What Do You Do To Beat The Heat?

WinnieTheKhwai

gym-wise, know of any good gyms with air con recommended for short term?

My gym membership has expired and both my usual gyms arent so great aircon/cool wise. (Great value though, so will rejoin one after the hot spell). Just wondered if there are any monthly memberships out there which have really good air con at this time, as would be nice to treat myself to a comfortable workout. Thanks.

(Edit: Just saw this thread: http://www.thaivisa....-in-chiang-mai/ will read comments there..however, any suggestions still appreciated, thank you)

Edited by eek

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing golf!!? With who, Lucifer? wink.png

As for me, I stopped eating carbs except for some 'cool' fruit like watermelon, use a lot of Prickly Heat powder, and switched to drinking Mojitos.

Also good: those cold towelettes you usually get in bars in Bangkok and Pattaya. Can buy them at Makro and freeze, or just freeze any moist cloth. Heaven.

Not completely off topic, sort of, but not completely. A cool Mojito on a hot day strikes me as a wonderful way to waste away the hot season. A dark, dank bar with a big overhead fan, Sydney Greenstreet sweating up a storm over in the corner...and a high-powered aricon pumping it out. smile.png Anyway, I have had a couple of Mojitos in a couple of places in CM and they were not even close to what they should be. Maybe I'm spoiled but I had a few in Hemingway's fav hangout in Havana - Bodeguita del medio - and loved them there. The mint is crushed with a small pestle, not minced like they tend to do here, cane sugar etc. Anyone have a location in CM where they make them properly?

As per the other topic: Carnival, on Loi Kroh next to the 7-Eleven. Buy 2 get one free. Which by the way ALSO applies if you are with a friend. So if you and I both order a Mojito, my next one is free. ;)

Ive resorted to air con lately (i generally dislike aircon because it dries the air), i put a damp towel in front to counteract the dry air (poor mans humidifier).

a quote which should have a priority position in the thread "when you are too long in Thailand..." ...you put a damp towel in front of the a/c to make the heat even more uncomfortable. ph34r.png

As for me, I stopped eating carbs except for some 'cool' fruit like watermelon, use a lot of Prickly Heat powder, and switched to drinking Mojitos.

Also good: those cold towelettes you usually get in bars in Bangkok and Pattaya. Can buy them at Makro and freeze, or just freeze any moist cloth. Heaven.

Not completely off topic, sort of, but not completely. A cool Mojito on a hot day strikes me as a wonderful way to waste away the hot season. A dark, dank bar with a big overhead fan, Sydney Greenstreet sweating up a storm over in the corner...and a high-powered aricon pumping it out. smile.png Anyway, I have had a couple of Mojitos in a couple of places in CM and they were not even close to what they should be. Maybe I'm spoiled but I had a few in Hemingway's fav hangout in Havana - Bodeguita del medio - and loved them there. The mint is crushed with a small pestle, not minced like they tend to do here, cane sugar etc. Anyone have a location in CM where they make them properly?

As per the other topic: Carnival, on Loi Kroh next to the 7-Eleven. Buy 2 get one free. Which by the way ALSO applies if you are with a friend. So if you and I both order a Mojito, my next one is free. wink.png

That would, of course, mean two sets of two which makes the free ones the 3rd and 6th. Could be a long day tongue.png

Ive resorted to air con lately (i generally dislike aircon because it dries the air), i put a damp towel in front to counteract the dry air (poor mans humidifier).

a quote which should have a priority position in the thread "when you are too long in Thailand..." ...you put a damp towel in front of the a/c to make the heat even more uncomfortable. ph34r.png

Have to admit to being a little dazed and confused about that. I was at the Big C + store and saw a few indoor A/C units that had a humidifiers built in. My GF just pushed me away say, that's crazy, crazy, no buy, crazy. In Canada, the part I come from anyway, life is all about dehumidifying in the summer. I lived near Lake Ontario and the humidity usually ran around 80% and up. Humidifiers ran during winter only when the air was bone dry inside and out. But, I understand what you're saying, driving a long distance with the air on can dry your eyes out big time.

