Songkran Terror Watch -- Dates And Reports

Jingthing

This is for the sensible Songkran AVOIDERS.

Participators, this isn't your thread.

People who are booked to leave town -- good move.

Those staying, it is April now.

Time to stock up and empty the local grocery shelves.

To start this out, lets talk about days and dates.

I am starting with the assumption that the madness will END on 19 April.

It seems to me the big question now is when it will START?

So far, I have been hearing the 12 April date for that.

Do people agree with that?

As the terror begins, it would be good for people to report their actual experiences on real start dates and times, and things like being attacked at 11 PM at night, etc.

(Seriously, this is NOT the thread for people to diss those who feel the need to avoid the outrageous violence of Songkran in Pattaya.)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"To start this out, lets talk about days and dates."

Bugger that ... how about a poll for the start date?

EDIT

Sorry JT, I'll go stand in the corner now and keep my trap shut.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

Now, as for starting date, it really depends on the patience and testosterone levels of the farang clowns hanging out in the beer bars itching to squirt people with their water guns etc. Sois 7 and 8 are the bellweathers. I hear that Bangkok will start on 13, so I figure it will start no later than 13, on the irresistible principle of monkey see, monkey do. Now, I wouldn't go out the evening, especially, of the 12th as there will probably be some who will be proud to be "first" and soak people when they're not expecting it. So that's why I'm leaving on the 11th.

Edited by Rimmer
Quoted reply of off topic inflammatory post edited

The official start date is the 12th (Just type in "Songkran Festival" into Google) so my guess that the monkey do, monkey see date would be late on the 11th (especially in Pattaya and especially around Soi Half a Dozen and Soi 7 & 8)

Edited by MJCM

One problem is that some people are looking to piss as many people off as possible and waiting until the "official" dates makes that more difficult as by then people are dressed in swimming suits or barricaded at home. The most effective way to get a reaction is dumping a bucket of water on someone who thinks that they are safe for another day or two.

thailand-songkran-festival-2009-water-fight.jpg

• Like 1

I think it's fair to assume you are more likely to encounter very early action on the bar sois. So in a way those places don't count as much. So far, there seems to still be a consensus that about the 12th is the start time, yes?

Edited by Jingthing

I think it's fair to assume you are more likely to encounter very early action on the bar sois. So in a way those places don't count as much. So far, there seems to still be a consensus that about the 12th is the start time, yes?

I'll guess you're not fresh off the boat, so a good estimate would be the same date as last year. rolleyes.gif

I'll guess you're not fresh off the boat, so a good estimate would be the same date as last year. rolleyes.gif

Yeah, you'd think so, but I can't remember exactly what date it started on despite enduring the festivities for 5 years. Perhaps bringing up a thread from a previous year could be a good place to start.

I am talking about THIS year. That's all that matters now. Sometimes things can shift because of dates hitting weekends and other national events.

That shouldn't be a consideration at all compared to last year as 11th and 12th fell on weekdays last year, as it will this year.

Here's last years thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/458636-songran-patta/page__hl__songran%20pattaya__st__50

There was water throwing only in the Soi 7 and 8 and some Beach Road areas on 11th and 12th.

Again, history isn't the point. Focus on this year please. If anyone has any opinion that the start date is NOT 12 April, please state your case.

Speaking of which, I think there is a case that the madness will start on 11 April instead of 12 April this year. That is because of the Princess Bejaratana funereal related bar closing on 8 to 10 April. It seems to me the trauma of no bars for three nights might motivate a spark of starting it earlier.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Night-spots-to-close-April-8-10-for-princess-funer-30178161.html

Edited by Jingthing

Well one thing is certain,there is no chance of the Children (all of them) starting late.

Thankfully I will be thousands of miles away,from this dangerous,infantile, stupid, Pantomine.

Being new to the Pattaya area, I have a couple of queries for those who have endured this in prior years. I apologize if this is a bit off topic for this thread.

First, how widespread is all the nonsense. We are up on Naklua 16, well away from Beach Road, etc. Does the craziness get this far out of central Pattaya?

Second, we unfortunately booked a non-refundable 3 day holiday on Koh Larn for the 17-19 April before I gave a thought to Songkran. I already figured out that we can take a speedboat from/to Wong Amat beach so as to avoid the Bali Hai Pier area, but does anyone have any experience as to how this goes down on Koh Larn?

Thanks!

I suggest the mods give the OP a free 10.000 post count,so he can refrain from opening silly threads with silly questions.

For ages songkran has started on the 11th in the afternoon here in Pattaya, since the 12th is the official start date for Thailand, so why it should be different this year.

Edited by pipo1000
  • Like 1

I suggest the mods give the OP a free 10.000 post count,so he can refrain from opening silly threads with silly questions.

For ages songkran has started on the 11th in the afternoon here in Pattaya, since the 12th is the official start date for Thailand, so why it should be different this year.

I tend to agree as this gives the opportunity for silly people to answer with the wrong information. The dates for Songkran 2012 has nothing to do with previous years and will start on the 13th

He's already way past 10,000 posts, try X3

Again, history isn't the point. Focus on this year please. If anyone has any opinion that the start date is NOT 12 April, please state your case.

Speaking of which, I think there is a case that the madness will start on 11 April instead of 12 April this year. That is because of the Princess Bejaratana funereal related bar closing on 8 to 10 April. It seems to me the trauma of no bars for three nights might motivate a spark of starting it earlier.

http://www.nationmul...r-30178161.html

From a Thai perspective, my gf works in a reasonably large sized company that deals internationally with food products.

Her factory is closed from 11th and reopens a week later on the 18th.

Anyway, the big day in Pattaya is the 19th, yes? I don't think Songkran avoiders have any problem with ONE crazy day. It's the ridiculously drawn out aspect of it in Pattaya and also the ambiguity about when you are safe to go out to avoid it, both dates and hours. People who think they are OK if they just wait until dark on the non peak days. NOPE.

In theory, all activity is supposed to stop at 6pm but enforcement of that is loose. Any major traffic jams on Sukhumvit over the Saturday and Sunday should abate after that however. What may be enforced more this year is the ban on high pressure water guns. It was attempted along Beach Road last year. I wish everyone a safe Songkran but it is not much point wishing you a dry one !

I hate Songkran too and hate being a prisoner to it but with so many cheap flights on Airasia, CebuPacific, and many other airlines Songkran is the perfect time to explore other parts of Asia and get away from your keyboard for awhile. There is no excuse to endlessly bitching about Songkran with so many great travel options available, unless your handicapped.