Thailand....Expectation Versus Reality....

MidlandsBoy

Was wondering what members expectations were about Thailand whilst they were living in their home country and how have these compared to reality now that you are living here.

Although I have not yet been to Thailand, my expections are as follows:

- Cheaper cost of living

- Great weather which is nice to live in all year

- Slim attractive women who are not only after you for your money.

- Medical care not as good

Clearly after reading thaivisa, I realise that the reality may well be different.

The reason I ask is that I am looking at Thailand as a possible retirement location for the future and am interested in the how the reality of life in Thailand has turned out for the average expat. (as compared to expectations)

Many Thanks

1. Cheaper cost of living

2. Great weather which is nice to live in all year

3. Slim attractive women 3.1 who are not only after you for your money.

4. Medical care not as good

1. Maybe maybe not, dpends on how you wish to live your life

2. In comparision with mud island...yes

3. Yes....3.1 be careful...do you actually think young slim attractive women got after geriatric farangs because of the farangs looks ?..money plays a big factor in almost all relationships in thaiand

4. Medical treatment in Thailand can be equal to if not better that mud island, you need to have medical insurance to give you access to what the cheap charlies in Thailand call the rip off hospitals

• Like 1

The fact is, for the vast majority of people, Thailand is a place to spend money, not a place to make money.

When you spend money you get the customer privileges, but when the money runs out you get jack sh1t.

In terms of expectations, I'd advise not expecting anything else.

1. Yes, for most people it's much cheaper. For a few it's more.

2. Depends, I think its way too hot. If you're from someplace really cold and snowy maybe it's better

3. Depends, but most do not find that. Most do not get an attractive girlfriend period, even one that only wants money. Still maybe a step up though, even if not very attractive and only wants your money.

4. Good medical care. For some it's a step up as they can afford decent care here and at home they can't

Edited by DP25

I think it all comes down to the person. Some can do it and some don't. Start with your motivation first. If you have reasons to leave your country of origin you probably be happy in any other country that has a better way of life then where you are now. Those expectations can be the main criteria for anyone to come to thailand. For myself it's important to know if me as a person could live in Thailand for a long period of time and will remain mentally and physically sound. There is a lot more to Thailand then just nice weather and nice girls and cheapness. I am curious what will be said.

- Cheaper cost of living

Not so cheap anymore, but still cheaper. If you want to maintain a western lifestyle maybe even more expensive. Really depends on where and how you live.

The weather is great, but this time of year can be uncomfortably hot. Rainy season is usually not so bad, but when you have continious rain for days on end, can be a bit depressing. But I definitely prefer the warm rain here compared to the UK.

You don't see much in the way of excessive obesity as you do in the west, but I am seeing a lot more fat kids than I used to here. Eating habits are changing and I think that the population is getting fatter in general.

I've not had any serious health issues, but for minor stuff, the doctors seem as good as anywhere.

If you're planning on relocating...anywhere for that matter....it's best to have realistic, if not low expectations. You will not be disappointed. To your points:

- Cheaper cost of living

Labor is cheaper here, so certain things are cheaper. But "western style" living can get expensive. The Thai baht has been very strong; or conversely, western currencies (save the Aussie) have been very weak.

If you like hot and hotter.

A real slippery slope, this one. Luckily, the farang ideal of "attractive" is different than the Thais.

This one, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Great value for the money, relative to the west.

I came from Florida. Weather in Thailand is worse. More expensive to live in Thailand. Women were skinny in Florida and wore T-backs at the beach or went topless and lots of nudist resorts in Florida. Medical care in Florida is better. Food is better in Florida, lots of Thai food and safe to eat. More fruit in Florida and cheaper. Women about the same level of greed; some good some bad.

• Like 1

its already been said but its important so il say it again

If you trying to have a farang lifestyle ,it will probabaly cost even more

local food is cheap

local alcohol is cheap

rent is cheaper than europe

medical services are cheaper in govt hospitals *

imported meats ,german /belgian beers ,cheese ,clothes ,vehicles are all very expensive ,even good coffee costs more than in europe

if you want to eat fish and chips or steak and potatoes every day ,youve probably came to the wrong country ;)

if you can eat rice sometimes and dont mind cheap alcohol you will probably be ok

OP you say that you have not yet been to Thailand but are considering it as a possible retirement location in the future - how far in the future are we talking?

When you say yet - I presume that you have actually planned a trip to have a look first hand....

Edited by topt

I came from Florida. Weather in Thailand is worse. More expensive to live in Thailand. Women were skinny in Florida and wore T-backs at the beach or went topless and lots of nudist resorts in Florida. Medical care in Florida is better. Food is better in Florida, lots of Thai food and safe to eat. More fruit in Florida and cheaper. Women about the same level of greed; some good some bad.

......and you're still living here here. rolleyes.gif

......and you're still living here here. rolleyes.gif

Actually a lot more British and Canadian people live in Florida than Thailand. On any level it is a better choice. Most Brits are on the Florida West coast and now housing is almost free.

Never been to Florida, are the skinny girls there going for short time for 500b ? Just asking, as that'll probably be a factor for someone asking about girlies.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Where the Brits live, on the West coast of Florida a lady was arrested last week for offering sex for Macdonald's cheeseburgers, (2 double cheeseburgers to be specific) you can google it.

Where the Brits live, on the West coast of Florida a lady was arrested last week for offering sex for Macdonald's cheeseburgers, (2 double cheeseburgers to be specific) you can google it.

So instead of the traditional way of opening a beer bar in Thailand, one could opt for a burger joint in Florida. An option, yes.

I'd take a look at Malaysia as well as Thailand if I were retiring to S-E Asia. Land ownership allowed albeit with limitation, visa policy far more lax and English language is better understood (in my limited experience with communicating with them). No idea what the burger policy there is, being a muslim country and all.

