"True" Docsis Cable Modem (Cisco Epc2325)

kriswillems

I use True for internet access.True gave me a cable modem of cisco: the cisco EPC2325.

This modem is set as a router.

My computer gets an ip address like this: 192.168.1.x

The IP address of the CISCO 2325 on the LAN is 192.168.1.1

The IP address of the CISCO 2325 on the WAN is a public IP address.

I can access the admin pages on 192.168.1.1 but there's no option to change to bridge mode.

There's a hidden admin page on 192.168.1.1/GatewayMode.asp that allows me to switch to bridge mode, but I get no public IP address on the PC connected to the modem (via a LAN cable) when doing so.

I disabled the wireless LAN on the CISCO2325 and only use the (wired) LAN.

I want to get a real public IP address on my computer (which is connected to the LAN port of the modem) because certain protocols (especially some VPN protocols) don't work behind a router and I don't want to setup portforwarding to fix this.

I read somewhere on a Thai forum that according to a certain installer the modem can not be set as a bridge because TRUE filters on MAC addresses. When the modem would be setup as a bridge, the TRUE head-end would see the MAC address of the PC on the DOCSIS network and block this address from having internet access. Is this true?

The installer I got didn't even know the difference between a router and a bridge and he didn't know the difference between a local and public IP address. Other people from true were also unable to help me.

Did anyone manage to set their true cable modem as a bridge?

(in my home country DOCSIS modems are usually setup as a bridge)

Edited by kriswillems

I assume the EPC2325 Wifi router is working fine for you. I'm on True DOCSIS and when I had a EPC2325 for around 9 months it worked fine, to include use of VPN protocols like PPTP, SSTP, and LT2P (I use StrongVPN service). I now have a Thomson TCW 750-4 Wifi router since some Cisco EPC 2325's (not all apparently) developed a upload speed firmware incompatibility problem due to a recent True DOCSIS system upgrade. The various VPN protocols also work fine on my Thomson...no additional setup to do just like the Cisco.

Still unclear as to why you think you need to put it in Bridge mode. Not so sure about the remark that once set to bridge mode that the True system will no longer see the router....I think the True DOCSIS system keys in on the MAC address and serial number of the router which won't change regardless of mode.

To find the Public WAN IP address you can just use any of the many IP address identifiers like the one on the ThaiVisa homepage under the Speedtest pull down menu. Keep in mind that IP address will change periodically as it's not a static IP....it don't change everyday like most ADSL systems do, but it does change periodically. To find your internal IP address in the 192 series just use the Windows ipconfig command...even this Dynamic IP address will change periodically (depends on the lease time setup in the router...and even when whatever lease time expires it may just reassign the same IP address).

You can also see the external and internal IP addresses when accessing the router's firmware menu assuming most of the menus are activated. When I first got my EPC2325 only a few of the firmware's menus were activated/available to view/change settings...then about a month later apparently after a firmware upgrade was automatically pushed to the router all the menus (except one or two in the Advanced menu) were open/available. Different story for my current Thomson router...all the firmware menus were available from the get-go....but really there is very little difference between the Cisco and Thomson Wifi router menus in terms of available settings....pretty much just some difference in the menu layout....that is, go here instead of there for setting XYZ.

Yes, pptp and ipsec work fine because the router has helper function for these protocols (which can be enabled or disabled in the menus), but there are for sure other protocols that don't work behind a router (like the gobby collaborative editor in ubuntu, which doesn't use uPnP yet, for setting up the port-forwarding).

Another reason reason why I want to have a public IP address, is that I might use my own router in the future (with DD-WRT or tomato) which has QOS and other settings, which the cisco router doesn't have.

Of course I can put my own router behind the cisco router, but then I'll have a double NAT.

I don't really trust double NAT systems and I am not sure uPnP will work fine behind the double NAT.

(uPnP was disabled by default in the cisco router, which is a bit strange). I suppose I have to enable uPnP on both routers in this setup?

Also, I want to access my admin pages of my own router from the internet.

Normally I would setup DDNS to get to the admin page of my router, but because my own router is behind the CISCO router, I'll not get to the admin pages of my router.

I can probably solve this with port-forwarding (on the cisco router) the external port 8081 to 8081 of my router (my admin pages are on port 8081, not the standard http port, 80).

