Sunrise Tacos 2Nd Rd. Now Open!

SunriseTacos

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More recent experiences at Sunrise, good and bad, mostly good I'm glad to say:

The soft corn tortillas have been holding together for me. Bravo! I hope this is fixed consistently.

Good recent experience with the meats. The Al Pastor (especially) and the carnitas were better than ever. Previous times the Al Pastor had been so dry I stopped getting it. Consistency is an issue. A recent order of birria involved beef that was very, very tough. Expected with Thai beef but the last time I had birria the beef was wonderfully tender. Also note the broth had changed. I realize you don't serve a hot and spicy broth (even though in my view that would be more authentic) this time even the non-pepper spices were way too subdued. People who order birria are going to be more sophisticated Mexican food eaters, how about some spice?

The custom of bringing some chips with any order is fantastic. Especially given these are really good chips and they go so well with your bar salsas! Well done. This makes the plus plus go down easier.

clap2.gif

You may have gone a little too far training the waiters to drop the menu and then go away. Has it occurred to you some customers know already to start to order when they sit down? The waiters don't even ask or wait around long enough to tell them. Then it may be (in my experience IS) hard to get a waiter's attention to get them back even when there are very few customers. Just saying ...

Napkins. Suggest you train the waiters to offer more napkins when it is clear the current one (you only give one) is soiled. Mexican food can be messy, hadn't you heard? Ever heard of a six napkin burrito? coffee1.gif Seriously isn't that basic service to see when a customer obviously NEEDS more napkins? If not that, how about offering them at the salsa bar for people to get as needed? Yes, people can ask for more, but that means getting a waiter's attention (see above).

No sign of the guacomole days as yet! Sigh. whistling.gif

post-37101-0-53932200-1335294691_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

Someone was telling me that the Jomtien establishment does an early evening special once or twice a week that allows one to try several different dishes for an all-in price.

I didnt see anything about it on the menu. Does anyone know anything about that?

It's decades since I last eat Mexican food (it was in Mexico if I remember correctly) I've been thinking about trying it again for some time, though I must say that reading about the ++ pricing has put me off. Nothing annoys me more than thinly-disguised extra costs that cant be avoided. As far as I'm concerned it's just trickery and there's no possible excuse for it at all.

I reckon you are referring to Taco Days! Tuesdays and Fridays, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. for 220 baht. You can choose any taco shell you like for the meats on the promotion menu even though that isn't indicated on the menu. You start the order with a maximum of three tacos, mix and match if you like, and then you are free to order more as you like. Also included apple and/or pumpkin pie. Yes it's a good value.

The drinks are a special lower price but NOT all you can drink! Priced for one drinkie.

http://www.sunriseta...tuesdaymenu.pdf

Edited by Jingthing

I live within easy staggering distance so I will definitely have to try that at some point, if only to remind myself what Mexican food tastes like. Apple pie sounds nice also, and will make a change from the Hilton's apple crumble.

Is the salsa bar thing included?

When you say 220Baht presumably you mean 220++ which equals about 260Baht? Iniquitous, isnt it?

I live within easy staggering distance so I will definitely have to try that at some point, if only to remind myself what Mexican food tastes like. Apple pie sounds nice also, and will make a change from the Hilton's apple crumble.

Is the salsa bar thing included?

When you say 220Baht presumably you mean 220++ which equals about 260Baht? Iniquitous, isnt it?

Unlimited salsa bar is included. They are now also including a small but adequate serving of very good tortilla chips with all orders even the taco promotion. If for some reason they don't bring it, ask for it, it IS included. Haven't tried the apple pie but the filling of the pumpkin pie is nice. Not Mexican food but why not. For the promotion meats, I suggest all the pork items and also the Baja Fish (very much). The beef offered is mince (Tex-Mex style) and I don't find their grilled chicken has any grill flavor (bland). The price is 220 and then add 17 percent on the bill, plus plus. Water is a budget drink offering at 20 baht, then add plus plus. Edited by Jingthing

This thread is about the mobile Sunrise Taco truck, no?

Without the pesky service charge I heard.

And 20 Bt for water.

Even Darrel can eat there without too much guilt.

Yes but it sounds like Darrel is keen for the salsa bar, which is only on offer in Jomtien.

Also, of course, no special Taco promotion all you can eat days at the truck location. Seriously for the value conscious that's the best Mexican food deal in town, even with plus plus.

Indeed. It sounds pretty good (especially the fish taco and salsa bar; I'm not a huge meat eater) and so I will surely be giving it a go on Tuesday very soon.

Also, of course, no special Taco promotion all you can eat days at the truck location. Seriously for the value conscious that's the best Mexican food deal in town, even with plus plus.

Indeed. It sounds pretty good (especially the fish taco and salsa bar; I'm not a huge meat eater) and so I will surely be giving it a go on Tuesday very soon.

You may or may not want the white sauce they slather on the fish tacos.

The white sauce is not terrible but I think its best, served on the side.

A squeeze of lime and some salsa is the way I like to go.

Lime and salsa sounds better than salad cream to me also. Salad cream is too oily and not sharp enough for me.

The thing is ... Baja Fish Tacos are traditionally/authentically served with a mayo-based sauce! So you can't fault Sunrise for serving them that way be default. That said, getting that on the side for the fish tacos is a good idea. Also just because you might use some mayo sauce on the fish (think tartar sauce for fish and chips) doesn't mean you can't ALSO add lime and spicy salsas as well.

