Phayao Amphoe Chun

irlguy1

Hi everyone

I am heading to Phayao Amphoe Chun in a few weeks and am wondering where the nearest guesthouse would be. I have a car so around a 15 min drive would be fine.I cant find anything on google so hoping a local might have some clue.

Thanks

I live in Phayao, but have never been out to Chun....but it is only 45 km or so from Phayao. It has been on my list of close-in treks to be made, I just haven't done it yet. There's quite a bit of lodging in and around Phayao, but Chun, I don't know. Good luck. PP

I live in Phayao, but have never been out to Chun....but it is only 45 km or so from Phayao. It has been on my list of close-in treks to be made, I just haven't done it yet. There's quite a bit of lodging in and around Phayao, but Chun, I don't know. Good luck. PP

Thanks for replying anyway mate

The center of Muang Chun is around the junction of the Dok Kham Thai - Pong road with the Chiang Kham - Chun road (the junction of 1091 with 1021).

From the junction go towards Chiang Kham. After 700 metres, at the police station, turn left and you are now on the 1292 which goes to Pa Daet or Mae Loi Rai. This is also the shortest road to Muang Chiang Rai.

In the first sharp bend after 600 metres, go straight on (get off the main road) and you are on side road. Two decent guest houses are located 400 metres further on. The road joins the 1091 further on.

Other guest houses and/or 24 hours hotels are located on the 1091 before you reach Chun (coming from Dok Kham Thai). A more expensive resort is located outside the town on the 1021 road towards Chiang Kham.

The center of Muang Chun is around the junction of the Dok Kham Thai - Pong road with the Chiang Kham - Chun road (the junction of 1091 with 1021).

From the junction go towards Chiang Kham. After 700 metres, at the police station, turn left and you are now on the 1292 which goes to Pa Daet or Mae Loi Rai. This is also the shortest road to Muang Chiang Rai.

In the first sharp bend after 600 metres, go straight on (get off the main road) and you are on side road. Two decent guest houses are located 400 metres further on. The road joins the 1091 further on.

Other guest houses and/or 24 hours hotels are located on the 1091 before you reach Chun (coming from Dok Kham Thai). A more expensive resort is located outside the town on the 1021 road towards Chiang Kham.

Thanks for that mate

I will be driving from Chiang Rai airport heading to Chun. The only landmark I know of near where I need to go is the Tesco Lotus in Chun Town.

What would be the nearest place to there to stay. I know it's asking a lot but somewhere with Wifi would be a huge help.

The places you mentioned how long drive would they be from the Tesco. Would u know ?

Tesco Lotus is along the 1091 road from the junction towards Dok Kham Thai. At the time of my last visit the store had not opened yet .

Coming from Chiang Rai airport you have two roads reaching Muang Chun. The short road is the 1020 towards Thoeng. After passing a mountainous stretch, change to the 1292 for Mae Loi Rai and Muang Chun.

The long road is the 1020 to all the way to Thoeng and continue with the 1021 to Chiang Kham and Chun.

The guest houses indicated in #4 are nearest to Tesco. One of them, the open plan bungalows, is the best bet for Wifi. For high quality accommodation look along the road towards Chiang Kham.

There is a chance that I visit the Chun area after Songkran. I shall look, ask and report here.

• Like 1

Tesco Lotus is along the 1091 road from the junction towards Dok Kham Thai. At the time of my last visit the store had not opened yet .

Coming from Chiang Rai airport you have two roads reaching Muang Chun. The short road is the 1020 towards Thoeng. After passing a mountainous stretch, change to the 1292 for Mae Loi Rai and Muang Chun.

The long road is the 1020 to all the way to Thoeng and continue with the 1021 to Chiang Kham and Chun.

The guest houses indicated in #4 are nearest to Tesco. One of them, the open plan bungalows, is the best bet for Wifi. For high quality accommodation look along the road towards Chiang Kham.

There is a chance that I visit the Chun area after Songkran. I shall look, ask and report here.

You would be doing me a huge favor if you did that. I am heading over in 7 weeks and haven't sorted a car or accommodation yet :) Will most likely hire one from Avis in the airport.

Davedm....

I highly recommend you get the A 2 Z Atlas of Northern Thailand, put out by PN MAP. It holds a plethora of great info and it is more or less, bilingual. The maps they present you in this is second to none. They even show all of the secondary roadways and others. By far, better than any paper map I have seen of the area. You can go to http://www.pnmap.com and perhaps see what they offer. Chiang Rai has a great, new bookstore, BK Books, that should have it. Enjoy your travels....ett

• Like 1

Hi again

Thanks for all the info so far.

