Songkran Terror Watch -- Dates And Reports

Jingthing

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it necessary to blog on here about ones life over Songkran, "i just made some cheese on toast" was the icing on the cake, who really gives a toss about ones daily habits over this festival. Seasonal affective disorder SAD is about right.

I'm about to take a shower - then I'm going to prepare a couple of roast beef sandwiches with avocado and horseradish and brew some nice coffee and then settle down to this week's episode of American Idol where the top 7 will sing. What are doing tonight?

Pouring your missus another drink.

cheesy.gif

This would be the least safe day of the year to go out.

Yet many do and enjoy themselves immensely....

Yet it is one of the most dangerous days on the roads. No one would call it a safe day to drive and certainly not to ride a bike.

This would be the least safe day of the year to go out.

Yet many do and enjoy themselves immensely....

Yet it is one of the most dangerous days on the roads. No one would call it a safe day to drive and certainly not to ride a bike.

Fairy nuff

As a long-time expat I went out tonight for a couple hours. It was fun by and large. A couple of incidents were unpleasant and those tend to stick in your mind, but, again, by and large, I'd say 99% of time, things were quite pleasant.

Again, the unpleasant stuff sticks in your mind. The first one was as I passed by someone they decided that throwing a bowl of water full force at my back was fun. I didn't think so, but ignored the pain and moved on.

The next incident was about half an hour later--someone had *two* water cannons and was trying to shoot them at an older guy (by parking the two cannons on his thigh), but the shooter was unhappy because the older guy (who had obviously sussed him out) wouldn't turn around and let the double-water-cannon guy shoot the old guy in the face. Eventually double-water-cannon-guy shot him in the back and the back of the head. I really wanted to take those two water canons and shoot double-water-cannon-guy in the face until he finally realized that there were consequences to such an anti-social action. I meekly moved on instead, realizing that double-water-cannon-guy would be protected from his anti-social action on this day, what must be his Christmas.

There were a couple more unpleasant incidents, but nothing to write home about. A girl decided that pouring a bowl of ice down the back of my shirt was in the spirit of Songkran, and I guess I'm an evil ogre because I noticed and dumped the ice on the road. In the process, the side of the bowl cracked, so maybe she had to pay ten baht for a new bowl.

Again, the majority of people were polite and respectful. Quite a few came up and apologized as they rubbed powder on my cheeks. I said "sawat dii bee mai" and moved on. Other poured water on me and smiled and got the same reaction.

So many nice people--I shouldn't let the others spoil the fun for me, but it's difficult.

Edited by Jimmyd
  • Like 1

Yeah- It's still wet. I made the mistake that in my immediate vicinity (soi diana actually) noone was playing that it was safe to go out. But they are still doing their thing on soi boakhow and 3rd road. It does seem like the goal is to make me wreck my bike. Every bowl and water cannon was aiming for my eyes, and people would do things like hide behind something and jump out and hit me in the face with water...

Is it necessary to blog on here about ones life over Songkran, "i just made some cheese on toast" was the icing on the cake, who really gives a toss about ones daily habits over this festival. Seasonal affective disorder SAD is about right.

I'm about to take a shower - then I'm going to prepare a couple of roast beef sandwiches with avocado and horseradish and brew some nice coffee and then settle down to this week's episode of American Idol where the top 7 will sing. What are doing tonight?

send me over some of those beef sandwiches sound tasty

Anybody know if it is safe to go out tonight? ermm.gif

Its safe to go out every night...whats your problem ??

You have a car with the windows wound tightly shut. What would you know about Songkran safety when you're one of the hazards?

Those that complain the most and the loudest are but hazards to themselves.

Somone wise said that.

Well it certainly wasn't you!

Well, it is now OFFICIALLY over!

Why it just seems like YESTERDAY stocking up the cupboards as if preparing for a nuclear attack. But no it wasn't yesterday, it was over TEN DAYS ago. (Too dam_n Long!)

Anyway, happy to have served as your Whinge-Master of Ceremonies for one of this years Songkran Angst threads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hZrXdJ-ibo

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Well, it is now OFFICIALLY over

Why it just seems like YESTERDAY stocking up the cupboards as if preparing for a nuclear attack. But no it wasn't yesterday, it was over TEN DAYS ago. (Too dam_n Long!)

Did you get out at all over the 10 days? I didn't find it nearly as bad as I expected. I travelled along Pratumnak, 2nd Road, Beach Road and Soi Buakhao on my bike every afternoon over the period so I have a pretty good idea what was going on. Some days this week I went the distance staying totally dry.

12-19 i count 8 days

for those who want to come back:

HOW DOES IT LOOK TODAY THE 20TH?

thanks

It did technically start on the 11th but you would have to have serious issues if you count that as a "terror day". Even the 12th - 14th was only in very concentrated areas that most could avoid easily.

The real "terror days" (as they say) is surely only 16th - 19th.

12-19 i count 8 days

thanks

It did technically start on the 11th but you would have to have serious issues if you count that as a "terror day". Even the 12th - 14th was only in very concentrated areas that most could avoid easily.

But even the 12th - 14th can be terror days if you need to be in those area's :D

12-19 i count 8 days

thanks

But even the 12th - 14th can be terror days if you need to be in those area's biggrin.png

True, but what Expat needs to be in those areas for things other than women or booze. Most Expats don't work. There are 7/11's, laundrettes, internet shops, restaurants and just about everything else everywhere in Pattaya. Note I am talking about Expats, not tourists. The amount of people that actually have to go along beach road or the Sois on those dates must be small.

Edited by rinteln

12-19 i count 8 days

thanks

But even the 12th - 14th can be terror days if you need to be in those area's biggrin.png

True, but what Expat needs to be in those areas for things other than women or booze. Most Expats don't work. There are 7/11's, laundrettes, internet shops, restaurants and just about everything else everywhere in Pattaya. Note I am talking about Expats, not tourists. The amount of people that actually have to go along beach road or the Sois on those dates must be small.

Everyone in Jomtien who uses baht buses must pass through the South Pattaya gauntlet. That's a lot of people, mate, and many expats.

12-19 i count 8 days

thanks

i got my first soaking on the 11th 9 days. Hope today its dry

Yes. It is over. I am requesting this thread by CLOSED now. Because it is OVER. Till next year!

12-19 i count 8 days

thanks

Yes. It is over. I am requesting this thread by CLOSED now. Because it is OVER. Till next year!

And then we get to do it all over again. :(

Jingthing

We are talking about Expats not tourists. I don't know of that many expats who use the Baht buses. Even if they do its not many. Even still the Expats that might use them would/should know the route and hence going into an area they know in advance that will be a "terror area" as you call it. Also if it is an expat then he/she will know other routes......ie Theprasit road so more likely to go that way.

Again as an Expat you know in advance so if you were really bothered you then you would either go a different route, not at all or if you live in South Pattaya then you wouldnt go to Jomtien at all.

The point is for an Expat the so called terror spots are more than avoidable. Hopefully you guys can proper prepare next year.

Edited by rinteln

^ I am an expat and I have a car (2 cars to be exact) but I (so do all my expats friends I know) use Baht Buses all the time around town because ..... they are just convenient, if one is full just wait 2 minutes for the next one and ooh I almost forgot, they are cheap.

Edited by MJCM

12-19 i count 8 days

thanks

Agree on that, the thread has served us well, we all had a great time reading and contributing to it and we still have another topic that is open to clear up the loose ends so lets close this one up.

//CLOSED//