Non O Multi 90 Days Deactivation Land Xing

Hi

May seem like a silly couple of questions. Am heading to Mukdahan Immigration checkpoint to exit Thailand.

Questions:

1. Will I get another 90 days at a land border crossing?

2. Do I have to enter Laos, or can I just return immediately to Thailand after being stamped out? Within minutes of exit?

Thanks for your responses.

1. If you are on a Non O and it's still valid then you should get 90 days

2. You are supposed to enter another country and then return but I once did what you are suggesting when I was quite new to all this (I just followed a man that I got talking to). We just turned around and re-entered Thailand, he seemed to get through OK but the woman dealing with me said something to her supervisor and he looked at my passport but then they stamped it. I think basically it is the luck of the draw and you may get told to enter Laos or they may just let you back in. I haven't risked it again since finding out that it wasn't the proper way.

Hi

Thanks so much for the reply.

I am going to give it a shot. Can't see the point in going to Laos, already have the visa.

Considering once we exited Thailand there after screwing up the Savan Vegas pickup point, and the immigration officer lead us back into Thailand with no stamps at all!!

Got on the bus and back through we went!

As long as the visa itself is still valid, you will get 90 days when you enter Thailand, regardless of the means of transport.

You always must leave Thailand and enter and leave another coutnry before you return to Thailand at a land border.

As long as the visa itself is still valid, you will get 90 days when you enter Thailand, regardless of the means of transport.

You always must leave Thailand and enter and leave another coutnry before you return to Thailand at a land border.

Could've sworn that I said that - must be an echo in here.

Hi and thanks so much to those who replied.

Just to let you know today's events and outcomes:

I drove to the Mukdahan Immigration Control Post today, and after a 30 minute wait got stamped out of Thailand.

I then walked past the many people waiting to get on busses to Laos, many Farang today, and walked directly across the lanes to the Thai Entry point.

I presented my passport to the Immigration Officer, who asked me where my TM7 card was. I explained I didn't have one as I had just minutes ago exited Thailand and wished to immediately return without wasting time and money going to Laos.

He smiled, nodded, and handed me a blank card to fill out.

He then stamped me back into Thailand for a fresh 90 days!!!!

So easy. No need to enter another country and return at all!!

Just exit, and re-enter. Simple.

Thank you Thai Immigration.

My hunch was right!

Yes Mario. Good mood or not I now wonder if an alien "must" exit Thailand and enter another country with visa payment etc and carry out all the pain in the arse documentation? When as proven today one can simply exit and skip across to entry and be stamped back in???

Yes Mario. Good mood or not I now wonder if an alien "must" exit Thailand and enter another country with visa payment etc and carry out all the pain in the arse documentation? When as proven today one can simply exit and skip across to entry and be stamped back in???

It would be nice to know how many people are doing this. As I mentioned in my previous post I was new to border runs and when some person suggested that I follow him and he just turned around and immediately re-entered Thailand, I did the same. It wasn't till afterwards that I found out it was not really legit and I should've entered the other country. It's obvious now that quite a few are getting away with this, how many I wonder?

Other members have proven that immigration is not amused when they spot you didn't first enter another country, being send to the other countries to meet not so happy immigration officals there to get an entry and exit stamp.

There will always be members getting away with it, that doesn't mean it is advisable.

Other members have proven that immigration is not amused when they spot you didn't first enter another country, being send to the other countries to meet not so happy immigration officals there to get an entry and exit stamp.

There will always be members getting away with it, that doesn't mean it is advisable.

What exactly happened to those who have proven that Thai Immigration are not amused, what is the actual punishment?

If you read most of the rules they don't make sense anyway - I mean you are supposed to stay out of Thailand for 24 (or 48) hours but not many do, is that breaking the law too? As soon as immigration stamp your passport out and you cross the border you have left Thailand anyway so do they really have any say as to whether you enter another country or not. Of course it's then up to them whether to allow you back again but have you actually broken any laws?

People without an entry and exit stamp are send back to the neighbouring country to properly enter and exit there. They can get a stern lecture and a big delay in getting their paperwork in order.

Ultimately, you can be denied entry. Meaning Thailand have to take you back and they will arrest you and deport you to your home country. That hasn't actually happend yet, as far as I know. But that some people are thaught a lesson is a fact.

