State Of The Phuket Forum

grumpyoldman

Just pop over to the Samui Forum if ya want some positive intelligent conversation or a few laughs GOM. We are happy to accomodate like minded individuals! biggrin.png

Yet you popped in here and dumbed yourself down for us. Truly greatful*

*denotes sarcasm.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting upset is quite normal....

Is it?

I must be abnormal then.

An explanation is needed in your case, getting upset now and again would be considered showing character. hope that helps.

What's to explain?

I don't get upset at words on my computer that are from complete strangers.

Getting upset shows character? Who told you that?

It is something I believe, I do not mean becoming upset and displaying violence, if your feelings are hurt for whatever reason and you outwardly show you are upset it displays character. my opinion of course!!

Just pop over to the Samui Forum if ya want some positive intelligent conversation or a few laughs GOM. We are happy to accomodate like minded individuals! biggrin.png

*denotes sarcasm.

But he lives on Phuket?

*denotes sarcasm.

Aww bless......so sensitive...

If you define someone as unsavory for being rude or sacastic, you better not attend any Comedy nights Kenny.

I think unsavory wasn't the word you were looking for but whatever. You get a pass.

Why would I not attend a comedy night? being rude or sarcastic to someones face would be commendable maybe foolish or is it brave, but I am able to deal with anything said to my face!!

The rude and sarcastic people on this forum would not say the same thing to you personally

Who are these rude and sarcastic people Kenny and yourself are referring to?

I've hardly been sarcastic and if linking a lmgfy link is rude, guilty as charged.

I do not consider you rude and sarcastic and never have, surely you can work out

the people who are yourself

If you define someone as unsavory for being rude or sacastic, you better not attend any Comedy nights Kenny.

I think unsavory wasn't the word you were looking for but whatever. You get a pass.

Why would I not attend a comedy night? being rude or sarcastic to someones face would be commendable maybe foolish or is it brave, but I am able to deal with anything said to my face!!

The rude and sarcastic people on this forum would not say the same thing to you personally

Who are these rude and sarcastic people Kenny and yourself are referring to?

I've hardly been sarcastic and if linking a lmgfy link is rude, guilty as charged.

Its against the rules to name, who said your lmgfy link was rude? the comment was, telling someone to use google instead of trying to provide him with information was rude.

*denotes sarcasm.

Someone likes someone lol

*denotes sarcasm.

Someone likes someone lol

I was gonna do a "Spelling Police" post but its waaaay too Phuket Forum styleee....

You have a choice, and if you are lucky enough to make more good decisions than bad then good for you, enjoy the success you have created. It is not about money, chattels, token girls, fill your life with rewarding relationships, pastimes, employment and continual personal development. Ignore the content you disagree with and contribute with positivity and humour.

We chose to live here and are very lucky if the cards are in our favour - for many of us it is down to the choices we have made and our fortunate social position - apart from the Aussie of course - thieving lot bunch of scoundrels

The only way to tell the difference between the Aussie male and female - the women can spit further.

Gripe away it is all relative and for the moment - you can choose you friends, acquaintances but not your family.

If a good looking, hard working woman chooses you for what you are and what you have accomplished see obviously doesn't know the real you. Hahah

Hang in there, your fate is already decided and there is bugger all you can do about it.

• Like 1

You have a choice, and if you are lucky enough to make more good decisions than bad then good for you, enjoy the success you have created. It is not about money, chattels, token girls, fill your life with rewarding relationships, pastimes, employment and continual personal development. Ignore the content you disagree with and contribute with positivity and humour.

We chose to live here and are very lucky if the cards are in our favour - for many of us it is down to the choices we have made and our fortunate social position - apart from the Aussie of course - thieving lot bunch of scoundrels

The only way to tell the difference between the Aussie male and female - the women can spit further.

Gripe away it is all relative and for the moment - you can choose you friends, acquaintances but not your family.

If a good looking, hard working woman chooses you for what you are and what you have accomplished see obviously doesn't know the real you. Hahah

Hang in there, your fate is already decided and there is bugger all you can do about it.

lol not sure about the Australian reference but I can see it is posted in good humor.

lol not sure about the Australian reference but I can see it is posted in good humor.

Read the forum and we form a opinion without knowing the poster so if you dont like what he posts just ignore it it's just like being in the bar you can talk with your friends but you can hear other conversation's negitive and positive about all sorts of topics and if you dont like what someone is saying just switch off and enjoy yourself.

Just my opinion

• Like 2

It is something I believe, I do not mean becoming upset and displaying violence, if your feelings are hurt for whatever reason and you outwardly show you are upset it displays character. my opinion of course!!

You mean just like all children do?

All children do what? sorry do you mean all children get upset? so adults never get upset is that what you are saying?

Edited by kawapower

Read the forum and we form a opinion without knowing the poster so if you dont like what he posts just ignore it it's just like being in the bar you can talk with your friends but you can hear other conversation's negitive and positive about all sorts of topics and if you dont like what someone is saying just switch off and enjoy yourself.

Just my opinion

Yep agree with that.

several posters on this thread have proved parts of the op's point already by being deliberately obtuse & antagonistic. Suggest to all that you take the op as a suggestion but if anyone does see trolling, flame posting or general nastiness on a thread, use the report button & let the mods do what they can to keep things in check.

thanks

All children do what? sorry do you mean all children get upset? so adults never get upset is that what you are saying?