This way I might be able to access my admin pages as normal: www.myurl.com:8081

www.myurl.com will point to the public IP address of my cisco router, which will forward port 8081 to port 8081 of my own router.

I'll try this this evening.

Anyway, there are various reasons why having a public IP address is better than having a local IP address.

• 3 months later...

How do I log into my Cisco EPC2325?

I have tried blank username and password: admin (as supplied by Cisco manual) but still can't log in to change the settings.

Please help.

Thanks.

As delivered by True mine was username= admin

password = password

Edited by ThaidDown
  • Like 1

Thank you, but that doesn't allow you to access"Advance" settings. It requires another higher privilege user name.

Can I root the router?

Cisco router is to be avoided, too much restrictions.

For me no problem accessing 'Advanced Settings' (options,ip address filtering,MAC address filt ..etc) under the 'setup' tab. But the 'advanced' tab on the home page gives

"This feature is not enabled.

This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem.

To exit this page, chose any of the other tabs or click on the "Back" button on your browser tool bar to return to the previous page. "

so no option to enter further password

• 2 months later...

I just got my cable model installed. I'm currently on TRUE ADSL.

I too have the EPC2325 and will be setting the modem/router to bridge mode to use my ddwrt based router to handle all the network routing.

It is quite common for docsis providers to filter by MAC. That is why I expect I will have to clone the MAC of my registered modem into my router. This is quite common practice.

I will start working on this tomorrow as I don't have tome to mess with it today. I will post my results.

I just got my cable model installed. I'm currently on TRUE ADSL.

I too have the EPC2325 and will be setting the modem/router to bridge mode to use my ddwrt based router to handle all the network routing.

It is quite common for docsis providers to filter by MAC. That is why I expect I will have to clone the MAC of my registered modem into my router. This is quite common practice.

I will start working on this tomorrow as I don't have tome to mess with it today. I will post my results.

Looking forward for your update on turning EPC2325 to bridge mode

When True installed DOCSIS 50M at my place, they brought an awful Thomson modem/router which I couldn't switch to bridge mode to use my Linksys E4200 all-singing, all-dancing router.

Customer services said they could send me a new modem which they did; a virtually bomb-proof Motorola. Works great and, with DD-WRT on the E4200, there's a lot of flexibility in terms of set up.

Toss the Cisco, get a Moto

• Like 1

When True installed DOCSIS 50M at my place, they brought an awful Thomson modem/router which I couldn't switch to bridge mode to use my Linksys E4200 all-singing, all-dancing router.

Customer services said they could send me a new modem which they did; a virtually bomb-proof Motorola. Works great and, with DD-WRT on the E4200, there's a lot of flexibility in terms of set up.

Toss the Cisco, get a Moto

I can't "toss" it as it's owned by TRUE. Are you suggesting that they swapped it out to the moto one for free? If so I will be calling them straight away and asking them to do the same.

Are you suggesting that they swapped it out to the moto one for free?

I am

Thank you.. I'll be on the phone with them straight away.. No need to fuss around with the cisco if the moto is the better option.

I typically am a great fan of Cisco network gear. Back in the US it was the moto cable modems that we could "hack" and uncap out modem speeds. I wonder if that is possible out here?

Why insist on bridge mode? Just set up dmz to your routers static ip (192.168.1.10 for example) and it will redirect all traffic to your ddwrt router which you can use it to distrubute (re route) to your home networking. Thats what i am doing with my thomson 770wh

Why insist on bridge mode? Just set up dmz to your routers static ip (192.168.1.10 for example) and it will redirect all traffic to your ddwrt router which you can use it to distrubute (re route) to your home networking. Thats what i am doing with my thomson 770wh

Certainly there is more than one way to do it. I prefer to bridge the modem to the router.

With DOCSIS there is typically no login/password for the net connection. The first thing you do when you setup your modem on a new cable is provision the line. Basically that is registering your modem's MAC with the provider. So after you bridge then you will need to clone your modem's MAC to your router as that is what the ISP will see and have you provisioned with.

