Huge Shake Here In Kata

LivinginKata

Twais, A difference in energy between 9.0 and 8.0 is one thousand times. One point is 100 times the energy.

No dude, the difference in energy is square root of 1000 or about 31 times. The difference in amplitude - the peak to peak - is 10.

Spot on - all explained here:

http://earthquake.us...much_bigger.php

There's even a calculator here:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/calculator.php

Edited by JetsetBkk

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though Twitter tells of big crowds on the mountain from Patong and in front of Jungceylon, in the restaurant where my girlfriend works, it is already business as usual again, with customers ordering food.

Not all people here are blindly panic-stricken... an hour after a smallish aftershock, no wave warning... everybody can calm down.

Well, try to be a bit more polite. If a person have experienced the 2004 quake and aftermath, the panic mode is slightly more ready to come in game.

Also when people felt the last weeks quake, which was M8.6 and today's quake, which FELT way bigger than the last weeks quake.. they have all the rights to be alerted.

Only after the real data reaches to the people, they can relax.

Frankly, not much need to be more polite; because *I am* one of those who were here in 2004 and me and my business suffered for a long time for it. I was on the beach on 11. April.

In one thing you are right: what is needed is people who inform themselves, instead of acting without information. The information has been and is available, and today even seconds after the felt earthquake, it was 99% sure there would be no tsunami. 30 minutes later, one could be really sure.

People still worrying now do simply overreact. You will burn yourself out this way; besides the totally negative impact on the feelings of tourists who have not been here, do not know better, and still see the locals/expats heading for the mountains 2 1/2 hours before a tsunami can even be here.

• Like 2

Twais, A difference in energy between 9.0 and 8.0 is one thousand times. One point is 100 times the energy.

No dude, the difference in energy is square root of 1000 or about 31 times. The difference in amplitude - the peak to peak - is 10.

Spot on - all explained here:

http://earthquake.us...uch_bigger.php

There's even a calculator here:

http://earthquake.us.../calculator.php

Thanks. Good info. Learning everyday.

Its a bit weird that so many felt it if it was only 5.x - we used to get 5.2 quite regularly in Taiwan - about once a month usually, and although there was a slight feeling of movement there was no noise or violent shaking... I wonder if the early reports may not be quite accurate as to the magnitude. To hear and feel a violent earthquake from the Sumatran coast area all the way over in Thailand, I would have thought it would be much bigger than magnitudes in the 5's

Either way, I hope all are safe, both here in Thailand, and in Indonesia.

This quake was quite shallow, between 10-14km depth, therefore we are more likely to feel it.

I didn't even notice the one last week, but I definitely felt this one. At first I thought it was thunder (never felt a tremor before) then realised the room was shaking.

The Sumatran quake I am talking about, not this one that has apparently been recorded in Thalang, unless it means that the Sumatran quake had a strength of 4.3 here.....

Edited by nicky2012

Yes, in Chalong. Didn't feel the last one, but that was a hell of a bump!

same here, Nai Harn area, was more like a shake when a jet hit the sound barrier, not long, just a sec

BTW... has ANYBODY heard the TSUNAMI Towers working ANYWHERE on the island last week ???

Nai Harn Beach and Rawaqi Beach Towers not working, even if there is no Tsunami, the WARNING Towers should work...OR NOT?

wow just saw that was post number 1000 ... how much time wasted here in TV whistling.gif

<snip>

BTW... has ANYBODY heard the TSUNAMI Towers working ANYWHERE on the island last week ???

Nai Harn Beach and Rawaqi Beach Towers not working, even if there is no Tsunami, the WARNING Towers should work...OR NOT?

Yes I heard in Patong and wife heard in Kata. Towers DID work last week.

Frankly, not much need to be more polite; because *I am* one of those who were here in 2004 and me and my business suffered for a long time for it. I was on the beach on 11. April.

In one thing you are right: what is needed is people who inform themselves, instead of acting without information. The information has been and is available, and today even seconds after the felt earthquake, it was 99% sure there would be no tsunami. 30 minutes later, one could be really sure.

People still worrying now do simply overreact. You will burn yourself out this way; besides the totally negative impact on the feelings of tourists who have not been here, do not know better, and still see the locals/expats heading for the mountains 2 1/2 hours before a tsunami can even be here.

Unless the center of the quake is much closer, which most people have no way of knowing. IMO better safe than sorry - get to safety first and then sort out the "accurate information".

