Top Ten Proofs You Have Been Acculturated In Thailand

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When, even in your relative wealth, out of principle, you avoid purchasing anything important in Thailand as the price performance is among the worst in the world (due in no small part to the monkeys in the customs department). So, you instead start querying your travelling friends and family to carry ordered items back into Thailand for you in their luggage.

Indeed, my mum brought 6 cans of deodorant for me, amongst other random things, including a bike pump, cadburys choc buttons, a xena bike lock etc etc, with her from the UK last month... smile.png

I asked a friend of mine what he wanted brining back and the answer was 15 cans of princesses peppered mackerel fillets! i wont be buying him that many - no no no, i am sure the shop I am going to will only have 5 max!

When you use a toilet tissue to wipe your plates and cutlery before eating at the restaurant, but you don't mind that there are no serving spoons, because all the Thais with you are licking their cutlery clean before serving themselves. :rolleyes:

When you don't spend 5000 baht getting a car seat that could save your child's life, but you happily spend 25000 baht on an iPhone.

So, so true......

Also,

When you look left, right and up and down before crossing a road.

Or when you stop looking altogether.

When you think it's normal to call up 10 of your friends so you can all go shopping together for milk, bread and other necessities because shopping alone is just not 'sanuk'.

Thanks for the laughs. They are mostly all true... and that is what makes good humour.jap.gifwai.gif

I've been back in Canada for a week and I'm still saying Krap pun cup when someone gives me something.

i would reckon you are more likely to be understood in Canada with that turn of phrase.

When you put your shopping on the counter in 7-11 whilst someone else is being served

Sure, if it's not going to interfere with their purchase and helps move the queue along, why not?

When you see a naked toddler in a shop having his penis tickled by complete strangers and laugh along with everyone else.

I once saw a man pick up his toddler nephew and suck his genitalia into his mouth. I don't care how much I learn about Thai culture, this will never be acceptable to me.

Yes, that was a difficult one for me too, both male and female elder relatives, including his mother, did this with my son in his first six months. I found ways to let them know that wasn't in line with farang culture and they stopped doing it, at least in front of me. I don't **think** it's sexual, but I never did get a comprehensible explanation for the custom, I think somewhat in line with the Greeks spitting on babies as protection from the evil eye. I'd love to find out more if anyone knows. . .

When you genuinely start to believe that any woman you encounter, whether a bank officier, hotel front desk staff or university professor can be purchased for some amount of cash that you have. And when you entertain how to approach her with your offer.

Actually this is a newbie's mistake. It is entirely possible, but we long-termers know you have to strike up a bit of a conversation and find a discreet way to let her know you're interested without implying it's straight p2p.

Tip - a good sign is when you notice them slipping off their wedding ring before batting their lashes at you.

Plus it'll most likely cost more than what you've got in your pocket, and most don't like hanging out with you at the ATM afterwards, so again, discretion is the key.

When you realize that there is validity to the point of view that calling someone serious - eg "He's a very serious, hard-working young man" is actually not a compliment.

"Gee that's too bad, let's introduce him to Nong Puu, maybe she could help him lighten up"

• Like 1

removing your shoes and leaving them outside the door. I did this when I went back home to visit my parents, they found it hilarious. The weird thing for me was I couldn't remember them ever walking around the house in their shoes before. Maybe they were just teasing me!

removing your shoes and leaving them outside the door. I did this when I went back home to visit my parents, they found it hilarious. The weird thing for me was I couldn't remember them ever walking around the house in their shoes before. Maybe they were just teasing me!

To be honest I do find it unhygienic to wear shoes in the house now.

If you have tiled floors it is dirty to wear shoes in the house.

If you have carpeted floors it is dirty not to wear shoes on your feet.

If you have tiled floors it is dirty to wear shoes in the house.

If you have carpeted floors it is dirty not to wear shoes on your feet.

Unless you have socks on...

Not least because Bangkok streets are absolutely the most disgusting to walk on of any country I've been too (save for the any Chinese city). In more sanitized cities like Tokyo, NYC and Paris, where taxes are collected and where people are cleaner and where you're not stepping in dead fish and rotting liquified meat juices all day, it's much less of a problem.

Not least because Bangkok streets are absolutely the most disgusting to walk on of any country I've been too (save for the any Chinese city). In more sanitized cities like Tokyo, NYC and Paris, where taxes are collected and where people are cleaner and where you're not stepping in dead fish and rotting liquified meat juices all day, it's much less of a problem.

Even so, I still dont want people bringing in the remains of dog turds, homeless people's phlegm and 3 year old chewing gum into the place my children play.

• Like 1

10) you leave the table at MK in a total mess, having the feeling you just ate in a "fancy, hi-so" restaurant!

9) you stop dead at the end of an escalator, to do your life planning.

8) you think "Zombie" by the Cranberries is actually a song, thai girls should actually dance "sexy" to, no matter if in a GoGo Bar or at a look tung show.

7) you actually believe that EPL is the only football ever worth watching.

6) Whitening cream? Of course!

5) Thai soap operas are classy evening entertainment!

4) you do not laugh ones, in a movie that has now "boing" or "hui"- noises, features no fat gut in womens- clothes or has no one be psychically harmed for fun.

3) you believe in ghosts and make your "lifeplanning" with the help of fortune tellers, amulets or monks!

2) a "good whiskey" is Benmore- an "excellent whiskey" is "led".

1) you forgot things like "i am sorry" or" it was my mistake"

When you move away from your table at the restaurant to receive a phone call so as not to disturb your friends with your loud, unnecessary and boring conversation, but dont mind that you're actually standing next to another table disturbing complete strangers . :rolleyes:

• Like 2