Senior Pheu Thai MP Advises Thaksin To Forfeit 46 Billion Baht For Amnesty

webfact

Senior Pheu Thai MP Advises Thaksin to Forfeit 46 Billion Baht for Amnesty

BANGKOK: -- Pheu Thai Party List MP Sanoh Thienthong advises former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to forfeit his claim on the 46 billion baht seized from him in order to receive amnesty.

He also urges the government to move forward the reconciliation bill regardless of the resistance from the Opposition.

Pheu Thai Party List MP Sanoh Thienthong disclosed that the amnesty bill is likely to be proposed by the Pheu Thai Party, not by the government.

He asserted that the bill will certainly be introduced because the current condition is ripe for national reconciliation, as the government and the armed forces are having an understanding.

Sanoh added that the proposed political amnesty should not be opposed by the public if the recommendations from the House reconciliation committee are followed.

The senior Pheu Thai MP also said that the resistance from the Opposition's Democrat Party on the bill should be ignored for the sake of reconciliation.

Sanoh also alleged that former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra may have to forfeit his claim on 46 billion baht seized from him in order to receive amnesty.

He believes that the ex-premier could return to Thailand only once the amnesty bill has been passed.

About the issue of charter change, Sanoh said that the drafting process is being exploited for personal gains.

He pointed to the 1997 Charter in which the independent monitoring organizations were given too much power and resulted in legal confusions.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-04-17

footer_n.gif

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose another way of saving money for the government would be to release ALL the prisoners irrespective of their crime and grant them an unconditional pardon.rolleyes.gif

That way the prisons will not be overcrowded and not become schools in improving your criminal skills, plus the saving in staff costs would be tremendous.

whistling.gif

Of course Thaksin has already lost the money in court, and he has no claim on it. He can SAY he has one, but why should he get amnesty in exchange for not stating a claim for what he can NOT legally claim?

Sanoh is just throwing out ideas in case someone bites down hard on them. Like 'Thaksin can buy off his charges with money he's already lost in court...' Amazing logic. It also has much to do with the slippery eel way laws can be reinterpreted by the highest bidder. Likely the bane of Thailands very existence.

This is not about Thaksin getting his money back, that's just the spoils of war, he wants control of the country, anything less and he's still lost face. If he gains complete control, behind the scenes or in front, he can just TAKE the money and call it his.

Funniest part is Sanoh says:

"He pointed to the 1997 Charter in which the independent monitoring organizations were given too much power and resulted in legal confusions."

Yes, Thaksin ran roughshod over the checks and balances and couldn't be prosecuted,

and yet Sanoh says that's because they were too strong... and confused him.

It's confusing to NOT get to steal from the public coffers and get away with it?

Balderdash, poppycock, bilge, and merde de toro.

Poor Sanoh, such confusing times for the old guy.

These dinosaurs of Thai politics just need to fade away for real progress to happen.

My bet is that he gets the 46 billion back, and if he has to write in the constitution "1: Thailand shall pay Thaksin 46 billion".

But how about that: Forget the 46 billion and pay in 180 Billion and every Thai get 3000 Baht cash on his hands. As symbolic pay back of stohlen money. Or make it 270 billion. A while ago they estimated him 500 Billion rich so that shouldn't be a problem.

be aware that reconciliation and amnesty are not the same thing. amnesty is given by the Monarch at his discretion, not by a bunch of Thaksins buddies. reconciliation involves the Thai people, again not just Thaksins buddies in parliament. when the reconciliation bill is passed and supported by a referendum, I will cease opposition to his return. I won't like it, but I will accept it.

be aware that reconciliation and amnesty are not the same thing. amnesty is given by the Monarch at his discretion, not by a bunch of Thaksins buddies. reconciliation involves the Thai people, again not just Thaksins buddies in parliament. when the reconciliation bill is passed and supported by a referendum, I will cease opposition to his return. I won't like it, but I will accept it.

unless you are thai national i can not see your support or opposition having any weight what so ever

You are not correct, amnesty can be also given from the government. As already discussed, putting amnesty in the constitution.

You can also put in the constitution that the parliament can give amnesty to everyone, or just to people which name starts with T.

Of course it is against any sense of "right and wrong" and makes Thailand like a complete joke but it is possible. They can write every nonsense and even things that are contracdicting which each other in the constitution.....

"Pheu Thai Party List MP Sanoh Thienthong disclosed that the amnesty bill is likely to be proposed by the Pheu Thai Party, not by the government."

----

They are one and the same. What planet is this idiot on?

-mel.

• Like 1

Absolutely ###### ludicrous.

