Khao San Road Songkran Kicks Off In Bangkok

webfact

Khao San Road Songkran Kicks Off

BANGKOK: -- Songkran celebration on Khao San Road will be officially launched this evening.

Many activities will be organized during the celebration, including a Miss Songkran beauty pageant, traditional Thai dancing, and other Thai cultural performances.

Water fights, however, will start tomorrow.

It is predicted that more than 30 million baht will be spent at Khao San Road alone.

President of the Khao San Business Owners Association Piyaboot Jewramonaikul revealed that Her Royal Highness Princess Soamsawali will preside over the grand opening of Khao San Road's Songkran Festival at 6.30 P.M. this evening.

The highlight of the event is the international Miss Songkran beauty pageant. Traditional Thai dances and other Thai cultural performances will be featured to entertain tourists.

The fun water-splashing activities will begin tomorrow and continue until this Sunday. Each day's festivities will begin in the morning and end at 10 P.M. each night.

Piyaboot went on to say that the Songkran celebration will help to regain tourist confidence affected by yesterday's earthquake in the Andaman Ocean.

All 700 rooms on Khao San Road are fully booked.

It is estimated that over 30 million baht will be spent at Khao San Road alone and the spending in other areas may generate up to 100 million baht.

The area around Khao San Road is able to accommodate nearly 30,000 tourists.

Piyaboot added that there are 300 police officers and 200 volunteers assigned for safety operations.

Checkpoints will be set up to search suspicious items and bags, while vendors have been asked not to sell powder during the Songkran holiday.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-04-12

footer_n.gif

Thailand is becoming "developed". Government officials, community leaders, and those who aspire to control the lives of others are starting to "decree" how the masses should act. Let see: ban powder, ban alcohol, ban powerful squirt guns.

Keep it up elite ones. We are sure in years to come that the 30 million generated on one road will be diverted to the likes of Cambodia, Myanmar, and less "developed" (and less restrictive) countries who can accommodate fun seeking tourists and natives alike.

Seems as "development" and "acculturation" comes at the price of personal liberties.

• Like 2

Thailand is becoming "developed". Government officials, community leaders, and those who aspire to control the lives of others are starting to "decree" how the masses should act. Let see: ban powder, ban alcohol, ban powerful squirt guns.

Keep it up elite ones. We are sure in years to come that the 30 million generated on one road will be diverted to the likes of Cambodia, Myanmar, and less "developed" (and less restrictive) countries who can accommodate fun seeking tourists and natives alike.

Seems as "development" and "acculturation" comes at the price of personal liberties.

mate .the celebrations r getting out of hand they r being ruined by farang louts and the true reasons for the celebrations being lost in over excessive revellry . saw two idiots in pattaya deliberately cause a traffic accident

mate .the celebrations r getting out of hand they r being ruined by farang louts and the true reasons for the celebrations being lost in over excessive revellry . saw two idiots in pattaya deliberately cause a traffic accident

Or maybe we're the ones getting older and grumpier??

If I was 20 then songkran (beer. sun. sea. water fights, and friends in a tropical country) would have been the highlight of the year. Now I avoid as best i can. So maybe its me that's changed not songkran??

• Like 1

Or maybe we're the ones getting older and grumpier??

If I was 20 then songkran (beer. sun. sea. water fights, and friends in a tropical country) would have been the highlight of the year. Now I avoid as best i can. So maybe its me that's changed not songkran??

I would vote for you have changed. I came up with a vulgar comment on this topic in another thread but for me it comes down to this....I think Thais can be absolute jerks toward foreigners nearly all the time but this is one time of the year I can have fun with them. I'll take it.

• Like 2

First time in Thailand for Songkran, I am in Sakon Nahkon, Had a great day yesterday everybody very friendly and happy. Only too pleased to drench farang at every opportunity. Another party last night, but at 65 the only problem is recovering, but really enjoyed a good fun day