Bangkok Bank Internet Banking

I have used Bangkok Bank Biz IBanking for some years now and have found it to be an excellent service. However, for some reason in the last couple of weeks I have been unable to pay TOT bills on line. They seem to have lost TOT from their system. I pay for both my company and for clients and therefore have been paying about ten different TOT invoices on a monthly basis for probably 6 years. Suddenly it is not possible anymore. I spent well over an hour on the phone to their help desk, but they could not figure it out either and have been unable to correct the problem.

It is only TOT - all other bills and transfers work as normal.

Question: Has anyone else come across this problem, or is it just me?

I just paid my TOT bill using iBanking. The symbol is TOTELEC.

Yes - that is what I have been using for years - but now not available on my system. If you can pay it, it must be a fault at my end which is proving hard to identify.

I don't use them but just tested to see if I could add them as a new payee and they showed up in the list. Perhaps remove them from your payee list and add them again.

post-566-0-13139400-1333602491_thumb.jpg

Thought of that - I tried adding a new account but they do not show up in the list of available payees so I cannot re-activate them. This is frustrating because it is an on-line system, not something sitting on my pc, so why can you guys see them, but I cannot? Bangkok Bank do not seem to have an answer either, but is useful to know other users can still see TOT.

Still paying my TOT bills via Bangkok Bank internet banking...paid two bills just last week. I just checked and TOT is still listed under payees you can add...they are listed as TOTELEC...see snapshot below. Now supposedly, if the bill is pass the due date you can not pay; however, during the flood late last year when TOT bills were delivered ldate....even delivered after the due date since the postman's motorcycle couldn't transverse meter high water in many places I was still able to pay my bill via Bkk Bk internet banking way after the bill due date.

post-55970-0-39457000-1333606353_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

Still paying my TOT bills via Bangkok Bank internet banking...paid two bills just last week. I just checked and TOT is still listed under payees you can add...they are listed as TOTELEC...see snapshot below. Now supposedly, if the bill is pass the due date you can not pay; however, during the flood late last year when TOT bills were delivered ldate....even delivered after the due date since the postman's motorcycle couldn't transverse meter high water in many places I was still able to pay my bill via Bkk Bk internet banking way after the bill due date.

This is all I get on the add Payee page.

TOT / TOTELEC do not appear.

I tried to delete existing TOT payment details and it would not even let me do that.

CAT * CAT Telecom Public Company Limited

MEA * METROPOLITAN ELECTRICITY AUTHORITYerror.gif

Edited by SamuiRes

Sorry to barge in, but I have another question on TOT electronic payment of bills. I can pay over the internet, but only when I have the invoice number. If I am out of town, I obviously can't retrieve my mail to get the invoice number. Can TOT send out their monthly bills out electronically?

Sorry to barge in, but I have another question on TOT electronic payment of bills. I can pay over the internet, but only when I have the invoice number. If I am out of town, I obviously can't retrieve my mail to get the invoice number. Can TOT send out their monthly bills out electronically?

I'd like an answer to this one, too. Using Bangkok Bank's iBanking it looks like you cannot even prepay a bill like TOT since the warning is that they only accept current payments for the specified amount, not arrears, for example. So, what do people do when they are out of the country and one of these bills comes due?

If a person knows they will be out of country/won't get the bill in the mail which has the payment Reference Numbers needed to make the internet payment, there is always the option of going to a TOT service center (lots of them around...usually in a mall near you) and overpaying/prepay for the next month(s). And although I've never done it, I bet a person could overpay a bill via internet banking and when the next bill comes it will just show a credit which means you don't need to pay anything. But I know this depends on having the time to do this before leaving and sometimes a person don't have that time, especially in an emergency. I'm not a fan of overpaying just to create a credit on the account, but it is an option.

And just think, by overpaying/prepaying you are helping a semi-government agency like TOT to maintain their high quality of service and cash flow...boy, I almost choked in typing that line.

If a person knows they will be out of country/won't get the bill in the mail which has the payment Reference Numbers needed to make the internet payment, there is always the option of going to a TOT service center (lots of them around...usually in a mall near you) and overpaying/prepay for the next month(s). And although I've never done it, I bet a person could overpay a bill via internet banking and when the next bill comes it will just show a credit which means you don't need to pay anything. But I know this depends on having the time to do this before leaving and sometimes a person don't have that time, especially in an emergency. I'm not a fan of overpaying just to create a credit on the account, but it is an option.

Well, that's the question. Can we prepay or not. If so, how? Also, how reliable are these Thai companies at crediting prepayments which seem to be rare or non-existent here? I was hoping to hear from someone with actual experience.

@GiantFan This is not TOT but I've had a 3BB bill not arrive and I went ahead and paid it via Bangkok Bank Internet banking using the last month's invoice number and had no problem. The important part is your customer ID number. Just a thought.