Remember, on a cable connection you can sniff all the traffic that is flowing around your neighborhood on that cable. That is provided you have the tools. I used to sniff cable in LV to log provisioned MAC and then spoof them in my modem to get a faster connection than that provisioned by my modem.

That is provided you have the tools. I used to sniff cable in LV to log provisioned MAC and then spoof them in my modem to get a faster connection than that provisioned by my modem

200mb True Docsis anyone for 1200thb a month??

20Mb is 1200.. I got the 15MB that comes with basic cable (72 channels) for 899thb per month

The thing is, back when I was "testing" modems it was still DOCSIS ver 1 and then 1.1 was tricky. Now ver 2 is used for 15MB and 20MB and you will need v3 for >20MB.

No idea what the current status is on "testing" cable modems but I can tell you you'd need to flash your modem with special hardware that allows you to do things that are normally not part of its feature set.

we used to use these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-SURFboard-SB4200-Cable-Modem-HACK-SNIFFER-TAB-/140493546862?pt=PCC_Modems&hash=item20b611656e

Now I know for sure that I was able to get >20MB speeds even using ver 1 back in the day. No idea if the higher versions are now required or forced for faster speeds. I do know that TRUE will require you to have a DOCSIS v3 modem if you want >20MB from them

Edited by Jayman

20Mb is 1200.. I got the 15MB that comes with basic cable (72 channels) for 899thb per month

Based on the TrueOnline promotion at Link 1 below it appears the 15, 20, and 50Mb cable internet plans now come with the basic 72 channels (appears to be the Knowledge package or a variant of it...missing many of the movie and English language channels...but still a good TV package for most Thais and others), and 200 calling minutes...I expect this means a person would get a True SIM. And the 100 and 200Mb plans come with Goldlite and Goldlite HD, respectively, and 300 calling minutes.

Not a bad deal at all compared to signing-up for an internet plan only....True is ultimately forcing more competition with these types of promotions and driving down internet plan prices which is a good deal for everyone.

Link 1

Link 2 (this link appears to show the TV channel line-up also although it don't seem to count-up to 72 channels...counts up to around 75...probably a Knowledge package variant. )

Based on the TrueOnline promotion at Link 1 below it appears the 15, 20, and 50Mb cable internet plans now come with the basic 72 channels (appears to be the Knowledge package or a variant of it...missing many of the movie and English language channels...but still a good TV package for most Thais and others), and 200 calling minutes...I expect this means a person would get a True SIM. And the 100 and 200Mb plans come with Goldlite and Goldlite HD, respectively, and 300 calling minutes.

Not a bad deal at all compared to signing-up for an internet plan only....True is ultimately forcing more competition with these types of promotions and driving down internet plan prices which is a good deal for everyone.

Link 1

Link 2 (this link appears to show the TV channel line-up also although it don't seem to count-up to 72 channels...counts up to around 75...probably a Knowledge package variant. )

Does it valid for existing customers? i use 20mb for 2 months and there was no promotion of free minutes or truevision channels.

I just had my cable installed for this 15M promo. They cane and ran the cable to the modem and then a 2nd cable to another room for the TV. You have to pay a 500thb deposit for each TV box you want. We are existing TRUE adsl customers and they signed us a new contract for the cable net. I will cut my ADSM soon once I'm feeling confident in the new cable..

Just now am I on my cable connection and came back to this link to get the link to the page to change to bridge mode. Will report back soon if I got it working.

Link 1

Does it valid for existing customers? i use 20mb for 2 months and there was no promotion of free minutes or truevision channels.

My guess would be no as promotions come and go...sometimes only open for a few months...then gone. But you could call and ask...you may get lucky. If you do call I would confirm the details of the 200 free minutes...that is, is it for landline minutes which means they would need to install a True phone line which would probably come with a monthly B107 charge or is it for True cellphone minutes. If for True cellphone minutes be sure that 200 "free" minutes truly is free. About 4 years ago when first got TrueVisions, the promotion at the time also included 300 free minutes with a free True SIM provided....however, you still paid a monthly service charge of B300 so the minutes really were not free...but those details where buried in the fine print. I'm sure you'll seen Thai promotions where something sounds free but it really ain't....True use to be very, very bad in using misleading promotions but not so much now.