And bugger the negative impact on tourism, not worth taking into account whatsoever.

Unless the center of the quake is much closer, which most people have no way of knowing. IMO better safe than sorry - get to safety first and then sort out the "accurate information".

And bugger the negative impact on tourism, not worth taking into account whatsoever.

Thanks for cutting into the discussion late; but the point I made was, that *1 hour after the earth quake and still no tsunami warning*, there is no need to worry any more.

And it bothers me, when people who must know better, especially when they have prior experience of a tsunami, still react like chicken where the head is cut off. I can understand this with under-informed tourists, who cannot know better, and take the locals as an example of behavior.

A wave from Indonesia takes literally hours. Time to go home without panic, fire up the computer and get the *right* info, pack a few thinks like a blanket, rain jacket, and a few things to eat (maybe not *just* enough for yourself), then orderly proceed to the best-suited mountain/high rise/etc. In case of being a tourist, if you have the time and can, get your passport and some money, because in case of a real problem you will need it. You do not need to get to the mountain top or the mountain does no need to be hundreds of meters high, even a 10 meter wave does not go over the mountain top of Patong, anything with a steep incline so that you can get higher at need is good enough...

The scenario that you are advocating is (I have seen it on April 11): race your neighbor 4 cars deep on a tiny road to some mountain on the other side of the city, to hell with driving rules accidents and scratches, park your car in the middle of the road so that nobody can pass wherever you like because it is an emergency anyway, get out and sit there for hours, later complain that you had nothing to drink in the heat, got wet in the rain and nobody told you that there was no/will be no tsunami and let you sit there half of the night in the dark. Flee Phuket the next day even though there is an even tinier chance that an aftershock could create a tsunami because you feel like being a drama queen and you excitement was not bit enough yet and then complain, totally surprised, that travel insurance will pay you absolutely nothing because nothing actually happened.

As I said, I have experienced this and more just this April 11 -- which was a non-event -- and surely not comparable to 2004.

This is damaging for tourism for no good reason. If there *really* would be a tsunami, by all means, get away from it. But if you actually felt the quake itself, you *do know* that you have hours to do so instead of seconds.

• Like 2

Yes, in Chalong. Didn't feel the last one, but that was a hell of a bump!

same here, Nai Harn area, was more like a shake when a jet hit the sound barrier, not long, just a sec

wow just saw that was post number 1000 ... how much time wasted here in TV whistling.gif

The warning tower in Patong sounded indeed. Police and helpers were out very quick to alarm anybody who did not know what had happened and ushered stragglers on as it becamse obvious that there was indeed a tsunami warning out.

Even though the Thai news got it too early by an hour, the Pacific Warning Centers advisory that came out only minutes after the quake, that a potential tsunami could reach Phuket by 18:28, was nearly completely accurate (the biggest wave there was still barely visible).

A photo gallery with a picture of the wave is here, for those who want to inform themselves: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.276917172390675.64219.257587180990341&type=1

An earth quake 30 times weaker than the last one had from the outset little potential to create a bigger wave. So panic, already after having this information that the quake was less than 6, would be completely wrong.

The main risk to anybody being in Patong on April 11 was actually not the tsunami, but getting maimed in traffic (a risk in general) by some fleeing idiot and then emergency services being so bogged down by even more idiots, that you would be long bled out on the street before you can ever reach hospital.

• Like 2

Thanks for cutting into the discussion late; but the point I made was, that *1 hour after the earth quake and still no tsunami warning*, there is no need to worry any more.

And it bothers me, when people who must know better, especially when they have prior experience of a tsunami, still react like chicken where the head is cut off. I can understand this with under-informed tourists, who cannot know better, and take the locals as an example of behavior.

A wave from Indonesia takes literally hours. Time to go home without panic, fire up the computer and get the *right* info, pack a few thinks like a blanket, rain jacket, and a few things to eat (maybe not *just* enough for yourself), then orderly proceed to the best-suited mountain/high rise/etc. In case of being a tourist, if you have the time and can, get your passport and some money, because in case of a real problem you will need it. You do not need to get to the mountain top or the mountain does no need to be hundreds of meters high, even a 10 meter wave does not go over the mountain top of Patong, anything with a steep incline so that you can get higher at need is good enough...

