Why Farangs Suicide In Los?

approx 500,000 deaths per year.

5,000 - 6,000 of these are by suicide, just over 1%.

The topic was about Farang suicides.

Which always seems to be males. Of course men are the bigger demographic of expats here, granted. But still, havent heard of any female expat suicides (and im sure many have had their fair share of issues themselves).

Well, many of the males are 55-70 years old and can't understand why their girlfriends/wifes, some 20-30 years younger, throw them out when they have got their house, car etc. So they take the easy way out off their miseries.

Have you ever heard of a Farang woman getting involved with a 30 year younger Thai male?

Google Farang cougar Chiang Mai. It will get you some links.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no ,he bought her a very big house,then she call the cops to kick him out,the poor chap finish with nothing at heathrow airport.

or he suicide i guess!

Switzerland is number 16th on the list of countries for suicide and Thailand is 56th. Why are the Swiss so much more prone to off themselves?

Switzerland is number 16th on the list of countries for suicide and Thailand is 56th. Why are the Swiss so much more prone to off themselves?

Just think what position Thailand would drop to if the number of Tourists / Aliens here who were reported as a suicide here were removed from the list after say, more through police investigation process and reclassified as 'death by misadventure'.

EDIT

GuestHouse makes a valid comment below.

Edited by David48

We need to be very careful with suicide statistics.

Appart from the problem of suicides being recorded in Thailand that were very clearly not suicide there are often issues surrounding recording a suicide verdict where suicide carries social or religious stigma for the family of the deceased.

Suicide stats from Switzerland in particular need to be treated with caution - Assisted suicide is legal in Switzerland, healthcare for a relative large older generation is expensive and Switzerland allows foreigners to seek medical assistance to end their life in Switzerland - Suicide Tourism is the phrase.

So comparing like with like is problemstic.

We need to be very careful with suicide statistics.

Appart from the problem of suicides being recorded in Thailand that were very clearly not suicide there are often issues surrounding recording a suicide verdict where suicide carries social or religious stigma for the family of the deceased.

Suicide stats from Switzerland in particular need to be treated with caution - Assisted suicide is legal in Switzerland, healthcare for a relative large older generation is expensive and Switzerland allows foreigners to seek medical assistance to end their life in Switzerland - Suicide Tourism is the phrase.

So comparing like with like is problemstic.

Isn't Switzerland number ONE in gun suicide? I don't think that is assisted. They don't have guys going around shooting people do they?

Isn't Switzerland number ONE in gun suicide? I don't think that is assisted. They don't have guys going around shooting people do they?

No Switzerland has the highest gun suicide rate in Europe.

It also has the highst gun ownership in Europe and as indicated above (and by a recent national vote on the subject) Switzerland has a cultural acceptance of suicide.

All of the above plus ending up in a sh*t hole like PATTAYA

http://www.thaivisa....-do-they-do-it/

What makes you think Pattaya is a shithole?

It's a great place that offers a wide variety of whatever you want for reasonable price. There a great beaches within 20 km, and great ocean scenery from the city. There is a great little Island (koh Larn) only 40 minutes away by inexpensive ferry, and all the shopping a dining places you could ever want in a life time. The sleazy bar scene is only one tiny section of Pattaya. It's like picking the ghetto section of any great city in the world and saying that is representative of that city.

Oh come on Ian, it's the dumping ground for Thailand. Ask any Thai who has been there and they will tell you the same thing. I agree there are some good beaches within 20k - not in Pattaya. I also agree Koh Larn is a great little island - also not in Pattaya.

The sleazy bar scene is not a tiny section of the place, it's in your face 24 hours. The place is an out and out shitpit.

• Like 1

It's a great place that offers a wide variety of whatever you want for reasonable price. There a great beaches within 20 km, and great ocean scenery from the city. There is a great little Island (koh Larn) only 40 minutes away by inexpensive ferry, and all the shopping a dining places you could ever want in a life time. The sleazy bar scene is only one tiny section of Pattaya. It's like picking the ghetto section of any great city in the world and saying that is representative of that city.

