Cambodia Deploys Huge Security For Thaksin Rally

webfact

Cambodia deploys huge security for Thaksin rally

PHNOM PENH, April 12, 2012 (AFP) - Cambodia will deploy thousands of security personnel to police a mass rally for ousted Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra this weekend, officials said Thursday.

Thaksin, a deeply divisive figure in neighbouring Thailand who lives abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption, is set to address tens of thousands of his "Red Shirt" supporters on Saturday in northwestern Siem Reap province.

Phnom Penh said it will foot the bill to provide crowd control and protection for the former Thai leader, who has strong links to Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen.

"We have a duty to provide security for Thai people and for Thaksin," national police spokesman Kirt Chantharith told AFP.

He said there was no specific threat to anyone's safety, but noted that the Red Shirts had a long-standing rivalry with Thai political opponents.

"This is a huge and historical event," he said. "Many thousands of security forces will be in place," including national police, military police, soldiers and bodyguards.

Mass rallies by Thaksin's supporters in the Thai capital in 2010 descended into the kingdom's worst political violence in decades, with more than 90 people -- mostly civilians -- killed in a military crackdown.

Thaksin remains a much-loved figure for many poor Thais, but is hated by much of the Bangkok-based elite in military, palace and bureaucratic circles who see him as autocratic and a threat to the monarchy.

The former tycoon, whose sister Yingluck became prime minister in Thailand last year, told the Red Shirts via a video address from neighbouring Laos on Wednesday that he expects to set foot in Thailand again this year.

Tep Bunchhay, the governor of Siem Reap town, best known as the gateway to Cambodia's famed temples, told AFP by telephone that authorities had prepared a large campsite for the visitors.

He confirmed that Phnom Penh would take care of those expenses as well, though he expected "some of it" might be paid back by Thailand's ruling Puea Thai Party.

Thaksin's fans will also be granted free entry to the Angkor temple complex during their stay, both officials said. A standard day pass to the country's most popular tourist attraction costs $20.

Cambodia and Thailand traded heavy arms fire over a disputed border in early 2011 under the previous Thai government. But ties have warmed significantly since Yingluck took power, largely thanks to her brother whom Hun Sen has called an "eternal friend".

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-04-12

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He confirmed that Phnom Penh would take care of those expenses as well, though he expected "some of it" might be paid back by Thailand's ruling Puea Thai Party.

Thaksin thinks Peua Thai does. I'm sure this expected payback will be discussed in Parliament?

Better keep an eye on them, in case they start to talk about democracy and removing bloody coup makers from power.

I expect those two topics will not be in the Messiah's speech. It would make his eternal friend uncomfortable.

Have there been in speeches asking people to bring bottles?

No it is just assumed that it will be a bring your own bottle party. Should be interesting two thousand to guard one man from ten thousand people that love him.

I bet Calgaryll will be in the front line of adoring fans.

Normal people wishing to stage a Songkhran party for others have to go through the hassle of permits and be required to pay for any expenses.

Some are more equal than others, I guess.

Even Cambodia knows who is really running Thailand.

Well isn't that the ultimate "P**s take" of the week? how much more is there to follow?

Edited by MAJIC

"Thaksin, a deeply divisive figure in neighbouring Thailand who lives abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption, is set to address tens of thousands of his "Red Shirt" supporters on Saturday in northwestern Siem Reap province"

Again, some clarification on this regular attempt by the media at 'historically contextualizing current events" as above......If he is such a deeply divisive figure, how is it that he was able to engineer a significant electoral victory last year, with which he was publically linked. For the Opposition and those who self-servingly coup-ed him out of existence to characterize him as such, are basically communicating the agenda of their minority electoral position in Thailand, for which he continues to be a threat. ...........Also avoiding the coup-based context of his 'jail term for corruption' is misleading. Within that context, an entirely different light is shone on the issue. Winning elections is not corruption, as much as the coupists would suggest otherwise.

CalgaryII, What do you think of Hun Sen? It is a genuine question. Are you going to avoid answering because there is no way to spin it in Thaksin's and the Red Shirt's favor? Is your anti-coup rhetoric truly from deep within your conscience, or is it merely part of your perception management work for Thaksin?

"Thaksin, a deeply divisive figure in neighbouring Thailand who lives abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption, is set to address tens of thousands of his "Red Shirt" supporters on Saturday in northwestern Siem Reap province"

Again, some clarification on this regular attempt by the media at 'historically contextualizing current events" as above......If he is such a deeply divisive figure, how is it that he was able to engineer a significant electoral victory last year, with which he was publically linked. For the Opposition and those who self-servingly coup-ed him out of existence to characterize him as such, are basically communicating the agenda of their minority electoral position in Thailand, for which he continues to be a threat. ...........Also avoiding the coup-based context of his 'jail term for corruption' is misleading. Within that context, an entirely different light is shone on the issue. Winning elections is not corruption, as much as the coupists would suggest otherwise.

