Songkran Terror Watch -- Dates And Reports

Jingthing

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hate Songkran too and hate being a prisoner to it but with so many cheap flights on Airasia, CebuPacific, and many other airlines Songkran is the perfect time to explore other parts of Asia and get away from your keyboard for awhile. There is no excuse to endlessly bitching about Songkran with so many great travel options available, unless your handicapped.

well said....very logical.

I hate Songkran too and hate being a prisoner to it but with so many cheap flights on Airasia, CebuPacific, and many other airlines Songkran is the perfect time to explore other parts of Asia and get away from your keyboard for awhile. There is no excuse to endlessly bitching about Songkran with so many great travel options available, unless your handicapped.

well said....very logical.

Suggesting you are superior for leaving town is OBNOXIOUS.

Anyway, the focus here isn't so much about bitching, it is for people who are staying, to provide the best possible information on taking actions of avoidance. Knowing the dates and times is basic. We know to stock up on provisions, of course.

As we get into the start of the "events" people can use this space to report experiences. Many of us feel somewhat OK to go out later at night on non-peak days. But how late is late enough?

Seriously, can't the people who again for whatever personal reasons are staying in town and do wish to avoid Songkran madness have this one space to not be sniped at by both Songkan madness lovers and avoiders who do choose to leave (which is a great option but NOT the option we are talking about here)?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I still can't find a way to get home to Jomtien on the morning of the 19th Bell Bus will not run & I just got this from Mr T :

มานิตย์ ปานขาว [email protected]

5:48 PM (54 minutes ago)

to me

Hi,

Sorry not available on 19th April sir

Its songkran day's in Pattaya.

Regards,

Mr.T

I'm not sure about the regular bus (would have to be the 11am if it runs) or if a taxi from the rank will take me.

Also tried VIP Limo service , no reply,,,,,,,,,,

Surely I can get down Sukumvit & Tepprrasit if I leave the airport at 09:30 AM ???

I really do not want to stay IN BKK ,,,,,, any ideas ?

Edited by stailmanki

That's a close call. The roads around those parts turn into party parking lots that day. I don't recall exactly what time of day it starts to lock up. That's a good history question. Certainly by the afternoon but I don't know about before noon. If it was me, I wouldn't try to come in on that day.

Thanks , maybe I can get my girl to come to BKK first thing ( maybe the same problem getting to BKK ?) on the 19th & over night , I wonder what the situation may be on the 20th though,,, ?

My understanding is that Songkran is long OVER in Bangkok by the 19th. Pattaya is so special. coffee1.gif

On the 20th, ALL should be clear and if someone attacks you that day, you are in your rights to use deadly force. (Joking!)

BTW, for those staying and avoiding,

May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor

Edited by Jingthing

There may be 100 different reasons for 100 different people for why they choose to stay in town and avoid. I don't think there is any need at all to explain/justify/rationalize your decision to stay and avoid, any more than we would ask people to justify their reasons for fleeing town. However, in keeping with the theme of the thread, some might say that running away from town is like caving in to Songkran terrorists. People who stay, some might say, are standing their ground, refusing to be intimidated into fleeing Dodge, and living as normally as possible, for the duration.

Edited by Jingthing

There may be 100 different reasons for 100 different people for why they choose to stay in town and avoid. I don't think there is any need at all to explain/justify/rationalize your decision to stay and avoid, any more than we would ask people to justify their reasons for fleeing town. However, in keeping with the theme of the thread, some might say that running away from town is like caving in to Songkran terrorists. People who stay, some might say, are standing their ground, refusing to be intimidated into fleeing Dodge, and living as normally as possible, for the duration.

Beam me up Scotty no signs of intelligent life here! laugh.png

Again, history isn't the point. Focus on this year please. If anyone has any opinion that the start date is NOT 12 April, please state your case.

Give it a break, mate. History is a very good indicator of exactly when it will start this year. I'd take that as a better indicator than your rambling theories.

• Like 2

Some people get really wound up about songkran hey.

I suggest the mods give the OP a free 10.000 post count,so he can refrain from opening silly threads with silly questions.

For ages songkran has started on the 11th in the afternoon here in Pattaya, since the 12th is the official start date for Thailand, so why it should be different this year.

Agreed on both points. Perhaps they could give him 20,000 posts.

I suggest the mods give the OP a free 10.000 post count,so he can refrain from opening silly threads with silly questions.

For ages songkran has started on the 11th in the afternoon here in Pattaya, since the 12th is the official start date for Thailand, so why it should be different this year.

He's already way past 10,000 posts, try X3

He was talking about adding a bonus 10,000 posts to his count.

I tend to agree as this gives the opportunity for silly people to answer with the wrong information. The dates for Songkran 2012 has nothing to do with previous years and will start on the 13th

Nonsense! The dates are the same every year.

Flying away and staying somewhere else in a hotel is not free, besides, not everybody is interested in exploring other parts of Asia but prefer staying in their home.

I agree with that. I'd prefer staying at home and relaxing with adequate provisions than traipsing around Asia wasting money to see nothing of interest just to avoid water. For single "sexpats" it may be a good idea.

Getting down to California Wow to train will be a bit tricky, but with my monsoon proof poncho I won't get wet. I'm sure the gym will be quiet, so that'll be a bonus.

