Toyota Thailand Ripping People Off!?

Who ever is in charge of pricing Toyota cars in Thailand is Ripping off the buyers!

Our last new car was a 2010 Honda, the top model was only an extra 50k baht, BUT for that we got dual Air bags, steering wheel remote controls for music, larger nicer alloy wheels, electric fold in wind mirrors with turn lamp indicators, comfortable centre arm rest, boot spoiler and skirts. it was Really good value to the buyer, if you tried to up-spec those things onto a lower model it would cost over 120.000

We Now want to order a new Toyota Camry as we now have a family.

The pricing is NOT FAIR at all to the buyer. we want the 2.5 Hybrid, but it costs an extra 220.000 THB for the top model just to get a 4 extras:

(A/C can be controlled by passengers in the back, Air fans in the front seats, DVD, GPS)

Toyota!!??? are you serious??? 220.000 just for these 4 things???

They also charge 50.000 extra for a CAMRY with a DVD player! YES 50.000 baht for a DVD player!!!! are you serious Toyota??

They want 60.000 to put GPS in as an Extra!??? ( 110.000 just for a dvd player and Sat Nav as extras)

So it looks like I have to buy the cheaper camry without GPS, DVD in this case to avoid getting RIPPED OFF, even though we really wanted those things, especially when spending 1.65 million B

The 2.5 Camry Hybrid V is 1.649.000 with No GPS, No DVD

The 2.5 Camry Hybrid with GPS, DVD, A/C and Audio control in the back = 1.869.000

Come on Toyota Thailand! For 1.649.000 GPS and DVD should be standard! Stop ripping people off. The top model is Terrible Value for money.

Wake up Toyota Thailand we are not stupid!

My first reaction was "OH another farang compaling about the price of cars in Thailand"

Car "options" are something like 4-500% marked up. So the DVD player costs Toyota 10,000 baht. It's the same for all manufacturers or dealers and it's been that was for decades. In the good old days we used to complain about a $50 radio that was listed as a $250 option.

Hey it's your money but why waste money on a Hydrid? Why lug all those batteries around everywhere. Are you George Clooney? (Oh sorry that is Prius.) They have "seen-you-coming"

Have a look at a Skoda Superb?

A Thai friend asked toyota repeatedly how much the batteries cost - no reply from toyota. He ended up buying a a nissan teana and is very happy with it. Gets even better mileage than my civc 2.0 !! In this price bracket there is a lot to choose from, so don't restrict yourself just to toyota.

To the OP I have a 2011 hybrid. With all the fruit . Have to say I don't think the gps is much good in using . I much prefer my old garmin nuvi . As for the hybrid economy , well you have to drive like a saint to keep that meter in the Eco zone . I am. Not a saint . Quite a heavy car and feel its underpowered . All that aside it is. Very comfortable inside . If users to buy another Camry , I would go for one not hybrid and no gps . DVD etc or stereo I would pay for . Hope that helps you . It is only my opinion though and we all have one . Cheers .

I'd buy a Honda Accord? Are both models Hybrids?

I've said this before. I think Toyota hang onto their designs way too long. They've certainly got a knack for milking a model. Vigo, Fortuner, Yaris and Camry. All are old technology and out dated. Yes, there have been upgrades. But essentially they are the same car. They've even run out of ideas for making Vigo and Fortuner look attractive. The last upgrade was a couple of steps backward as far as looks are concerned.

Toyota are a global powerhouse and have achieved remarkable success. But in my humble opinion their lustre is beginning to tarnish.

• Like 2

Am I missing something? OP ends with "Wake up Toyota Thailand we are not stupid!" and then proceeds to BUY precisely a Toyota product. Perhaps Toyota will wake up AFTER customers like the OP wise up to the fact that there are alternatives to a Toyota Camry. I did not realise the power of Toyota's branding is so strong!

Edited by doggie888888

Am I missing something? OP ends with "Wake up Toyota Thailand we are not stupid!" and then proceeds to BUY precisely a Toyota product. Perhaps Toyota will wake up AFTER customers like the OP wise up to the fact that there are alternatives to a Toyota Camry. I did not realise the power of Toyota's branding is so strong!

It could be that he's not actually making the decision 100% himself so if his (Thai?) wife has any say then she may be like most Thai people and think that Toyota is the best, it is almost as though they have been brainwashed!

