Why Did You Come To Live Here?

thenervoussurgeon

I left the U.S. in 2002 (Puerto Rico at that time, then Dominican Republic, and now Thailand for five plus years). I go back to the U.S. every year to do some volunteer work and visit family, and EVERY time I am reminded why I don't live there. One group of family visited lives in San Jose. My son and I were walking by a small shopping center early one morning, and came across a half sandwich that had obviously been dropped the night before. Not one ant, not one fly, no mouse - you get the picture. They have sterilized that place (probably why all the bees are dying). At least Thailand is still vey much alive. Sure, it's a bother when I drop a crumb of food in the kitcchen and five minutes later it's being carted off by a small army of insects, but I'll take that inconvenience any day!

• Like 1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, I have my Thai wife (Thai women make farang women look like MEN)

Agree with most of what you wrote. The exception is the above. Maybe you should've said "Thai women make farang women that I could get look like MEN".

For sure, the last time I was in London (3 years ago), there were hordes of high quality totty in the bars, the clubs and the restaurants and guess what? . . . there were hordes of normal guys having relationships with them.

• Like 1

Agree with most of what you wrote. The exception is the above. Maybe you should've said "Thai women make farang women that I could get look like MEN".

For sure, the last time I was in London (3 years ago), there were hordes of high quality totty in the bars, the clubs and the restaurants and guess what? . . . there were hordes of normal guys having relationships with them.

You hit the nail on the head there for sure!jap.gif

e it

Oooh! Bitchy but true! Like it!wink.png

• Like 1

There are worse places than Britain. USA comes to mind.

I'm just very happy I don't have to live there any longer.

Agreed! As an American, the main reasons I left are

- 40% of my paycheck gone before I receive it

- Ridiculous property taxes on family houses ($12,000/year in my county)

- No health Insurance? Then please die quietly; away from the marble entrance of our private hospital

- University tuition ($50,000/ year over 4 years $200,000 for a Bachelor degree)

- Crazy Rednecks! (Tea Party)

- New Gingrich

- Barack Obama let us down!

Barack Obama let us down? Really?

When George Bush was in office he ran the U.S. Into the ground. He started a war, which killed thousands and he ruined our economy.

I think you have the wrong person that let us down my friend.

The American economy is slowly coming back, give Obama a chance.

My 401k was cut in half just before he came into office, now it has more than recovered its value going on $2 million strong.

I'm not retired yet, but if the Republicans win the next election, I will be.

There are worse places than Britain. USA comes to mind.

I'm just very happy I don't have to live there any longer.

Agreed! As an American, the main reasons I left are

- 40% of my paycheck gone before I receive it

- Ridiculous property taxes on family houses ($12,000/year in my county)

- No health Insurance? Then please die quietly; away from the marble entrance of our private hospital

- University tuition ($50,000/ year over 4 years $200,000 for a Bachelor degree)

- Crazy Rednecks! (Tea Party)

- New Gingrich

- Barack Obama let us down!

Barack Obama let us down? Really?

When George Bush was in office he ran the U.S. Into the ground. He started a war, which killed thousands and he ruined our economy.

I think you have the wrong person that let us down my friend.

My 401k was cut in half just before he came into office, now it has more than recovered its value going on $2 million strong.

Then you should begin working on your visas as BO will not be re-elected.

Granted, GWB was an idiot and drove the country over the precipice, but BO has done nothing but tend to his liberal agenda of spending $$$ the US doesn't have.

I came because I like it here. I travelled a bit in life. I originally was going to retire in Mexico. But moved to the west coast to sail and met many people who vacationed in Thailand at the time.So thought I would give it a try.

Loved Thailand right from the taxi ride i the first night.Every year I holidayed here for 2 months for about 16 years.Then just retired and moved here.

The exotic part has diminished but it is still a great place to be.I came for many of the things already mentioned.The cheap costs,the beautiful women,no rules,friendly atmosphere etc.I feel I am part of a small group of people who are able to save thousands of dollars a month just by living here.In Canada most single guys my age retired cannot save a cent the costs are so high.I will never look back with regrets.

One thing I need to mention about the women. For me it is that they are open and friendly and make man feel loved and apppreciated.If Canadian women could give me the same feeling I may not be here.

• Like 1

There are worse places than Britain. USA

comes to mind.

I'm just very happy I don't have

to live there any longer.

The rest of us in the Us are very happy also that you are no longer there.

Thank you.

Ah, you have a mandate to speak for the entire population of the US? Please elaborate on that, I would like to hear about it.

There are worse places than Britain. USA

comes to mind.

I'm just very happy I don't have

to live there any longer.

The rest of us in the Us are very happy also that you are no longer there.

Thank you.

I know I know. Americans are too proud to admit the facts. But at least the Brits acknowledge reality er come to terms.

I lived in Thailand for over 6 years and chose to return to the US for several reasons.

#1 The baht went from 40 per to 30, giving me 25% less buying power.

#2The recession devastated my investments and I lost my renter in California.

Lastly, I contracted the Chikungunya /Dengue and it transformed me from a young man to an old man in the space of 6 months.

I had many great times, surfed many good waves, had many great lady "friends" and walked many great beaches in south Thailand, the memories will live forever in my mind and harddrive.

I was at one time thinking about someday re-locating to the Chiang Rai area, for a cooler climate, but after seeing the air problems there this year, that is not an option.

I guess my point is that "happiness is where you find it and can make it last".

Everybody's idea of happiness is relative.

The USA isn't perfect OR Thailand, but it's home until something comes up that's better for ME.

You said, "and the importance of trust law as they are stripped of their assets in this land" What do you mean? You lost me.

What I mean is, that Trust Law is the primary means by which the assets of people who cannot take care their own affairs are protected under UK law. And indeed the means by which assets can be protected on behalf of children and dependents.

