Running A Bar On Samui

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the definition of "successful" is key. In Lamai, the majority of bars (not restaurants, although that's a similar situation) are either breaking even or turning enough of a profit to keep the owner living in Thailand, just. If your idea of success is being able to stay living in Thailand but not save any money (and have to scrimp to get by as it is) then there's that.

Personally, I think that a successful business is one that allows you to live in a nice house, have a nice vehicle or two, have money to spend on luxuries like cameras or hobby items and be able to take regular vacations, some of which are abroad. And on top of this you should be saving money. I think you ought to be saving at the very least twice what you pay for your accommodation.

I know people here who have had to borrow one or two thousand baht just to make it at the end of the month. They do not consider themselves "unsuccessful," but rather "getting by." This would not be so sad if not for the fact that these people are not youngsters out having a go -- they are near or at retirement age and this is IT for them.

I think the number of truly successful bars in Lamai are few and far between. I think the best of them are the ones who are "fixtures" in the area and not particularly recent additions. I think the nature of this thread is opening a bar now in today's tourism climate.

Having said all this, anyone who has been here for any time knows that if you want to start a business, Chaweng is the place. There are simply more people there all year long compared to any other location on the island. Opening a bar in Lamai reminds me, in some ways, of the Ray Bradbury short story, "The Off Season." Check it out.

Sure, there are far less successful bars in Lamai. Also not many successful bars in Hua Thanon. That doesn't mean a bar is a bad business, it just means Lamai is a bad location for one.

Most tourists (not expats) in Lamai are families. Tourists who come to Samui to party mostly go to Chaweng. The bars on Soi Green Mango (e.g. Henry Africas) and Chaweng Beach Road (e.g. Ark Bar, Bondi, Tropical Murphy's etc) are making money hand over fist.

In Lamai the truly successful bars are probably limited to Shamrock, Outback, Winner Bar, Billabong Bar and Super Girls.

In the case of 3 of those bars (Outback, Shamrock and Super Girls) they are benefitting mostly from their prime locations. Billabong and Winner bar are successful because they are the only bars in Lamai that have been able to consistently recruit large numbers of girls year after year. Billabong Bar is slowly taking over the entire block of bars on the south side of Had Lamai 1.

Of course there are quite a few bars that run at a modest profit and employ half a dozen or more people - but the ones above actually make a fair bit of money. I would venture a guess that some of the bars some people think are failing really aren't at all. Rent and costs are quite low here, a bar doesn't need to do a lot of business to break even. Most of the bars in the Lamai boxing ring, for example, at least break even on their Saturday trade alone.

Edited by ydraw

Personally, I think that a successful business is one that allows you to live in a nice house, have a nice vehicle or two, have money to spend on luxuries like cameras or hobby items and be able to take regular vacations, some of which are abroad. And on top of this you should be saving money. I think you ought to be saving at the very least twice what you pay for your accommodation.

So - most of the population of the UK is not successful? (And I include myself when I was there - I had to leave the UK to make decent money.)

I personally think that success criteria is a bit biased towards ones personal circumstances.

Me - I wake up every day on a tropical island (in paradise). I have fantastic views from my house. I can afford to drink more beer that I can cope with and eat what I want. Holidays - only if I have to. Warm weather and about 11 months of sunshine a year.

AND I do not have to get on a plane nor stay in a hotel and I get to see my wife every day (except when she visits mum.)

To me - that is success. thumbsup.gif (BTW - my current job desription includes being toilet cleaner and garbage collector)

• Like 2

IF you look online, you will see that the general range of housing costs to income ratio is about from 25% to 35%.

If I pay 15,000 baht a month on accommodation, I would hope that my "successful" business would leave me with at least 30,000 profit per month. Is that unreasonable?

And yes, there is that definition of success that is independent of work, but that's not what this thread is about.

@insertmembernamehere

Last I heard the lease was up on the handbag and boots place opposite the Outback. Good place and the right size to do a pit stop/take out place like cozy corner. Sausage/bacon sandwiches/rolls, chips and curry sauce. 59 Baht cocktail to take away stand on the end. Looked into it when considering the sausage production business I mentioned on another thread and it was thumbs up except for the key money and anything less than a five year lease (in cash) was irresponsible. Word on the street is that the whole section as far as the narrow lane (heading south) could go. Also, Nana bar (first in the horseshoe containing Billabong) is up for sale which is not due to lack of earning so would not be surprised if something big happened there soon. Best spot in Lamai to buy now is the plot housing an old style all wooden place just up the way from El Dorado RHS toward the ringroad. Set your fast food take away set back and leave room for mototaxis to park 'if' the Billabong takes over the Horseshoe and one would be on a winner. Unlike the sausage production this would require a substantial investment which I wouldn't do unless I had a better understanding of what, if anything, is going to happen opposite first.

Sure, there are far less successful bars in Lamai. Also not many successful bars in Hua Thanon. That doesn't mean a bar is a bad business, it just means Lamai is a bad location for one.

Most tourists (not expats) in Lamai are families. Tourists who come to Samui to party mostly go to Chaweng. The bars on Soi Green Mango (e.g. Henry Africas) and Chaweng Beach Road (e.g. Ark Bar, Bondi, Tropical Murphy's etc) are making money hand over fist.