The money is not Thaksin's to forfeit. It has allready been forfeited and belongs to the Thai people.

And the proposition of trying to play by the rules, or write the rules as as you go, coming from a Thienthong makes it more laughable. The Thienthong's are the rules in their patch of the woods.

Edited by RogueExpat

Great news, one step closer in bringing Thaksin home. So he could be home in time for his birthday and what a party that will be.

Will it be a national holiday so everyone can join in? And what happens when the party's over?

We can do some dodgy land deals, plan another deadly war on drugs, plan another massacre in the south and start making preparations to install Thaksins brother as army chief. Ha,ha,ha its such fun being part of the anti-Thaksin brigade. Next would be to solve the poverty gap in the nation.

Absolutely ###### ludicrous.

The money is not Thaksin's to forfeit. It has allready been forfeited and belongs to the Thai people.

And the proposition of trying to play by the rules, or write the rules as as you go, coming from a Thienthong makes it more laughable. The Thienthong's are the rules in their patch of the woods.

Actually, not to nit-pick, but you'll find much of that money is in the confiscation hands of UK and Swiss banks.

I wonder if they'll invest a bit in Manchester City, for old times sakes? cheesy.gif

-mel.

It's funny though, the timing, Thaksin can see the days are numbered for this administration, so he is giving the political mafia dons/heavyweights instructions to get him back to power at any cost, so he can steer the rudderless ship.

46 Billion - who cares? Some estimates put the cost of winning the last election at more than five times that figure.

He knows he can make that back, with ample change, in twelve months with his own hands on the steering wheel.

Pheu Thai Party List MP Sanoh Thienthong disclosed that the amnesty bill is likely to be proposed by the Pheu Thai Party, not by the government."

Eh? <deleted>, so we have 2 Pheu Thai Parties? One running the country one not?

He asserted that the bill will certainly be introduced because the current condition is ripe for national reconciliation, as the government and the armed forces are having an understanding.

That would be "Our lord and master gets off scott free and none of you get prosecuted for anything you might have done"

Sanoh added that the proposed political amnesty should not be opposed by the public if the recommendations from the House reconciliation committee are followed.

Why not? they are the voters, it is their right to disagree if they wish.

The senior Pheu Thai MP also said that the resistance from the Opposition's Democrat Party on the bill should be ignored for the sake of reconciliation.

Again, <deleted>? So how do you get reconciliation if you ignore the other side?

Sanoh also alleged that former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra may have to forfeit his claim on 46 billion baht seized from him in order to receive amnesty.

At last something vaguely sensible. Yes he stole most of it by having his cronies change the telecoms regulations so yes he has to pay it back... and probably a lot more truth be told.

He pointed to the 1997 Charter in which the independent monitoring organizations were given too much power and resulted in legal confusions.

Wow and I thought it was the other way around as the Big T managed to worm his way around all the 1997 clauses meant to stop people like him abusing power.

Absolute brain donor

• Like 1

Great news, one step closer in bringing Thaksin home. So he could be home in time for his birthday and what a party that will be.

A red party in more way than one, methinks.

The proposal mentioned in the OP does kind of sound like the kind of Thai style logic that many people might buy though. Reminds me of people in the early days of Thaksin's power who used to say he's so rich he doesn't need more money so he won't be corrupt! rolleyes.gif

Edited by Jingthing

Of course Thaksin has already lost the money in court, and he has no claim on it. He can SAY he has one, but why should he get amnesty in exchange for not stating a claim for what he can NOT legally claim?

Sanoh is just throwing out ideas in case someone bites down hard on them. Like 'Thaksin can buy off his charges with money he's already lost in court...' Amazing logic. It also has much to do with the slippery eel way laws can be reinterpreted by the highest bidder. Likely the bane of Thailands very existence.

This is not about Thaksin getting his money back, that's just the spoils of war, he wants control of the country, anything less and he's still lost face. If he gains complete control, behind the scenes or in front, he can just TAKE the money and call it his.

Funniest part is Sanoh says:

"He pointed to the 1997 Charter in which the independent monitoring organizations were given too much power and resulted in legal confusions."

Yes, Thaksin ran roughshod over the checks and balances and couldn't be prosecuted,

and yet Sanoh says that's because they were too strong... and confused him.

It's confusing to NOT get to steal from the public coffers and get away with it?

Balderdash, poppycock, bilge, and merde de toro.

Poor Sanoh, such confusing times for the old guy.

These dinosaurs of Thai politics just need to fade away for real progress to happen.

I agree. That money is gone but to look like he will forfeit the money. Back in power he would make ten times the amount of taxes he tried to steal.

• Like 1