Can Non-Resident Foreigner Own Condo In Chiang Mai ?

SwaziBird

Yes you can if the quota for foreign ownership is still available. I think that the quota is 49% foreign and 51% for Thais.

Correct.

'According to the condominium act, foreigners or a foreign legal entity normally can acquire up to, but

not exceeding 49% of a condominium block (direct freehold)'.

http://www.propertyguidethailand.com/thailaw.html

I think what swazi is asking is if a farang, here on say just a visa exempt stamp, or a tourist visa...can buy a condo.

Versus a farang who is here on some sort of residence visa such as a non-immigrant category O, "B" visa, retirement extension, etc.

The issue of 49/51% is not what he is asking.

I have a friend from the US who bought a condo in Hillside 4 (actually 2 adjoining units remodeled into a big apartment).

He's never come here with anything other than a tourist visa (or multiple tourist visas) issued in the US.

So I think the answer is yes to the OP's question.

I think what swazi is asking is if a farang, here on say just a visa exempt stamp, or a tourist visa...can buy a condo.

Versus a farang who is here on some sort of residence visa such as a non-immigrant category O, "B" visa, retirement extension, etc.

The issue of 49/51% is not what he is asking.

I have a friend from the US who bought a condo in Hillside 4 (actually 2 adjoining units remodeled into a big apartment).

He's never come here with anything other than a tourist visa (or multiple tourist visas) issued in the US.

So I think the answer is yes to the OP's question.

That is pretty munch along the lines I was thinking. I believe most of his answers were directed at owning land.

Absolutely "spot-on" answers. Yes I was thinking of a prospective purchaser who held no more than a tourist visa. Thanks to all for the confirmatory examples given.

Gee, this forum works !!!!

Thank you and cheers.

Yes you can buy. You don't even need to be in Thailand.

Just the funds transfered from outside and ID of some sort.

I have sold a few to people not in Thailand at the time. Just a little signed paperwork and all is done

Yes Correct.

I can confirm this.

Just sold 3 condo's to a Briton that was not even in Thailand at the time.

He need's to give a Power of Attorney to any Thai national to be he's rep. at the landoffice.

The Chanote will be registered in the Foreigners name.

Yes Correct..

He need's to give a Power of Attorney to any Thai national to be he's rep. at the land office.

Yeah sure.

I would have thought anyone buying three condos could take a few days off, bring the money over and do the deal; personally.

Yes Correct..

He need's to give a Power of Attorney to any Thai national to be he's rep. at the land office.

Yeah sure.

I would have thought anyone buying three condos could take a few days off, bring the money over and do the deal; personally.

For you this might be a big event that need big ceremonies and personal presentation, maybe.

For others ( like grown up investors ) this is just another day at the office and a well calculated business transaction. However, I did not say he never inspected them personally.

As a matter in fact, this one bought 20 condo's ( in Chiang Mai only and that I'm aware of ) in the last 6 month.

Anyway, sorry to go off topic. But since you wanted to go cynical about a well ment reply to an interresting question from the OP....

Yes you can buy. You don't even need to be in Thailand.

Just the funds transfered from outside and ID of some sort.

I have sold a few to people not in Thailand at the time. Just a little signed paperwork and all is done

Yes Correct.

I can confirm this.

Just sold 3 condo's to a Briton that was not even in Thailand at the time.

He need's to give a Power of Attorney to any Thai national to be he's rep. at the landoffice.

The Chanote will be registered in the Foreigners name.

I can also confirm this.

Our company represented the buyer in this transaction and what KhunVee says is true.

You can give POA to any Thai.

If you want to give POA to a foreigner, that foreigner needs to prove that he can read and understand Thai, although wether you need to show that proof or not depends a lot of the land office official you deal with. It is a little rule that not many people know of, even at the land office...

If you want to give POA to a foreigner, that foreigner needs to prove that he can read and understand Thai, although wether you need to show that proof or not depends a lot of the land office official you deal with. It is a little rule that not many people know of, even at the land office...

I'm not doubting this is correct, but I would be interested if you could provide a reference to a law or authorative online source to confirm this