Learning Thai is not the easiest thing, but necessary if one wants to live outside expat bubbles. Another thing to consider. It's far too easy to park ones behind in one of the farang watering holes and rapidly work one's way toward the temple fires from there, instead of mixing in.

The weather is dismal. You'll be soaked piss-wet through the whole time every time you step outside; it rains stair-rods, which is better than the humidity and sweat when its not raining. Even though some things are cheap, you can still spend money like water.

I would recommend North Korea, which has a cooler climate, there's nothing to buy, and you will not be led astray by temptations of the flesh.

SC

• Like 1

So instead of the traditional way of opening a beer bar in Thailand, one could opt for a burger joint in Florida. An option, yes.

I'd take a look at Malaysia as well as Thailand if I were retiring to S-E Asia. Land ownership allowed albeit with limitation, visa policy far more lax and English language is better understood (in my limited experience with communicating with them). No idea what the burger policy there is, being a muslim country and all.

Learning Thai is not the easiest thing, but necessary if one wants to live outside expat bubbles. Another thing to consider. It's far too easy to park ones behind in one of the farang watering holes and rapidly work one's way toward the temple fires from there, instead of mixing in.

Hooters started in Florida in case you didn't know.

post-20120-0-94319000-1334384465_thumb.j

Would be a problem to start it here

Would be a problem to start it here

With lady boys it might work. Or you could call it ity bity hooters

Thailand met my expectations when I decided to move here.

Of course, after a while it changes, but nevertheless it was exactly as I thought it would be, in the beginning.

When i lived in BKK and friends and colleagues asked me how BKK was, I always said the following: "Absolutely everything you have heard about Bangkok is true".

OP you say that you have not yet been to Thailand but are considering it as a possible retirement location in the future - how far in the future are we talking?

When you say yet - I presume that you have actually planned a trip to have a look first hand....

Am planning a trip next winter to see if I like the place. In terms of retirement am probably looking at within 3 years. Reckon any move would be gradual with winter months in Thailand first and then see how it goes from there.

• Like 1

The few expectations I had were based on a 5 year friendship with a Thai girl I'd become friends with back in London. She was just lovely, kind, honest, trustworthy pretty in quirky way and her English at the time was highly amusing to me. I'd never met a Thai before her in 2003 so when I decided to go around the world with Thailand as the first stop, I thought people would be like her.laugh.png How wrong was I?

Still decided to set up base here while on my first visit. It's been a scream

1. Cheaper cost of living

2. Great weather which is nice to live in all year

3. Slim attractive women 3.1 who are not only after you for your money.

4. Medical care not as good

1. Definitely interms of rent, food, fuel but for almost anything imported, think big bucks

2. Too hot

3. For sure lots of gorgeous, slim women and contrary to the lamentations of the zero-personalities, there are loads of women who aren't after money.

4. Medical care is up there with the best in the world and not that expensive at all.

Enter Thailand without any expectations. Do whatever you want, be safe, play safe, don't care what others call or say about you and you'll find Thailand same as anywhere else.

Was wondering what members expectations were about Thailand whilst they were living in their home country and how have these compared to reality now that you are living here.

Although I have not yet been to Thailand, my expections are as follows:

- Cheaper cost of living

Clearly after reading thaivisa, I realise that the reality may well be different.

The reason I ask is that I am looking at Thailand as a possible retirement location for the future and am interested in the how the reality of life in Thailand has turned out for the average expat. (as compared to expectations)

Many Thanks

Having just returned from 6 weeks in Texas and Florida, my wife and I reconfirmed that our lives are much better off here than there. You're delusional if you think it's more expensive to live here than there. That Waffle House breakfast (not clean, noisy, and cramped) that's advertised for $4.99 will end up costing $7 or more by the time you add in coffee, tax, and tip. Veggies and fruits are seriously expensive.....and sold by the pound versus kilo. For example, 3-5 scallions generally cost about $0.60 there, here they're about 20-30 baht a kilo. US tomatoes, yes they're delicious.......cost about $2-3 a pound. You'd have to pay a whole lot of 200 baht police fines to make up for one US speeding ticket. When your lawnmower needs a spot weld, you'll probably toss it out and buy a new one........here, I get a spot weld for 10-20 baht. Flats on my bike are fixed pronto for 20 baht and I get a full tune up on my mountain bike, including new cables for 200 baht........my brother paid $165 for a Cannondale tuneup. Lastly, I could only dream of having an acre of land, fully landscaped, full time gardener and full time maid back in the US. Here, it sets me back a few hundred dollars a month....well worth it to allow my and my wife to enjoy our retired lives together.

Edited by kokesaat

Never been to Florida, are the skinny girls there going for short time for 500b ? Just asking, as that'll probably be a factor for someone asking about girlies.

USD $20 for an in-car BJ from a very ugly and dangerous crack whore. $200+ for something more enjoyable. Can be thousands to get a night with the equivalent of what you can find here for 500, but of course they take a more professional attitude to customer satisfaction.

Regardless of price, give me gifted amateurs any day. . .

USD $20 for an in-car BJ from a very ugly and dangerous crack whore. $200+ for something more enjoyable. Can be thousands to get a night with the equivalent of what you can find here for 500, but of course they take a more professional attitude to customer satisfaction.

Regardless of price, give me gifted amateurs any day. . .

I guess you are speaking from experience but it is really a bottom of the barrel experience. I would tell you 100 other inexpensive but better alternatives than crack whores but I don't think we are supposed to discuss specifics here. Florida is a relative cornucopia of alternative lifestyles. Places and people and things that are illegal in Thailand. Thailand is great for those who "don't got game" but for the experienced there are more interesting places.