Holiday Tomorrow The 6Th And On Monday 9Th?

Easter holiday here - no way! Maybe a few Easter bunnies in bars in BKK and PATS.

Funeral for Princess 6-8 (??? maybe 9-11) April, so no grog on sale from usual sources.

Big hols in Thailand 13 April through to 17 for SongKran.

Download the calendar from this site - just search for 'calendar_2012'. AA

Friday, 6th April, is a so-called "movable" holiday i.e. many businesses stay open and the employees who work that day get a day off in lieu.

I'm not 100% sure about Monday BUT I think Sunday, 8th April, is a holiday so civil servants can take Monday, 9th, off.

believe 6 - 10th........ 6th is a Holiday in Thailand then

Mourning Period April 8-10

There will be a three-day mourning period in Thailand next month where visitors may notice some differences. Thai flags on public and private buildings may be flown at half-mast and night entertainment venues will be asked to suspend their business from April 8-10. Television and radio stations are also expected to alter their schedules during the 3-day period. April 9 has also been declared as a public holiday in Thailand.

April 2012 Holiday

April 6 (Friday) – Chakri Day

April 9 (Monday) – added as public holiday for the funeral of HRH Princess Bejaratana

April 13-15 (Friday-Sunday) – Songkran Festival

April 16 (Monday) – substitution day for Songkran

There will be a three-day mourning period in Thailand next month where visitors may notice some differences. Thai flags on public and private buildings may be flown at half-mast and night entertainment venues will be asked to suspend their business from April 8-10. Television and radio stations are also expected to alter their schedules during the 3-day period. April 9 has also been declared as a public holiday in Thailand.

April 2012 Holiday

April 9 (Monday) – added as public holiday for the funeral of HRH Princess Bejaratana

And you got this information where exactly???(source)

exactly copied from http://thailand.prd.go.th

also says:

Her Royal Highness Princess Bejaratana, the only daughter of King Vajiravudh (Rama VI), passed away on 27 July 2011. The royal cremation ceremony for Her Royal Highness will be held for five days, from 8 to 12 April 2012. The royal cremation day will be April 9, which has been declared a public holiday by the Cabinet. The three-day mourning period is scheduled for April 8-10.

also as for Holidays April 2012, simply Google : 'Thailand public holiday april 2012' about 27 million pages so take your pick.

• Like 1

also says:

Her Royal Highness Princess Bejaratana, the only daughter of King Vajiravudh (Rama VI), passed away on 27 July 2011. The royal cremation ceremony for Her Royal Highness will be held for five days, from 8 to 12 April 2012. The royal cremation day will be April 9, which has been declared a public holiday by the Cabinet. The three-day mourning period is scheduled for April 8-10.

also as for Holidays April 2012, simply Google : 'Thailand public holiday april 2012' about 27 million pages so take your pick.

It says cutback on entertainment activities, it does not say No selling of alcohol

also says:

It says cutback on entertainment activities, it does not say No selling of alcohol

In your previous post you said you just got a letter stating you had to refrain from selling alcohol, so which is it ?

• Like 1

As I said 'Something I never look at as never drink,'

Maybe see on here............Started by webfact, 2012-03-17 06:54

Night Spots To Close Nationwide For Thai Princess' Funeral April 8-10

Here is where the 1st post of mine must have come from, as I copied from a Blog..........http://www.thaizer.com/news/funeral-of-thai-princess-in-april/ .............it maybe on many other site have not checked, I just popped into Google and this came up on 1st page and 100% same as on the Blog I posted from.......... on the Blog it also refereed to http://thailand.prd.go.th

also says:

In your previous post you said you just got a letter stating you had to refrain from selling alcohol, so which is it ?

I am just pulling the point of the article that nowhere does it say alcohol is forbidden.. The hotel have double checked and we can sell alcohol but have no music... Some venues will not be able to sell.... Probably depends on the district

july 2011, whats happened in the last nine months?..kept on ice or what?..seems strange

Yes.

'When such prominent people pass away in Thailand it isn’t unusual for the cremation to take place a long time after the actual death. This allows time for appropriate arrangements to be made, an auspicious date and time to be chosen and for the various merit-making ceremonies which, in Buddhist belief, help the deceased in their next life. Since her death, the princess has been lying in state at the Dusit Maha Prasart Throne Hall which is located within the Grand Palace compound in Bangkok.;

• Like 1

I am just pulling the point of the article that nowhere does it say alcohol is forbidden.. The hotel have double checked and we can sell alcohol but have no music... Some venues will not be able to sell.... Probably depends on the district

Ask BIB why they sent you a letter telling you 'no alcohol to be served' then. That will clear things up whistling.gif

july 2011, whats happened in the last nine months?..kept on ice or what?..seems strange

If I remember right the date was 13th November for 5 or 6 days but was cancelled because of the floods

My friend has a restaurant and he was told, no alcohol sales during the mourning period. Maybe it's different in each region?

Yeah... I thought it strange that it takes so long for the funeral but apparently that's normal...they have to build a special crematorium for her remains and a chedi to place them so that would take time. And, in the interim people get to pay respects to the body (so I was told by my Thai friend).

April 2012 Holiday

Seems almost more holidays than working days in April.

And then they wonder why they are still 3rd world.

Seems almost more holidays than working days in April.

Yes but then think of places like Thai Embassies they are closed for Thai Holidays and that Countries Holidays as well.. believe Malaysia has 2 dates different than Thailand so 2 more days closed.. 13 workdays ? in April..

ANybody know is the PO open today?

Thanks

Doc50

It depends. My local branch post office is closed April 6, 7, 8, & 9 (it is normally open on Saturdays, at least until 13:00), and April 12, 13, 14, 15, 15 & 17.

I am pretty sure both April 16 and April 17 have been added as "substitution" holidays.

Edited by lomatopo

ANybody know is the PO open today?

Thanks

Doc50

It depends. My local branch post office is closed April 6, 7, 8, & 9 (it is normally open on Saturdays, at least until 13:00), and April 12, 13, 14, 15, 15 & 17.

I am pretty sure both April 16 and April 17 have been added as "substitution" holidays.

So sending a letter from Pattaya to Bangkok might almost certainly take 2 weeks.

Not too bad,yeah?

Ooops,I almost forgot that a few years ago they simply burned the post in Pattaya after the Songkran holidays because they couldn't handle the massive amount due to the extended holidays.

So most probably I will have to change my previous prediction to,it might almost certainly never arrive.

Edited by pipo1000

I know it is heresy to be concerned with anything other than whether or not you can get booze on these "holidays" but does anyone know whether or not the banks ( and therefore foreign exchange markets) will be open on Monday 9 April ?

The currency exchange markets appear to have been closed on Friday 6 April since the exchange rate page for Siam Commercial Bank only shows data for Thursday 5 April ( as does the English language newspaper that we dare not name )

http://www.scb.co.th/scb_api/index.jsp

I cannot speak for all the banks, but I know Bangkok Bank is closed April 9, and again April 13 and 16.

I found those dates on the Bangkok Bank web site, as I too need to go into the bank to complete two transactions.

uh oh...bad news for US expats that haven't yet filed their 2011 tax return as the deadline is 19 April...I saw on the tv that the princess had died but didn't make the connection with the post office closing...

Outside the US you have until June.

• Like 1

uh oh...bad news for US expats that haven't yet filed their 2011 tax return as the deadline is 19 April...I saw on the tv that the princess had died but didn't make the connection with the post office closing...

that's good to know but do you have a page reference from the 2011 1040 instructions?...please note that I mean no disrespect, just wanna be sure...