If he wasn't a deeply divisive figure why would we need the reconciliation the government spends most of it's time discussing?

It will all be paid back and then some when Thaksin and Hun Sen split up the oil wealth in the gulf. That's what this is all about for him, access and exploitation of these resources and making sure that money goes where it belongs and isn't wasted on a bunch of peasants. Gotta spend money to make money. Hun Sen already waged war against the Thai government last year on behalf of Thaksin, a bit of money spent on this is peanuts.

• Like 1

Ask a simple question,Calgary II ,he bought and paid for it. Not difficult to see through the obvious subterfuge ,is it?

"Thaksin's fans will also be granted free entry to the Angkor temple complex during their stay, both officials said. A standard day pass to the country's most popular tourist attraction costs $20."

dam_n, if I had known that in advance I might have gone.

At risk of being off-topic, just saw some internet photo's of Thaksin's meeting with Red Shirts in Vientiane today, and talked to people who were there. Some comments and photo impressions:

• As discussed previously, Laos was very restrictive about the whole thing, allowing only a temple visit and related ceremonies.
  • Sure enough, there was Thaksin using a megaphone, without a sound system.
  • The spacious grounds in front of this temple, Wat Prathaat Luang, was wall-to-wall Red Shirts.
  • Very emotional by all concerned. Many tears shed by participants, and by Thaksin in appreciation of such overwhelming enthusiasm.

Edited by CalgaryII

At risk of being off-topic, just saw some internet photo's of Thaksin's meeting with Red Shirts in Vientiane today, and talked to people who were there. Some comments and photo impressions:

• As discussed previously, Laos was very restrictive about the whole thing, allowing only a temple visit and related ceremonies.
  • The spacious grounds in front of this temple, Wat Prathaat Luang, was wall-to-wall Red Shirts.
  • Very emotional by all concerned. Many tears shed by participants, and by Thaksin in appreciation of such overwhelming enthusiasm.

Well please share a link to the photos.

I also shed tears when I have to read that....

If the majority of Thais want him and like him, then that is good emough for me.

If only the majority of Thai ... ... ... (finish this sentence according to your believes)

• Like 1

If the majority of Thais want him and like him, then that is good emough for me.

The majority don't. His parties never win a majority of the popular vote. His party, which is really just a coalition of Isaan and Northern old school political families that would win elections even without him, consistently gets about 15 million votes out of 35-38 million voters, out of a total electorate of 45 million. As much as it pains Thaksin propagandists to admit, support for his coalition, let alone for him, has never been a majority of Thais, let alone the vast majority as they try to claim

• Like 2

The majority don't. His parties never win a majority of the popular vote. His party, which is really just a coalition of Isaan and Northern old school political families that would win elections even without him, consistently gets about 15 million votes out of 35-38 million voters, out of a total electorate of 45 million. As much as it pains Thaksin propagandists to admit, support for his coalition, let alone for him, has never been a majority of Thais, let alone the vast majority as they try to claim

Yes they won a parliamentary majority.

Put that in your pie and smoke it!

• Like 1

Yes they won a parliamentary majority.

Put that in your pie and smoke it!

This moved a bit from the original comment made by 'how241' "If the majority of Thais want him and like him, then that is good emough for me.".

Well, actually 'the majority' don't want him or like him - but of course that's not the same as your party winning an election and holding the country hostage. Anyway, Thaksin has a record of only showing respect for court judgements and election results if/when they favor him or are likely to.

Thaksin's such an obvious fraud: If I had a spare pair of shoes, I know what I'd like to do with 'em!

Edited by GazR

If I were a Thai I would abhor Taksins alignment with Hun Sen and Cambodia. It terribly unpatriotic and speaks volumes where Taksins loyalties lie. Also that Hun Sen made war with the Thais when a non Taksin government was in power is just down right despicable and low.

If I were a Thai I would abhor Taksins alignment with Hun Sen and Cambodia. It terribly unpatriotic and speaks volumes where Taksins loyalties lie. Also that Hun Sen made war with the Thais when a non Taksin government was in power is just down right despicable and low.

He will take a friend with guns and an army anytime.

Throw the unpatriotic, un-Thai card, next you are going to tell me he used a nominee to buy some land.