Here is some more detail of where I am heading. The tesco is actually this one

http://www.tescolotus.net/placedetail.php?menu=location_th&type=Talad〈=en&id=656

151/1 Moo. 6 Huai Khao Kam Chun Phayao 56150

The pics I attached are the route I am taking so with that in mind and my final destination being near the Tesco maybe someone can give me a better idea of where I can stay or if the places already posted are close by.

post-150234-0-03412100-1334574184_thumb.

post-150234-0-15576800-1334574188_thumb.

This is kind of the way things go here on our forum. Phayao is that much more remote than Chiang Rai itself and we have very few posters out that way. I would guess some do not reside full-time, are very new themselves or are simply not active on the forum. You have already had a few helpful responses so I would consider yourself lucky by forum standards.

Really, with the information you have already you should have no problem. Besides your betrothed or her family would be better situated to recommend accommodation near them. I am surprised they haven’t “told” you already, where you are staying.

Relax, its Thailand and you will be fine. What is the worst that could happen?wink.pngwhistling.gif

On another subject, if you want to know the value of a piece of land, try taking the Chanote down to the land office to have it valued for taxes. That will give you an idea what the government thinks it is worth but not necessarily what you will have to pay for it.

Now sin sot is a whole different can of worms. Best of luck, you seem to have a lot on your plate.

On another subject, if you want to know the value of a piece of land, try taking the Chanote down to the land office to have it valued for taxes. That will give you an idea what the government thinks it is worth but not necessarily what you will have to pay for it.

Now sin sot is a whole different can of worms. Best of luck, you seem to have a lot on your plate.

Unfortunately neither her nor her family have really left the homestead and there is little or no accommodation in the village hence needing to ask on the forum smile.png Her friend has told her of one place but its just an air coned room and little else but it will do at a pinch.I really really really want internet.

The family want me to stay with them which I will do for a few nights but don't think I can last 10 days without a few comforts.

Thanks for the post mate its good to see someone is alive 555

Sinsot is not a problem my girl mentioned it before I did and her exact words were

"you know you have to show money and gold at party yes? but not worry only have to give father little bit the rest we take back after party. I want to have money for home with you"

Edited by Davedm1971

Internet, you can pick up a 'dongle' for less than a thousand baht or bring your own. get a sim card here , there's bound to be someone selling them locally. 30 hours for a about 100 baht or 600 baht unlimited.

She has one but signal is crap in Chun :(

The map titled Tesco Lotus gives a wrong impression of the road lay-out. The crossroad labeled Chun-Pong intersection is a T-junction. From this T-junction a narrow village road, which becomes a rural road, goes to a dead end at Chun Dam. The police station is 700 metres from the T-junction in the direction of Chiang Kham.

Tesco Lotus is 700 metres from the T-junction in the direction of Dok Kham Thai. About 200 metres past Tesco and at the same side of the road, is Soi 3 Mu 6. It is written in Thai but you can read the 3 and 6. Turn into this soi and after 500 metres you will meet a concrete road, turn left and 200 metres further is Sweet Home guest house. They are asking 350 Baht for a room. This is the nearest accommodation to Tesco. There is no Internet and there is no food. A second hotel is nearby but it may be closed.

The road on which Sweet Home guest house is located connects the 1091 road with the 1292 road. Read post #4.

Pummai Horm Boutique Hotel, Resort and 24 Hours Hotel is located 2 km from the intersection, in the direction of Chiang Kham. They are asking 500 Baht and they promised to give a "boiled rice" breakfast. There is no Internet.

Keep driving another 4 km in the direction of Chiang Kham and on the West side of the road is a brand new resort with a name in English. My guess is that they will charge 500 Baht per night. I do not know if they serve food or if they have Internet. The distance from Tesco is about 7 km.

Opposite the police station is a new coffee shop but it does not advertise Wifi. Google Earth shows an image next to Chun market. If you click on it, you will get an advert for an Internet cafe. Chun market is about halfway between Tesco and the T-junction. I have not seen any other Internet cafes in Chun.

