Mint 12 Wireless Connection

KhaoNiaw

I'm using a Linux Mint 12 / Windows 7 dual boot and have a wireless adapter to connect to Smartzone wifi in the apartment building.

On Windows the connection is made immediately. Mint automatically recognized the adapter out of the box, and can see the available connections but hardly ever connects. It keeps trying to connect and the connection is occasionally made. All of the Smartzone connections appear greyed out but a couple of other protected networks show in colour.

Suggestions to get a consistent connection from Mint would be welcome.

My condolences on having Smartzone as the provider in your apartment. We have, too, and haven't yet had a 24-hour period of continuous service since the (Western) New Year. Theirs is an evil business model.

My condolences on having Smartzone as the provider in your apartment. We have, too, and haven't yet had a 24-hour period of continuous service since the (Western) New Year. Theirs is an evil business model.

After a few days of use, I'm pretty happy with them. Following miks advice above, I'm getting immediate connections in Mint and Windows and the speeds seem pretty good. The connections haven't dropped out but the longest I've needed at a stretch is 4-5 hours.

After a few days of use, I'm pretty happy with them. Following miks advice above, I'm getting immediate connections in Mint and Windows and the speeds seem pretty good. The connections haven't dropped out but the longest I've needed at a stretch is 4-5 hours.

Get back to me after a couple of months - or maybe it's just our building that has so many problems. The real test is how they respond IF you have a problem. They are more than happy to have you check your DNS settings, reboot your computer, offer to reset the access point you are using (even though you have good connection speeds and a valid, DHCP-supplied ip address. If you really push, they will call the office of your building, and tell them to unplug and replug the router and their 'server'.

Then, after none of that fixes it, and IF, by some form of magic you call back and get to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about, they MIGHT fix it at their end, which is invariably where the problem lies.

A pox on them.