, ie i cant just go get a tourist visa. Anyway.... this is maybe an isolated problem of mine i should not be confusing others with -- I have actually heard of this issue before though in other forums.

Edited by meand

Maybe the company's process

That statement is concerning as the company does not issue work permits. But companies often try to avoid employees using anything but non immigrant B visa/extensions so they have control over your stay and can threaten you with expulsion if you are fired or want to quit (as your stay is then tied to employment). It is really not much of a problem to change but most new people will not know this and thus be much more in the control of employer.

• Like 1

After cancellation of a work permit you now only have 24 hours to leave the country or obtain a new visa (used to be 1 week). A family/dependent visa can be obtained in-country at any immigration if your married or have kids. Usual docs, 400k in Thai bank ( ours was in a joint account), some pics of you as a couple using domestic appliances in your home (bizarre but true), then 1900 baht for a 1 year visa with 90 day reporting.

Actually there are several options and if on a 90 day visa entry it would not end in any case.

But those married or with Thai child can easily extend 60 days to visit them.

Those meeting the financial requirement for one year extension of stay can convert (but money in account time would have to be met - so the 60 day above step might be required first).

• 2 months later...

Can you apply for a Non-Imm 'O' (Thai Spouse) be applied for in Thailand whilst on a tourist visa? Providing of course, money in bank for two months etc etc.

Yes you can. It is a two-step procedure:

Step 1: apply for change of visa to non-O.This gives you a new 90-day permission to stay.

Step 2: within the last 30 days of your new permission to stay, apply for the marriage extension.

You must have at least 11 days remaining on permission to stay (be it tourist visa or visa exempt) and meet the conditions for extension of stay (but you do not have to meet the money in bank period - that will happen during time before actual extension is applied for. Cost is the normal non immigrant visa 2,000 baht and not all immigration offices can do.

• 9 years later...

two years ago i was trying to get my Married to Thai visa extension, and had a right few days

with requests for all sorts and copies of every page, pictures not liked ?just little things

and i was informed that this is not a popular visa ? as a lot of work and it had to be done and checked by Bangkok...now why i do not know, but i got it after about three days of more 

and more requests..one of the lads who came to the condo asked for a Liverpool FC shirt?  i think he was jesting and i might see if there are any decent copies, 

Hopefully things are better now and i will put the moneys into two accounts one saving and one income, will see how that goes.