Thailand Really Likes Old Western Guys

kerryk

What our kerryk says is true to a point, but it still depends.

All is fine providing these farangs that suddenly decide to park themselves in Thailand can adapt to Thai culture and ways of the people, keep within the laws and do not expect a yes massah approach from the Thais.

Unfortunately from my experience and what I have witnessed over the years many seem unable to follow these golden rules and often end up in conflicts with they’re Thai neighbors or having to frequently peer over their shoulders because they are contravening one law or another.

Not a big problem in moderation but as more and more of the West’s less wealthier citizens begin pouring into the country, believing that they are onto a good thing because their mates have told them it is cheap, more relaxed and more able to keep a low profile here, then their activities begin to attract the attentions of the Thai authorities and can bring in tighter Immigration restrictions onto all of us.

I have no problems with those who abide by the laws, rules and regulations but unfortunately many here I consider as suspect and shady, so these sudden influxes of farangs into the provinces is not a good thing in my opinion and certainly not beneficial for the ex-pats that are already here.

A very nice post from the OP.

What does Beetlejuice's reply have to do with the topic? - nothing

Why do some posters have to keep introducing meaningless diatribe aimed at nobody in particular.

I disagree. Beetlejuice's reply was well thought out and true. Many western louts come to Thailand and give other tourists a bad name. They treat the women working in bars and cafes like pieces of meat, and the backlash is the women treat the sexpats like a sucker that should be fleeced. It's a two way street.

Beetlejuice's reply was aimed at farangs in the provinces - he appears to have a problem with them.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am living here and my son just spent 6 months here. I am older and he is in his mid 20's.

I have to correct the title to - Thailand Really Likes Western Guys.

That puts you at about half the age of your Thai partner. You've turned the tables on everyone with this smile.png

edit: I presume however that you're female?

Edited by Gweiloman

I am sure there is more than one old fella reading kerryk's post wishing they could do as he does in Thailand .

On the other hand I was brought up in a family , in the very most western extremity of Europe , who liked to party and we did it all together , we still do . They turn up every now and then , in asia , wearing black leather jackets to protect their white skin and we do the drinking and singing and all that . We make it up up as we go along . The Thai side off my family can do all these things too . Whisky is the fuel of invention . Hail !!

A lot of the reason families in 'real Thailand' do things more as a group is because they don't have enough money to do things alone. Most of those young people would be out with their friends instead of hanging out with mom and her farang boyfriend if they had the cash to go and do anything.

• Like 1

It depends on where you are, but also, I would say, if you knew a little bit more about thais and thai culture, you would also realize that they can be very age conscious.

For example, some of my female friends, who are in their mid to late 20´s, refuse to go to certain places, cause they say its only for the young people, meaning in their early twenties. Furthermore, I play heavy rock music, and when some girls realize I am over 30, and yet not married, they think it is really strange. By thirty, they think I should have been married a long time ago, gotten some kids, and stop playing heavy rock music.

I remember a woman in an American disco calling me Gramps. I think I was 40 at the time. Now I go to a club where people ask me to dance and they range in age from 20 to 60. It's a nice change.

It's the "oldest guy in the club" syndrome. Not a pretty scenario. I enjoy going clubbing, having a few drinks, dancing and generatlly having a good time. Alas, not possible in my country as you become a pariah once past a certain age.

Strangers young and old usually return my smile in Thailand, not so in some other places

I do agree in Thailand children are taught to respect their elders....which to a point is good but can also be a block on development

But for sure the times are upon us when the young will be closed to communication, don their headphones, drowning in their own non interactive low contact world

Ian: I didn't realise you knew Jing back then!!

This common act of community has all but been lost in the west. Smiling at a stranger in the US will usually result in the other party turning their eyes away, clutching their children and scurrying away post haste.

Much like the phenomenon of apologizing at every encounter, even when unnecessary.

It depends on where you are, but also, I would say, if you knew a little bit more about thais and thai culture, you would also realize that they can be very age conscious.

For example, some of my female friends, who are in their mid to late 20´s, refuse to go to certain places, cause they say its only for the young people, meaning in their early twenties. Furthermore, I play heavy rock music, and when some girls realize I am over 30, and yet not married, they think it is really strange. By thirty, they think I should have been married a long time ago, gotten some kids, and stop playing heavy rock music.

