Loy Kroh

WinnieTheKhwai

When doing this post ( http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__5187330 ) I wanted to put in an English meaning of Loy Kroh (as in the name of the temple in Chiang Mai, and the road that goes alongside it), but found it really hard to come up with something in English that's a good road name and explains the concept.

Is there anyone better versed in Buddhism than I who can shed some light on this?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Starter:

Loy -- Literally: Float. Or on a spiritual level: absolve, liberate, release

Kroh -- Fate, chance, destiny; I wonder if the negative is implied; otherwise why would you want to release it or be liberated from it. Although Buddhism can be so bloody Jedi at times that good and bad become meaningless. As in to move beyond your personal, physical fate, a detachment from good or bad fortune.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

The word liberate does not necessarily mean freed “from” something. As in a step toward liberation as opposed to a step away from oppression (semantics maybe, but philosophies of all sorts play that game). Or: a purposeful positive move ( a liberation) toward one's destiny.

The word liberate does not necessarily mean freed “from” something. As in a step toward liberation as opposed to a step away from oppression (semantics maybe, but philosophies of all sorts play that game). Or: a purposeful positive move ( a liberation) toward one's destiny.

In this case a liberation towards ones base desires of sex of all kinds and booze.

The Holy Welsh Presbyterian Church in all it`s wisdom decided to send one of it`s breatharian to investigate and find a solution to the plight and sufferings of the city’s poorest residents.

The breatharians have a really tough time during the burning season.

• Like 1

Sawasdusty Lungcake, CM TV friends,

While I think Khun Beetlejuice's elegant exegesis, here, will never equaled, I have heard a variant story: that a wandering Jesuit in the mid-19th. century came here, and, wracked by tropical fevers, succumbed to local temptations of the sexual flavor in a house of lotus-repute on what was then a dirt track leading off from the moat (the future Loy Kroh).

He died here, and in his last words mumbled the words written over the entrance to the descent to the underworld in Dante's "Inferno" that Virgil and Dante saw: "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'entrate:" "abandon hope all ye who enter here."

His companion at the time of his death, a former Monk, interpreted these words as being in the old Chiang Mai language, Cam Meung, and referring to a palm-leaf manuscript variant of the Tribhumi of Phra Ruang, known only in Lanna, and referring to the nature of the Thai Phiyakhoot (the Garuda, the celestial beaked bird who is the "vahanam," or "vehicle," of Lord Vishnu), made reference to the terrible power of his beak to rend human flesh while he served as the instrument of Lord Vishnu's "preserving the world").

This same former Monk, a master Mor Doo, and Mor Phii, and magician, then performed an act of exorcism to free the street from the curse of the farang Phra's death, a rite of appeasement of the ravening Phiyakhoot, and his cosmic incorporeal force, Lord Vishnu.

Hence the name "loy" which, as in the expression, "poot ching ching jung loy," is actually an "intensifier" of a qualitative aspect (the opposite of the use of "mak" as a quantitative intensifier).

And "kroh," in the archaic Cam Meung of those times, meant both the "beak" of a raptor-bird, and "dangerously sharp edge" on a knife.

Hence: "Loy Kroh:" interpreted as: "a very dangerous place for the rendering of flesh."

best, ~o:37;

• Like 2

I think the last time I met up with the Welshman was about 10 years ago, maybe longer. Not sure if he is still around. Nto even sure others are still around who can remember the Welshman's Pit with the dirt floor, but yes, the Welshman did represent the lowest common denominator in the ex-pat world until ThaiVIsa came into existence and a whole new generation of ex-pats came upon the scene and made the Welshman look halfway decent.

Edited by Johpa
  • Like 1

In this case a liberation towards ones base desires of sex of all kinds and booze.

I see your point, good thinking... partytime2.gif

Edited by DowntownAl

I didn't realise it was a Welsh missionary gone rampant. But I like the breatharians... sounds like a new heresy!

I thought it meant a hundred something (one guess for what).

I thought he was talking about a Scottish disease, but then noticed .... no L

dry.png

Noted.

What a sad bunch of people write on this forum.Loy Kroh road offers many things.There are some good restaurants,and I mean good,and some great drinking places to go to.If you don't want to be hassled by females then there are many nice drinking holes to visit.Try the Old Bell.If you do not like to have a drink or eat nice food......simple stay away!

I'm wondering if people who write on here have actually travelled anywhere else in the world. Loi Kroh is just a street and a pretty ordinary one at that. For some it seems to be the centre of the universe and for others merely a street for slagging off. In both cases it is getting some claim to fame, which it certainly doesn't deserve. You want to see streets? (of all kind)....I mean real streets, then go spend some time in Europe and when you come back Loi Kroh will just be an alley.

• Like 2

It's certainly nice and academic to know what Loh Kroh means. After I have travelled the street up and down a few times, I try hard not to have my wife or my daughter venturing into the area. It's not that I think there's anything wrong, it's just the perception of some people, my wife and daughter included, of course.

L .. load

O . of

I .. idiots.

no one is safe until ? : (

dave2

Hey our dave2, you really do take some marvellous photos.

Have you considered publishing them in a Chiang Mai tour guide or on a website?

With your photographic talents, I would seriously think about contacting a tour guidebook publisher or companies such a Tripadvisor or Lonely Planet.

Just out of interest, have you ever worked in journalism or within the commercial photographic industries? If you haven’t, I would certainly look into it as a future project.