Well, that's the question. Can we prepay or not. If so, how? Also, how reliable are these Thai companies at crediting prepayments which seem to be rare or non-existent here? I was hoping to hear from someone with actual experience.

I pay all my bills through IBanking (except of course recently TOT!) on behalf of my company and clients. Recently a client was in town and thought it a good idea to pay his CAT bill without telling me (went in with the previous bill and asked to pay up to date) I did not know and paid the current bill on line so it was paid twice. The credit came through on the next bill without any problem.

Still cannot pay TOT and with public holidays today and Monday and Songkran next week doubt this will get cleared up soon.

@GiantFan This is not TOT but I've had a 3BB bill not arrive and I went ahead and paid it via Bangkok Bank Internet banking using the last month's invoice number and had no problem. The important part is your customer ID number. Just a thought.

Yes I have done that too especially after the Bangkok floods when lots of post went missing.

. So, what do people do when they are out of the country and one of these bills comes due?

Maybe I'm missing something here..... But, all my utility accounts in Thailand (phone, electricity, internet, cell phone) have been set-up to be automatically direct debited, in full, to my Bangkok Bank account. All's I have to do is ensure I keep enough money in the bank account to meet the fairly predictable monthly amounts due. This Bangkok Bank account is one of several we have, all linked to an iBanking account, so we can view the utility payments on-line (and keep the account sufficiently topped-up, as needed).

Did the same thing in the States -- everything direct debited, in full, from my bank account. Never saw much use in the on-line "bill pay" feature, where, unless the amount due is the same every month, you have to physically fat-finger in monthly applicable amounts and numbers. Too lazy -- plus, maybe I'm not available or it's not very convenient.

And, just as in Thailand, you make the direct debit arrangement through the utility, not your bank.

. So, what do people do when they are out of the country and one of these bills comes due?

Maybe I'm missing something here..... But, all my utility accounts in Thailand (phone, electricity, internet, cell phone) have been set-up to be automatically direct debited, in full, to my Bangkok Bank account. All's I have to do is ensure I keep enough money in the bank account to meet the fairly predictable monthly amounts due. This Bangkok Bank account is one of several we have, all linked to an iBanking account, so we can view the utility payments on-line (and keep the account sufficiently topped-up, as needed).

Did the same thing in the States -- everything direct debited, in full, from my bank account. Never saw much use in the on-line "bill pay" feature, where, unless the amount due is the same every month, you have to physically fat-finger in monthly applicable amounts and numbers. Too lazy -- plus, maybe I'm not available or it's not very convenient.

And, just as in Thailand, you make the direct debit arrangement through the utility, not your bank.

That is fine is you are only dealing with your own accounts and your own money. I need to ensure the bill is correct before I authorise payment on behalf of a client. Usually they are but once in a while, the one you do not check is the one that is wrong.

I would not permit vendors to pull from my account. I understand that it will usually work without a problem, but when the problems do appear fixing them could be difficult. In the States, some people who permitted automated pulls for things like cable bills, found that they could not turn them off when they cancelled the cable service. Have no idea how likely that would be in Thailand, but I am not willing to trust a vendor with my account.

You can make the direct debit setup using Bangkok Bank internet banking but the list of companies is not that many....see list below. Othewise, as you mentioned you need to get with the company/bank to manually setup the direct debit. You would think more companies, especially the big companies, would establish direct debit capabililty via a bank's online banking like the companies in the list below, but for whatever reasons we ain't there yet.

In the States I didn't do the direct debit thing but had every monthly bill on a bank BillPay setup where the bill arrives electronically to your bank account BillPay, you logon, you can review the bill, make a few clicks, and pay the bill. I know you know what I'm taking about...just explaining a little in case other folks from certain countries may not know what BillPay means. Definitely a lot easier than the Thai bank Payment System where you have to type-in l...o....n.....g reference numbers from the paper bill you hopefully got in the mail. Will be nice when Thai banks and companies start using a BillPay type system with real electronic billing...they'll get there eventually.

post-55970-0-02533800-1333795249_thumb.j

I tried to delete existing TOT payment details and it would not even let me do that.

Clearly I'm confused, but in the graphic you posted I DO see TOTELEC on your list.

Provided I'm badly misunderstanding something, others have said you can't pay online if you're in arrears. Considering that your paying for several TOT accounts from your BKK Bank account, perhaps one of those accounts somehow ended up in arrears & now you're blocked from payments. I would suggest taking all your montly account statements to a TOT office, paying up, making sure you have no arrears anywhere, and maybe that will fix the problem? Just a guess.

Clearly I'm confused, but in the graphic you posted I DO see TOTELEC on your list.

Provided I'm badly misunderstanding something, others have said you can't pay online if you're in arrears. Considering that your paying for several TOT accounts from your BKK Bank account, perhaps one of those accounts somehow ended up in arrears & now you're blocked from payments. I would suggest taking all your montly account statements to a TOT office, paying up, making sure you have no arrears anywhere, and maybe that will fix the problem? Just a guess.