There is no rule that you must stay away for at least 24 hours, but i believe that Canmbodia has a rule that you must stay in their country for at least 24 hours (or pay a higher visa fee).

There is no rule that you must stay away for at least 24 hours, but i believe that Cambodia has a rule that you must stay in their country for at least 24 hours (or pay a higher visa fee).

That's an interesting notion, Mario... My wife and I just returned from a trip to Phnom Penh, and I traveled using the Cambodian EVisa for tourists...

While I can't say they don't have the 24 hour rule you mentioned, I can say I didn't find any reference to that in any of the visa rules and procedures I read up on on the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

It's kind of an interesting issue, because the Air Asia flight we took has about a 50-minute downtime on the ground before turning around and heading back to BKK. It did occur to me that that daily flight, which can be had relatively inexpensively in purchased in advance, might have the potential for being a quick and convenient international turnaround for those needing a new entry.

The lines for Immigration and security at PP Airport were short and the processing was quick. Someone might well be able to book a same day out and back flight on AA, and actually clear Cambodian Immigration and then turn right around and check in for the return AA flight.

Of course, if they in fact have some kind of 24 hour rule, that wouldn't work. But I didn't find any mention of such a rule...

ADD:

Well now, this set me to thinking and checking. Some years back when I used to have a B visa, I used to use one of the major BKK-based visa run bus trip companies that every three months took me to the Cambodian border. The visa run company arranged, now that I go back to my passport and look, the standard $20 visa on arrival documents each time.

And each time, we'd get off the bus, stamp out of Thailand, walk 100 or so meters to the other side...stamp into Cambodia...then about a half hour later, turn right back around and walk the other way and stamp back into Thailand.

So clearly at least in that land border setting as of 3-5 years ago, no one was bothering in those situations with any kind of 24 hour rule.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Ha ha! Illegally with Thai Immigration assisting me??

So show us exactly how I have entered Thailand illegally????

I guess if the <deleted> hit the fan somehow, and you got in trouble for something, your passport could be examined and you could get both you and the guy who was nice enough to let you in in trouble. This may be worry wart mode, but you were asking smile.png For what it's worth, I'd be thrilled to do what you did, I tried it once and she said "stamp in stamp out (of cambodia)." I myself just wouldn't do it or try it before I had any sort of sensitive passport stuff coming up in the near future (say signing marriage papers for example).

Edited by meand

There is no rule that you must stay away for at least 24 hours, but i believe that Cambodia has a rule that you must stay in their country for at least 24 hours (or pay a higher visa fee).

That's an interesting notion, Mario... My wife and I just returned from a trip to Phnom Penh, and I traveled using the Cambodian EVisa for tourists...

While I can't say they don't have the 24 hour rule you mentioned, I can say I didn't find any reference to that in any of the visa rules and procedures I read up on on the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

It's kind of an interesting issue, because the Air Asia flight we took has about a 50-minute downtime on the ground before turning around and heading back to BKK. It did occur to me that that daily flight, which can be had relatively inexpensively in purchased in advance, might have the potential for being a quick and convenient international turnaround for those needing a new entry.

The lines for Immigration and security at PP Airport were short and the processing was quick. Someone might well be able to book a same day out and back flight on AA, and actually clear Cambodian Immigration and then turn right around and check in for the return AA flight.

Of course, if they in fact have some kind of 24 hour rule, that wouldn't work. But I didn't find any mention of such a rule...

ADD:

Well now, this set me to thinking and checking. Some years back when I used to have a B visa, I used to use one of the major BKK-based visa run bus trip companies that every three months took me to the Cambodian border. The visa run company arranged, now that I go back to my passport and look, the standard $20 visa on arrival documents each time.

And each time, we'd get off the bus, stamp out of Thailand, walk 100 or so meters to the other side...stamp into Cambodia...then about a half hour later, turn right back around and walk the other way and stamp back into Thailand.

So clearly at least in that land border setting as of 3-5 years ago, no one was bothering in those situations with any kind of 24 hour rule.

Sorry I mentioned the 24 hour thing - it's one those 'read it somewhere but haven't a clue where and cannot find it again' so best forget it.mfr_closed1.gif

licklips.gif Now I'm retired with an etemsion and 90 day reporting...so no more need for border runs with my multi entry non O visa.

But when I was doing them I never stayed in Cambodia more than 1 minute max.

