19 Year Old Stabbed In The Neck As He Attempts To Break-Up Fight On Jomtien Beach

Rimmer

19 year old stabbed in the neck as he attempts to break-up fight on Jomtien Beach

PATTAYA:--A 19 year old Thai man is lucky to be alive after he was stabbed in the neck as he tried to break-up a fight between two groups of men during the Songkran festivities. Police were notified of the stabbing which occurred on Jomtien Beach Road in front of Soi 8 on Thursday Night as the water-fighting began to ease and a day of heavy drinking led to an altercation between two groups of 10 men for no apparent reason. Khun Balinyar decided to break-up the altercation between his friends and an opposing group of men, but instead was stabbed in his neck by a member of the opposing gang who then fled with his friends in the direction of Pattaya.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/53512/19-year-stabbed-neck-attempts-break-up-fight-jomtien-beach/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-04-20

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Thais + alcohol = disaster

Actually, Thais + alcohol < (Farangs + alcohol = disaster)

No way would an event like Songkran end up without major death and injury rates in most western countries, through alcohol, muggings, sexual assaults and fights, although my own country, the UK, would come out worst. I remeber a couple of years ago, soon after Songkran in Thailand, that a friendly water fight was organised on Facebook in London. The whole thing soon deteriorated into a riot.

Edited by Card
  • Like 2

Unfair, most humans + alcohol = disaster

There have always been issues with people drinking and getting into fights

But As the world is changing its becoming worse the lack of respect for other peoples life is a growing consern when will the governments around the world take action and increase the penalty bring back the eye for a eye laws

And let it be peace for the rest of us

Ah bring back the old days, when louts where punished for being louts. Simple, upon the evidence of 2 or more uninvolved bystanders, take the guilty to the cop shop - strap them to a bench and give them six of the best with a heavy cane on bare buttocks and then let them go. Quick, easy and a real deterrent as a proper caning will be remembered for a long time to come.

Just based on the news items, this year's "Songkran" seems to have been more violent than usual ...coffee1.gif

didn't the Thai govt. ask for a alcohol ban for songkran this year. that seemed to go over well, didn't it?

No way would an event like Songkran end up without major death and injury rates in most western countries, through alcohol, muggings, sexual assaults and fights, although my own country, the UK, would come out worst. I remeber a couple of years ago, soon after Songkran in Thailand, that a friendly water fight was organised on Facebook in London. The whole thing soon deteriorated into a riot.

In the USA we have nearly the same festival- Marsi Gras. And it is a fact, we are way drinker than the Thais at their equivalent celebration, and WAY more violent. I actually think the Thais do a pretty good job when juxtaposed with the violence during Mardi Gras?

Edited by Rimmer
Quotes fixed again !!

Great.....more Thai bashing...coffee1.gifsaai.gifsaai.gif

In fact, no! One does not need to provide a disclaimer in order to make a statement that is not too difficult to support with daily facts that can easily be located in the media.

In a country of only 70 million, the amount of galactic stupidity and violence and mayhem that continuously occurs herein does not constitute "Thai bashing" when one makes a scolding remark.

The proportion of sordid behavior (annually on the increase), when compared to the native population that is making it happen, easily places Thailand high up on a list of corruption and violence in the world.

So no! It is not Thai bashing. It is (in my opinion and the way I read it) making a statement of disgust about a disproportionate amount of beasts, fools and idiots who happen to be native to this country.

This festival is bringing out (more and more each year) the most despicable human types that can be imagined, and the behaviors are of the lowest order of our species. This is another hallmark year for Pattaya.

If that is bashing to you, then your thresholds are more anesthetized and far nearer to the edge of the precipice than mine are. The soup is getting hotter, and all the frog can say is, "Great.....more Thai bashing..."

Pattaya sounds more and more like Detroit every day...A major shthole....I'll wait for all the stupid responses from the usual...Send it...!blink.png

I totally agree with you. Is it just that the press in Pattaya are more sensationalist, or is it really that much more violent than BKK?
  • Like 1

Pattaya/Jomtien a lovely open air brothel, where you should come once a year for a few hours.... A place invested with criminals and other mindless people.

How would you know? You claim you never set foot there.

I thought that was because the police shot a lad in Tottenham

In the USA we have nearly the same festival- Marsi Gras. And it is a fact, we are way drinker than the Thais at their equivalent celebration, and WAY more violent. I actually think the Thais do a pretty good job when juxtaposed with the violence during Mardi Gras?

Err, not sure where you celebrate Mardi Gras, but in Louisiana I can assure you that there is little to no violence. If you are stupid enough to start something, you will be on the receiving end from the local police.

And just where do you get water interjected into Mardi Gras? Never seen or heard of water being thrown during the festival leading up to Lent, only beads.

Now how can you possibly know the UK would come out worse,there is no way you can compare,because we do not have a Songkran.

And there is no other UK celebration that accounts for 300 + deaths,as this years Songkran did.

If you are going to have some Brit Bashing,at least include some comparable facts.

Pattaya sounds more and more like Detroit every day...A major shthole....I'll wait for all the stupid responses from the usual...Send it...!blink.png

I'll bite Teddy. The problem with stereotypes is that they are not always true and if you limit yourself to other people's opinions of a place or thing, then you never really know whether YOU would like it or not.

As far as this incident, one would hope that you would have the sense to not be in a situation that places you at risk. Part of that is on you. Would you hang around two groups of drunk people once tempers began to rise anywhere in the world, much less in Thailand? If so, then you are putting yourself at risk. No telling what 20 drunk people would do in a flare up, not only in Thailand, Pattaya or Jomtien, but in Boseman, Butte, Ketchum or Idaho Falls. All those places are shit holes too, no?

After reading some of your previous posts and with your attitude, it might be best for all concerned if you just kept on fly fishing on the Flathead and left travel for those with an appetite for a bit of adventure.

I totally agree with you. Is it just that the press in Pattaya are more sensationalist, or is it really that much more violent than BKK?

Bad news draws press. The internet amplifies an incident based on the number of respondents to threads of this nature, bringing out points of view on both sides of a topic. Negativity will always win out over positive responses since the "how could something like this happen" people always shout the loudest, even when they have no idea of what they speak. Human nature I'm afraid.

In the mean time, as long as you aren't hanging out with a bunch of drunk Thais with chips on their shoulders during Songkran, you should be ok at Jomtien Beach.

With tens of thousands of (usually drunk) visitors a month to Pattaya and Jomtien, I'm surprised the injury / death count is not higher than what it is.

• Like 1

Look at the news sites from other cities. Many don't even have crime sections. Pattaya's crime section on any news source is very large, pretty violent, and often drug fueled.

Love it or hate it, Pattaya can be a very rough town. They don't call it "The Extreme City" for nothing.

With tens of thousands of (usually drunk) visitors a month to Pattaya and Jomtien, I'm surprised the injury / death count is not higher than what it is.

It is much higher than what is reported by the media. I posted before, I was told by staff at Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital that they alone have at least 5 casualties a day from motorbike crashes, every day. Not just holidays. You have to assume the other hospitals see some as well. Yet, how many daily motorbike deaths show up in the media?

The Thais are notorious for image control and listing 5, 10, or 15 deaths a day in one tourist city from motorbikes alone wouldn't be good for business.