Oh come on Ian, it's the dumping ground for Thailand. Ask any Thai who has been there and they will tell you the same thing. I agree there are some good beaches within 20k - not in Pattaya. I also agree Koh Larn is a great little island - also not in Pattaya.

The sleazy bar scene is not a tiny section of the place, it's in your face 24 hours. The place is an out and out shitpit.

You are misinformed. Thais love Pattaya. It could not exist without them. Take a look at new hotel construction and the number of Thais that vacation there daily. Open eyes. I don't know why the Falang religious right has to post on Thai Visa. Isn't there enough places for you to go in the West?

You are misinformed. Thais love Pattaya. It could not exist without them. Take a look at new hotel construction and the number of Thais that vacation there daily. Open eyes. I don't know why the Falang religious right has to post on Thai Visa. Isn't there enough places for you to go in the West?

Eyes wide open. Certain Thais love Pattaya, sure. Religious right? I'm not in 'the west'.

The nightlife here beats any other place by a wide margin,

try going out in Chantaburi or Vientienne without getting depressed of boredom

Really? If your idea of 'nightlife' is having your ego stroked by some gold digger whilst playing connect 4 or witnessing dopey Farang making complete fools of themselves then I agree.

The nightlife here beats any other place by a wide margin,

try going out in Chantaburi or Vientienne without getting depressed of boredom

Really? If your idea of 'nightlife' is having your ego stroked by some gold digger whilst playing connect 4 or witnessing dopey Farang making complete fools of themselves then I agree.

My idea of night life is drinking fresh brewed German beer while listening to opera. Pattaya? Ya. Or lunch at the Hilton buffet while watching the ocean. I am not mocking your home. Why would you mock mine. Especially when you don't have a clue what you are talking about. If you want to see a dopey Farang you only have to look in the mirror.

What kinds of medicine would do the job reliably ?

Valium ?

valium would take far too much (hundreds of tablets to guarantee death )

barbituates would be better or a heavy sedative mixed with say a litre of whisky or vodka and you wil just drift off and your vital functions wil stop before you regain consciousnes

paracetamol can work by shutdown your liver but it would hurt like nothing else if it doesnt work 100% smile.png

Pain may become unbearable one of these days, so can you name a couple of drugs available ?

Speaking of which: I believe many here are on a medical retirement, and if it's going downhill why suffer ?

it doesnt take "unstable person" for that, but rather rational person with resolve

Don't do it poanoi, just get out of sin city and see some more of what Thailand or indeed the world has to offer.

Sin city!!! Sin is a Western concept. Try getting out of your Western religious chastity helmet and look at Thailand from the point of view of a Thai.

kerryk - Please don't take it personally when I 'mock your home' it's just my opinion of the place. I have been there twice in my younger days and although I enjoyed the first visit as a young single man, on my second visit I found the place rather tedious. I don't know where you get this idea that I am a religious person from.

kerryk - Please don't take it personally when I 'mock your home' it's just my opinion of the place. I have been there twice in my younger days and although I enjoyed the first visit as a young single man, on my second visit I found the place rather tedious. I don't know where you get this idea that I am a religious person from.

For some reason here on TV it seems to be OK to trash Pattaya. There are posters who make an anti Pattaya connection whatever is being discussed, Semper for example.

I only make the religious connection because there are religious nuts around who see sin everywhere in Thailand and Pattaya at the top of the sin heap and you refer to it as sin city. My gosh have you looked at the new mega hotels outside of the city?

I don't live in Pattaya anymore. I only go when my GF's drag me and do the driving. They like to go to the movies and dinner and shopping there. The Russians have completely changed the town in the past couple of years anyway. Now if you like blond, built, ladies in short shorts it is the place to be.

I have lived in Pattaya for over 2000 days. I know the place pretty well. Honest, it takes at least a year to get a feel for the city.