Obvious you are from Bangkok. I excluded the big smoke, thank you very much.

My pardner is always telling me to stop drinking and strummin' tunes with lads in the soi , they are youngsters you see . I know she is right , and they are a dangerous bunch but music and beer brings out the best in a rowdie .

I will stick my neck out here and say the older and more blue collar you are, the more you enjoy Thailand.

I will bet you are a rig pig. I know, it's OK. I am feeling psychic tonight.

Actually I am related to the Queen of England on my grandmothers side of the family. I still have two tuxedos in my closet next to a dozen hand painted ties. I don't use them much any more. I keep waiting for Ian to invite me to a black tie event.

I can just picture KerryK prancing around Siam Square, doing the latest Korean Boy Band dance moves and picking up all the university girls who realize that older men are the ideal partners.

You gave it away. 1. you are not Thai and 2/ you live or have lived in Bangkok for a long time.

I will stick my neck out here and say the older and more blue collar you are, the more you enjoy Thailand.

I will bet you are a rig pig. I know, it's OK. I am feeling psychic tonight.

Actually I am related to the Queen of England on my grandmothers side of the family. I still have two tuxedos in my closet next to a dozen hand painted ties. I don't use them much any more. I keep waiting for Ian to invite me to a black tie event.

I have found that workers and peasants are as genorous as the teachers and civil servents in Thailand with pleasantrys and drink of water and a meal shared .The peasants and workers will pay the bill and civil servants will not . I have not to this day encountered the upper echelon of Thai society . I like the idea of a working class afinity to recogonise each other and be supportive . Alas .

I am living here and my son just spent 6 months here. I am older and he is in his mid 20's.

That puts you at about half the age of your Thai partner. You've turned the tables on everyone with this smile.png

edit: I presume however that you're female?

No, I am a man and my Thai wife is only 13.5 years younger than me.

thailand really likes old guys with fat wallets

So why am I liked then? My wallet is a hair above flat. sad.png

maybe, because, even though by your standards it is flat, but you probably have more than 190 USD/per month, and if that is true, you are already richer than a lot of thai peasants.

thailand really likes old guys with fat wallets

So why am I liked then? My wallet is a hair above flat. sad.png

maybe, because, even though by your standards it is flat, but you probably have more than 190 USD/per month, and if that is true, you are already richer than a lot of thai peasants.

$197.25 a month!!!!!

Most of the time i am reading about all of the bad things in Thailand and people bitching about thailand and the Thai people.I was always wondering what i was doing wrong,Thai people greet me and come over to look at the garden and bring me plants and trees and talk about the cows we keep.

I was afraid there was something really wrong with me,but guess what?I am not alone!

Great thread and long overdue,a real picker upper for a lot of old geezers like me, i think.

• Like 2

Most of the time i am reading about all of the bad things in Thailand and people bitching about thailand and the Thai people.I was always wondering what i was doing wrong,Thai people greet me and come over to look at the garden and bring me plants and trees and talk about the cows we keep.

I was afraid there was something really wrong with me,but guess what?I am not alone!

Great thread and long overdue,a real picker upper for a lot of old geezers like me, i think.

I suspect sex tourists living in Pattaya and foreign farmers living in the countryside may be perceived and treated in two entirely different ways by the Thais.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

If you have a Heart that can be felt, then no problems. jap.gif

I suspect sex tourists living in Pattaya and foreign farmers living in the countryside may be perceived and treated in two entirely different ways by the Thais.

Actually I never mentioned sex tourists or Pattaya. I did mention the Big Smoke and the Big Joke, Bangkok and Phuket.

Just to repeat I never mentioned sex tourists or Pattaya you did.

If you have a Heart that can be felt, then no problems. jap.gif

But don't let your arse be felt .

I think you will find out as you live here longer that regardless of how much some web sites try and make fun of the old fellows with practical jokes and such that Thailand has skewed the entire expat experience in favor of old guys from Visa to marriage practices. Thai women are not stupid; they realize it is easier to have a relationship with an old fellow than a young one and they take advantage of that fact.

They also realise that your time is running out which means they don't have to put up with you for too long wink.png

• Like 1