How Much Health Insurance Is Needed Here In Thailand

jingjoe8

How much overall cover do you think is needed in thailand for health insurance?

Some of the local insurance coverage i have seen cover up to 1 million baht,is that enough coverage for most medical emergencies?

Where some insurers wil cover me in every country( except usa) for 40million baht,i understand surgery outside thailand might need this coverage,but if i am planning to be based here in thailand for the forseeable future is the "international coverage" overkill,

Im 44 healthy,have 30yo thai wife and 6month old son,

As a father i want the best for my family,but i don't want to pay for more coverage than is needed especially at twice the price.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

p.s. neither my wife or myself ride motorbikes,we drive a pick up which is fully insured for accident insurance we also live in a reasonably quiet area of thailand,

i would also like to add that the international worldwide coverage is going to cost me about 20% of my yearly budget so its a big decision financially

Edited by jingjoe8

To give you an idea of medical costs and remember these can vary depending on where you are but a good rule of thumb. A heart bi-pass in Pitsanulok I was told was 1.5M bts, I need to have cataracts done on my eyes 6500bts in Nakhon Sawan. The Thai Insurances I have seen dont seem to be that good value to me.

If you are married and you have a house, your wife will have a blue book which entitle her to a free Thai health card. If you obtain a yellow book ( these are both to do with owning property ) you night be able also to get a Thai health card giving you free access to Govt hospitals as well, some areas seem more supportive than others in this area.

Overseas international cover may be an option depending on cost and whats on offer, otherwise you can consider self funding in a bank account and hope you dont need to touch it

ok so maybe if i found insurance with 3million baht cover this should be ample,i still prefer the idea of ample insurance coverage just not paying too much,its kind of like insuring your house at home for 1million dollars when its only worth 250000 dollars and thats all you will get back if something happens,you just pay bigger premiums for nothing

Why do you need international worldwide coverage?

Are you going to be travelling 365 days a year?

If you are going to be based in Thailand and go on holiday outside say 2 X 2 weeks per year then get Thai based health insurance and take out separate policies for your travel needs and that will be much cheaper.

Why do you need international worldwide coverage?

Are you going to be travelling 365 days a year?

If you are going to be based in Thailand and go on holiday outside say 2 X 2 weeks per year then get Thai based health insurance and take out separate policies for your travel needs and that will be much cheaper.

Its not so much the international coverage,its the amount they insure you for,in some cases 40million baht,my question is how much total coverage is good enough in thailand 1million baht?? 2million baht? some of the local policies offered by expat clubs for example only offer coverage from 700000bht to 1.5million baht,the policies are reasonably cheap but is it enough to cover for all health emergencies

It all depends where you will go for treatment, in-patient.

If only state hospital or state university hospital, take out the cheapest plan.

If you want the private hospitals, take out the most expensive plan.

Take out the middle priced plans if you want choice, within reason

Out patient, don't bother, too expensive.

at your age you can still get some very good deals but cover yourself for at least a minimum of 10 million baht - medical expenses are going up and up and make sure that it includes outpatient treatment. Cancer chemo can be and mostly is outpatient but can cost easily between 250,000to 400.000 per session depending on the type of chemo

you can also take the maximum excess they offer which will cut down considerably on your annual policy costs - but you are then well insured if and when it is needed

My first coverage with BUPA cost me 85,000 baht for the first year with a 10 to 20% discount the next year and every year there after. The platinum card would have cost me 120,000 baht per year with the same discounts yearly. That's a hell of allot cheaper than U.S. insurance and it paid 100% except for pre-existing conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

To give you an idea of medical costs and remember these can vary depending on where you are but a good rule of thumb. A heart bi-pass in Pitsanulok I was told was 1.5M bts, I need to have cataracts done on my eyes 6500bts in Nakhon Sawan. The Thai Insurances I have seen dont seem to be that good value to me.

If you are married and you have a house, your wife will have a blue book which entitle her to a free Thai health card. If you obtain a yellow book ( these are both to do with owning property ) you night be able also to get a Thai health card giving you free access to Govt hospitals as well, some areas seem more supportive than others in this area.

Overseas international cover may be an option depending on cost and whats on offer, otherwise you can consider self funding in a bank account and hope you dont need to touch it

the 'Thai health card' is being phased out and being replaced with the Thai ID card. It was the case in the past (and knowing Thailand) may still be, that Farangs got the health card (gold card) automatically, this is no longer happening. Having a credit card in your wallet when you are delivered to hospital unconscious is a good idea.