You really don't have a clue what you are talking about and should shut up in the interest of accuracy and fairness.

Edited by kerryk

When the Embassy issues a visa to Thailand maybe they should charge an extra dollar to offset the cost of dealing with all the suicides......That could be a real money maker for the government.

It must be a terrible mental conflict that drives a human to suicide. I can't imagine doing it to myself.

Well, we can agree to disagree. I tend to ignore what I don't like. I know a guy who lives in a cave year-round. I'm sure he would agree with you if you could get him to talk... but he doesn't talk to anyone. I've spent many evenings playing pool in the Diana bar right in the heart of Pattaya. We've never been bothered by hookers but the waitresses are helpful when needed. And, there are usually a couple of good singing acts. The drinks and food is reasonable and much cheaper than the more classy tourist areas in Bangkok, Phuket and Koh Samui. Pattaya is a HUGE improvement over places like Phuket or Bangkok.

I stay up in Chiang Mai that suits me just fine, but my friends in Pattaya love their golf and play 3 or 4 times a week on first class courses. I just go down to visit them once a year. I can't remember the last time that I took a woman out of a Pattaya bar.

Dah_Boyz.sized.jpg

Sailboat_from_beach_2.jpg

I've lived in Pattaya on and off for the past 20 years (always for spells each lasting more than two years).

On paper it has everything, Good Hotels, Good Restaurants, International Schools, International Hospitals, the list goes on.

The problem is Pattaya plays to the lowest common denominator. The string of Mafias running the curb space, the 'payments' that allow businesses to break the zoning and the noise laws, the all pervasive sex industry (sorry Ian, it is everywhere and one does not have to be in the slightest bit religious to see the downside of the sex industry in Pattaya - one needs only be a parent of the kind of family Pattaya proclaims it is trying to attract).

The beach front, what a great improvement - expensive to landscape and maintain but what a fabulous public space for us all to share - had it not been handed over to prostitutes and their Johns. (Like they need more space).

And those international schools, hotels and hospitals.

The expats with the real deal send their kids to real international schools in BKK, likewise the place for healthcare is not Pattaya it is Bangkok. Pattaya's hotels, well they believe the publicity they write for themselves in the local press.

And we haven't even got to the subject of Pattaya's low end clientel yet. Pattaya has very sucessfully marketed itself to the dregs if international tourism. The place is swarming with them.

Like Ian I sprnd a great deal of time up north, if I didn't get paid to be in Pattaya I'd never set foot in the place.

Unlike Ian I admit to the observation that whenever returning to Pattaya from travels elsewhere in Thailand or abroad I'm always impresses by the distinct low life look of large numbers of foreigners who have washed up there.

Pattaya has the makings of a great place but it will always always play to the lowest common denominator and attract the low life end of the tourist market.

• Like 1

When the Embassy issues a visa to Thailand maybe they should charge an extra dollar to offset the cost of dealing with all the suicides......That could be a real money maker for the government.

It must be a terrible mental conflict that drives a human to suicide. I can't imagine doing it to myself.

with face same avator i would of done this long time before

hit-the-fan.gif You are a happy bugger!

I've lived in Pattaya on and off for the past 20 years (always for spells each lasting more than two years).

On paper it has everything, Good Hotels, Good Restaurants, International Schools, International Hospitals, the list goes on.

The problem is Pattaya plays to the lowest common denominator. The string of Mafias running the curb space, the 'payments' that allow businesses to break the zoning and the noise laws, the all pervasive sex industry (sorry Ian, it is everywhere and one does not have to be in the slightest bit religious to see the downside of the sex industry in Pattaya - one needs only be a parent of the kind of family Pattaya proclaims it is trying to attract).

The beach front, what a great improvement - expensive to landscape and maintain but what a fabulous public space for us all to share - had it not been handed over to prostitutes and their Johns. (Like they need more space).

And those international schools, hotels and hospitals.

The expats with the real deal send their kids to real international schools in BKK, likewise the place for healthcare is not Pattaya it is Bangkok. Pattaya's hotels, well they believe the publicity they write for themselves in the local press.

And we haven't even got to the subject of Pattaya's low end clientel yet. Pattaya has very sucessfully marketed itself to the dregs if international tourism. The place is swarming with them.

Like Ian I sprnd a great deal of time up north, if I didn't get paid to be in Pattaya I'd never set foot in the place.

Unlike Ian I admit to the observation that whenever returning to Pattaya from travels elsewhere in Thailand or abroad I'm always impresses by the distinct low life look of large numbers of foreigners who have washed up there.

Pattaya has the makings of a great place but it will always always play to the lowest common denominator and attract the low life end of the tourist market.

Absolutely correct if you have not been there in the past two years. You are absolutely wrong if you are talking about the past two years. But like so many people on this forum you think your experience transcends time. It does not. Things change. Pattaya has changed dramatically in the past two years. If you had lived there for any length of time during the past two years you would know this.

I know this topic is one which is traditionally a source mirth, but I can't help but thinking that it would be good if it could be used to highlight the plight of those with depression and point out that (from what little I know) that there are counsellors available in places like Bangkok who can help deal with issues that people have.

I'm sure these people we are talking about come to Thailand in an attempt to escape/run away/put behind whatever their issues are. They may even think they are making a new start when in fact the problems don't go away, and Thailand and its vices can help to magnify these pre-existing issues.

If people knew that there were people who can potentially help, and potentially ole george could even have a sub forum in the health section similar to the giving up smoking forum, as a space where people can speak without the usual cynics (inc moi), and with links to practitioners, then potentially it could be a good and useful outlet that can help save someone's life.

• Like 2

I know this topic is one which is traditionally a source mirth, but I can't help but thinking that it would be good if it could be used to highlight the plight of those with depression and point out that (from what little I know) that there are counsellors available in places like Bangkok who can help deal with issues that people have.

I'm sure these people we are talking about come to Thailand in an attempt to escape/run away/put behind whatever their issues are. They may even think they are making a new start when in fact the problems don't go away, and Thailand and its vices can help to magnify these pre-existing issues.

If people knew that there were people who can potentially help, and potentially ole george could even have a sub forum in the health section similar to the giving up smoking forum, as a space where people can speak without the usual cynics (inc moi), and with links to practitioners, then potentially it could be a good and useful outlet that can help save someone's life.

These are very good points Samran, thank you for making them. But the problem is not just one of dealing with problems when they become crtical. I and a few others here consistantly advise people who ask about moving to Thailand in the wake of Divorce, Bereavment, Serious Illness, enforced redundancy or other life traumas to seek advice and councelling so at the very least understand there vulnerability.

The result is always the same. We have a raft of guys advising that the 24/7 party, booze and girls will cure all their ills and we are invariably reminded that the definition of good advice is that which supports the pre- held views of the person asking for the advice. Bad advice being that which contradicts those pre-held views.

The voice of reason is always hard to hear in a crowd.

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 1

Why Farangs Suicide In Los?

Not happy at home. Have an empty life. Dream of moving to paradise.

Move to paradise, spend a few months shagging everything, living the dream.

Slowly realize that they're life is just as empty.

But now what, they're in paradise, they're still unhappy, probably had more than a few months of depressant drug such as alcohol in their system, probably feel they can't return to the West, how will they be happy there if they're not happy here?!?

Good night Irene.

Well, we can agree to disagree. I tend to ignore what I don't like. I know a guy who lives in a cave year-round. I'm sure he would agree with you if you could get him to talk... but he doesn't talk to anyone. I've spent many evenings playing pool in the Diana bar right in the heart of Pattaya. We've never been bothered by hookers but the waitresses are helpful when needed. And, there are usually a couple of good singing acts. The drinks and food is reasonable and much cheaper than the more classy tourist areas in Bangkok, Phuket and Koh Samui. Pattaya is a HUGE improvement over places like Phuket or Bangkok.