In Lamai the truly successful bars are probably limited to Shamrock, Outback, Winner Bar, Billabong Bar and Super Girls.

In the case of 3 of those bars (Outback, Shamrock and Super Girls) they are benefitting mostly from their prime locations. Billabong and Winner bar are successful because they are the only bars in Lamai that have been able to consistently recruit large numbers of girls year after year. Billabong Bar is slowly taking over the entire block of bars on the south side of Had Lamai 1.

Of course there are quite a few bars that run at a modest profit and employ half a dozen or more people - but the ones above actually make a fair bit of money. I would venture a guess that some of the bars some people think are failing really aren't at all. Rent and costs are quite low here, a bar doesn't need to do a lot of business to break even. Most of the bars in the Lamai boxing ring, for example, at least break even on their Saturday trade alone.

Well done for naming four bars that are making loads...you forgot the Islander. This is a far cry from the 24 bars you claim are making money "hand over first" laugh.png in chaweng. I think the vast majority of expats reading this will agree with me that you are living in a world of pleasant fiction

• Like 1

A few bars (and others) for sale in Lamai. Not an exhaustive list by any means. There are many shops empty in various places. I think these are the kinds of things the OP was thinking about.

And, dare I say it, the exact kinds of places that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole!

At least one of these bars (Eden Bar) was a successful business providing a living for 3 owners and 2 staff, until the landlord suddenly decided to double the key money and lease when it came up again last year. At the time we all thought it was because they had got a better offer from someone, but there it still sits, another business ruined purely because of the greed of landlords who are basically farmer's children with no business sense of any kind and dollar signs in their eyes.

It's fair to say that the reason that most of these bars are for sale is not because business has gotten worse (Although a lot of them went to the wall after the Floods/Volcano/Redshirts triple whammies last year), but because the landlords have increased the lease prices on the existing tenants and forced them out. Thai landlords would rather have their properties sit empty than lose face by negotiating a lower price than they originally demanded.

i would suspect there are other reasons for super sub's demise

Well done for naming four bars that are making loads...you forgot the Islander. This is a far cry from the 24 bars you claim are making money "hand over first" laugh.png in chaweng. I think the vast majority of expats reading this will agree with me that you are living in a world of pleasant fiction

I named 5 bars in Lamai. The Islander is in Chaweng. There are too many to name in Chaweng. Do try to keep up.

Edited by ydraw

Some bars do well but they are the exception, same for any other business

Offer good service and value, target your market Tourists or long termers/expats .In my opinion the two don't mix to well,tourists don't want to hang with resident alcoholics, or walk into a place that feels cliquey. Expats generally wont be happy paying tourist prices.The exception being bars that offer something different ie draught imported beers etc

Do your research.From what Ive seen opening a bar as its going to be fun etc as first priority generally fail.Treat it like a real business and you have a start.

I have seen bars do well in most areas,until either the owner gets bored and stops paying attention or there chosen market gets bored and moves on.

So make a business plan factor all things as worst case,then if it works on paper ask yourself are you up for it and give it a go.

If you go the girly bar route then you will invariably fall fail of the scene and get screwed over, then be posting "successful" bar for sale in a few months.

Offer good service and value, target your market Tourists or long termers/expats .In my opinion the two don't mix to well,tourists don't want to hang with resident alcoholics, or walk into a place that feels cliquey. Expats generally wont be happy paying tourist prices.The exception being bars that offer something different ie draught imported beers etc

Do your research.From what Ive seen opening a bar as its going to be fun etc as first priority generally fail.Treat it like a real business and you have a start.

I have seen bars do well in most areas,until either the owner gets bored and stops paying attention or there chosen market gets bored and moves on.

So make a business plan factor all things as worst case,then if it works on paper ask yourself are you up for it and give it a go.

If you go the girly bar route then you will invariably fall fail of the scene and get screwed over, then be posting "successful" bar for sale in a few months.

ask Mr Trumph is he thinks its an investment worth getting into.

There wouldbeasamui tv show.

Apprentice Koh Samui

Any entraspreneaur businessmen out there looking to hire some wannabeg big shot in samui. there are plenty of want to bebig shots but i think that about 99 per cent of them have a degree in waffles )

• Like 1

I named 5 bars in Lamai. The Islander is in Chaweng. There are too many to name in Chaweng. Do try to keep up.

I will try to keep up. Please accept my profound apologies.

You have mentioned the bars in chaweng that we all know do very well but can't seem to name any others! Oh no thats right theres too many to mention. Do you mean too many to mention that are making money hand over fist or too many to mention that do little more than get by?

Edited by carmine

ask Mr Trumph is he thinks its an investment worth getting into.

There wouldbeasamui tv show.

Apprentice Koh Samui

Any entraspreneaur businessmen out there looking to hire some wannabeg big shot in samui. there are plenty of want to bebig shots but i think that about 99 per cent of them have a degree in waffles )

the biggest shots on samui normally end up as a target ona home made shooting range lol

Yep the Islander is not only one of the longerst running bar i have seen in samui but one of thelongest running business. Also the apple crimble in there is spot on

C'mon Big C just trying to offer something nice to the guy as opposed to the useal "waffle" thats on here.

