Warning - Pattaya Now Has Alcohol Breath Testing In Daily Use

misterhe

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well raro i wish no ill feeling towards anyone i just hope you never have a accident and if you are drinking and driving don't be speeding.I don't know how much you drink but if it is less then what you would pay for taxies then either you must not drink to much therefore are never " pissed out of your mind "

or you get a lot of free drinks

everyone just stay safe

Well, a beer at Leo's is 80 Baht, my bill hardly ever exceeds 500 Baht. Over the limit, but OK in my books.

sent from my Android phone

well raro i wish no ill feeling towards anyone i just hope you never have a accident and if you are drinking and driving don't be speeding.I don't know how much you drink but if it is less then what you would pay for taxies then either you must not drink to much therefore are never " pissed out of your mind "

or you get a lot of free drinks

everyone just stay safe

Well, a beer at Leo's is 80 Baht, my bill hardly ever exceeds 500 Baht. Over the limit, but OK in my books.

sent from my Android phone

Until you get stopped and have to take a Breathalyzer test

• Like 2

so raro i would assume that you most likely drive home without any problems because your would not be to pissed

but i don't want to hear about policing arresting you but you should be fine i think it will end on the 20th

the checking that is

Seems from the majority of these posts only a few Thaivisa members actually drink and drive,I finds this unbelievable to say the least after years of witnessing what I would call " a culture of drunk driving". Seem they may be taking a que from Thaksin Shinawatra who today declared "I didn't do anything wrong", whom of course is a shining example of truth and morals.

Kudos to the OP and the few others whom where candid enough to state that they are only human and sometimes screw up.clap2.gif

On Friday about 4:30 am I drove through that light, and from what I saw they only stopping people without helmets, which was about half of bikes, the others they did not bother with and I only saw person get through without a helmet and that was a motorcycle taxi with passenger. I was not stopped.

On Saturday I was there at the same time and they were not there.

The OP stated they are regularly there looking for people with no helmets, after midnight they are rarely there, which is way they so many people were getting stopped for no helmets.

Edited by marinediscoking

^^ and Kudos to you Thaidiver, to bring into a thread about Breathalyzer and alcohol in Pattaya the feared leader of Thailand once again clap2.gif Maybe it's because of the word jail ?????

Edited by MJCM

thats an accurate description of soi 9 police cells, I suggest you hide your phone down your pants, I never got mine back although they assured me till the end I would but it had already been sold to another farang in the cells so I knew they were lying, also you may not have noticed but a lot of yaabaa is smoked in the cells behind the toilet wall and hung blankets, they dont make it obvious to farang but if you are there more then a day you notice. its supplied by a policemen every evening and the ladyboys, if they are still alive, sell it for them

Maybe off topic, but what happens if you take (when intoxicated or not) a MotoBike Taxi home and the MotoBike Taxidriver fails the Breathalyzer ? Who's responsible ? The Farang because he hired the MotoBike Taxi or the MotoBike Taxi because he got drunk ?

*Kit mak.

I am curious to know what the OP blew on the alcohol test?

I blew 0.118 which is well over the limit.

However the amount over the limit didn't seem to make a difference to the fine. All 17 farangs booked were fined either 2500 baht to 2700 baht. And the range was from 0.070 to 0.20+. Another Aussie guy blew 0.208 which is a not a bad effort, admitted he was legless (to me not the judge), 4 times over the limit, still only fined 2700 baht. Seemed the amount over didn't matter, there was much speculation about that during the day, but the judge made no mention and sentenced people in groups and there was no relationship to the amount over the limit.

They were doing random urine testing on Thai girls (maybe guys but didn't see any) and getting them for amphetamines. They were in the same group as we were but held separately and sentenced separately. No farangs were urine tested. They had been doing random uring testing on girls in Soi Kow Pai earlier in the week as well. There was a lot of Thai's in the court holding cells for drug offences.

However the amount over the limit didn't seem to make a difference to the fine. All 17 farangs booked were fined either 2500 baht to 2700 baht. And the range was from 0.070 to 0.20+. Another Aussie guy blew 0.208 which is a not a bad effort, admitted he was legless (to me not the judge), 4 times over the limit, still only fined 2700 baht. Seemed the amount over didn't matter, there was much speculation about that during the day, but the judge made no mention and sentenced people in groups and there was no relationship to the amount over the limit.

They were doing random urine testing on Thai girls (maybe guys but didn't see any) and getting them for amphetamines. They were in the same group as we were but held separately and sentenced separately. No farangs were urine tested. They had been doing random uring testing on girls in Soi Kow Pai earlier in the week as well. There was a lot of Thai's in the court holding cells for drug offences.

Thats is over the limit but not very drunk in my opinion.

The op got caught but i hope he has a good outcome which i am sure he will

i definitely think he will not be deported and his lawyer is right it is small

but i sorry for the hell he had to endure

let it be a warning a significant warning to other ex pats

you might be ok in your car but on motorbike you might have problem

saying that i do not think it will be a regular check it is just because of songkran

one things is sure on the 19th when everyone is drunk on bikes no police will be out checking because we know the 19th they do not come out

Thats is over the limit but not very drunk in my opinion.