Not my graphic.

TOTELEC has disappeared from my available list although it still shows on my account list - but will not accept payments.

All accounts are paid up to date and even if what you say was true, I suspect that the Help Desk might just have spotted that as I have been in touch with them for hours over the last week.

Also one of the graphics posted by Pib is from Bualuang Banking which is the personal account internet banking and not Biz IBanking.

Just curious, and since I don't feel like re-reading the entire thread... I know you've been talking to BKK Bank help desk. Have you talked to TOT about this? Maybe it's something they've seen before? Again, grasping at straws.

OK - here is the latest:

Spoke to Bangkok Bank Help Desk again yesterday.

They said that the ability to pay TOT bills by Bangkok Bank Biz IBanking had been cancelled by TOT and a senior Rep from Bangkok Bank would call me in an hour to explain.

Called TOT Help Desk - eventually got someone to understand what I was asking. They confirmed I could not longer pay though Biz IBanking due to a technical problem and she did not know how long this would take to fix.

Rep from Bangkok Bank called and told me that TOT had withdrawn this facility due to a Withholding Tax problem.

From what I could gather this was just an issue with Business Banking and not the personal Bualuang Banking. That does not help me as I do not want to mix company and clients funds with my personal funds.

So is this a load of BS or do you other folk out there now have this problem?

Rather than start a new thread...

I have a yellow book from my Amphoe. So I can open a bank account. I don't live here yet, so online operation is important. But

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-thailand-banking?gclid=CMqqp5nrsK8CFYV66wodqjywFw

Says one needs a work permit for online operation of an account. Is this true in general? Presumably yellow book != work permit

Then there is the question of charges for currency transfers in and out.

At the moment I buy baht at xe.com in my home currency. I pay a wire transfer fee to XE and 700 baht fee to my wife's bank. For large transfers this is not a large hit. But if I can get it done cheaper...

Any good FAQS for these questions?

I have a yellow book from my Amphoe. So I can open a bank account. I don't live here yet, so online operation is important. But

http://www.expatfocu...CFYV66wodqjywFw

Says one needs a work permit for online operation of an account. Is this true in general? Presumably yellow book != work permit

At the moment I buy baht at xe.com in my home currency. I pay a wire transfer fee to XE and 700 baht fee to my wife's bank. For large transfers this is not a large hit. But if I can get it done cheaper...

Start by learning how to Search here at TV

But till you learn how, try this thread

And just think, by overpaying/prepaying you are helping a semi-government agency like TOT to maintain their high quality of service and cash flow...boy, I almost choked in typing that line.

i dont have too many postpaid bills, but i always pay 2-3 months at a time. for tot, i paid the year in advance.

if you know you will be out of the service area or country, it is your responsibility to suspend/pause service. you call or visit the company office to do this.

never allow a company to direct debit from your account. billpay or paying at atm/payment center fullfills this purpose and you have full control over start/stop of payment. as someone already mentioned, if there is a billing discrepancy, they have your private banking info + your consent. i dont care what country you are from, but especially thailand. billpay is usually free and gives you a much needed layer of protection. it is also one or two points of payment vs 5-10 or however many separate bills you pay.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.

OK - here is the latest:

Spoke to Bangkok Bank Help Desk again yesterday.

They said that the ability to pay TOT bills by Bangkok Bank Biz IBanking had been cancelled by TOT and a senior Rep from Bangkok Bank would call me in an hour to explain.

Called TOT Help Desk - eventually got someone to understand what I was asking. They confirmed I could not longer pay though Biz IBanking due to a technical problem and she did not know how long this would take to fix.

Rep from Bangkok Bank called and told me that TOT had withdrawn this facility due to a Withholding Tax problem.

From what I could gather this was just an issue with Business Banking and not the personal Bualuang Banking. That does not help me as I do not want to mix company and clients funds with my personal funds.

So is this a load of BS or do you other folk out there now have this problem?

- check to see if you can pay @ atm. if this works, then you're only a short trip away.

- i would open a new personal account in the same province as biz acct and setup iBanking but only use it to pay bills. in thailand, i doubt it would matter legally what acct you paid from. but for your own records, that separate acct helps keep you biz-related transactions separate from your other personal accts.

- or open a biz acct with a different bank that is still ok with tot payments.

- or announce to your clients that tot is no longer available for pay online. you must go in person to pay and you can add 10-30 baht for this privledge. i think this would be a better solution, as i'm sure you must go into town at some point. just do the customary double-check of paperwork to confirm acct #s/invoice # match.

http://www.expatfocu...CFYV66wodqjywFw

Start by learning how to Search here at TV

But till you learn how, try this thread

http://www.thaivisa....nt-in-thailand/

I can't fault you for telling me to search, which I did already, but was overwhelmed by the number of hits. So thanks for that.

Looking for stickies turned out to be a better strategy.

Edited by BeastOfBodmin