It is common practice to place the assets, wealth, home of people suffering the diseases of old age which affect the ability to remember/think clearly, into trust. Thereby protecting them against those who might wish to strip the helpless old person of those assets, wealth, home.

Likewise it is common practice to place willed estates into trust to protect the assets on behalf of young children or dependents who might not themselves be able to reliably protect themselves against the theft of the estate.

Thailand has no trust law.

You said, "and the importance of trust law as they are stripped of their assets in this land" What do you mean? You lost me.

What I mean is, that Trust Law is the primary means by which the assets of people who cannot take care their own affairs are protected under UK law. And indeed the means by which assets can be protected on behalf of children and dependents.

It is common practice to place the assets, wealth, home of people suffering the diseases of old age which affect the ability to remember/think clearly, into trust. Thereby protecting them against those who might wish to strip the helpless old person of those assets, wealth, home.

Likewise it is common practice to place willed estates into trust to protect the assets on behalf of young children or dependents who might not themselves be able to reliably protect themselves against the theft of the estate.

Thailand has no trust law.

our children have property in their name here since being around 1 year old which is totally legal here. Your right there is no trust law but for practical purposes parents here hold childrens assets for them although they are totally in the child's name and control once child reaches 20. Ill swap that thanks for UK where state takes 40% of any money we want to leave our kids over a modest amount. As far as care is concerned id rather my wife does not need to wipe my arse and sincerely hope I will pass long before I become a financial or other burden to my family here or my family in UK. Like many I have enough funds for emergency medical needs and if long term care is needed luckily at present help is quite inexpensive as compared with west. My main concerns are cost of decent education and protecting our income and assets against inflation and mad money printing going on. As far as going back to UK I cant see me ever wanting to but if it had to be to get UK medical long term care paid for by state id consider the huge amount of taxes I paid over 40 years in UK fully entitled me to get a small bit back but it would be a last resort and only if alternative was putting my families financial well being at stake. For this and many reasons all our assets and money is in my wife and childrens names

dream on American economy slowly coming back cheesy.gif with 15 trillion debt and ?? is it every $ spent USA needs to borrow 40% USA is dead as a duck as is most of europe.

I am glad you have found a place where racism and homophobia are tolerated. If you ever tire of Thailand, you can always move to Tennessee or Alabama, in the USA. Slightly more impoverished than Thailand, but at least you don't have to worry about Muslim insurgencies, as Sharia Law has already been banned there.

dream on American economy slowly coming back cheesy.gif with 15 trillion debt and ?? is it every $ spent USA needs to borrow 40% USA is dead as a duck as is most of europe.

While I am not usually one to defend the USA, to be fair, it is not like anyone is going to come and collect that debt, the debt is slightly more realistic than the nonexistant money that they 'borrowed'. At the end of the day, at least the USA has the capability of being self sufficient, unlike many places in Europe, given its large and diverse geography and resources. The biggest threat to the USA is not debt, it is the class warfare being waged by the GOP in creating tier of oligarchs and destroying the middle class that made it the most prosperous in the world last century. If something is not done to reverse the GOP's attack on public education, then the USA will indeed become a backwater 3rd world country, not from debt, but from the ignorance of the masses in letting the 1% exploit them, just like they do in every other poor country.

While I am not usually one to defend the USA, to be fair, it is not like anyone is going to come and collect that debt, the debt is slightly more realistic than the nonexistant money that they 'borrowed'. At the end of the day, at least the USA has the capability of being self sufficient, unlike many places in Europe, given its large and diverse geography and resources. The biggest threat to the USA is not debt, it is the class warfare being waged by the GOP in creating tier of oligarchs and destroying the middle class that made it the most prosperous in the world last century. If something is not done to reverse the GOP's attack on public education, then the USA will indeed become a backwater 3rd world country, not from debt, but from the ignorance of the masses in letting the 1% exploit them, just like they do in every other poor country.

Scoffing at $15 trillion in debt negates anything else you have to say, although it is the liberal rhetoric.

I am young and the UK has no prospects for the younger generation anymore. I was working my ass off just to afford my rent and put food on the table when I realised that I could have a better quality of life over here.

I feel more grown up and independent and like I'm doing something with my life now than I ever have done before. :)

• Like 1

USA (and Europe) will not become 3rd world countries... but obviously economic growth will be slower than in Asia (excluding Japan) for the foreseeable future... this is mostly due to natural catch up

No, now I am being ironic. However, to keep this topical, I will state that my sole reason for coming here was kanom, especially the dry rice cakes with the sugar trails.

You have a picture? I am curios smile.png

I'll try to find one for you.... here we go, Kanom Nang Let. They're the best reason for coming here.

sweet-rice-cakes.jpg

• Like 1

No, now I am being ironic. However, to keep this topical, I will state that my sole reason for coming here was kanom, especially the dry rice cakes with the sugar trails.

You have a picture? I am curios smile.png

I'll try to find one for you.... here we go, Kanom Nang Let. They're the best reason for coming here.

sweet-rice-cakes.jpg

Surly not better than mango with sticky rice.

• Like 1

I am glad you have found a place where racism and homophobia are tolerated. If you ever tire of Thailand, you can always move to Tennessee or Alabama, in the USA. Slightly more impoverished than Thailand, but at least you don't have to worry about Muslim insurgencies, as Sharia Law has already been banned there.

What the heck are you responding to?

Not for me. The quality of farang women I'd be willing to sleep with is now in the very very top .01% like looks-like-a-supermodel-without-makeup quality. *AND* of course she's got to be willing to service my every need without me having to go to hardly any effort to make her happy.

And even though my standards keep going up and up with Thai girls over the years, I still reckon at least 1% of them fit the bill, and somehow I keep meeting a different Miss Right several times a year.