I stay up in Chiang Mai that suits me just fine, but my friends in Pattaya love their golf and play 3 or 4 times a week on first class courses. I just go down to visit them once a year. I can't remember the last time that I took a woman out of a Pattaya bar.

Dah_Boyz.sized.jpg

Sailboat_from_beach_2.jpg

Good attitude Ian, we can find good or bad in any place, we are the filter that everything goes trough, what comes out the other end is up to us.

These are very good points Samran, thank you for making them. But the problem is not just one of dealing with problems when they become crtical. I and a few others here consistantly advise people who ask about moving to Thailand in the wake of Divorce, Bereavment, Serious Illness, enforced redundancy or other life traumas to seek advice and councelling so at the very least understand there vulnerability.

The result is always the same. We have a raft of guys advising that the 24/7 party, booze and girls will cure all their ills and we are invariably reminded that the definition of good advice is that which supports the pre- held views of the person asking for the advice. Bad advice being that which contradicts those pre-held views.

The voice of reason is always hard to hear in a crowd.

Good points made by you and Samran. Unfortunately, you can tell an alcoholic not to drink or a chain smoker not to smoke but it won't do any good... even though it's a one way road to disaster. A person has to WANT to change and actually have the strength to do so. Two people can be in exactly the same depressing situation and one will perish and the other will survive and get better. I actually don't see a lot wrong with suicide. If life is too miserable and hurting then it's a personal choice to end the suffering. Men who commit suicide usually just get on with it with little or no fanfare. Women tend to make several failed attempts at it in some sort of call for help, or some twisted logic of punishing those that are in some way deemed responsible for their depression.

I was depressed after my second marriage ended, but I can always turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. All it takes is to stand back, analyze the situation and search for something good about it. No matter what the so called disaster, I've always been able to find something positive about it. In my case I realized I had my freedom back and I only had to worry about me and not try to please anyone else. When a friend invited me to come to Thailand I thought why not. It's been an upward progress since then. I never realized this world existed... but then I have an adequate pension for one person, everything I own in Canada is paid for and I'm quite happy living a frugal life. I've always thought that pomp and splendour was a total waste of resources, time and money.

Good post, Kerry, I agree with you. And, on the subject of Hemingway, he fancied himself as the ultimate man's man. When he found out he had prostate cancer and his "lovin days" were over, he didn't think life was worth living any more. He had ALREADY done the so called "manly" adventure things in life and would never again be able to live up to his reputation. He couldn't picture himself sitting in a rocking chair telling tall tales to his grand children.

Anyone with half a brain could look at Thailand as a whole and say the whole place is a shithole. It just goes along with a person's personal view of life. There is much wrong with Thailand, and it starts at the very top that we are not allowed to discuss. But, when you balance it against other countries, and ones own personal outlook and wants, then Thailand is a pretty nice place to be.

My general feeling is that many farang dislike the fact that they and their wives are associated with prostitution because of all the punters. Pattaya is like the code word for punter as Kerry pointed out. But the mistake Kerry or Ian make is that these couples are jealous of the punters and bar girls or that they are religious nuts. No of course not. They just have an imagine of themselves and dislike the association. They are self conscious. Most human beings are this way. That is why they bath, wear nice clothes, brush their teeth, shave, comb their hair, speak politely.

The general response to this statement is that they should not care what people think. Good advice. But for many, it appears easier said than done.

You also have to wonder what the punters tell everyone back home. Do they let everyone back home know what they are getting up to? Do they email their coworkers and children pictures of last nights snag? Or does everyone back home think they love Thailand for it's culture and temples? Perhaps the sex tourists are also concerned about their imagine, just not in Thailand? What about all the business men with wives back home? Perhaps one should setup a permanent 24 hour webcam on Walking Street and see how that goes with all the uninhibited punters who detest being hated for their natural sexual prowness.