New Airport At Samui

Why not buy out BA and extent the runway out into the bay. Samui really needs a runway to take large international aircraft.

You would have to offsett the runway from the Threshold at the Southern end by about 10-15 degrees so that it would be more a NW alignment rather than Northerly.this would enable heavy departures to meet the obstacle clearance criteria (big Buddah and Koh Som). It would mean cutting through some areas of Bangrak and require traffic control across the main road. In my opinion very feasible and nothing that a good Civil engineer couldn't sort out..biggrin.png

Ahhh ... traffic control. That, sadly, is where it all falls apart. Have you seen these guys at traffic lights? Or the roundabout? And some of them are pilots!w00t.gif

A whistle trying to control a 747-400?laugh.png

OK raise it as per Azores and have a tunnel under the runway!

And nothing can go wrong..go wrong

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangrak Bob, who would want to live near a new international airport. Anyhow, a bridge sounds good, i dont think its too deep out there and the Chinese have proved that they can build massive sea bridges.

Well not me, but i'm sure that plenty would like to build resorts and bars around Taling Ngam and Lipa Noi if the airport was close by. I'm pretty sure the current airport construction considered chaweng beach before planning where to build, obviously amongst other things.

Why not buy out BA and extent the runway out into the bay. Samui really needs a runway to take large international aircraft.

You would have to offsett the runway from the Threshold at the Southern end by about 10-15 degrees so that it would be more a NW alignment rather than Northerly.this would enable heavy departures to meet the obstacle clearance criteria (big Buddah and Koh Som). It would mean cutting through some areas of Bangrak and require traffic control across the main road. In my opinion very feasible and nothing that a good Civil engineer couldn't sort out..biggrin.png

Ahhh ... traffic control. That, sadly, is where it all falls apart. Have you seen these guys at traffic lights? Or the roundabout? And some of them are pilots!w00t.gif

A whistle trying to control a 747-400?laugh.png

OK raise it as per Azores and have a tunnel under the runway!

And nothing can go wrong..go wrong

could always extend the runway out into the ocean as a few airports have done, tunnel under the runway for traffic. Boarding of the top deck of the A380's could prove difficult though. LHR USM, LAX USM, JFK USM every thing is possible

• Like 1

The idea of an Airport on the west side of Samui is ludicrous.... in my humble opinion....

Stop and think about the extra traffic having to head to the other parts of the island.... The taxi drivers for one, will have a "hay day", charging people to get to Chawang for instance..... laugh.pngthere won't be much saved!!!!blink.png

Traffic is bad enough at times, driving through Maenam or Lamai... for those wanting to get to the centre of the universe (AKA Chawang!!!) rolleyes.gif

The quiet side of the island gone forever too....... sad.png

The idea of an Airport on the west side of Samui is ludicrous.... in my humble opinion....

Stop and think about the extra traffic having to head to the other parts of the island.... The taxi drivers for one, will have a "hay day", charging people to get to Chawang for instance..... laugh.pngthere won't be much saved!!!!blink.png

Traffic is bad enough at times, driving through Maenam or Lamai... for those wanting to get to the centre of the universe (AKA Chawang!!!) rolleyes.gif

Yep, then add the fuel farms, the terminals and all the infrastructure which is already in short supply...water, electricity and waste disposal.

The list is endless and will mainly benefit those who presently own the development land.

No justification whatsoever can be made for siting another airport on this island. bah.gif

• Like 1

There's not going to be a second airport you know. Even the authorities aren't that stupid.

Well that's good news! The best all day.....thumbsup.gif..... I bet BKK Airlines is happy too....cheesy.gifbiggrin.png

...... but I still say KP is not going to be so lucky getting it's first one! sad.png how ever small it is! w00t.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

There's not going to be a second airport you know. Even the authorities aren't that stupid.

Well that's good news! The best all day.....thumbsup.gif..... I bet BKK Airlines is happy too....cheesy.gifbiggrin.png

...... but I still say KP is not going to be so lucky getting it's first one! sad.png how ever small it is! w00t.gif

BKK Airways will sell their rights to the airport eventually...likely to finance other routes and give a decent payoff before a less favourable government happens. Don't ask me how long this will take though...

BKK Airways will sell their rights to the airport eventually...likely to finance other routes and give a decent payoff before a less favourable government happens. Don't ask me how long this will take though...

Smokie. I'm really impressed as to how you know so much ,,er any chance of some help with the lottery numbers?? rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Smokie. I'm really impressed as to how you know so much ,,er any chance of some help with the lottery numbers?? rolleyes.gif

If he was really that good on the lottery he would own Bandit Airways giggle.gif

No I would build that second airport myself! biggrin.png

• Like 2

Why not Marstons, we only get the scraps here via Bangkok Air. Phuket are getting longhaul in flights, but we are at the mercy of Bangkok Air. A better airport would stop this theft.

I suppose you are one of the ones who reckon that there is not enough land for an airport. Well i have news for you, last time i looked, there were thousands of rai propping up a few useless coconut palms with just about nothing else there but rubbish. Its not at though we had a thriving agricultural industry or large Palm Oil projects. Tourism is what props Samui up so we need a decent airport full stop!

Spindle..................It appears that your attitude is "I am alright jack, stuff the rest"

Wow! A bit vitriolic OS. Not sure how I'm alright ! Stuff who exactly?

You got some land down South perchance?giggle.gif

You been checking on me ain't ya ! sick.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Driving through Namuang a couple of days ago, i was surprised to see how wide they are making the new road, with extensions on both sides, anyone have any idea why ? There must be enough room for 4 lanes there.

I am sure that i read a few months ago that a group of businessmen have bought up a very large area of land in the Donsak area , to build an airport. Anyone know anything about this ?

Driving through Namuang a couple of days ago, i was surprised to see how wide they are making the new road, with extensions on both sides, anyone have any idea why ? There must be enough room for 4 lanes there.

I assumed the idea is to provide additional separate lanes for both motorbikes and pushbikes. I've seen roads like that on my travels around Thailand, and I think it's a good idea.

I assumed the idea is to provide additional separate lanes for both motorbikes and pushbikes. I've seen roads like that on my travels around Thailand, and I think it's a good idea.

We already had that on the island. There was a white line painted on the ring road for most of the way around the island. All that happened was that everyone used it as a parking lane whistling.gif

You can still see it in some places. It's under the tarmac in the main areas now.

Edited by Tropicalevo

Actually, now that you mention it - maybe there still is a section visible heading north just out of Nathon? Haven't ridden that way in about seven weeks, but I think theres a left-hand bend and a bridge, followed by a heap of parked cars...

Sure looks to me like they might get that half of the island right.... not the rush it was in the past to get the roads built.... places like Maenam will never change now... always a "rush hour" bottle necksad.png

Proper planning perhaps? The whole section from Nanthon to Hau Thanon... drainage, black water pipe all in before the completion of tarmacking.... amazing! blink.pngthumbsup.gif

Picked up the latest Samui Express yesterday and according to Mayor Ramnate "new airport unlikely".

He goes on to suggest that Donsak would be a better place for it.

So if it's in the Samui Express and the mayor says so ........

...........there you go.

whistling.gif

According to my trusted sources this top secret project has already been approved. A large international airport just outside of Don Sak. BA will have zero say in it, and the fatcats can still fly direct, as internationally insane prices. So BA continues their mafia route, while we are offered a competitive alternative. Kudos to the Surat Thani govt. for spearheading this project.

The mayor of Koh Samui has just said that, "yes we need a new airport, but there is not enough room on the island as cutting into the mountain side would cause problems to the ecology"..........surprise ! surprise !

He then says " a better place would be over near Donsak, as it would service the surrounding area and Koh Samui" surprise ! surprise! again.

Its a fact that a group of Bangkok and local businessmen have bought a large tract of land at Donsak with the idea of doing just that !

I am wondering, did the mayor know of this or not, but i am thinking that it would be very profitable for him to support this business venture.................Call me cynical, but this is how things work in Thailand.

The mayor of Koh Samui has just said that, "yes we need a new airport, but there is not enough room on the island as cutting into the mountain side would cause problems to the ecology"..........surprise ! surprise !

He then says " a better place would be over near Donsak, as it would service the surrounding area and Koh Samui" surprise ! surprise! again.

Its a fact that a group of Bangkok and local businessmen have bought a large tract of land at Donsak with the idea of doing just that !

I am wondering, did the mayor know of this or not, but i am thinking that it would be very profitable for him to support this business venture.................Call me cynical, but this is how things work in Thailand.

is it now time to start buying up land in donsak ??? ...... could be the new Costa Del Thailand... with a nice airport with direct ' cheap flights '

is it now time to start buying up land in donsak ??? ...... could be the new Costa Del Thailand... with a nice airport with direct ' cheap flights '

Well, i have recently seen advertisements for blocks of beachfront land in the Donsak area, maybe its already starting !

Well, i have recently seen advertisements for blocks of beachfront land in the Donsak area, maybe its already starting !

Yep, what better way than spreading rumors of a new airport, to push the price of your land up. Next we will be hearing how Lionel Messi purchased an off plan villa in Donsak or Khanom...whistling.gif

• Like 1