backstairs

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

steve, i dont think that video is really current

theres been lots of false vids posted, claiming to be taking place today. when you go look at the source, there is no information, and no comments allowed. usually a sign that these are not genuine

I think everyone is panicking about nothing

The ocean floor moved vertically when they had the last tsunami

which displaces a lot of water

this time it shifted horizontally which does not displace a lot of water

The bloke trying to sell the houses next to us claims the are 500M from the beach

I would guess we are about 1000M from the beach front at Rawai and Rawai was

not flooded last time

The closed the airport because its just above sea level and one end is at the beach

ok Kamala update; Yes we had a tsunami. very different from my first one in 2004;

Headed down to the beach about 5 pm and the roads leading up to the mtn behind my house were full of tourists heading to higher ground.

got to the beach no one worried but every shop on the beach road ( which was 100% wiped out before) and main road ( which was under 1 feet of water last time ) are shut down

headed up to Cape Sienne which is a resort located on the rocks above Kamala bay. up to about 6 pm normal ( although todays tide was lower than normal) tide than about 6:15 the water went out over 50 meters in the space of 1 minute. 2 minutes later came rushing back in about 75 meters.

than it went out but less and came back in. Figure the tsunami was no more than 1 meter high. They are expecting another series when the 8.2 aftershock hits here.

Both earthquakes our house was shaking!!

The road out of Patong is one way and full of cars heading out of town. 2004 for about two days after the tsunami the road still had people living on the side of the mtn. Closed the airport as well.

Edited by phuketrichard

With respect to you Peter, do you really consider that this recent alert was much ado about nothing. I experienced the 2004 Tsunami. And I can tell you that I was heartened by the public awareness and action today.

Krabi, Trang and Ranong airports are operational and should remain so due to their distance from the coastline. Phuket Airport is closed.

and yes, we are reading reports that the horizontal movement is less likely to cause tsunami

theres lots of info out there...

a lot of the images and videos being posted and reposted on the net are from years ago. thats one of the peril of social media. info spreads so quickly, and nobody bothers to check much about sources and authenticity......

but better the false alarm and be prepared, than no warning and the surprise I suppose...

With respect to you Peter, do you really consider that this recent alert was much ado about nothing. I experienced the 2004 Tsunami. And I can tell you that I was heartened by the public awareness and action today.

i agree with you it is heartening to see the awareness , but the flip side of that is panic from a lack of correct info and education of the Thais and Farangs .... the alert was real and acted upon by the authorites however IMO education is required ... we may well see road accidents , robberies etc etc due to panic ...

About an hour ago I went by motorbike through Soi Bangla towards the beach. Very easy driving as hardly anybody on the street. Went to the waterfront, only a few people there watching the (small) waves. Never ever seen Soi Bangla and other street (even far away from the beach!) so deserted. Even ALL 7/11 shops in Nanai Road (high up the water level) closed. And - of course - no mobile phone possible.

Public awareness is good, but if you took the time to read the reports on TV and elsewhere

and understood what causes tsunami you would understand

When the ocean floor shifts vertically the water drops down to fill the space and then

underwater landslides happen which forces the water back up again and causes tsunamis

The ocean floor shifted horizontally this time

Weather i was here or not last time makes no difference

Public awareness is good, but if you took the time to read the reports on TV and elsewhere

When the ocean floor shifts vertically the water drops down to fill the space and then

underwater landslides happen which forces the water back up again and causes tsunamis

Peter, do you really think that the average Joe or tourist considers that "the ocean floor shifts vertically the water drops down to fill the space and the underwater landslides happen which forces the water back up again and causes tsunamis" when hearing a tsunami alarm .Personally I would head for safe ground first and then think about the science while waiting for the all safe.

Thankfully, the worst that has happened has been an extraordinary 'exercise drill'. Hopefully there will be an analysis of what went well, and what didn't, and rectifications made for the future. One things for sure, there will be an awful lot of anecdotal comments winging there way towards this forum in the coming hours/days.........

Im sitting in my shop in Kata this afternoon, and i start to see hundreds of people running from the beach: and shouts of Tsunami.

How the hell am i supposed to know which way the ocean floor is moving?

I was very impressed and grateful for todays warning and evacuation in Kata.

Peter, do you really think that the average Joe or tourist considers that "the ocean floor shifts vertically the water drops down to fill the space and the underwater landslides happen which forces the water back up again and causes tsunamis" when hearing a tsunami alarm .Personally I would head for safe ground first and then think about the science while waiting for the all safe.

No i don't but i know the news sources sensualize everything, If you took the time to

read the reports on TV etc you would know a tsunami was very unlikely to happen

like last time

We only found out when the Mrs went to the local market and everyone was packing up there stalls

I then watched TV and did not leave the house like other people in the our area

Now the ones that did have all returned, there choice better to be safe than sorry i suppose

Personally i was not worried

No i don't but i know the news sources sensualize everything, If you took the time to

read the reports on TV etc you would know a tsunami was very unlikely to happen

like last time <snip>

Completely agree with you about sensational news reports. That is why I read the USGS official earthquake report for a balanced report. I take media news reports with a large dose of scepticism.

felt it in Koh Keaw area this afternoon. was sitting on the couch and felt...well a little bit sea sick... like the couch was having palpitations. I stood up and didn't feel anything. sat back down and could feel it still happening. I thought it might just be the dog on the couch, but apparently not. Glad it's a good awareness drill.

Personal observation so far. The road leading out of Surin to Cherngtalay is NOT a viable evacuation route. Rush hour in the afternoon is normally bad enough (backed up from the Police station lights to one of the 2 Mosques in Bangtao) but today it was backed up all the way to Wat Bang Tao.

In Kamala Phuket at 8:55 PM this english announcement just came over the village loudspeakers "Attention please, attention please, the situation is back to normal. Please continue to rescue the victims".

I guess the situation is back to normal.

An amazing amount of traffic headed up the Big Buddha hill during the alert.

I grabbed my camera, thinking I may get some good shots from the top of any waves hitting the west coast.

Gave up that idea as soon as I got to the road and saw the traffic. Must have been horrific on the top of the hill trying to park, turn around, etc.

Spent the alert having a few beers at a little shop/bar on the lower slopes.

The traffic jams coming down afterwards were also ridiculous!