On the Google map in post #9, your trip ends in Huai Khao Kam. From Nam Chun (called Lo on the Google map) your blue line does not follow a road to reach Huai Khao Kam. Stay on the 1292. In Nam Chun (where the 1126 joins the 1292) there is a tarred road going West and bending South to join the 1091. If you do not speak Thai and if you do not have a Thai guide with you on this trip, let us know because you need more help.

• Like 1

Well just trying to Help, there will be internet Cafe's and you could also spend your time with Intercourse.

Social Intercourse ............... whistling.gif

I know your trying to help mate and its appreciated. My comment wasnt meant in any way ungrateful I was just stating an unfortunate fact sad.png

I dont speak Thai and nobody in the villiage speaks english apart from my girlfriend so one type of intercourse you suggested is out the window and if I dont get a decent place to stay and end up in her house for the holiday then every type of intercourse is off the list.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP :)

Edited by Davedm1971

The map titled Tesco Lotus gives a wrong impression of the road lay-out. The crossroad labeled Chun-Pong intersection is a T-junction. From this T-junction a narrow village road, which becomes a rural road, goes to a dead end at Chun Dam. The police station is 700 metres from the T-junction in the direction of Chiang Kham.

Tesco Lotus is 700 metres from the T-junction in the direction of Dok Kham Thai. About 200 metres past Tesco and at the same side of the road, is Soi 3 Mu 6. It is written in Thai but you can read the 3 and 6. Turn into this soi and after 500 metres you will meet a concrete road, turn left and 200 metres further is Sweet Home guest house. They are asking 350 Baht for a room. This is the nearest accommodation to Tesco. There is no Internet and there is no food. A second hotel is nearby but it may be closed.

The road on which Sweet Home guest house is located connects the 1091 road with the 1292 road. Read post #4.

Pummai Horm Boutique Hotel, Resort and 24 Hours Hotel is located 2 km from the intersection, in the direction of Chiang Kham. They are asking 500 Baht and they promised to give a "boiled rice" breakfast. There is no Internet.

Keep driving another 4 km in the direction of Chiang Kham and on the West side of the road is a brand new resort with a name in English. My guess is that they will charge 500 Baht per night. I do not know if they serve food or if they have Internet. The distance from Tesco is about 7 km.

Opposite the police station is a new coffee shop but it does not advertise Wifi. Google Earth shows an image next to Chun market. If you click on it, you will get an advert for an Internet cafe. Chun market is about halfway between Tesco and the T-junction. I have not seen any other Internet cafes in Chun.

On the Google map in post #9, your trip ends in Huai Khao Kam. From Nam Chun (called Lo on the Google map) your blue line does not follow a road to reach Huai Khao Kam. Stay on the 1292. In Nam Chun (where the 1126 joins the 1292) there is a tarred road going West and bending South to join the 1091. If you do not speak Thai and if you do not have a Thai guide with you on this trip, let us know because you need more help.

Thanks so much for your post I was getting desperate. I have no guide and I dont speak Thai :(

Any help is hugely appreciated.

I dont mind if the accomodation has no food as I will be eating with my girlfriend and her family or I can grab something on the go.

All I need is an aircon room with double bed and some form of internet.

Oh yea and divine intervention to get me from airport to Tesco as I am collecting her from work that day......yikes

Some more advice. Abandon the idea of renting a car at the airport and driving to Chun. Take a taxi to Chiang Rai city and stay overnight. Look around Chiang Rai, particularly observe the traffic. Buy the GT-Rider Golden Triangle road map from a bookstore and study this map (websitewww.GT-Rider.com). Make sure that you have a valid international driving license. Rent a car. The next "morning" after breakfast or before the rush hour traffic, leave for Chun.

Abandon the idea of using the 1292 road and drive via Thoeng and Chiang Kham to Chun. The signposting on this road is excellent. Do not enter Chiang Kham but use the ring road.

An aircon room with Internet in Chun: ask your girlfriend! Tell us here about your experience with "northern Thai" village food....two times yikes.

• Like 1

I arrive in the airport at 1pm and only on a 10 day trip so don't have the luxury to hang around. I haven't seen my girls for 3 months so cant waste a whole day staying overnight in Rai.

What was the idea behind the suggestion?

The advise on not taking the 1292 sounds good I will google map it and have a look thanks.

"What was the idea behind the suggestion?" The local driving behavior can be a little bit deviating from what is considered "normal road use".

Ah I get you..

I have driven in pattaya so if it's the same or a little better then I should be ok.The hardest part is directions I think