I'm on the 20Mb/2Mb plan also...have been since June 11 when it first went operational in my Bangkok moobaan. During that promotion the installation was free--which is getting to be routine for many promotions---, free Wifi router, first 3 months are half price (B649.50 vs the standard B1299), and a couple months of free HD when they had around 7-10 HD channels...but since I'm on on the Platinum TV package all 17 HD channels are now free to Platinum folks. Yeap, promotions come and go....some better than others...and they all come with fine print.

Edited by Pib

ok.. I'm convinced.. this cisco firmware is total crap. TRUE is coming tomorrow to bring me a motorola.

just fyi.. once you set the modem to bridge mode it seems to no longer be accessible by the default 192.168.1.1 and changed to 192.168.100.1

Link 1

My guess would be no as promotions come and go...sometimes only open for a few months...then gone. But you could call and ask...you may get lucky. If you do call I would confirm the details of the 200 free minutes...that is, is it for landline minutes which means they would need to install a True phone line which would probably come with a monthly B107 charge or is it for True cellphone minutes. If for True cellphone minutes be sure that 200 "free" minutes truly is free. About 4 years ago when first got TrueVisions, the promotion at the time also included 300 free minutes with a free True SIM provided....however, you still paid a monthly service charge of B300 so the minutes really were not free...but those details where buried in the fine print. I'm sure you'll seen Thai promotions where something sounds free but it really ain't....True use to be very, very bad in using misleading promotions but not so much now.

I'm on the 20Mb/2Mb plan also...have been since June 11 when it first went operational in my Bangkok moobaan. During that promotion the installation was free--which is getting to be routine for many promotions---, free Wifi router, first 3 months are half price (B649.50 vs the standard B1299), and a couple months of free HD when they had around 7-10 HD channels...but since I'm on on the Platinum TV package all 17 HD channels are now free to Platinum folks. Yeap, promotions come and go....some better than others...and they all come with fine print.

The minutes are for TRUE landline service which they don't offer here in Pattaya (so I was told by the 1686 rep). We do however have an ADSL line installed from true that runs in on phone line but has no number and is just plugged direct into the adsl modem.

Ohhh I should add... starting next month they told me they will jack up all the transmission rates for ADSL users. So if you want to get the higher speed for same price or lower price for current speed then call next month as ask. They rep told me that as well.

Edited by Jayman

just fyi.. once you set the modem to bridge mode it seems to no longer be accessible by the default 192.168.1.1 and changed to 192.168.100.1

It's normal because in bridge mode the modem has to be on a different subnet than the router. Since the most common default address for a consumer level router is 192.168.1.1, retaining that address (or the 192.168.1.x subnet) for the modem would cause problems for people that aren't aware of the need to change subnet.

Ohhh I should add... starting next month they told me they will jack up all the transmission rates for ADSL users. So if you want to get the higher speed for same price or lower price for current speed then call next month as ask. They rep told me that as well.

Thanks! Good info. It irritates me a bit that I pay more for a 12/1 ADSL connection (with no extras) than a DOCSIS 20/2. Unfortunately ADSL is the best I can get at my house and according to TRUE 12/1 is the highest speed.

It's normal because in bridge mode the modem has to be on a different subnet than the router. Since the most common default address for a consumer level router is 192.168.1.1, retaining that address (or the 192.168.1.x subnet) for the modem would cause problems for people that aren't aware of the need to change subnet.

once you are bridging you have tuend off the router function.. that's the point. You don't run the modem in bridge and router mode at same time. It's one or the other. Router= modem acts as router. Bridge = no router function.

On all my other modems when changed into bridge mode the LAN ip never changes.. but this one did and no notice of it either.. Took me some time to even figure it out.

Thanks! Good info. It irritates me a bit that I pay more for a 12/1 ADSL connection (with no extras) than a DOCSIS 20/2. Unfortunately ADSL is the best I can get at my house and according to TRUE 12/1 is the highest speed.

A common issue across Thailand in terms of have limited choices in your internet service provider and/or landline provider. Until True installed cable TV/internet in my Bangkok moobaan my choices for internet and landline provider were TOT, TOT, or TOT as they had total phone line rights to my moobaan. But as mentioned that somewhat changed in 2011 when True installed cable TV and internet in my moobaan (10-100Mb internet...probably up to 200Mb now), but still could not install phone lines/service. So, my cable TV and internet is provided by True and my landline service by TOT.

