Retiring In The "correct" Location

utapaortnab

Howdy,

B4 I moved permanently to Ban Sakanam, Chiayaphum Thailand this year, I had travelled to many places on this planet. Due to my work, (including installing Satellite Communications and Microwave Commo Stations, and working five years as a Personnel Administrator for McDonnell Douglas), I have worked in, lived in or visited 39 countries and all 50 United States.

For the last 10 years or so of my working life, I started looking around for where I might retire. I considered Florida, Texas and California in the United States, Thailand, Philippines, Portugal, Greece (islands), Cyprus, and Macau. At the time of my retirement I'd already made 30 trips to Thailand and it seemed the logical place to retire as I love the people here and the way of life.

Now, I'm NOT the typical expat in that I don't drink or smoke and really never did whore around as some expats do "occasionally"....lol

As luck would have it, on my first trip to Thailand after I retired, I met my present wife, (Jan 1995) and by Sept, we were married. We moved to San Antonio Texas and then Yuma AZ, then returned to San Antonio spending 10 years living in the U.S. B4 moving permanently back to Chiayaphum on my 36th visit to Thailand.

Truthfully, I could NOT have moved here even two years ago because there was not the "infastructure" in place for me to have enjoyed life here on a permanent basis.

But now, with the advent of having a mall in town that includes Tesco-Lotus, having Foodland here now, having many ADSL internet cafes available, and our village (Ban Sakanam) having reliable electricity, running water etc. it has become "quite livable".

In fact, I wouldn't think of living anywhere else. Now, that said, we do retirement a little different than most expats w/Thai wives. We spend about two weeks/month in Chiayaphum and travel throughout Thailand/Asia at will the other two weeks of every month. (Just returned from Christmas Shopping in Singapore) and we spend time each month in Bangkok, Udon Thani, Korat, Pattaya, and other locations at will.

I guess it took me so long (36 trips) to Thailand to make up my mind to actually retire here mostly because I knew Bangkok was NOT an option for retirement (love Thailand/hate Bangkok) and Pattaya Beach, where I spent the majority of the first 35 trips, also does not offer the lifestyle I wanted for my retirement years.

Sure would love to hear from other expats, who like me, decided to retire in Isaan, or any other location in Asia. Would love to hear what steered them to that decision.

Ken Bower

Chiayaphum Thailand

//Edit - url removed//

I've never cared for the congested urban lifestyle and have always preferred the quite and relaxation of country living, but I must admit I have an attraction with Bangkok. I believe it's the vitality that permeates the entire city.

Ideally, I'd be living near Loei in some quaint mountain setting with a condo in Bangkok. I would love the cooler climate which the mountains afford during the winter months (though it may well be hotter during the summer) and still be able to enjoy the excitement I feel when I'm in town.

Maintaining a condo would also have the practical aspect of having a place to layover when flying in and out of Thailand. I couldn't imagine making the 6-8 hour drive before hopping on a plane with another 26-30 hours to go, or vice versa.

It's also good to plan your property around future development as well. Probably not the best idea to have your house, pool, garage, etc. too close to the road (even though at present, the street might just be a sleepy two lane country road). If you have the luxury to be out in the middle of nowhere, buy up as much of your neighboring land (across the street as well) while it's still "middle of nowhere" prices. 30-40 years can pass in the blink of an eye. You don't want to be 70-80 and then all of a sudden there is driving range (or maybe you'll like it), animal hospital, karaoke megaplex, etc. opening up next door.

:o

> Now, I'm NOT the typical expat in that I don't drink or smoke and really

> never did whore around as some expats do

Oh.. I obviously feel less qualified now to come up with an answer.. You're just too different. I mean, advising an Amish family on where to best settle in Silicon Valley, sure, but what you put before us here really leaves me scratching my head. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

I've traveled all over the world, though not as extensively as you and have made probably a dozen trips to Thailand over the years. I've decided to settle down with a Thai girl and someday plan to retire to Thailand, although that will still be quite some time in the future.

I've known for a while that I wanted to retire someplace in Asia, but only recently decided on Thailand. There are numerous pluses that Thailand has to offer to me personally and very few minuses. But as with you, I don't think living in Bangkok will be an option for me. I'll probably end up in Isaan, although somewhere near Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai might be possible.

Some of the reasons for my decision to retire someday to Thailand are that I enjoy Thai culture, love the food, love the Thai smiles and easy going attitude. My reason for not choosing Bangkok is that I dislike big cities. To me they are noisy, dirty, and unpleasant. I've lived and worked in the big city for most of my life and want to spend my later years someplace more peaceful and quiet. (With quiet meaning void of big city noises. I'm sure there are plenty of noisy chickens, farm equipment, etc. where I will retire.)