Napkins. Suggest you train the waiters to offer more napkins when it is clear the current one (you only give one) is soiled. Mexican food can be messy, hadn't you heard? Ever heard of a six napkin burrito? coffee1.gif Seriously isn't that basic service to see when a customer obviously NEEDS more napkins? If not that, how about offering them at the salsa bar for people to get as needed? Yes, people can ask for more, but that means getting a waiter's attention (see above).

Speaking of napkins/serviettes at Sunrise: I was kept fully stocked by the wait staff. The basket of chips arrived shortly after the menu, so I went to get the salsa. Returning to my table I realized I didn't have a napkin. I saw a tray of napkins with silverware at the counter and smiled at the bartender (? I think that was her job?) and took one. About a minute later my waiter delivered another napkin (with no silverware) and about three minutes later, a waitress (with whom I had had no interaction) brought me another set (napkin + silverware,) so I ended up with THREE napkins and two sets of cutlery before my main course.

Once I DID have to ask for the gratis chips. So I mentioned that if you get a waiter who doesn't bring them without asking, you CAN ask. Keep in mind this is a fairly new policy -- gratis chips for all tables, so some older customers may not even know about it.

That napkin story rings true. What I am saying is the waiters should REALIZE they are dealing with a messy food type (especially the kind you pick up) and ANTICIPATE need for napkins, before you need to tell them. Because when you need them, where are they? Remember they are trained now to not stare at you, which is great, but I think it's gone too far as they don't even walk around to check tables, which is NORMAL service.

Edited by Jingthing

Nothing but good things to say about Sunrise tacos in Jomtien. First time there was shown the free salsa bar with a free basket of chips. When I ordered I had Tacobell sizes in mind so me and the missus ordered a load of food. Just 1 item was enough to fill me, the excellent pitcher of margarita did help me get through a lot more than I should have though.

Been back many times since and pop in a few times a week to take a pitcher home as its hard to get out with the baby so a few times a week we will take one of them home to enjoy in the house.

Service has been nothing but fantastic everytime I have been in there, very friendly and helpfull staff. With the menu for me its a case of trying different things until you figure out what you like the best. Each time I go in I try something new working out what my favourite is.

Speaking of hygiene, someone's got to say it so it might as well be me. Have you noticed the steep and narrow stairway up to the toilets at Sunrise. Not to mention the very narrow steps. A bit of a hazard yes, especially after some margaritas? I am wondering why RAILINGS haven't been installed? Just asking.

An expectation of dining at a real restaurant (with plus plus charges) is a safe access to toilets, yes?

Edited by Jingthing

^it's much cheaper to mix your own margarita's than buy pitchers from ST!!

I agree but if I want a premium margarita I am having to pay nearly 2500 for patron or herrendura, 1000+ for cointreau then there is the messing about with the limes, cocktail shaker, syrup and then the cleaning up. It may taste a bit better but when your tired with a new born you just want an ice cold cocktail and right now :D

I have yet to find a good margarita mix that you add your own alcohol too. I can only find the ready made mix that already has the alcohol in and it doesnt taste very nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Last three times, had to ASK for the chips. How would non-regulars KNOW to ask?

Margaritas NOT filled high enough in the glass.

Fruit salsas have gotten way too much sugar now. Ruins the taste of the tacos they are served with. (You've been warned.)

Carnitas even without the fruit ruining it has gone too sweet. Thai chef palate alert!

Can no longer suggest the birria as the meat is way too tough and there is no spice in the broth

Salsas not always topped up at the bar.

Soft corn tortillas are falling apart again.

Sorry.

Edited by Jingthing

are the beans still hard inside burrito?

I dont want to eat with sunrise the third time and get a bad taste from uncooked beans

i might hurt somebody there

I didn't notice the beans being overly hard but possibly. I did recently get a refried bean dish. Yes the beans were way too garlicky. Not sure if fresh garlic, tasted like powder induced.

There could be an off season "laziness" in the kitchen.

Edited by Jingthing

Sounds like the place has gone tits-up already...what's it been 3 or 4 months? Not surprised as I never understood what all the fuss was about, considering the quality of the food served at their BKK outlets.

I think its still possible to have a half decent meal there, but I fear new customers without knowing the best ways and things to order may be having less than stellar experiences. I guess not a problem with one off tourists. Edited by Jingthing

Update:

Last three times, had to ASK for the chips. How would non-regulars KNOW to ask?

Margaritas NOT filled high enough in the glass.

Fruit salsas have gotten way too much sugar now. Ruins the taste of the tacos they are served with. (You've been warned.)

Carnitas even without the fruit ruining it has gone too sweet. Thai chef palate alert!

Can no longer suggest the birria as the meat is way too tough and there is no spice in the broth

Salsas not always topped up at the bar.

Soft corn tortillas are falling apart again.

Sorry.

Wouldn't it have been a much easier to read post if you instead had only listed the items that are worth ordering?

Sounds like the place has gone tits-up already...what's it been 3 or 4 months? Not surprised as I never understood what all the fuss was about, considering the quality of the food served at their BKK outlets.

You know where in the world you can eat the best Italian food?................in New York

You know where in the world you can eat the best Japanese food?..............in Paris

You know where in the world you can eat the best Mexican food?.............Don't bother there is no such thing.

You know where in the world you can eat the best Italian food?................in New York

You know where in the world you can eat the best Japanese food?..............in Paris

You know where in the world you can eat the best Mexican food?.............Don't bother there is no such thing.

Don't brag about your ignorance regarding Mexican food, please.

I don't really know the answer about the specific city though. It would be in Mexico but I have had great food in Guadalajara, Mexico City, and Oaxaca I don't think it would be easy to say where is best.

Edited by Jingthing