Amazing Transaction In Chinatown Herb Store ?

morrobay

Went up to Bangkok Chinatown to this herb store where they sell bulk ginzing , usually about 300 grams/600 baht.

This time they had a larger package, about one and half times larger for 1100 baht. That seemed a little high so I just handed the Chinese lady 1000 baht and she accepted. Before I left the store I decided to sample a little just to confirm its really ginzing .

While I was about to leave the store after the transaction the lady walks up to me and gives me 900 baht !. So i got all this ginzing for 100 baht ?

Did not ask any questions and just left the store and caught a bus.

Im just baffled as to why this savey business lady did this. ?

The only explanation can think of is that it was a Buddist Holiday with celebrations in the streets and I had a Buddist flyer in my hand while in the store ?

Edited by morrobay

So you pride yourself on your honesty then ??

You have missunderstood what happened here .This was not a mistake by this savy Chinese women - they dont make mistakes.

This was not change she gave me. During the initial transaction she showed me on a calculator : 1100 , for baht of course.

So I just gave her 1000 and she accepted , a little reluctenly ( i cant spell ) The transaction was complete.

Then it was only because I was taking the time to check the ginzing that she walked over and gave me the 900.

I did not ask questions because it was obvious it was not an error.

So you pride yourself on your honesty then ??

You have missunderstood what happened here .This was not a mistake by this savy Chinese women - they dont make mistakes.

This was not change she gave me. During the initial transaction she showed me on a calculator : 1100 , for baht of course.

So I just gave her 1000 and she accepted , a little reluctenly ( i cant spell ) The transaction was complete.

Then it was only because I was taking the time to check the ginzing that she walked over and gave me the 900.

100% sure that YOU have missunderstood what happened here !!!

Well in my experience with the Chinese business community , and that includes buying a condo in the Sunset District of S.F.

As well as years of going to Chinatowns in S.F. and New York City: Canal st. Mott st, Elizabeth st . (NYC)

They dont make mistakes.

Thats why I asked this question .

Thats what I would have expected....but this threw me ...'So I just gave her 1000 and she accepted , a little reluctenly ( i cant spell ) The transaction was complete.'..... I have had this also, they accept and thats that...money away and no more to say....unless he has misinterperated her which might not be difficult.

She thought you gave her 2000 Baht

And gave you the exchange

He gave her 2 x 1000 notes stuck together. Dont ruin his dream..

Or she expected him to give her 2000 and made the mistake.

If I show you 1100 on the calculator and you supposedly agree and give me money, I assume it is 1100, or 1500 or 2000.

If I am in some deep other thoughts and not focused on the business, I could think that I take 1000, put it to my other cash, "wake up" recall 1000 note--> must have been 2 and run after you to give you the 900 Baht.

Thinkable in my opinion.

Or I get 1000 Baht, put it to the money. Think ups that were just 1000 Baht, OR??? Can't check anymore. Assume I must have been wrong and it was 2000 (as I showed that Farang 1100 Baht and he agreed).

laugh.png

necronx99, don't be so cruel !

IME those Chinese folks are so smart, once i was in Yaowarat and i bought a simple thermometer..The guy starting price was 150 Baht, but i bought it for 100 after 20 min. of hard bargaining..I was feeling so proud of myself until the next day..When i saw the same item for sale at some shop near Khao San Road, priced 30 Baht wacko.png

• Like 1

I think you got it ! You are very perceptive .At the time it occured to me that maybe I did give her 2000 baht because I always plant 2000 in my wallet

when Im in Bangkok . But the way things were going yesterday in Bangkok Chinatown I may have lost track of what was in the wallet.

For one thing the jerk city bus driver ( bus #7 from Hua Lamphong railway station to Chinatown ) was letting passengers off in the middle of the very very

busy streets. So I refused to get off the bus until he pulled all the way over to the curb.That was 3 stops beyond where i originally intended to get off.