The scenario that you are advocating is (I have seen it on April 11): race your neighbor 4 cars deep on a tiny road to some mountain on the other side of the city, to hell with driving rules accidents and scratches, park your car in the middle of the road so that nobody can pass wherever you like because it is an emergency anyway, get out and sit there for hours, later complain that you had nothing to drink in the heat, got wet in the rain and nobody told you that there was no/will be no tsunami and let you sit there half of the night in the dark. Flee Phuket the next day even though there is an even tinier chance that an aftershock could create a tsunami because you feel like being a drama queen and you excitement was not bit enough yet and then complain, totally surprised, that travel insurance will pay you absolutely nothing because nothing actually happened.

As I said, I have experienced this and more just this April 11 -- which was a non-event -- and surely not comparable to 2004.

This is damaging for tourism for no good reason. If there *really* would be a tsunami, by all means, get away from it. But if you actually felt the quake itself, you *do know* that you have hours to do so instead of seconds.

Did you felt this quake and heard the sound? I did not felt anything, but could hear the thunder like sound. Last week I was fully unaware of the whole quake when it happened.

You have already read on this topic that some people who have experienced more of the quakes, described this quake as weird. Could that mean that the quake was closer than the normal place? Maybe? On that moment there is a need to do decisions for actions. Sometimes these are over reacted, but that is what the history will tell later on. If a person have lost loved ones on last Tsunami, naturally they want to secure their and their loved ones lives without hesitation. That's action on the moment when not fully informed of the situation.

You are very well informed. You know where to find the information and you likely have one of the earth quake monitoring sites on you bookmarks. You also came here to seek for further information. You belong to the 0.42% of the Phuket population who are this well informed. Most of the people are not. They don't know where to go to online get more information. They can watch the TV, but how long they should wait for the action? What if the Tsunami alarms are not working so well this time?

Which brings me to the next question: Did any of the Phuket English radio stations mentioned the quake when it happened? I turned on 90.5 some time after the quake, but at least at the time, there was just music and adds, as normal. Pre-recorded program?

You are very well informed. You know where to find the information and you likely have one of the earth quake monitoring sites on you bookmarks. You also came here to seek for further information. You belong to the 0.42% of the Phuket population who are this well informed. Most of the people are not. They don't know where to go to online get more information.

Fair point. But still, fleeing blindly and unprepared is not the better option to making an informed decision after assessing the risk. As I said, the process of fleeing with the crazy crowd had -- on April 11 -- a much higher chance of getting you and your loved ones injured.

Also, nearly any of the Thai people I know have by now a smart phone; funny enough, I am the one without, with just a phone "for calling". Most of the Thais I know also play around on Facebook all day.

You want information in Thai, go here: http://www.facebook.com/EarthquakeTMD

or here: http://www.tmd.go.th/earthquake_report.php

It is not as difficult as you make it out to be; you find this info very easily if you search for earthquake information in Thai in Facebook or Google. This is the year 2012 and who is uninformed is in reality most likely just uninterested. This is even true for the Thais.

UPDATE:

5:50pm Phuket Governor has announced that it is safe and people can return to their homes - TR @SpringNews_TV

I feel so much safer now.

I would rather believe the girl in the bar who was trying to sell me more beer.

Saying no problem

Good jolt in Kamala.

Shops already closed.

Lond announcement in Thai language only.

The peasants are heading for the hills.

Massive over reaction.

I will await the "Tsunami" with a bottle of The Famous Grouse......

Can Grouse fly?

Heroines Monument area...this was a quick jolt but accompanied by an explosive sound. I've been in several large earthquakes through the years and this was by far the strangest to me in the abrupt yet powerful short jolt and sound...

I'm in the same area and thought a bomb had gone off. It certainly was bizarre. Tonight there's been a further two minor rumbles - which could have been thunder, but that doesn't usually shake the ground :-)

I find these events great way to learn new things.

I'm a bit confused of the thunder/bomb sounds which have been widely reported. Then again of the Thai authorities which reported the quake 2 minutes before the Indonesian one.

I went to read about the reporting on USGS site and what I understood is that they also rely on the information which is sent to them. I tought the list is generated automatically based on the seismographs, but I guess there is also human integration.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/faq/?faqID=359

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/faq/?categoryID=5

They also have an page, where people can report quake experiences. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/

As I would like to know if there really was an separate quake at Thalang, I made an report already. You might consider doing the same as I had to fill the form and tell that I did not feel anything, just heard the sound. I also added link to Bangkok post news article and wrote that others in Phuket have felt the shaking.