TOT's fastest ADSL service to my moobaan was 6Mb...it may be higher now because after the flood in late 2011 they installed new fiber optics junction boxes...and installed these boxes up on the poles versus being at ground level to guard against future flooding impacts. Haven't asked if the ADSL service speed has increased after these upgrades....don't really care....my True DOCSIS 20Mb/2Mb plan has been rock solid since day one of installation...didn't even go down nor did the cable TV during the late 2011 flooding when I had around a meter of water in my moobaan for almost a month. TOT can't say the same for its internet service during the flood since their junction boxes in my moobaan were at ground level and under water/shorted out.

once you are bridging you have tuend off the router function.. that's the point. You don't run the modem in bridge and router mode at same time. It's one or the other. Router= modem acts as router. Bridge = no router function.

On all my other modems when changed into bridge mode the LAN ip never changes.. but this one did and no notice of it either.. Took me some time to even figure it out.

Yes it's true that once in bridge mode the router and modem communicate at the Data Link Layer (Level 2) not the Network Layer (Level 3). However since the modem needs to be accessible for configuration via TCP/IP, it still need a fixed IP address. And since the modem is connected to the router's WAN port, it "MUST" be on a different subnet than the LAN. If it is on the same subnet, it either won't work at all or will behave erratically.

I only suggested it because from your post you seemed surprised that, once in bridge mode the modem changed subnet. That's normal behaviour and if you're not aware of that, could be why you're having problems getting it to work.

A common issue across Thailand in terms of have limited choices in your internet service provider and/or landline provider. Until True installed cable TV/internet in my Bangkok moobaan my choices for internet and landline provider were TOT, TOT, or TOT as they had total phone line rights to my moobaan. But as mentioned that somewhat changed in 2011 when True installed cable TV and internet in my moobaan (10-100Mb internet...probably up to 200Mb now), but still could not install phone lines/service. So, my cable TV and internet is provided by True and my landline service by TOT.

TOT's fastest ADSL service to my moobaan was 6Mb...it may be higher now because after the flood in late 2011 they installed new fiber optics junction boxes...and installed these boxes up on the poles versus being at ground level to guard against future flooding impacts. Haven't asked if the ADSL service speed has increased after these upgrades....don't really care....my True DOCSIS 20Mb/2Mb plan has been rock solid since day one of installation...didn't even go down nor did the cable TV during the late 2011 flooding when I had around a meter of water in my moobaan for almost a month. TOT can't say the same for its internet service during the flood since their junction boxes in my moobaan were at ground level and under water/shorted out.

My problem is that though I have both TRUE and TOT phone lines (both with ADSL) nether of them seem interested in offering anything better than the ADSL I already have, at any price. My house is at the end of a Soi but only 500-600 metres from the main road where I am quite certain both DOCSIS & TOT's FTTH would be available. I would happily subscribe to either of those at the maximum speed available but whenever I have my staff call them (TOT or TRUE) they just say no, it's not available and they have no idea when/if that will change in the future.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can find more info or who I could call to find out the real situation. Cheers.

I wouldn't bet on DOCSIS or FTTH being on a main road....both of these systems are still limited in their coverage area but expanding out. About all you can do is call the offices which you have done. Usually when DOCSIS/FTTH comes to an area the internet provider will make an extra effort to advertise it in that area lke through fliers put in the mailbox/gate...put signs up....even open up a sign-up booth in the area for several weekends. That's what True did in my moobaan when they finally got real close to going operational with the cable TV and internet...it took them around 7 months to install the trunk line throughout the moobaan of around 750 single family homes/many sois...and they did not piece meal going operational by bringing up the system soi by soi...they wanted until every soi in the moobaan was wired and then opened up sales/installation.

And what I've seen in numerous other posts regarding DOCSIS, while a True service center may say there is service in your area a person's residence may be just outside the area and you won't know this until a True technician actually comes out to see if the system can be installed. It appears a residence needs to be within approx 100 meters max of the DOCSIS trunk line (preferably 75 meters max I think) which may or may not be on that main road you mention in order to allow installation.