Then I went shopping in this huge indoor shopping bazarre between India town and Chinatown . And was totally disoriented exiting and spent one

hour walking in circles to get back to my herb store.

So the long story is that i was not in a very accurate state of mind when all this happened. Re how much I gave her.

Actually Im lucky she probably thought I was waiting for change while checking the ginzing.

So either I really gave her 2000 or she thought i gave her 2000

But like I said Im not sure what really happened

Edited by morrobay

laugh.png

necronx99, don't be so cruel !

IME those Chinese folks are so smart, once i was in Yaowarat and i bought a simple thermometer..The guy starting price was 150 Baht, but i bought it for 100 after 20 min. of hard bargaining..I was feeling so proud of myself until the next day..When i saw the same item for sale at some shop near Khao San Road, priced 30 Baht wacko.png

Reminds me of one of my first thai language haggling experiences where I walked away with the words " you speak thai very well" floating after me....

I think you got it ! You are very perceptive .At the time it occured to me that maybe I did give her 2000 baht because I always plant 2000 in my wallet

when Im in Bangkok . But the way things were going yesterday in Bangkok Chinatown I may have lost track of what was in the wallet.

For one thing the jerk city bus driver ( bus #7 from Hua Lamphong railway station to Chinatown ) was letting passengers off in the middle of the very very

busy streets. So I refused to get off the bus until he pulled all the way over to the curb.That was 3 stops beyond where i originally intended to get off.

Then I went shopping in this huge indoor shopping bazarre between India town and Chinatown . And was totally disoriented exiting and spent one

So the long story is that i was not in a very accurate state of mind when all this happened. Re how much I gave her.

Actually Im lucky she probably thought I was waiting for change while checking the ginzing.

Unless you're a complete scumbag you should go back to the shop and give the woman the 1000 baht you owe her.

""not an error"" ????....besides what sort of ginzing (ginseng) cost only 100 baht for a large package ???

Of course she knows the price of this package of ginzing , 1100 baht

By not an error it occured to me that for some unknown reason she decided to give me the package for only 100 baht.

Because it was a Buddist Holiday up there and maybe this was something special she wanted to do for me.

Maybe im dreaming on that.

But next time I go up there Ill ask her what happened .

Edited by morrobay

Might have been it. Maybe the initial reluctance on her part, was that she didn't want to make change for the 1000 Baht bill. Then while he was checking the product she went and made change

huh.png WOW...DOUBLE WOW.

Yet another TV poster that claims they have a Chinese shop keeper. When will they accept that she's really Esarn. rolleyes.gif

If it is the owner it is most probably Chinese, specially doctors or pharmacies are mostly in Chinese hands.

roughly as more education is necessary as more Chinese and less Isaan.

(of course there are always exceptions, just 100 meter from me is a pharmacy owned by upcountry Thai (can't tell if Isaan or North).

Yet another TV poster that claims they have a Chinese shop keeper. When will they accept that she's really Esarn. rolleyes.gif

If it is the owner it is most probably Chinese, specially doctors or pharmacies are mostly in Chinese hands.

(of course there are always exceptions, just 100 meter from me is a pharmacy owned by upcountry Thai (can't tell if Isaan or North).

Well, the OP is talking about Chinatown (Yaowarat ).. My guess is most of the shop owners there are Thai-Chinese.

There may be some truth in what morrobay believes happened . The canny Chinese shopkeeper may have taken sympathy to the slightly derranged westerner munching ginsing out of the bag in her shop doorway . So , after recieving 3000 bhat for the goods she decided to give him some back . Just because it could have happened doesn't mean it would have happened but it should have happened .

Maybe she realised that you would get the same results from cucumber @ 20 Baht per kilo. And felt sorry for you. rolleyes.gif

Well, the OP is talking about Chinatown (Yaowarat ).. My guess is most of the shop owners there are Thai-Chinese.

Not even Thai-Chinese, most of them were born in China.

Woooosh!

• Like 1