Ex-Deputy PM's Wealth Revealed, Including Cars Worth 87M Baht

webfact

When this was 1st raised, the BP published his assets of 5 million a year banked for FIVE consecutive years despite earning less than ONE million per annum for his 'official' duties.

• Agree 2

every man & his dog knew this idiot had his fingers in the cookie jar, this just proves it, again we see how corrupt thai politics really is

• Agree 2

I'm actually surprised. 87M฿ is not a huge amount. Roughly AUD3.6M. There would be many Westerners living here who are worth more than that.

Would like to see Prayut's numbers too.

Edited by mfd101
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

as expats, are we surprised -- I doubt any with a true understanding of Thailand would be and not that it makes any difference to us anyway.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's former Deputy PM and Sports Authority of Thailand Chairman, General Prawit Wongsuwon, has faced scrutiny following the exposure of his vast wealth and assets, including a collection of luxury cars worth 87 million Baht, by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC). 

The 78-year-old chief of the Palang Pracharath Party (PPRP) declared in the triennial financial report- required by his position- that he was single and possessed total assets worth 87.84 million Baht, with a minor debt of 757 Baht. 

Hope he remembered to include his watch collection this time.

• Agree 1

Keep in mind these are declared assets and they likely don't include any of the hundreds of millions of baht and investments  overseas. Same applies to many, many officials both current and past, top RTP guys (likely including the joke), and the Army brass. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I'm sure he has a lot more outside of Thailand.   :coffee1: 

87 million is that using Thai Math ?

40.00 million Bank deposits----- from whom/where?

+65.00    "       investment

+10.00     "      real estate-------    only one house?

+13.60     "      luxury cars--was import duty paid or did that not apply to DPM

Total = 129.1    Million Baht  just 42.1 million out Mia Pen- lie

Investments 6.53 million according to the article not 65 million.

87 million and single, no wonder he's smiling!

Edited by Stocky
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Investments 6.53 million according to the article not 65 million.

87 million and single, no wonder he's smiling!

Sorry my bad I heard wrong, even so I don't believe a word 6.56m is peanuts in real money. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Gens Prawit's assets comprise of considerable bank deposits of 40.48 million Baht, investments of approximately 6.53 million Baht, prime real estate in Bangkok and Pathum Thani totalling around 10 million Baht, and a fleet of five luxury vehicles amounting to 13.6 million Baht, among others.

Not to mention all his other assets in other names or overseas?

Well, even he will learn rather sooner than later, that he cannot eat money nor does power last forever.

Yet, absolute power corrupts absolutely - as the saying goes; but we all know that this certainly does not apply to the kind gentleman who took care of watches of his deceased friend as he was not willing to share the details of the widow to avoid more pain over the lost husband. Mysterious are the ways of the East ........ 

On 4/27/2024 at 10:15 AM, NanLaew said:

Marginally on-topic but when it comes to any discussion of Thailand's innate corruption, NatWest International advised me yesterday that "Thailand is a jurisdiction in which we cannot accept government documents" for proof of domicile.

Speaks volumes, eh?

On natwestinternantional website they only accept residents from a limited number of countries

Residential requirements

Our International Banking service can help customers who are resident in the following countries:

Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bermuda, Canada, China (Expats only), Denmark, Finland, France, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Norway, Oman, Qatar, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom (Non-domiciled only) or the United States of America.

Proof of residence docs are usually utility bills showing name address such as water, electricity.

Not as much as I might expect.

A lot of talk of overseas assets, Prawit probably does indeed have these. It’s the tried and tested route for the “Thai elite”. I recall an estate agent acquaintance telling me they were working with a Thai minister on a GBP 2m London house purchase back in the TRT days.

However, it’s also just lot easier just to transfer your Thai assets to a nominee or company instead.

Not that Ol’Toady is particularly interesting to me but I hadn’t realized he was single.

I’d be checking his maid or “secretary” 😏