It could be that he's not actually making the decision 100% himself so if his (Thai?) wife has any say then she may be like most Thai people and think that Toyota is the best, it is almost as though they have been brainwashed!

It's interesting. As walk around my village I see a whole variety of vehicles parked in drive ways (homes here are in the 3-6M range, so not too expensive by any means). Yes there are toyota's but they certainly don't dominate. There are at least and many hondas and most other brands, along the the odd mercedes and a number of pickup trucks. Who is buying all the toyotas? Over the next 5-10 years the competition will catch up with toyota unless they really improve their product. People are wising up and seeing that there are many more viable choices in the market today.

You will be stupid if you buy something you do not want.....Toyota is not the only cars available in thailand.

Very true, but to many Thai people, Toyotas seem to be the only brand many are even willing to consider. My wife recently bought a Ford Fiesta. Her father took one look at it and said "why didn't you buy a Toyota?" I think this attitude contributes a lot to Toyota's pricing model in Thailand, and perhaps their slowness in introducing modern design changes.

Toyota maybe number one in overall sales here in Thailand. But remove the Altis (Taxi) and Vigo. Then see where they stand. There are a lot of Honda Civics, Citys and Jazz on the road. And an awful lot of Izuzu pickups.

I am a bit of a Honda man, but think Ford and Mazda are building better cars (maybe not looks).

I'd like to see the Koreans with a wider reach. They are certainly producing some good vehicles and giving the Japanese a run for their money on the USA.

Toyota maybe number one in overall sales here in Thailand. But remove the Altis (Taxi) and Vigo. Then see where they stand. There are a lot of Honda Civics, Citys and Jazz on the road. And an awful lot of Izuzu pickups.

I am a bit of a Honda man, but think Ford and Mazda are building better cars (maybe not looks).

I'd like to see the Koreans with a wider reach. They are certainly producing some good vehicles and giving the Japanese a run for their money on the USA.

Isn't Toyota the biggest motor manufacturer in the World ?

T/A happyaussie was talking about manufactureres producing good vehicles not their sizetongue.png

I have now found out what the extras are that cost 220.000 baht, Some people may say that the deal is not so bad after all..

Shame that the sales lady did not know the differences in the first place, I had to go searching to get this info.

Top model has the following extras for 220.000

1: GPS Navigation / DVD

2: Rear view Camera

3: ( 3 Zone A/C ) control A/C in rear also

4: His and Her door remote entry which control seat, steering & mirror memory

6: JBL Audio (10 speakers)

7: Rear Seats (Power Adjustable)

8: Power adjustable Steering column (with memory)

9: Rear arm rest controls for Audio & rear A/C zone

I've said this before. I think Toyota hang onto their designs way too long. They've certainly got a knack for milking a model. Vigo, Fortuner, Yaris and Camry. All are old technology and out dated. Yes, there have been upgrades. But essentially they are the same car. They've even run out of ideas for making Vigo and Fortuner look attractive. The last upgrade was a couple of steps backward as far as looks are concerned.

Toyota are a global powerhouse and have achieved remarkable success. But in my humble opinion their lustre is beginning to tarnish.

There are NO Accords available! HONDA dealers are trying to sell grey imports @ +150k baht while they wait for Honda to get back into supply, if you order now they cant give you a delivery date. The first thing that the sales girls told us within 20 seconds of arriving "Mister NO have any accord you want buy import?"

The accord is cheaper than the camry but they are not the same quality

Isn't that VW? Or maybe it is soon to be? Or simply their aim?

There are NO Accords available!

I was at a Honda dealer yesterday looking at their perimeter security and they had a white Accord in the showroom. It wasn't there last week.

Do you have any more details on the 2.1mil Benz?

Edited by VocalNeal

There are NO Accords available! HONDA dealers are trying to sell grey imports @ +150k baht while they wait for Honda to get back into supply, if you order now they cant give you a delivery date. The first thing that the sales girls told us within 20 seconds of arriving "Mister NO have any accord you want buy import?"

Thats true - Toyota has fallen far behind Honda in quality matters.................

They are not grey imports built by Honda in Japan imported by Honda Thailand with Thai Government approval, again poor sales explanation.

Thats true - Toyota has fallen far behind Honda in quality matters.................

More importantly, the new Camry is ugly and looks like it belongs in the 70's .

• 2 weeks later...