Prices Of Cars After The Flood

Good day.

I am going to buy a car here in Thailand. I would like to know your opinion of prices of cars in Thailand after the last flood. How do you think prices of cars have been risen? I mean new and used cars. Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

Since the government approved an excise tax-cut for first-time buyers, the price of new cars under 1,500cc or double-cab pickups under THB1million has never been lower for Thai consumers. Waiting times vary enormously between brands and models; some of this is flood-related.

Used-cars are just as over-priced now as they were when I first visited Thailand in 2005, in my opinion the flood has had little effect on that market.

Of much greater effect than the flood has been the introduction of 'eco-cars' in mid 2010 - that's really altered the car market; Nissan March are ubiquitous and consumers are comparing, say, a new Honda Brio with an over-priced second-hand Jazz. Most second-hand cars you now see for sale were bought when consumers never had these options.

Hi there,

Since the government approved an excise tax-cut for first-time buyers, the price of new cars under 1,500cc or double-cab pickups under THB1million has never been lower for Thai consumers. Waiting times vary enormously between brands and models; some of this is flood-related.

Used-cars are just as over-priced now as they were when I first visited Thailand in 2005, in my opinion the flood has had little effect on that market.

Of much greater effect than the flood has been the introduction of 'eco-cars' in mid 2010 - that's really altered the car market; Nissan March are ubiquitous and consumers are comparing, say, a new Honda Brio with an over-priced second-hand Jazz. Most second-hand cars you now see for sale were bought when consumers never had these options.

I want to see the OP respond to that.....

Sorry, but I wouldn't touch a used car here in Thailand after seeing so many that were submerged during the flood

I have noticed, here in Pattaya, a major increase in used car lots along Sukumvit, coincidence, I think NOT

The number of cars on taladrod.com has risen over 3000 since October (12000 --> 15000). Some of that will be customers simp wanting a new ride but I'd say a significant number are flood damaged.

I tool a quick look at the ecocars at the show - I still think a lower spec ranger / bt50 would be much better 'bang for your baht' For 300K more that a suzuki swift you can get a top spec bt50 (or close to it).

• 2 weeks later...

If the OP is still interested, there's an interesting piece in the Bangkok Post 'Used-car prices skid on eco-car launches' which might be helpful. I know we can't quote here but the article confirms my suspicions that the introduction of eco-cars has proven to be a real game changer.

The post quotes the opinions of the Managing Director of Union Auction that used car prices will decline in April as factories re-start production and more eco-cars are released. He said the auction prices of passenger cars had fallen 1.7% in March from February. Of course, the MD could just be drumming up business for his auction houses!