I Don'T Know Where To Live! Opinions Please.

mjj

OK, me, I'm a person that needs to have a direction, even if that direction changes frequently. And at the moment I don't know where to live.

I currently live in Trang, but next year I want to move away for reasons like schoolling for my 3 year old and houses are too expensive here.

I've thought about looking at Chiang Mai, but the smoke thing just seems too big an issue to ignore. Then I thought of Surat Thani, but I can't find out much info about it. For opinions of people in Trang they say it is more expensive than here but has better schools.

Bangkok - not for me.

Pattaya - ditto.

Phuket - ditto.

My criteria are:

Too be able to buy a nice western type of house for about 2.5m. 3 bed, garden. CM fits this bill.

Good schools and Uni for my son - he's only 3 but I like to plan ahead, lol.

Nightlife is not important as I'm very dull.

I need to work as a teacher.

Not too busy. Trang is fine for this.

OK I'm ready for your suggestions.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm not that dull. Just trying to point out bars are of no importance. Any more suggestions?

Is Chang Mai as bad as it sounds pollution wise?

Anyone else live in the south?

I was about to move to CM recently (job offer fell through) and was up at the peak of the smog.

It looked bad visually, but I didn't notice any physical issues, unless you or a member of your family has known respiratory problems I'd say don't rule CM out just on that basis. And it's only for a month or two. . .

I can't believe the health consequences are any worse than living in any major metro area.

Maybe post in the Isaan forum and ask about Khon Kaen.

I live about 25Km outside of Khon Kaen city, so don't have that much experience of the city life.

Plenty of housing on the outskirts and is a major university city.

What about Petchaburi, about 50 kms north of Hua Hin. A nice typical Thai town, with a very small expatpopulation. Without beeing sure I think realestate prices are within your range. Some bilingual schools. I live in Hua Hin and whenever I need a reminder of that I actually live in Thailand, I go to Petchaburi for a meal and just walk the streets for a couple of hours. Traffic in town is not to bad, and it easy to get to Bkk/Hua Hin.

• Like 1

I am in Nakhon Sawan, not too much of a night scene. 2nd largest Chinese business community in the land, several universities. Can get a nice house with garden for 2.5 m. 240 km Bangkok, 450 to CM you need to have a look to see if it suits, some parts flooded last year. Not expensive to live here and some excellent places to eat.

Hi, I know you don't want Bangkok, but I'd recommend south Bangkok, there are many areas, such as the Rama 9 park where you could easily forget you are even in the capital, really quite suburban 'family' areas, interconnected of course by busy, polluted roads like Sukumvit and Srinakarin. Qualified teachers can get well remunerated positions at International schools (St. Andrews, Patana) with free places for their children, housing allowances/free accommodation and pension contributions. You could buy the house wherever you wanted to settle, CM, Trang etc and just fly back for the weekends and holidays.

Pitsanulok for sure.Good universities. Most restaurants per capita in Thailand. Affordable. Lots of teaching jobs.Has tesco,Big C and central department stores.4 hours from Bangkok, by bus.. Good hospitals. Many housing projects on the go can get good house for reasonable price. Very central located can get anywhere in thailand easy from there. If I missed anything let me know.

• Like 1

Try Kan then. Housing is cheap as well as eating out. 1 Uni and some schools for your little one. However jobs are few and far between.

On the bright side, no smog and next door to Bangkok.

Hope you find your place to live. wai.gif

Win from Kanchanaburi thumbsup.gif

How about Rayong? Some good schools out there, not to sure about house prices but it's a pretty cool city but it does have some pollution and I'd also say Korat as it's a pretty big city that's easy to get around and it's near some amazing areas of natural beauty like Khao Yai, both of those cities are 2-3 hours from Bangkok and have loads of schools to find work in.

Hi I am in the same boat ,considering moving from bkk ,I'm right now in ChiangMai looking at houses there are plenty of new housing projects and you would easily find a 3bedroom. Place on the out skirts ,most the housing seems to be on the outside of the city 5 to 10 ks out some of the other options with regards to a good second hand one in a established project as you can see how the site has degraded over the years

I'm personally looking for a very large house ,but I am somewhat enticed by the security offered in the housing projects

There are some excellent schools some of the best in the country as I too have kids and it's a massive concern the quality of the education they receive ,Chiang Mai seems to tick all the boxes

Buying a house in this part of the country is cheap but I don't think it will stay like that for ever ,the current minimum wage helps to keep building costs low ,that's gonna change ,also I believe there has been a land purchase by the paragon people to build a similar style shopping complex in the next few years ,so it. Kinda looks like a place that will explode in the next few years might be smart to purchase now !

That said I still can't make my mind up

The smog is another concern I haven't seen it or been here while it's been about ,plus nobody I have spoken to seemed to think it was such a big deal ,my only concern is leaving Bangkok a city I love to somewhere I'm not sure of ,

Smog in Chiang Mai is from the middle of Feb to the end of March which coincides with Thai school holidays so if your kid goes to a Thai school you can take a 6 week holiday somewhere else.

If you want an international school, the holidays won't match.

For me the reason to buy and not rent is to settle. Previously I rented and lovely 3 bed house, it was unfurnished so I bought all the furniture and gave it a stylish look. I rented it on the proviso that It was very long term and after 9 months the owner wanted it back.

Now I have to live in a shit house where the furniture doesnt match the style of house. This means I want to moved again, which it turn means all the furniture get more and more flucked, which pisses me off.

Also, now as I have a family I think its important to create a more secure and stable environment. Also, I can feel happy to decorate or renovate, without pouring money into someone elses pocket.

But, I do understand why many people think it is favourable to rent. The freedom and financial aspects are certainly alluring and if I didnt have a family it is what I would do.

• Like 1

dont buy a house, rent. then if you ever want to move before you die which you will you will be able to. seems an obsession of farang ot want to own a home in thailand. why?

Why not.?

Think most folk like to own their own four walls, security, and the loved ones will always have a roof and not worry about finding rent in the event of a loss..

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Too be able to buy a nice western type of house for about 2.5m. 3 bed, garden.

So I guess you've decided to rent?

For a while, although I have seen some houses around that price. Sure not as good as houses in Chiangmai, but very liveable.