Any how my further advice Get Big C as a patron and your made, you can even outsource his barstool advice on a hourly rate.

Yup Samui Apprentice could be fun, would really put a whole new take on your fired .

So a bar that sells beer and crumble will make it here then

It is the same for almost any business the key to running most businesses is location.

The Islander would not work on the top of a mountain in the middle of no where neither would a mc donalds or a star bucks.

Running a Bar really has 2 defintions over here. there is the bar as in girlie bar and bar as in pub style bar. the 2 are completely different businesses attracting completly different types of customers.

The girls bars are run more like mini clubs with loud disco music and girls dancing. Pub style bars are based around people chatting, nice food a place for families or for people enjoying a drink.

Running the other style ofabar you really are just looking for one type of customer i think you know what i mean and there is allot ofcompition in that market ovber here

It is the same for almost any business the key to running most businesses is location.

The Islander would not work on the top of a mountain in the middle of no where neither would a mc donalds or a star bucks.

Running a Bar really has 2 defintions over here. there is the bar as in girlie bar and bar as in pub style bar. the 2 are completely different businesses attracting completly different types of customers.

The girls bars are run more like mini clubs with loud disco music and girls dancing. Pub style bars are based around people chatting, nice food a place for families or for people enjoying a drink.

Running the other style ofabar you really are just looking for one type of customer i think you know what i mean and there is allot ofcompition in that market ovber here

So I take it that you are an expert on running a bar What experience do you have then I'm dying to know ?

So I take it that you are an expert on running a bar What experience do you have then I'm dying to know ?

Mc Donalds & Starbucks Kentucky or any fast food place will work anywhere in the world whether on top of a mountain or the bottom of a mountain foreigners like to eat what they are used to. They get cravings and want a bit of home cooking junk food or what ever when they come on holiday not everyone can eat Thai food 2 weeks

What a load of codswallop ain't got a clue about running a bar obviously had had the beer goggles on

jdee:

What a load of codswallop ain't got a clue about running a bar obviously had had the beer goggles on ...

Mc Donalds & Starbucks Kentucky or any fast food place will work anywhere in the world whether on top of a mountain or the bottom of a mountain foreigners like to eat what they are used to.

How well do you think Subway in Lamai does? Rarely see anyone in there.

But I'll bite, since you seem to indicate you have the knowledge, tell us how to run a bar, please. Be detailed. Don't leave any salient points out.

How well do you think Subway in Lamai does? Rarely see anyone in there.

At 260 baht each, they would only have to sell 2 footlongs a day to pay their staff.

I would guess that they probably make a tidy profit, given their margins are gigantic and their expenses are almost nothing.

From runningabar none. iamnot that stupid to go into a business that everyone else is doing. As from a customers pointof view. i have had allot. seeingbars close openand close and copenandstories of why they are closing,

I am not saying i am right. or wrong it is just what i reckon. I am not going to invest to find out unless donald trump offered me free money to make a business work theni mightgive it a shot.

The way i think ifa deal seems to good to be true then it normally is. I think you can leasea bar for 6 months fo rabout 40 k baht per month.well that was about 7 years ago. or if you wanted to invest big like the islander you are looking at about 5 to 10 million then you would have to work very hard to pay that off with no guarentee that you would.

As for having a mcdonald any where andpeople would still eat it. don''tm ke melaught.

you have to have customers to beableto sell andif it isin themiddle of nowhere then you think that peopleshall travel through dirt roads throgu a jungle get flst tires., thern walk just forabig mac.

my poinit is for a girl bar u need loadsof girls andlocation for a family style bar you need a location and good foos and drinks services.

personally i think it is too much of a rish to invest in but i would not stop someone else from doing it as i might be wrong but i also donot care if anyone else loses or wins, the SAS say who dareswinsso maybe you could email themfor advise

From runningabar none. iamnot that stupid to go into a business that everyone else is doing. As from a customers pointof view. i have had allot. seeingbars close openand close and copenandstories of why they are closing,

I am not saying i am right. or wrong it is just what i reckon. I am not going to invest to find out unless donald trump offered me free money to make a business work theni mightgive it a shot.

The way i think ifa deal seems to good to be true then it normally is. I think you can leasea bar for 6 months fo rabout 40 k baht per month.well that was about 7 years ago. or if you wanted to invest big like the islander you are looking at about 5 to 10 million then you would have to work very hard to pay that off with no guarentee that you would.

As for having a mcdonald any where andpeople would still eat it. don''tm ke melaught.

you have to have customers to beableto sell andif it isin themiddle of nowhere then you think that peopleshall travel through dirt roads throgu a jungle get flst tires., thern walk just forabig mac.

my poinit is for a girl bar u need loadsof girls andlocation for a family style bar you need a location and good foos and drinks services.

personally i think it is too much of a rish to invest in but i would not stop someone else from doing it as i might be wrong but i also donot care if anyone else loses or wins, the SAS say who dareswinsso maybe you could email themfor advise

not sure if this is a yes or a know to running a bar.