Just go through the Thai immigration making sure to get your exit stamp and departure card. The border run company I used supplied the Cambodian visa. I exited the building....and there was a short footbrige into Cambodia. Walk over the bridge, step onto Cambodian soil, then turn around and walk back over that same bridge to the Thai side. Now re-enter Thailand and get the entry stamp for another 90 days. Took all of 5 minutes at the most to do it.

Did that 4 times, then decided to stop playing around and filed my retirement extension paperwork.

Immigration at the border knew exactly what we were doing...they'd seen it all before many times.

licklips.gif

Kind of hard to miss it when a big bus from Thailand pulls up..and the bus/visa run staff goes trooping into the Cambodian Immigration office with 30 or 40 packages of passports and visa applications in hand...only to turn around and troop everyone back in the opposite direction... And been doing the same daily or at least several times a week for many years.

I have done 14 visa runs to the Cambodian border over the last 5 years, it has always been stroll across the border, have some breakfast and stroll back across again, not in Cambodia for more than 1 hour, the last time I said I couldn't be bothered as it was a different crossing and no breakfast provided, so the lady told me just to sit down (still in Thailand) and wait for the others to return.

However my passport crossed the border and had a Cambodian visa slapped in it, the whole process is a ridiculous farce, aimed at catching the guys who have been here illegally for years, so they can deny them re-entry, but those guys on the whole wouldn't be stupid enough to leave the country anyway if the have been here for 15 or 20 years illegally, they will just continue to lay low.

Bam Bam

Edited by Pungdo

1. If you are on a Non O and it's still valid then you should get 90 days

2. You are supposed to enter another country and then return but I once did what you are suggesting when I was quite new to all this (I just followed a man that I got talking to). We just turned around and re-entered Thailand, he seemed to get through OK but the woman dealing with me said something to her supervisor and he looked at my passport but then they stamped it. I think basically it is the luck of the draw and you may get told to enter Laos or they may just let you back in. I haven't risked it again since finding out that it wasn't the proper way.

Here in Pattaya I go on a Visa Run by a local provider. I got picked up at 7am, drove to Cambodia/Thai check point, walked though exiting Thailand...then waited till the group bought duty free items, turned around and re-entered Thailand with 90 days added to my type O visa Non-immigrate passport. I returned 2pm and still had half a day to do my routine.

Ha ha! Illegally with Thai Immigration assisting me??

So show us exactly how I have entered Thailand illegally????

Happens hundreds of times a day, Thai officials are often free to break the law, and if they are in a good mood they will extend to you the same courtesy.

It is theoretically possible that some other official would notice the breach and if you've got on their bad side for some reason or they're just in a good mood, make trouble for you.

Technically you couldn't avoid punishment just because a Thai official helped you break the law, but usually they will take it into account, simply to avoid the extra paperwork.

My pet theory on why they're allowing this in some circumstances - the border mafia on the other-country side hasn't been chipping in their proper payments, so the Thais play at denying them revenue for a while. Once the Laos/Cambodian border guys start sending over the required cash, then the law will be strictly enforced again.

Generally it's best to follow the letter of the law, especially if it isn't too inconvenient or expensive for you.

One time, coming back from Laos, I stopped by the place where they stamp your passport and the guy waved me on. I tried to explain I needed the exit stamp and he said no, proceed to Thailand (maybe because I was with Thais who were there on a day pass so he was directing me to the same office as them??? I don't know). So, rather than arguing, I went to the Thai border post where, surprise, they told me I needed an exit stamp from Laos. They weren't angry or anything.

Funny thing was, I had to go back to the same guy who told me to go to Thailand and he looked at me, embarrassed, and stamped my passport quickly.

Not the same issue, but I think they usually do notice these things.

In the old days I used to ride the boat across the river at Nong Khai, buy something at the duty free and return on the next boat. I legally departed and returned to Thai territory with no entry or exit stamps from Laos. Entry and exit stamps are at the discretion of the Lao government and have nothing to do with Thailand.

Some countries used to stamp your entry cards instead of your passport and some did not bother to stamp your passport on departure. Since 911 things have changed, but I am sure Thai immigration only cares about what you do while you are in Thailand. They are not paid to police other countries.

The problem is coming from Thailand entering Thailand. That is not very logical.

Also,if denied entry, the country where you came from last must take you back (and if need be deport you to your own country). Thai immigration cannot send you back to Thailand if denied entry into Thailand.