House Registration And Extention

Hi

I meet all the requirements to apply for an extension of stay based on marriage exept for one. Our landlady doesn't want to put my wife's name on the house registration of the place where we stay. We have looked around for something else but everytime we found something interesting we have the same problem. We are also looking to buy a property but it might take a while. Can I apply for an extention of stay showing my rental contract even if my wife is listed resident somewhere else? Is it only me or is it a common problem in Thailand?

Immigration are only interested in where YOU stay, and the rental contract should be fine providing you are named on it.

There is no need for the wife to be on the house registration (Tabian Baan), although the wife may require a copy of her Tabian Baan (where she is registered as living).

No doubt some more posters will come along shortly, with more experiences..

Just to clarify:- My Mrs is on Tabian Baan from up country and we stay in Pattaya.. and All I showed Immigration was the rental contract in my name.

Edit: I applied for 1 year extension on marriage last August

Edited by Satcommlee

correct me if i am wrong fellow visamembers but......

according to me she, the landlady is legaly bounded to get you a lawful houseregistration...that is if.

1. your married according to Thai law.

2.If she(the landlady) is the real owner of the property you rent., and not a middlewomen.

anyway........if aplly for extension it would be interresting to hear what she has to say to the immigration officers, because if you mentioned this to them,or show the rental contract, they will order her to show up and explain.

Yes you can, I used a copy of the rental contract for a few years to cover both me and the wife without any problem.

Dont forget to include a little map showing where it is you are living with the application papers.

Edited by CharlieH

You just save the extra paperwork if home register is the same as living address but a rent contract should be fine to allow extension of stay at the office serving that area. She will still require a copy of her home register however.

Landlords are notoriously reluctant to add tenants (Thai or foreign) to the tabien baan, particularly if they are being less than completely forthright with the Revenue Department over the amount of rental income received. A rental contract in your name should be sufficient at most Immigration offices.