Last year I didn't get wet once. I did my shopping late at night and the only time I came close to getting wet was early in the morning (3am) on the final day - on 3rd Road. Stay away from the Beach Road/2nd Road bar area even at night and you should be ok (except on the last day).

I tend to agree as this gives the opportunity for silly people to answer with the wrong information. The dates for Songkran 2012 has nothing to do with previous years and will start on the 13th

For your information only, Songkran official dates were 12 to 19 April for the past decade, and I assume that they will be same for the next decade as well.

As I said, I think the premature ejaculators will start on the 12th in the bar areas, at least. But just watch the forum. Every year TV members post notices about the water throwing as soon as it starts. It'll spread rapidly so that nowhere is safe (including the Wong Amart area, which someone asked about). One year the first dousing I got was from the apartment's security guard as I was leaving the goddam parking lot!

I still can't find a way to get home to Jomtien on the morning of the 19th Bell Bus will not run & I just got this from Mr T :

to me

Hi,

Regards,

Mr.T

I'm not sure about the regular bus (would have to be the 11am if it runs) or if a taxi from the rank will take me.

Surely I can get down Sukumvit & Tepprrasit if I leave the airport at 09:30 AM ???

Well last year from the motorway junction it took 3 hours to get to the pattaya klang turning, so no chance on Sukumvit. Should put you there about peak time.

to me

Hi,

Regards,

Mr.T

Well last year from the motorway junction it took 3 hours to get to the pattaya klang turning, so no chance on Sukumvit. Should put you there about peak time.

You gotta stay in BKK on the 19th. Deal with it.

• Like 1

to me

Hi,

Regards,

Mr.T

Thanks for the useful history from last year Marstons.

On that basis I will stay in BKK the night on 19th & make an early start on the 20th.

Not happy about having to spend the money and waste one of my precious R&R day's but I'll make the most of it.

"One Night In Bangkok"

So far, I have been hearing the 12 April date for that.

I remember getting a full bucket of water in my face the 11th april around the moat 2-3 years ago. So not sure about the 12. :)

Anyway I've stocked enough drink and food for at least 15 days, and just bought 4 video games and have hundreds of movies to watch. I'll be busy enough to forget what is happening outdoors for a week.

Living in a small town it's mostly the kids during the day who play water, it's quiet after 8 PM to go to the market to buy some food.

Happy Songkran to all. ;)

The official word is as follows:

THE EASTERN SEABOARD

CHON BURI SONGKRAN FESTIVALS

KOH SI CHANG SONGKRAN FESTIVAL

APRIL 13 - 19, 2012

Koh Si Chang Municipality and Koh Khaam Yai island, Chon Buri province

CHON BURI BANG SAEN SONGKRAN

WAN LAI SAND-STUPA BUILDING FESTIVAL

APRIL 16 - 17, 2012

On the beach in Bang Saen, Siracha district, Chon Buri province

PATTAYA-NA KLEUA SONGKRAN FESTIVAL

APRIL 18 – 20, 2012

Along the Pattaya beachfront, Wat Chaimongkon in South Pattaya, Chon Buri province

SRI MAHARAJA SONGKRAN FESTIVAL IN CHON BURI PROVINCE

APRIL 2012

At Koh Loi Park, Si Racha district, Chon Buri province

My predictions are as follows:

• Should start in Pattaya Nua full force on the 14th or 15th

• Will start in West Pattaya(beach rd, klan, tai etc,) on the 15th & 16th then full force the 17th 18th & 19th

• Also on the 15th & 16th you will see a trickle of water on the dark side. Mostly from the bars (kao noi, khao talao, nernblabwan) but not much on SSCC

• Sukhumvit will trickle on the 16th & 17th then go into full force on the 18th & 19th..(Not much on the 15th 16th )

• East Pattaya (dark side) will see full effects on the 17th 18th & 19th but again SSCC gets very little (tolerable)

Last year I just stayed on SSCC across the railway tracks and on the 18th & 19th I ventured to 7-11 in my "get wet clothes" and was sprayed just enough that it was tolerable and had a few people just pur a little water on me (I'm 50) and a little powder, the way it is supposed to be.

I have never in 11 years seen it to the point where you have to clear shelves and hoard food from the grocery stores however I would avoit Foodland at all costs on the 18th and 19th. The safest place to shop on those days if you are on the dark side is Tesco Lotus just off sukhumvit & SSCC. The smaller mini lotus's on Nernblabwan, khao talao and Khao noi you will get soaked.

Safety is always the issue for me rather than just getting wet and common sense is what is called for whether you try to avoid the water fights or whether you join in. I must admit having a car is a lot easier than riding a motorbike but getting to local stores was not a problem for me over in the "dark side" in recent years. I just drive carefully and slowly and it helps to smile and just flow with it all rather than get angry about it when you meet a celebrating group on the roads.

My perspective is living in a high action area with no car and no bike. I didn't mean to suggest that there wouldn't be stock in grocery stores, although I wouldn't be surprised to see some items depleted. I was more talking about stocking up for your own good so you can reduce the need to go out for shopping during the so called festival. Obviously everyone's situation is different based on locality and transport options.

Edited by Jingthing

to me

Hi,

Regards,

Mr.T

Have you tried this lot? contact them and find out if they are running on that day, straight to Jomtien if they are.

http://www.airportpattayabus.com/