Alcohol Obsession By Foreigners In Thailand

robblok

I agree i think everybody drinks more over here,back in england i dont drink as much only at the football,birthdays etc.Mostly to do with because im working most of the time and that has given me a good excuse not to drink.I think drinking is like smoking its habitual and im not sure in other countries but in England everything revolves around drinking.

If you go watch the football with mates you have a drink,rugby,cricket,horse racing is the same.If you bump into a friend you havnt seen for a while you go for a couple of pints(and get home the next morning).Birthdays,christening's,funeral's,stag night,wedding,chritmas,easter,st georges day,bonfire night,house warming party just about any occasion involves drink.

Also a big factor is when the sun is out in the England(which isnt much) everyone goes out for a beer,so us English/Brits associate the sun with beer and then theres boredom,if you have no project,no hobbies and the kids have grown up and flown the nest then you go see your mate down the falang bar and then it becomes habitual like anything else.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's too much time on people's hands combined with the fact that for most, not all, of the people you are referring to all social contact occurs in bars and restaurants, therefore alcohol.

Drinking even if it is just one 330ml bottle of beer becomes a daily habit, 7 days a week for a lot of people. This may not have been the case before they moved to Thailand. It would be interesting to find out.

For me, I estimate that before I came to Thailand I would on average drink some alcohol 2 days a week, now it is 6 days a week.

I don't think one small bottle of beer a day really counts as drinking.

SC

I had to give it up for a week once when I discovered beer wasn't just for breakfast alone..............licklips.gif

How long does a Cricket match last?

5 days if you are lucky!

Well Fred said he drank when he watch sports with mates. No wonder, Cricket fans must lead the world in binge drinking.

Round the world yacht race is always a goody.............................licklips.gif

• Like 1

How long does a Cricket match last?

5 days if you are lucky!

Well Fred said he drank when he watch sports with mates. No wonder, Cricket fans must lead the world in binge drinking.

Round the world yacht race is always a goody.............................licklips.gif

Any kind of boat race

EDIT: Although really, there's only one...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/546261-a-rower-from-the-crowd/page__fromsearch__1

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

folks haveta think about alcoholism and I am a drunk by anyone's definition...half boddle of vodka per day? get outta here, lets talk about 2 boddles and drinking at home...I don't like being around other drunks and I hate bars...and I can't walk half the time so it becomes difficult to go to the market to look at the wimmin fer entertainment...but I stay at home and play with the kids, read and sleep, etc...

gives you a whole new way of lookin' at the world...too bad I'm not Jack Kerouac or a Nobel laureate in literature as then I would have an excuse...

good lord man, your posts irritate me. your affected spelling is especially annoying. i can only imagine what you must be like in person.

Tutsi is the Charles Bukowski of Thai Visa. Both of them were under-appreciated during their lifetimes.

276425_259796180744288_554235640_n.jpg

I thought he was more of the Jeff Lebowski of Thai Visa?

the-dude-with-a-white-russian.jpg

Was he a white Russian also?

When I first moved here I drank lots. I don't drink as mcuh now because it just doesn't do much for me. It's like water and I need at least 5 big bottles to get the same effects. Not worth it unless I drink a big bottle of liquer.

At first i drank for fun and met a girl while drinking. After we separated i drank to forget. Nowadays it doesn't do much for me anymore as well. It has little added value to the things i do in life.

Thanks

Dear robblok,

I'm not obsessed by alc but from the very beginning of my car driving career, I fell in love with drink driving.

Driving under the influence,- I also experimented with other drugs ( honestly LSD was the worst...) - drink driving was/is my destiny. There is nothing comparable to speeding in my BMW over some dark asphalt with some Beethoven or Wagner blaring out of the Stereo.

• Like 1

I drive more calmly after a bunch of beer,

i dont get stressed up by people crossing my lane, -there was no accident so why would i ?

and i don't get aggravated either, -since again there was no accident

• Like 1

Dear robblok,

I'm not obsessed by alc but from the very beginning of my car driving career, I fell in love with drink driving.

Driving under the influence,- I also experimented with other drugs ( honestly LSD was the worst...) - drink driving was/is my destiny. There is nothing comparable to speeding in my BMW over some dark asphalt with some Beethoven or Wagner blaring out of the Stereo.

I don't care if you have a death wish, but please drive only where there is NOBODY else around.

Dear robblok,

I hope your not serious, if you are i totally hate people who drink and drive because they normally dont kill themselves but others with their stupid deeds. I could not care less if you get pissed each and every day and do drugs by the millions. That is your right your body.. but once you endanger others that is where i draw the line.

I done my fair share of alcohol and drugs in the past but never endangered others.

I forgot once i did endanger someone while on drugs. I shot my own brother.

Actually it was their fault, i had popped an xtc tablet to enjoy my evening and a group of my friends and my brother came and dragged me off to a paintball court. So there i was stoned with impaired vision (xtc does that to you that is why you end up with ugly girls good reason not to use it) in a dark room with a gun and my brother in my own team.

The rest is history.. he still reminds me of shooting him to this day.

So no i am no angel, but i cleaned up my act. I still believe everyone should be able to get stoned and drunk when they want as long as they dont endanger any others. Just noticed people drank a lot more here and that the English glorified alcohol more then others.