The thing I like about the Chiang Mai area is the cooler temperatures, and with Chiang Mai being the second largest city there's lots of conveniences there that we farangs are used to. Just about anything you need can be bought there.

The thing I like about the Isaan area is that it's a little more off the beaten track and not so many tourists and the people in general seem to be a bit more friendly and sincere. And being in Isaan just leaves you with a different feeling. Sort of like your living in the past in the old wild west or something. It's so attractive to me because it has all Thailand has to offer, but is so very different than the big city life.

If I have the resources when I retire, I guess I'd probably like to divide my time between Chiang Mai area and Isaan, with a home in each and with frequent trips to other parts of Thailand/Asia as you are doing. The hot summer months in Isaan are what will take some getting used to for me, so spending those months in Chiang Mai or somplace a bit cooler would be preferable to me.

Between now and when I retire I plan to make many more trips to Thailand, and spend time in various places and at differnt times of the year before making my final decision.

I guess it took me so long (36 trips) to Thailand to make up my mind to actually retire here mostly because I knew Bangkok was NOT an option for retirement (love Thailand/hate Bangkok) and Pattaya Beach, where I spent the majority of the first 35 trips, also does not offer the lifestyle I wanted for my retirement years.

Sure would love to hear from other expats, who like me, decided to retire in Isaan, or any other location in Asia. Would love to hear what steered them to that decision.

Why on earth visit the largest brothel in the world if you don't drink, smoke, or pick up whores? Are you crazy?

Most expats that I meet in Isaan have not made a choice about living there. It has been the one wearing the trousers in the relationship.

Chayapum is a nice place, but a bit isolated for us.

Good luck.

I too have worked in a lot of countries but not the USA and I first met my girlfriend, now my wife, around 12 years ago.

I worked in Thailand on and off for around 5 years and knew that I would live here permanently.

We live in the Central region, 6 km from the nearest village, 60 km southwest of Khampaeng Phet and 125 km northwest of Nakhon Sawan.

We live here because my wife had some land and we bought a bit more and built a house or two and we are slowly building up the farm.

In the village there are a couple of internet cafes, a bank and a 7/11 and one karaoke place which is the night life up here.

The nearest landline is 4 1/2 km away, I can go 60 km to get the Nation or the BKK Post, or 125km to the nearest Bic C and Makro.

I dont wear a watch and I have to look at my mobile to find out what day/date it is.

GPRS works after a fashion.

There are some things I miss but I get into Nakhon Sawan every 10 days or so and 400km down to Bangkok about once a month.

My wife drinks and smokes, I drink but quit smoking about 35 years ago, probably the most successful thing I acheived really.

Why do we live out in the sticks, because it is where my wife wanted to live. This gave me a choice of go with her or quit her and the family and live a life of drinking, going around bars, doing a visa run once a month and being a whinging old fart the same as I read about on TV.

I love the quiet life up here but I would live in Bangkok though you would have to pay me a lot to do so.

Sign me up as happy in the boonies.

:o:D:D

ll be an option for me. I'll probably end up in Isaan, although somewhere near Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai might be possible.

The thing I like about the Chiang Mai area is the cooler temperatures, and with Chiang Mai being the second largest city there's lots of conveniences there that we farangs are used to. Just about anything you need can be bought there.

If I have the resources when I retire, I guess I'd probably like to divide my time between Chiang Mai area and Isaan, with a home in each and with frequent trips to other parts of Thailand/Asia as you are doing. The hot summer months in Isaan are what will take some getting used to for me, so spending those months in Chiang Mai or somplace a bit cooler would be preferable to me.

My decision has been made for the Chiang Mai area. Thats my wifes decision and its final :o

I really like the area, but my druthers would have me in the Nong Khai area. I really liked it up there for a multiplicity of reasons.

But we'll go to the Chiang Mai area and be perfectly content with the odd visit to Issan. I love my wifes family so Chiang Mai will be a pleasant way to finish the final chapters in my life over the next thirty (I hope) years. :D

The initial post makes a good point: that countries or towns that were unliveable/unsustainable just 10 or 20 years ago, have finally gotten modernized enough to suit Western tastes. Such as a big grocery store, internet, mobile phones, more paved roads, etc.

Another point that many have pointed out here is that Thailand has so many places, you're sure to find at least one or two that are suitable for your unique needs. 'Unique' indeed, since nobody wants exactly the same thing, especially you and your partner.

As for Chiang Mai, if Bangkok did not exist, many people would say that Chiang Mai is too big, crowded, polluted, etc. And too many tourists. Now I've moved to Hua Hin, which is crowded, too many tourists, etc. Oh well, you can't win them all.