Tachileik Stop Over ?

davehowden

Doing a visa run shortly to Tachileik, I believe the temporary "passport" issued at the Myanmar entry post allows a stay of ? (I forget).

Has anybody stayed overnight there, any suggestions for hotel etc. ?

Thanks

Dave

Some or perhaps most nationalities can do a one day visit to Tachilek with a photocopy of their main passport page. Be sure to tell them right away at the window on the Thai side that you don't want them to stamp in your passport, otherwise they may do it out of habit.

It cost bt.100 on the Thai side when leaving to cross the bridge. (no cost if getting a regular crossing with getting your passport stamped).

On the Burmese side of the bridge, the cost is Bt.500 or (crisp $10 bill) regardless of which option you pick.

Doing the crossing with a photocopy allows you to dally all day, but not an overnight.

Also, the Thai side will keep your passport, and you simply pick it up when you return before the border closes. Pick it up at the 'departure' (southwest) side of the bridge. Then either walk back to Thailand via the middle of the bridge, or if you have things to declare, go over to the common entry point (to Thailand) and get your things checked in the x-ray machine (though the guards are too bored to bother looking at the monitor screen).

I believe there is a way to do it. Not sure of the procedure. I know we went through to China and the driver did all the paper work. Just ask them at the border what is involved. I had a friend go into a city about a 5 or 6 hour drive on a bus and the bus driver handled all the paper work. I think a little extra money will help you out.

Not sure exactly how long you are allowed to stay, but you can stay at least overnight (maybe up to 7). I've stayed overnight in Tachilek, but there isn't much to do unless you have someone to show you around. Most of the normal town closes up by 9 or 10pm, unless you have someone to take you around. BTW, I think you have to check in to you hotel before 6pm too.

According to the green color card, you can stay up to 14 days at tachilek. But seriously TCL is just like Maesai, nothing much to do there. You can stay at some of the hotels which is approved to let foreigner stay.

@Maidu Where did you get your information from? There is no Bt.100 fee on the Thai side.

I did this just last week with no problems. I went through Thai immigration as normal, paid my Bt.500 to the Myanmar immigration and just informed them I would be spending the night. They still keep your passport, but the card they give you is good for 15 days. There were no problems crossing back into Thailand the next morning. Like others have said, there is nothing to do there, I just sat in my guesthouse and read. Expect to pay more for much lower quality rooms than in Thailand though. I would not recommend staying the night unless you need more days on your visa or something.

• 8 months later...

@Maidu Where did you get your information from? There is no Bt.100 fee on the Thai side.

I did this just last week with no problems. I went through Thai immigration as normal, paid my Bt.500 to the Myanmar immigration and just informed them I would be spending the night. They still keep your passport, but the card they give you is good for 15 days. There were no problems crossing back into Thailand the next morning. Like others have said, there is nothing to do there, I just sat in my guesthouse and read. Expect to pay more for much lower quality rooms than in Thailand though. I would not recommend staying the night unless you need more days on your visa or something.

This may be so since Myanmar is much less developed than Thailand so you can't expect much, but I think foreigners should consider staying overnight in places like Tachileik just for the experience...I wish I could stay overnight in Myawaddy even though the 2 or 3 hotels in town look pretty sh*t but nevertheless, it's an experience thing.