No Deadline In Sight For Lifeguards’ Return To Phuket Beaches

webfact

No deadline in sight for lifeguards’ return to Phuket beaches

Phuket Gazette

385699_286672868076629_118499681560616_657586_1214072576_n.jpg

A lifeguard collects the flags off Nai Harn Beach. Phuket’s beaches will remain unguarded indefinitely until provincial officials can find a company to take up the challenge of providing the life-saving service.

PHUKET: -- The return of lifeguards to Phuket’s busy tourist beaches remains indefinite while provincial authorities work their way through red tape, the Phuket Gazette has learned.

The news follows the Phuket Lifeguard Club withdrawing all their lifesavers from Phuket beaches on Monday, the day when the club’s annual contract with Phuket Provincial Administration Organization (OrBorJor) to provide lifesaving services expired.

Under the terms of the contract, the club must return all lifesaving equipment in order to be refunded a one-million-baht deposit. Club president Prathaiyut “Nut” Chuayuan told the Gazette earlier this week that the club aims to do so by Friday.

Kanyarat Senrung, an administration officer at the OrBorJor’s Tourism Department, today told the Gazette that the her office received no bids from other organizations to provide lifeguard services in the opening tender.

“We are now working on the second round of electronic bidding for the new contract. We will accept applications as soon as we open the bidding again. The period for is usually around one month. We urge companies to apply,” she said.

However, Ms Kanyarat said a date had yet to be set for the second round of bidding to open.

“If we do not receive any bids in the second round, we will speak with the lifeguard companies to see if we can come to an agreement,” she said.

“However, we cannot promise when lifeguards will be back on duty. We are doing the best we can in accordance with official procedures,” she added.

Phuket Lifeguard Club President Prathaiyut last month publicly announced that his organization was growing weary of onerous task of protecting swimmers from Phuket’s dangerous rainy season surf.

“Last year was tough. We’re exhausted and some of us want to take a rest. I think it would be fair if the OrBorJor opened the bidding process to others, but if they can’t find anyone to carry on the service, we will do it. Our top priority has always been public safety,” he added.

Fellow lifeguard Uten Singsom, head of the Phuket Lifeguard Club unit stationed at Kata-Karon, highlighted the dangers of the coming monsoon season.

“The weather has changed. Last weekend we sent six tourists to hospital when big waves struck,” he said.

“I am worried that with the coming monsoon season, if there are no lifeguards on the beaches, tourists will be at risk. Even with lifeguards on duty 10 people drowned in this area last year,” Mr Uten added.

Source: http://www.facebook....118499681560616

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-04-05

I am at the beach everyday and I have seen the lifeguards save people on a few occasions but mainly I see them sitting around chatting.

Very exhausting work.

Apart from that I think it is disgusting state of affairs to leave the beaches unattended especially as it's school holidays and the beaches are packed with Thai kids who cannot swim.

Lifeguards in Phuket are poorly trained and can't be compared to other countries (by their own admission, 10 drowned in the Kata/Karon area last season). Even so, they receive a good salary so it seems odd that no-one wants to bid for the contract. The authorities should have a better grasp of the situation because it's scary to think that the beaches will be un-patrolled next week.

Who would want to deal with the red tape plus put up one million Baht deposit & then have to haggle over the refund? Coming into the dangerous season it is ludicrous that there is no lifeguard service attending the beaches. There are probably more than a few expat lifesavers residing here who would be willing to volunteer their services but then may face work permit issues. Perhaps they could employ a system like the volunteer tourist police to supplement any existing contracts & this would also help transfer of expert know how in lifesaving techniques.

Who would want to deal with the red tape plus put up one million Baht deposit & then have to haggle over the refund? Coming into the dangerous season it is ludicrous that there is no lifeguard service attending the beaches. There are probably more than a few expat lifesavers residing here who would be willing to volunteer their services but then may face work permit issues. Perhaps they could employ a system like the volunteer tourist police to supplement any existing contracts & this would also help transfer of expert know how in lifesaving techniques.

Excellent idea and if there's nobody bidding then I see no reason why it should not be considered; a volunteer would not be doing a Thai out of a job. Surely public safety is that important that the usual work permit issues could be worked around............................if the right people wanted it.

I hate to say this but there are probably not enough brown envelopes involved for the OrBorJor to put this near the top of their priorities.

Edited by madmitch
  • Like 1