Tsunami Warning Issued For Thai Coastal Provinces Following 8.9-Scale Quake In Indonesia

webfact

Safety first, drill seems to be operating normally in general, persons going to higher ground for the time being, better safe than sorry. The good thing about it is that early warnings have operated well, response good. It does sound like it will not be much at all as it was a horizontal Quake rather than a more dangerous vertical that happened the last time.

The next time there is a horrendous tsunami, (hopefully not) this has been a successful drill. Fingers crossed all.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

aonang power cut when storm passed over for the last hour,thank f,,, for thaivisa for keeping us up to date ,back online in aonang now ,,,still rumblings of thunder but hopefully no more powercuts so we can keep up to date here,only about half km from beach but have a mountain behind me if have to evacute the whole familly,,,,,keep up the fantastic work thaivisa

RT @MarcusBurtBKK: Sky news say 4 inch high tsunami has hit the Andaman coast

4 inch? That can't be right.

Sounds about right for first quake. The second more shallow 8.2 quake would seem to be more of a concern tsunami wise.

Indeed, Sky News in the UK saying tsunami from second quake could be up to 3 metres when it reaches Thailand.

Red Cross 5 meter high Tsunami have hit Aceh

http://politiken.dk/...-har-ramt-aceh/

Secretary General of the Danish Red Cross Anders Ladekarl tells politiken.dk that a 5 meter high wave have hit Ache in Indonesia.

"Its information we have received from our international representative in Jakarta who are in contact with the area where the Tsunami have hit" says Anders Ladekarl to politiken.dk

Rest of story just tells about aftershock and panic in the costal areas in Aceh.

Edited by spacemand

Safety first, drill seems to be operating normally in general, persons going to higher ground for the time being, better safe than sorry. The good thing about it is that early warnings have operated well, response good. It does sound like it will not be much at all as it was a horizontal Quake rather than a more dangerous vertical that happened the last time.

The next time there is a horrendous tsunami, (hopefully not) this has been a successful drill. Fingers crossed all.

I was most impressed by how quickly everyone was made aware of the Tsunami risk, Just about 30 minutes and all my neighbours were up to speed. Very impressive. Social media really works.

I was most impressed by how quickly everyone was made aware of the Tsunami risk, Just about 30 minutes and all my neighbours were up to speed. Very impressive. Social media really works.

Yes it's the good side of Internet ! Everything everywhere !

This has got to be good news after the last one.

RT @mpoppel: BREAKING -- Pacific Tsunami Warning Cntr cancels tsunami watch for Australia, Burma, Thailand, Malaysia, Mauritius

BREAKING -- Pacific Tsunami Warning Cntr cancels tsunami watch for Crozet Islands, Bangladesh, Kerguelen Islands, South Africa, Singapore

RT @mpoppel: UPDATE -- Pacific Tsunami Warning Cntr continues tsunami watch for Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, Maldives and British islands

Ahh. good. koh phangan, koh tao and koh samui are safley tucked away on the other side.

Where they should be. :-)

Not so says a leading newspaper. It states that there is a mild chance of a tsunami in songkhla and i am on the same side as you. don't see how this is possible but this is what the thai side is saying.

THE NATION?

As I posted with source earlier, it is ok to be complacent with ETA of waves, but they can vary from 5 mins to an Hour!

If there has been a vertical aftershock, please don't just assume you can go back down from safe heights to resume as normal. It's dark, and you can't see what might come. Please be vigilant, wait it out, and be safe. The old English adage, "Better safe than sorry!"

Safety to all... -mel. Please....

• Like 1

Ahh. good. koh phangan, koh tao and koh samui are safley tucked away on the other side.

Where they should be. :-)

Not so says a leading newspaper. It states that there is a mild chance of a tsunami in songkhla and i am on the same side as you. don't see how this is possible but this is what the thai side is saying.

THE NATION?

Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre has made this warning which includes Songkhla - the same side as you. I wouldn't worry about it. Appears to be nonsense Edited by heiwa

I'm in communication (facebook) with a friend of mine in Pulau Batee, a small beautiful island close to Banda Aceh. He's online and says

'we are safe until now ... indeed there was a slight panic,,, but now starting to return to normal... thank a lot antonio giudici .. thank you..'

I just heard an interview with an expert from USGS he said that they didn't know the exact nature of the second earthquake as it had not been possible to get accurate readings due to the vibrations from the first quake but it's possible that the second quake could be a vertical shift.

I would be very cautious if I were anywhere near the andaman coast better safe than sorry

I'm bringing the following post up front again:

Off topic posts deleted,

one more time- perhaps you will notice this one

This thread is for INFORMATION AND NEWS ONLY - take your soapbox, your jokes and your troll posts and keep them to yourselves. Nobody wants to read them. If you are posting critical information cite a source and post a link.

• Like 1

RT @MarcusBurtBKK: Sky news say 4 inch high tsunami has hit the Andaman coast

4 inch? That can't be right.

Sounds about right for first quake. The second more shallow 8.2 quake would seem to be more of a concern tsunami wise.

Indeed, Sky News in the UK saying tsunami from second quake could be up to 3 metres when it reaches Thailand.

I'd rather not rely on Sky news for information but at least they are talking about the possibility.During the after shake my hotel in Phuket town was wobbling for at least 2 minutes so it should be taken seriously / with caution.A friend of mine is helping to evacuate tourists from Patong area , says the mood is calmer now but everyone is still on guard in case