I don't know about a difference between English and other nationalities, but I have noticed the multiple questions about alcohol coming up here, too. However, I can explain at least part of it- as a working man myself, I value the holidays when they come around- a good time to cut loose and not worry about having to being up and fresh on the dot of the clock the next day. I don't usually go to pubs; I'm usually interested in nightclubs. And if the alcohol ain't there, the nightclubs are mostly gonna close- it doesn't matter how much you plan on drinking (I don't get through that much even in a long night, actually). And it seems that, if it wasn't enough that every other holiday is a Buddhist one which has alcohol banned on principle, there's always an election (for which somehow alcohol must be banned) or some other VIP event (to phrase things loosely) which demands that, once again, alcohol must be banned- and so the nightclubs are closed, and I know I should make other plans.

That's why it matters to me- though I don't need to look here anymore; I just call the places up and see if they'll be open or not.

• Like 1

Since moving here I have found that I drink more and I have started to drink beer again which I never touch back home. I have always enjoyed a glass of red wine at the weekends, but here I am finding I like a cold beer at the end of the day.

I don't drink that much, when I drink beer I will normally just have one or two cans and when it comes to wine normally just the same. However I think its something to do with the warmer weather for me and the fact that I am still adjusting to living in a different country.

I have lived abroad before in China and I did find that I was drinking more there too and I admit sometimes I was drink far too much. This was a result of the cheap booze their and I would say the city I lived in was very boring too. I have never been an alcoholic and I would never let alcohol rule my life, but its true that been abroad makes me drink more.

I forgot once i did endanger someone while on drugs. I shot my own brother.

Actually it was their fault, i had popped an xtc tablet to enjoy my evening and a group of my friends and my brother came and dragged me off to a paintball court. So there i was stoned with impaired vision (xtc does that to you that is why you end up with ugly girls good reason not to use it) in a dark room with a gun and my brother in my own team.

The rest is history.. he still reminds me of shooting him to this day.

So no i am no angel, but i cleaned up my act. I still believe everyone should be able to get stoned and drunk when they want as long as they dont endanger any others. Just noticed people drank a lot more here and that the English glorified alcohol more then others.

I shot a water buffalo when I was stoned listening to "Hey Jude" Beatles. Or "All you need is love." It was one of the two, long time ago. I don't know if it was the songs or the grass. I still feel bad about it. Not real bad but bad.

Some drink out of boredom. No work, no hobbies..... So drinking does help some people get through the day.

? The Day helps me get through my drinking!

It's a tough job but....

....a man's got to do what a man's got to do.

Ill drink to thatdrunk.gif

Never been a bar guy but maybe those that go do so for

reasons like the song................. ;)

All those night when you've got no lights,

The check is in the mail;

And your little angel

Hung the cat up by it's tail;

And your third fiance didn't show;

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,

And they're always glad you came;

You want to be where you can see,

Our troubles are all the same;

You want to be where everybody knows your name.

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/cheerslyrics.html

• Like 1

I drive more calmly after a bunch of beer,

i dont get stressed up by people crossing my lane, -there was no accident so why would i ?

and i don't get aggravated either, -since again there was no accident

Used to be the same.

I drove more calmly after a bunch of beer.

Never got stressed by pedestrians crossing my lane either..

Got me on the no accident bit though.................

I used to be dry, no alcohol at all.

Then at the age of 13, I was taken to church and forced to drink wine (actually inside the church, it was a religous thing). Never did trust them after that!

My conclusion to these events are that the reason a lot of people need religion in their lives is to justify their drinking habits. Can't see much other reason for it...........

Therefore, the British may drink more, but that is only because they are more religious. In other words, in the eyes of many, they are good people and should be encouraged instead of their behaviour frowned upon.

• Like 1

robblok,

I know your pethate...

I'm a firm believer that accidents that happen under the influence would have happened anyway minus the alc ( proof me wrong on this...)

Statistics about drunks causing accidents are just that - statistics. It's not that I drink myself stupid and than drive around, I know my limits very well and they can vary. I don't need some gouvernment or smartarse telling me when to stop drinking.

I used to be dry, no alcohol at all.

Then at the age of 13, I was taken to church and forced to drink wine (actually inside the church, it was a religous thing). Never did trust them after that!

My conclusion to these events are that the reason a lot of people need religion in their lives is to justify their drinking habits. Can't see much other reason for it...........

Therefore, the British may drink more, but that is only because they are more religious. In other words, in the eyes of many, they are good people and should be encouraged instead of their behaviour frowned upon.

I hope you are kiddin.

robblok,

I know your pethate...

I'm a firm believer that accidents that happen under the influence would have happened anyway minus the alc ( proof me wrong on this...)

Statistics about drunks causing accidents are just that - statistics. It's not that I drink myself stupid and than drive around, I know my limits very well and they can vary. I don't need some gouvernment or smartarse telling me when to stop drinking.

I need a government or smartarse to tell you when to stop drinking. I am sure you think you know better than the experts in the field of road safety, but I do not share your confidence in your abilities, and in particular, not in your judgement after drinking.

We need government and smartarses because we are too daft to see how recklessly foolish we are

SC

• Like 1

robblok,

I know your pethate...

I need a government or smartarse to tell you when to stop drinking. I am sure you think you know better than the experts in the field of road safety, but I do not share your confidence in your abilities, and in particular, not in your judgement after drinking.

We need government and smartarses because we are too daft to see how recklessly foolish we are

SC

The guy is either trolling or a complete idiot. I go for the first because nobody can be that stupid.