??....does it matter...he was legally drunk...

the one thing everyone is forgetting is the possible addtional conseuqences of being done for drinking and driving in a foreign country

...say for example you are deported/refused and another visa, a lot of people have familes, properties, cars etc and you run the risk of loosing the lot..

.get done in your own country, yes you will pay the fine, get a record, but in most cases your whole life will not be destroyed, which is what could happen in a foreign country just because you have had one beer too many... Paying THB 1000 to get taxi home is money well spent in situations like this

Edited by Soutpeel

Considering most of the taxi drivers drink all day, not so sure you're safer off with them.

Good for Pattaya for getting serious about... something. The bad news is, it's only a matter of time until they abuse this and start saying you are over the limit when in fact you have not had a single drink, and luck for you, you'll be able to pay that fine on the spot. Count on this happening eventually, if it's not already.

It really sucks to have to drive a car in endless traffic jam but,

does anyone have a cheap car for sale ?

From my experience when I see these sobriety check points setup they are on sukumvit and they are focusing on cars. I think i have seen them on 3rd road a couple of times but i was not sure if they were checking for sobriety. This is the first I have seen or hear of them doing this inside of pattaya. I would not be off the races to by a car just yet.

My girlfriend and I got stopped turning left off of Pattaya Tai 16 on to Pattaya Tai, 2am last nite. we were wearing helmets, she was breath tested, she had had 4 Vodkas, it showed up as 36, they said if it showed 50 she would have been carted off. Just a good job it weren't me driving.....

Wow - sounds like quite an experience - and kudos to you for your honesty in relating it all here.

This type of random breath-testing has been a long time coming to Pattaya IMO and I for one think its a great idea. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen expats drinking in a bar and then leave under their own steam on a bike or in a car. And there's no excuse either as there are alternate modes of transport available.

Lets hope that this measure will bring down the road accident statistics.

If this is just a Songkran week special then it's totally useless.

What a fascinating story. I've always carried a copy of the main page of my passport as I believe the law says you must carry ID but from what you say it would have done me no good at all. I suppose none of the high profile 'farang volunteers' were available? Well done to you for spreading the procedure.

While it is true that a special blitz was on during Songkran - in many provinces - you can get caught driving drunk at many other check points at other times if the senior officer decides that this is part of that night's agenda.

I join others in congratulating the OP for his informative post and his overall attitude to being caught.

A couple of points on some comments made in replies...

1) Tourist police are seldom involved in Traffic stops or Soi 9 station duties

2) other foreign police volunteers who usually are involved are not working from April 12th to 19th inclusive

So these foreign volunteer police are not around during the Songkran mayhem ? How silly is that !

I have a regular bar i drink in for about 3 years now, I popped in one night riding my CBR1100 which I've owned now for about 6 years, at least 10 regulars from the bar asked me about the bike as they had never seen it before - 30baht for a MB taxi home is hardly a budget breaker for anyone, oh and I ended up drinking that night and the bike was still there next day :)

Wow - sounds like quite an experience - and kudos to you for your honesty in relating it all here.

This type of random breath-testing has been a long time coming to Pattaya IMO and I for one think its a great idea. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen expats drinking in a bar and then leave under their own steam on a bike or in a car. And there's no excuse either as there are alternate modes of transport available.

I would say they don't have the capacity to make this a regular operation, they would very quickly run out of resources to handle the sheer numbers of Thais and falangs that would be caught and processed on any given night - sad but true

I also agree that the transport charges for a taxi to the darkside costing 500baht is rediculous considering you can hire a bahtbus for an evening for about 1000baht - take a taxi to BKK Airport for 900baht - hire a minibus for 2000baht a day, but it's still no excuse for drink driving, on the occasion I've been to walking street and on my way home I laugh at the baht bus drivers quoting me 200 baht for a 3-4 km journey - I just reply mai pen rai 2nd road 10baht - tourists ruin this place lol

Edited by smedly

I would say they don't have the capacity to make this a regular operation, they would very quickly run out of resources to handle the sheer numbers of Thais and falangs that would be caught and processed on any given night - sad but true

I also agree that the transport charges for a taxi to the darkside costing 500baht is rediculous considering you can hire a bahtbus for an evening for about 1000baht - take a taxi to BKK Airport for 900baht - hire a minibus for 2000baht a day, but it's still no excuse for drink driving, on the occasion I've been to walking street and on my way home I laugh at the baht bus drivers quoting me 200 baht for a 3-4 km journey - I just reply mai pen rai 2nd road 10baht - tourists ruin this place lol

It's not the tourists that ruin this place, it's the local mafia. We seriously need better public transportation and a taxi service like in Bangkok. But unable to do so due to the mafia.

• Like 1

Been happening in Bkk for quite a while. Tung MaHek (the old immigration police station) is the flagship in Bkk so don't drive down Silom, Robinson side to Rama 3 as he fine has been increased for car drivers to 8k from 4k with the extra 4k used as incentive and overhead. They also have a quota so are very reluctant to let anyone off. Expect night in jail, loss of license, fine, community service and 2 year suspended sentence.

Presumably paying more than 4k will get you through in a lesser jurisdiction but it's a toss up between "farang" scalp and paperwork hassles?!?

The OP's post is brutal, thanks for the heads up!

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement