Populist Policies Boomerang On Yingluck Govt

webfact

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your standard fashion to criticize any initiative by this PM.

Do you really thing it was the initiative of Yingluck?

So which "initiative(s)" of Yingluck or "her" party would you praise and why? Or is your task here only to defend Pheu Thai and the Red Shirts against criticism?

Do you have any reason to state that the Women Development Fund is not an initiative of this PM?

There are plenty of things to criticize this government for, but Animatic's criticism of this action is more than just a bit gratuitous. It is a reasonable program and appears to be very well received, but he manages to crap on it anyway. That is gratuitous IMO.

As for things I personally would criticize, I am sure we'll have a chance for that... For example, if someone wanted to come out and sing the praises of their corporate tax cut as compensation for the minimum wage increase, then I'm sure we could have a lively discussion. But that doesn't seem to happen much here.

I know of at least 3 people who're getting the full 100k for an entry level Honda City, Toyota Yaris and Ford Fiesta.

Those models qualify for the 100k baht. Some others don't. See the attached file.

looks like a pretty good list. Is that the full list? I didn't see anything that gets less than 53000 B.

Do you have any reason to state that the Women Development Fund is not an initiative of this PM?

I don't have any evidence that it was not Yingluck's idea, nor do I have evidence that it was. But based on my observations of her statements and performance as a Prime Minister, I think the chance that any major social program was her idea is low.

As for things I personally would criticize, I am sure we'll have a chance for that... For example, if someone wanted to come out and sing the praises of their corporate tax cut as compensation for the minimum wage increase, then I'm sure we could have a lively discussion. But that doesn't seem to happen much here.

Why don't you support the corporate tax cuts? It increases the profit margins of the businesses of the Shinawatra clan who fund the Red Shirt movement.

I know of at least 3 people who're getting the full 100k for an entry level Honda City, Toyota Yaris and Ford Fiesta.

Those models qualify for the 100k baht. Some others don't. See the attached file.

looks like a pretty good list. Is that the full list? I didn't see anything that gets less than 53000 B.

I beleive that it's the full list.

I beleive that it's the full list.

thanks.

I don't have any evidence that it was not Yingluck's idea, nor do I have evidence that it was. But based on my observations of her statements and performance as a Prime Minister, I think the chance that any major social program was her idea is low.

Why don't you support the corporate tax cuts? It increases the profit margins of the businesses of the Shinawatra clan who fund the Red Shirt movement.

across the board, 7% tax cut seems more like a pay-off to the business lobby than a plan to compensate for a minimum wage increase.

• it goes to any corp that pays taxes whether they have a significant cost increases due to the min wage or zero increases
  • for many corporations, 7% more of their profits could be many magnitudes greater than their increased costs

Essentially, there is no direct link between the min-wage increase and the tax cut.

As for the women's development program, I guess if the PM gets to take the blame for policies, maybe she gets to take some credit for policies, too. As she has been very vocal about this program in particular, and it fits with her discourse about women in general, I think that she can be credited with getting the idea turned into a program. The idea of targeted aid for women is not a new one, so if you want to try to say that it was not her "idea", then you could do that, but that doesn't diminish the fact that it is a program specific to and launched under her government.

across the board, 7% tax cut seems more like a pay-off to the business lobby than a plan to compensate for a minimum wage increase.

• it goes to any corp that pays taxes whether they have a significant cost increases due to the min wage or zero increases
  • for many corporations, 7% more of their profits could be many magnitudes greater than their increased costs

Essentially, there is no direct link between the min-wage increase and the tax cut.

As for the women's development program, I guess if the PM gets to take the blame for policies, maybe she gets to take some credit for policies, too. As she has been very vocal about this program in particular, and it fits with her discourse about women in general, I think that she can be credited with getting the idea turned into a program. The idea of targeted aid for women is not a new one, so if you want to try to say that it was not her "idea", then you could do that, but that doesn't diminish the fact that it is a program specific to and launched under her government.

In my village we had some officers for this program. A lot of papers, even the officers didn't understand what they had to do, couldn't give explanations to the concerned women. Fake, fake, fake the conclusion. Tlansford it's your level.

Just because it is what has been promised, doesn't mean it is what they "are getting". As far as i am aware nobody has received anything yet. Le't see if the government manage to stick to their word or not.

Just because it is what has been promised, doesn't mean it is what they "are getting". As far as i am aware nobody has received anything yet. Le't see if the government manage to stick to their word or not.

By "are getting" I mean it's a done deal. The Yaris is actually being picked up at the weekend. I just checked with the buyer. That's when I realised what a sad bastard I was becoming by actually phoning a friend to confirm some information to then pass on to somebody I've never met on an anonymous internet forum.

Signing out.thumbsup.gif

Edited by mca

-- deleted due to quote levels --

In my village we had some officers for this program. A lot of papers, even the officers didn't understand what they had to do, couldn't give explanations to the concerned women. Fake, fake, fake the conclusion. Tlansford it's your level.

based on your different posts about your village, it sounds like your village is a terrible place to live.

;)

The calculated figure for the last version of the rice pledging scheme was 37% reaching the intended recipients. Should we ever get an accurate figure, I wonder if the women's development program will exceed that.

Somehow I have a sneaking suspicion that much of it will end up in the hands of relatives and cronies of those making the selections. Are there even any criteria as to who should receive this largesse?

There is a direct link. The reason for the tax cut is to compensate businesses for the minimum wage increase.

Sent from my shoe phone

There is a direct link. The reason for the tax cut is to compensate businesses for the minimum wage increase.

Sent from my shoe phone

IMHO you should amend that to " The stated reason for the tax cut is to compensate businesses for the minimum wage increase."

By "are getting" I mean it's a done deal. The Yaris is actually being picked up at the weekend. I just checked with the buyer. That's when I realised what a sad bastard I was becoming by actually phoning a friend to confirm some information to then pass on to somebody I've never met on an anonymous internet forum.

Signing out.thumbsup.gif

They are getting the car, the tax rebate of 100k they are not... well not yet anyway. Perhaps they will, perhaps they won't. As i say, we'll have to wait and see.

Cheers Seems like a lot of the most popular cars on the road qualify for the full amount,

And the most popular, by far, vehicles, the pick-up trucks?

If the government was trying to focus on helping the rural farmers and the tens of thousands of independent shop house entrepreneurs, those people aren't interested in a small hatchback car like Honda Jazz.

Edited by Buchholz

Thank you for that. Interesting that the smaller, more economical, more fuel-efficient 1.2L vehicles receive a significantly smaller tax deduction.

Do you know if there is a separate list for pick-up trucks, the most popular and common vehicles in Thailand, as there were not any on that list and as the earlier news article pointed out, the low-end trucks received 10K while the fully decked out 4 x 4 trucks received 100K?

Edited by Buchholz

Taking that at face value, it's amazing then that women organizations are so disenfranchised with her as PM.

Thailand's First Female PM No Victory For Feminism

Feminists Not Elated About Yingluck

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Taking that at face value, it's amazing then that women organizations are so disenfranchised with her as PM.

http://www.thaivisa....y-for-feminism/

http://www.thaivisa....about-yingluck/

Nor should they be if they strive for equality, with a woman chosen for her qualifications and achievements rather than in spite of the lack. She would have a better claim to "her government" if the ministers weren't chosen from abroad, and she actually entered parliament and participated in it. Instead she gads about, much more like a (non-US style) president. Thailand already has a head of state TYVM.

• Like 1

Nor should they be if they strive for equality, with a woman chosen for her qualifications and achievements rather than in spite of the lack. She would have a better claim to "her government" if the ministers weren't chosen from abroad, and she actually entered parliament and participated in it. Instead she gads about, much more like a (non-US style) president. Thailand already has a head of state TYVM.

If the topic was why was Yingluck elected as PM the above would almost be a good post. Although I don't understand "rather than in spite of the lack." Double negatives have always confused me.

f

If the topic was why was Yingluck elected as PM the above would almost be a good post. Although I don't understand "rather than in spite of the lack." Double negatives have always confused me.

If the topic was "Yingluck fights the trend of electing feminists PMs" the above would be a great post.

I'll let you know after the weekend what happened and what she actually had to shell out rix.

Mate, I've already been through the process so i can assure you, the tax rebate is something that you have to apply for after having already made the purchase at the full price. And nobody, starting with the salesperson at the showroom, to the civil servant that accepts your tax rebate application, has any idea if and when the rebate will actually be forthcoming. There is complete uncertainty surrounding it all. Perhaps that is why it hasn't been very successful.

• Like 1

First Car Buyer scheme is flawed

And the single-cab pickup trucks that farmers use will get just over Bt10,000 in tax reduction while luxurious, four-wheel-drive, off-road pickup trucks with full options get a tax break of as much as Bt100,000.

Finance Ministry confirms no extension to first-car scheme

BANGKOK, 24 May 2012 (NNT) - The Finance Minister has announced that the first-car tax rebate program will not be extended beyond the end of this year.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Kittiratt Na Ranong said that the Finance Ministry will not consider postponing the expiry date of the 100,000-baht tax rebate scheme for first-time car buyers.

Thus, Kittiratt has encouraged those wishing to benefit from this privilege to make prompt decisions.

Exceptions may only be applied to special cases of delayed car productions.

The program, which gives up to 100,000-baht tax rebates to first-time car buyers, aims to ease the people’s financial burdens. Additionally, the program also boosts the country’s production, after sales service, as well as create career opportunities and increase payment options for the public.

Meanwhile, the Excise Department has reported that 40,000 car owners have already registered for the tax rebate while another 200,000 eligible cars are waiting to be registered with the Department of Land Transport (DLT). Additionally, an online platform has been launched to take tax rebate applications; however, interested applicants must have in their possession the car registration booklets from the DLT.

First-time car buyers will receive the tax refund within one year from the purchase date. In addition, to prevent profiteering, the vehicle has to remain in the possession of the buyer for at least five years before it may be resold.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-05-24 footer_n.gif

• 2 months later...

http://www.mfa.go.th...42.php?id=42564

... Thailand attached high priority to gender equality, promotion of Thai women’s roles, poverty eradication, discrimination and domestic violence. The Royal Thai Government has set up the Thai Women Development Fund worth 7.7 billion baht (around 250 million USD) to empower Thai women with opportunities, especially women in the rural areas. At present, six million women have registered to the programme."

and just who is the Yingluck-appointed Supervisor for the Thai Women's Development Fund worth 7,700,000,000.00 baht?

Link to photo:

http://www.newzimbab...ister/news.aspx

Minister to the Prime Minister's Office Nalinee Taveesin

Thailand PM promotes Mugabe fixer

A Thai businesswoman slapped with United States sanctions for alleged business dealings with Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe's wife, Grace, has been appointed a Cabinet Minister. Nalinee Taveesin was named Prime Minister's Office Minister in a cabinet reshuffle Tuesday by Premier Yingluck Shinawatra, ignoring the fact that she is black-listed by the US for business dealings with the Mugabe's wife.

Taveesin -- then an ordinary Thai businesswoman -- was added to the list of Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) by the US Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) in November 2008.

The US OFAC accused her of facilitating a number of financial, real-estate and gems-related transactions on behalf of Grace Mugabe and other Zimbabweans on the SDN list.

Continues:

http://www.newzimbab...ister/news.aspx

New Zimbabwe - 18/01/2012

PM grants 20 million baht to women’s fund in each province

BANGKOK, 31 July 2012 (NNT) - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has today allotted a 20-million-baht budget to the women’s fund in each province across the country in an effort to uplift the quality of life for Thai women.

Prime Minister Yingluck presided over the official opening ceremony of the Women Empowerment Fund Program this morning at Impact Muang Thong Thani. Representatives from women’s groups nationwide were invited to participate in the ceremony.

The event features several exhibitions on women’s roles to mark the Thai Women’s Day, which falls on August 1 of every year, as well as an exhibition in honor of Her Majesty the Queen on the occasion of her 80th birthday anniversary this August 12.

At the opening ceremony, Ms. Yingluck authorized the transfer of 20 million baht to the bank account of the women’s fund in each of Thailand’s 77 provinces, totaling 1.54 billion baht.

Throughout the program, an average of 100 million baht will be allocated to each province, or a total of 7.7 billion baht.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-07-31 footer_n.gif

With all the populist freebes being thrown out, the one common demonitor seems to be making sure future government will have to pay also. Have they managed to give something to over 50 percent of the voting puplic yet?

Another project, which has not got too much press is 'business loans for university graduate', Since there is such a small labor market for gradates, guess we need to get them set up in a business.

Who approves all of these projects and the monies to fund them? I am awaiting for the government accomplishment report, due shortly. I can not think of a single project which was/has been promosied that has been brought to completion. Including return of the tarnished one.