Win7 Ultimate - Language Problem

UbonOz

I am attempting to get rid of all Thai language on my laptop.

I have changed everything I can find that relates to Thai. I have changed the Region back to UK to see if it works. Have changed Format, changed everything. The only thing left that relates to the region is the time zone.

I have just tried to download iTunes and the pop-up(see picture) is just a jumble. Sorry it is sideways.

Anybody understand what is going wrong?

Thank you for any help.

post-150060-0-09618000-1333988096_thumb.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CanonBJ\IJPrinter\CNMWINDOWS\Canon MP280 series Printer\LanguageModules

In this directory there are lots of directories with names like "0409" "041E". These are the language codes for the languages supported by your Canon printer. You can delete all the directories in there EXCEPT those two. 0409 is the English language and 041E is the Thai language. The names of the 3 .dll files in each directory is the same, so the calling program doesn't have to be different per language. My Canon printer came up in Thai so I copied the three .dll files from directory 0409, the English language one, into 041E diectory, the Thai language one. I had already renamed the existing ones in 041E just in case it didn't work. But it did. My printer still thinks it's calling the Thai language routines, but it's actually calling the English language ones.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CanonBJ\IJPrinter\CNMWINDOWS\Canon MP280 series Printer\LanguageModules

In this directory there are lots of directories with names like "0409" "041E". These are the language codes for the languages supported by your Canon printer. You can delete all the directories in there EXCEPT those two. 0409 is the English language and 041E is the Thai language. The names of the 3 .dll files in each directory is the same, so the calling program doesn't have to be different per language. My Canon printer came up in Thai so I copied the three .dll files from directory 0409, the English language one, into 041E diectory, the Thai language one. I had already renamed the existing ones in 041E just in case it didn't work. But it did. My printer still thinks it's calling the Thai language routines, but it's actually calling the English language ones.

I don't have that directory. I am hunting now to see if I can find.

The directory might be hidden. There's a setting to display ALL directories & files. Windows has this "feature" to keep users from accidentally deleting important files.

As for the language thing, the screen shots you showed are not "on" your computer, per se... They are websites presenting what they think is your preferred language. It's especially garbled because you've removed the Thai alphabet from your computer. Anyway, your issue is with the website, not the computer.

I can think of 2 solutions... For websites that try to force regional Thai settings on you, search around that website to see if you can find country settings. I'm in Japan & have the same problem with websites (even google) trying to present itself in Japanese. Usually, I can look around that page & either set the language to English or the location to United States. Some websites will remember this setting each time you visit; others won't.

You've complicated the problem by removing the Thai alphabet. Some of these website settings are in Thai, but you can't recognize it now that the Thai words are garbled. You might want to reinstall Thai language on your computer; it shouldn't hurt anything.

There is another solution which is to install IP spoofing software which makes it appear as though you are in another country (UK, US, whatever your preference.) The website will detect that and display the local regional language for your country of choice. There are free & paid versions of such software; google around & find one you like or ask for recommendations.

LOL... deleting 'all Thai language'. Why?

As pointed out from your own findings with iTunes, it auto-detected you IP address in Thailand but since you have purged your machine of all things Thai, it came up with crap.

After all that farting about, there will still be non-Thai web sites that will auto detect the ip address and 'Voila!' a whole screen full of Thai gobbledygook pops up.

BTW, unless you have a Canon printer installed, you won't find the directory that lungbing is talking about either.

As said it seems that you are concerned with IP address issues rather than the ability of your computer to render Thai and other languages so it would be best to restore Thai in computer and lean how to access the web sites you need in English. Most will have an option to switch somewhere and likely will explain if you ask them if it is not apparent. Other times a Thai can find the switch in Thai only. In most cases once switched a cookie will remember setting if you do not erase them.

It's happening because you need to change the application display language and system locale setting, if you havn't already tried this:

Start menu > Control Panel>Region and Languages > Keyboard and languages tab > Under display language click the install/uninstall languages button

Make sure the Thai is uninstalled and the correct english version installed.

After that go to the Administrative tab in the Region and languages box

> Click Change System Locale under the "language for non-unicode programs" section > Change language to English.

thats it hope it works

It's happening because you need to change the application display language and system locale setting, if you havn't already tried this:

Start menu > Control Panel>Region and Languages > Keyboard and languages tab > Under display language click the install/uninstall languages button

Make sure the Thai is uninstalled and the correct english version installed.

After that go to the Administrative tab in the Region and languages box

> Click Change System Locale under the "language for non-unicode programs" section > Change language to English.

thats it hope it works

This is the location that was in English and I have changed back to Thai.

The last two photos, Post 15, is the difference since I changed back to Thai.

Silly question but did you delete the Thai language pack from Windows itself? To resolve the issue (and restore Thai) you may need to download the Thai MUI but it is only available with Windows 7 Ultimate.

My goodness...what an interesting thread. :)

Actually it seems as if the program is giving you a choice of the language to install.

The problem is likely your Unicode settings. Not so much to do with having the Thai language pack or your IP address.

Look here.

Set them to UK or US....or similar.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

My goodness...what an interesting thread. :)

Actually it seems as if the program is giving you a choice of the language to install.

The problem is likely your Unicode settings. Not so much to do with having the Thai language pack or your IP address.

Look here.

Set them to UK or US....or similar.

If the Unicode setting is English you get all the garbled pop-ups as shown in first photos.

Change it back to Thai and you get Thai language as shown in last photos.

I want English pop-ups, does not look as if it can be changed.

Somebody, somewhere will hopefully come up with the solution.

I am no genius when it comes to the technical bits.

The thing is I am not searching to download from Thai sites, only English sites.

Two things have happened to my laptop in the past week.

I have had Win7 Ultimate reinstalled and I have bought a new Canon printer.

The printer was a challenge, the shop's Thai guy loaded the software, it was in Thai and he said could not change to English, I knew this was not correct.

Anyway, took printer home and I changed it to English.

The software loads buttons to the desktop where you can activate the printer without getting up to push buttons on the actual printer.

It was in Thai, I could not change to English. Sent an email to Canon, they replied quickly, still did not work. Eventually Canon sent a link to change the set up, all printer language is now English.

The solution is a clean install with unmodified Windows 7 media. The problem is that we don't know what has been installed and what settings have been modified....and what method was chosen for activation.

Make and model of your machine?

There is no reason to set the locale to Thailand. Set it to UK or US and change the clock manually if necessary.

Which time zone do I use for the clock?

Also, have not asked before, what does everbody else's download pop-ups come up with, English or Thai? What settings does everbody else have?

There is no reason to set the locale to Thailand. Set it to UK or US and change the clock manually if necessary.

Also, have not asked before, what does everbody else's download pop-ups come up with, English or Thai? What settings does everbody else have?

Bangkok, Thailand +7

I am in Thailand, but have everything set to English. Everything is installed and displayed in English.

Ok, Windows 7 user in Thailand, my regional settings are English UK and mt time zone is Thailand.

Pop ups?? Why worry about the language - block the fekkers. End of......

Bangkok, Thailand +7

I am in Thailand, but have everything set to English. Everything is installed and displayed in English.

OK, thanks for the help.

Will check it out when I get back to my laptop.

I do wonder though if it is something to do with the Win7 reinstall, a setting somewhere.