No....all children when their feelings are hurt, outwardly show it.

Guess they must have character, eh?

No....all children when their feelings are hurt, outwardly show it.

Guess they must have character, eh?

Correct, clever lad!!

But of course you will be aware that not all children will outwardly show it, some let it eat away at them which can turn to violence!! same for adults so it is better to let it out.

Havent got a clue what I am talking about of course(it's all my opinion, but it's been interesting don't you think!!

Edited by kawapower

Getting upset is quite normal, I get upset quite alot when coronation street is not on lol

Funny that you mention that. I grew up in an environment very, very similar to that portrayed in Coronation Street, though hadn't seen the programme for years and years. Ironically, the gym that I'm now using has Astra cable, and at 11 each morning (just about the time I'm arriving, there's a double helping of Coronation Street!! Eeee bye eck chuck.............laugh.png

Edited by pagallim

Interesting thread and totally agree with the OP.

@ 'goober'

If the question asked was 'Are there any kite surfing schools in Phuket' then you would have been spot on to provide a LMGTFY link. I totally agree that a huge amount of posts are pointless and a Google search is far more appropriate. I personally don't feel the need to tell them that they should have used Google but can understand why others may.

The point is he DIDN'T ask that question, he asked if 'Any BM's kite surfed'. Your Google link didn't answer the question he asked, so to me was a bit pointless. When you couple that with your previous reply on the water thread, where you told someone to go and find the answer himself and then gave him inaccurate advice based on what you had read on Google, lead me to make the post where I shared the opinion that your posts weren't very helpful.

Just my opinion

Good post, and pretty much agree. However, if you continue with the bar analogy, then what happens if the people at the next table you are struggling to ignore start throwing peanuts at you? What if they start singing so loudly that you can no longer hear your own conversation? Then ignoring them doesn't work any more.

To me the forum is massive and has enough sub forums to cater for every bodies needs, it just needs people to know where the boundaries are of what threads they should be posting on and what ones they should't.

People's desire to post is by far out weighed by their ability to post a decent helpful reply. In other words people trawl through the forum looking to make replies instead of looking to find questions they know the answer to or topics they have a relevant opinion on, so they end up making posts that are off topic, unhelpful and pointless.

For example, my pet hate is people who reply to a thread to tell the OP that he thinks it's a rubbish thread and doesn't want anything to do with it. blink.png

In my opinion that shouldn't be allowed. It will start a fight and get the thread closed before the people who may have wanted to discuss it get the chance.

I don't agree with this 'It's not real life' point of view either. That's just a poor excuse. Normal people will behave in the same way on the internet as they would in real life. To say it's only the internet so we can be obnoxious and rude is a cop out! and then to accuse people of not having thick enough skin is the same. Yes some people are too sensitive but being frustrated with people trashing threads is not the same as having thin skin.

Another huge problem is the personal grudges. Some posters will put that before anything else and so are looking for wholes in certain peoples post to pick at. These wholes would have been left alone if it was somebody else but because it was someone they had previous with they jump all over it.

You stop people posting off topic, you insist that if they haven't got anything of value to add they don't post, the rest would take care of itself. All the time you have members that constantly post in a certain kind of disruptive way but are clever enough to never cross the line and get themselves banned, this forum will never change. There are people out there with thousands and thousands of posts, but if you take a closer look a huge percentage of them are obnoxious, rude, unhelpful and pointless, but always on the right side of the rules. These people ruin forums in my opinion.

Edited by HongKongPhooey

I like the thread but I think you're missing my point.

In my home country, I was a avid bird watcher. Yes its down right boring for most people.

Once I moved to Phuket, I wanted to seek out other bird watchers and information on what birds to look out for and species.

I had a choice, Do I make a thread in the Phuket forum on Thaivisa or do I research the internet via Google for my specific and not common hobby in a area I'm new to?

If I had chose the first option, I would have zero replies and it would die off within 48 hours when a simple Google search gave me what I was looking for in seconds. Google bird watching phuket yourselves and you'll see what I mean.

The reason for the staleness of the forum is just this. You have the power of the internet in front of you yet you feel a local forum might know best and if even 50% of people bothered to use the search function we would have less of the crap but that's a whole new topic for me to debate. How many 'real estate agent' threads to we need?. Jesus..

I will take your advice and refrain from telling people to use Google because I feel stupid for needing to tell people. Research the internet, phuket forum doesn't know everything that is phuket.

But that's the way you preferred to do it, everybody is different. You have to allow other people to ask those questions if they so desire. Because you don't need to answer them doesn't justify giving other people a hard time who want to.

I don't agree that by removing those threads you would make the forum any less stale. To do that you need to add MORE, interesting content, not criticise the slightly less interesting content already there.

As far as the 'How many real estate thread do we need' point. I think this is another common problem on this forum. People are way too egocentric. Lots of members have been around Phuket and this forum for years even a decade or so. However the vast majority of people haven't. A thread that you have seen ten times before and bores you, doesn't mean that everybody else has seen it before and will find it boring.

The vast majority of forum users don't want to search through old information but want to ask the question right now to current members. If it's old news to you help by giving advice or close the thread and move on.