Too funny.

Hide in the aircon until around 6pm... not exactly fun, but it's what I've been doing lately.

You're right though... burnin up today!

How did you handle Iraq?

I usually go for a walk around midday, don't get burnt when sun is directly overhead, otherwise we head to KSK or Airport Plaza for kinkao and browse the stores.... that can get exxy as TW cannot resist the SALE signs. rolleyes.gifthumbsup.gif

Do you go to the malls daily, if so doesn't it bore you silly?

I know that a lot of Thai's do, but once in a while is enough for me.

However, anything that works for you is OK.

Not daily, and mainly for cheap eats. Would bore me silly if I hadn't spent last 4 months in Isaan.... 70 k's from shopping centres!

Too funny.

:P

Not as crazy as it seems.

I suffer badly with aircon. End up waking up with a dry throat, dry eyes, headaches, and some trouble breathing. No idea why, just is. Read about the towel "trick" and it works. Have had friends try it, and they agree that it make the air fresher, cooler, and more comfortable.

Can google for more info if curious. One quote from here: http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/askquestion/53616/humidifier-congestion-home-made-humidifier.html

A cold mist humidifier could be made by placing a bucket of ice under a fan. The breeze produced by the fan will cause very fine droplets of water to spread through the air present in the room, thereby humidifying the whole room based on the working principle of a cool mist humidifier. Placing a wet towel over an air conditioning vent will have a similar effect. Placing wet towels and wet bed sheets over open windows is another effective method of humidifying the room that contains mostly dry air.

On a more serious note.

During this hot weather, drink plenty of water.

Leave out the alcohol because this actually dehydrates the body more, can lower the body sugar to dangerous levels and cause coma and heart attacks.

When out in the open, wear a tee-shirt, light weight jacket and long pants, otherwise the sun may cause serious injury to the skin and even skin cancer.

Thanks, Mom. Will do. smile.png

Except for the "light weight jacket and long pants". blink.png

Really, the English need to tan up a bit; discover cargo shorts and flip-flops.

(But if I owned legs the colour of a flounder's belly...maybe I would cover them up too, out of shame).

Just kidding here, don't take it personally....goof.gif

• Like 1

G. Gordon Liddy once did a talk show where he held his hand over an open flame for an exceptionally long time. The astonished interviewer meekly asked; 'so..what's the trick.

Liddy icily replied; 'the trick...is not minding the pain.'

I've given up on finding a good one here. Funny you should mention La Bodeguita del Medio. When I lived in Prague I would go to the same place for Mojito Cubanos almost every day during the European summer! I'm guessing it is the same ownership http://www.labodeguitadelmedio.cz/

As per the other topic: Carnival, on Loi Kroh next to the 7-Eleven. Buy 2 get one free. Which by the way ALSO applies if you are with a friend. So if you and I both order a Mojito, my next one is free. wink.png

That would, of course, mean two sets of two which makes the free ones the 3rd and 6th. Could be a long day tongue.png

No, that's the good thing; if you come with a friend and order one each, then the next one is free. That makes it a nice promotion. (During happy hour)

I've given up on finding a good one here. Funny you should mention La Bodeguita del Medio. When I lived in Prague I would go to the same place for Mojito Cubanos almost every day during the European summer! I'm guessing it is the same ownership http://www.labodeguitadelmedio.cz/

A quote from Wikipedia:

La Bodeguita worldwide

Today, there are establishments of the restaurant in other places of the world such as Mexico, United-States, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Macedonia, Slovakia, Colombia, Venezuela, Germany, United Kingdom, Argentina, Australia and Lebanon. In Spain, a company has opened four Bodeguitas del Medio, perfect replicas of the original Cuban restaurant. Today, tourists and locals continue to go to La Bodeguita del Medio to drink the authentic Cuban mojito.

