Alcohol Sales This Weekend?

edwardandtubs

There has been some talk on this forum about no alcohol sales this weekend due to a royal funeral but no Thai person in Bangkok I've asked knows anything about this. I assume the "normal" bars like sport bars and open air beer gardens are open and serving drinks as normal. Has anyone heard differently?

The closure dates are all over the map, without any reliable source of info.

I was told (by bar worker) Sunday/Monday (only) bars closed and no alcohol sales. I heard nothing about Friday or Tuesday.

I do know that it was stated in the paper as 8-9-10 no alcohol

10th is fine according to a few bars owners I've spoken to...

Maybe the beer will be there already, not the girls who also will have to stay "dry" for this period of time. I prefer waiting until Wednesday: fresh beers, fresh girls... and the weeping is over!

I just came back from a karaoke restaurant in the Ram Intra area, and I can report that singing and alcohol do go on today. (Hicks!)

An alcohol retailer and distributor here in Bangkok told me that they are not allowed to sell alcohol after 6pm on Sunday, and all of Monday. This contradicts an earlier posting saying that the ban is voluntary.

Well, all kinds of answers and variations here regarding BKK...

I believe I'm correct in saying that April 8 - 10 (Sunday to Tuesday) is the formal mourning period.

But I'm not especially clued into the bar scene to be able to say how things are going to work.

I'm also not especially up on the bar scene but If Monday is out then typically that would mean Sunday and Tuesday are out too since the ban is likely for the entire day ... Midnight Tuesday to Midnight Monday.

Edited by Nisa

My boyfriends bar is not serving alcohol or opening his bar on the 8th and 9th for sure... Not too sure about the 10th though. However I just went for some food and saw some Thai guys drinking big leo's with their food?! Who knows...

I was out and around tonight around dinner time in my Sukhumvit area...and everything looked pretty normal. I saw hotel-related bars and regular drinks only bars serving. I didn't see a single place around my neighborhood that appeared to be dark or restricted. Even Lolitas was open. (But I'm not speaking about, nor did I go to, Nana or Cowboy.)