Buying Dollars

I'm travelling back to the states next month and have a good stack of baht I want to exchange into dollars. I understand that when buying baht one will get a better exchange rate in Thailand than in other countries. Does anyone know if the exchange rate for buying dollars will be better in bangkok or back in california? I would like to know, thanks.

You know I have never tried & maybe someone who has actual experience will reply but

Looking at Thai banks the rate to buy dollars looks even across the board.

While trying US banks with the reverse situation many say "call" so hard to tell.

Personally I do not imagine the spread is very big unless it is a very large sum you are converting?

When I fly out of LAX, I glance at the currency exchange rates and I check with the AAA currency exchange rate service they provide. I am sure you don't want those rates. The problem in the USA is, you will have more trouble finding a bank to exchange Thai baht then you will in Thailand. The few times I had more Thai Baht then I wanted when leaving Thailand I exchanged them in Thailand. I don't think you will get any better rate in the USA and I doubt it will be as convenient. Baht to USD money changing banks are not on every corner in the USA.

I'm travelling back to the states next month and have a good stack of baht I want to exchange into dollars. I understand that when buying baht one will get a better exchange rate in Thailand than in other countries. Does anyone know if the exchange rate for buying dollars will be better in bangkok or back in california? I would like to know, thanks.

No bank on earth outside of Thailand wants your baht. Change it here unless you know someone back home is coming over and wants to buy them off you.

A recent poster tried to sell 600k baht in the uk and the rate was ruinous, about 10-15 % off the buy rate.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Simply put. Make all your conversions to dollars here in Thailand. Thai baht is useless as a convertible currency outside Thailand.. You can find a few sources in major banking but will get clobbered on the rate, huge discount to published rates. Been there, done that. Just have your Thai bank wire it if you have too much to carry. If you carry more than 10K Us , be sure to declare on arrival.

Can't you just sell your baht to someone here on the forum? I hope I'm not violating anything to suggest that. But if you reach an accommodation, each of you would get a better exchange rate than you would at a bank.

You are going to do better buying dollars in Thailand compared to the U.S. Just looking at the current selling rates (i.e., buy dollars) if you would walk into Bangkok Bank outlet today to exchange 100,000 baht to USD would would get $3,234; walk into a Bank of America outlet today in the U.S. and you would get $2,981. Thai baht is used/needed very little outside of Thailand therefore the money exchangers outside of Thailand use a high spread when exchanging.

About a week ago while traveling throught the Dallas airport I saw an exchange booth that was offering 24 baht for the yankee dollar. The advice being given is sound in that you wanna exchange your $ in Thailand prior to leaving.

The banks and money change places don't want to even mess with the Thai baht, although some will, but they are going to charge you big time to do so.

SuperRich IS the best rate unless you have some black market buddies - then you have to worry even MORE about counterfeits.

Use only the main branch for the best rate AND make sure you go into the correct building!!! Be very watchful when you leave of your surroundings.

Edited by bangkokburning