Cubans probably aren't getting anything for this since they are not part of the capitalist world. Although the generals and party VIPs might be picking up a few pesos through the back door.

Some people spend their discretionary income on booze, shopping, etc. I spend mine on my air-con! Luckily I work from home so I just stay in my office and keep the a/c around 24 or 25 (when I first arrived to Thailand, it was on 18). And when bed time comes, I turn off office a/c and turn on bedroom a/c. I CANNOT sleep when I'm hot, it's the worse. And when the electric bill arrives and it's 3,000 baht, I think "hmmm...a 100 baht/day to stay cool 24 hours/day seems worth it".

On another note, does anyone know of a public swimming pool near the Meechock/Rimping Plaza (Pee Mook 1)? I'd like to watch my gf (and maybe others) play around in a pool.

My air con bill is only 350 baht/mo but is only 1 small room.

gym-wise, know of any good gyms with air con recommended for short term?

My gym membership has expired and both my usual gyms arent so great aircon/cool wise. (Great value though, so will rejoin one after the hot spell). Just wondered if there are any monthly memberships out there which have really good air con at this time, as would be nice to treat myself to a comfortable workout. Thanks.

(Edit: Just saw this thread: http://www.thaivisa....-in-chiang-mai/ will read comments there..however, any suggestions still appreciated, thank you)

Good luck with that one it was started in 2006

For my self I have a air con. Kind of pointless to have one if you don't use it.

My worst bill was still cheaper than back in Canada.

I have no problem when I am outside in that heat I worked construction where the temperatures were often in the high 30s in the summer. No problem.

Once inside a car or building it is air con time.

Have to admit to being a little dazed and confused about that. I was at the Big C + store and saw a few indoor A/C units that had a humidifiers built in. My GF just pushed me away say, that's crazy, crazy, no buy, crazy. In Canada, the part I come from anyway, life is all about dehumidifying in the summer. I lived near Lake Ontario and the humidity usually ran around 80% and up. Humidifiers ran during winter only when the air was bone dry inside and out. But, I understand what you're saying, driving a long distance with the air on can dry your eyes out big time.

I come from the Oakanogan valley where we had some pretty hot days but no humidity. In the 6 years I have been here I have kind of adjusted to the humidity, But once inside a building I look for air con.

Hope you don't have to many Mojito's on your long drives. You can't seem to get past a thread without bringing them up.

Edited by hellodolly

I come from the Oakanogan valley where we had some pretty hot days but no humidity. In the 6 years I have been here I have kind of adjusted to the humidity, But once inside a building I look for air con.

Hope you don't have to many Mojito's on your long drives. You can't seem to get past a thread without bringing them up.

I don't drink and drive - ever! I have mentioned Mojitos in two threads, because you are a non-drinker that doesn't mean you have to come out and kick me in the shins. Don't like the subject matter, don't respond, move on, easy. BTW - I responded to your query in the other thread and suggested a very nice non-alcohol Mojito.

• Like 1

A beautiful part of the world.

A beautiful part of the world.

Agreed. I spent some time there in the 1970's after I finished High School. But I believe the spelling is O k a n a g a n.

Guys, cut Hellodolly some slack. I grew up in the Cuyahoga Valley and I still have to use spellcheck every time I type the name.

Incidentally, the Cuyahoga Valley isn't nearly as beautiful as the Okanagan Valley. At least the Cuyahoga River hasn't burned lately from pollution like it did in my childhood!

Oh, to answer the question -- how do I stay cool? The best courses I ever took in college were in HVAC design! Oh, that means heating, ventilating and AIR CONDITIONING. After renting two places with marginal A/C units in CM, I got smart and inspected the A/C units closely for thier capacity before we agreed to rent. Hubby was checking out the internet and TV service, so between us we have the afternoons under control!

Edited by NancyL