Hi, so u start off with 120K baht and they will redeuce 10% every year? thats if u got no claims right? what will happen say if u got same claims after 3 years? will it be back to 120K?

Also until what age will BUPA cover?

Is it better to join them early or in 65-70s? Will they accept from 70+?

Thanks in advance...

That's a real expensive bi-pass Nong, the Bumrungrad (Bangkok) package price is 500k and they are one of the most expensive hospitals in Thailand.

man some of these info is screwed up.... i talked one dude whos 65, his yearly bupa fee is 26,000 baht... sucks to be a dude paying hefty, or are they actulaay in thailand??????????? lol

made me almost depressed again!!!

Edited by gravion

Which company you choose may depend on how long you intend to stay in Thailand AND your age. These companies are there to make money, as you approach an age where you might start to be a risk, many of them start putting up your premium by 50, then 100%, accompanied by restrictions about already existing conditions. Read the small print, some of them even reserve the right to increase premiums at any time or just cut you off at any time.

I may be going for Cynaglobal or Nordic, both expensive (about Bahts 10 - 14 000 a month) but both promising not to increase premiums when you get to 65, 75 or whatever. Forget Bupa, they drop you like a lump of shit when you get to 50, or charge huge sums.

Don't forget that a large part of insurance is about peace of mind and the suspicion that your asthma problem might exclude you from treatment for lung cancer is not zen.

Self insurance is also an option, if you go suddenly, your family gets the nest egg, in my case I also have a repatriation insurance to get me home where I get treatment 'free', in case I get really bad. Putting 10 000 a month in the bank is maybe a good idea if you plan on staying healthy for 20 years or so.

Whatever insurance you do get, make sure you are covered for emergency medical evacuation back to your home country, especially if that country will provide you with subsidised or free health care to its citizens.

Most expat insurance co's provide this cover, but I understand you can also buy this seperately.

there is a hell of a lot of difference between 1 million dollars and 1 million baht coverage.

if you dont want repatriation or evacuation coverage and are happy being covered for around 30,000 USD , then thai insurance is for you. Otherwise go international

i was told that u couldnt join bupa after the age of 65, so what would the options be for the 66 yr olds?

Any info will be swelly bros

plenty of options, the best ones are the most expensive. I have quite a list of offers from different companies but I have decided to go visit an insurance broker in Pattaya to discuss face to face. I will be 65 in January). As I stated above, Nordic and Cynaglobal seem to give what they say they are going to give, that is lifetime coverage without raising premiums. I found most of the addresses using Google.

I agree that a repatriation insurance is a very good investment if you can get treated at home. I plan to die at my home in Thailand, but you never know..

i was told that u couldnt join bupa after the age of 65, so what would the options be for the 66 yr olds?

plenty of options, the best ones are the most expensive. I have quite a list of offers from different companies but I have decided to go visit an insurance broker in Pattaya to discuss face to face. I will be 65 in January). As I stated above, Nordic and Cynaglobal seem to give what they say they are going to give, that is lifetime coverage without raising premiums. I found most of the addresses using Google.

I agree that a repatriation insurance is a very good investment if you can get treated at home. I plan to die at my home in Thailand, but you never know..

until your first episode of any significance.

If you are young and healthy why bother?

You have accident insurance for your car.

Your wife and child are entitled to free health care in the area their house book is registered.

About the worst for you to cover would be personal accident insurance, which is quite cheap.

I am old and healthy, I have no insurance at all, apart from compulsory government vehicle cover.

PAYG is cheap in government hospitals.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

If you are young and healthy why bother?

You have accident insurance for your car.

Your wife and child are entitled to free health care in the area their house book is registered.

About the worst for you to cover would be personal accident insurance, which is quite cheap.

I am old and healthy, I have no insurance at all, apart from compulsory government vehicle cover.

PAYG is cheap in government hospitals.

I agree it's an option but not for everyone, I've been self insured for nine years and my medical expenses thus far have ammounted to about THB250k, hopefully the trend will continue - BTW, I'm too old for BUPA but I'm incredibly handsome also. laugh.png

Agreed. That's when you spend hours on internet looking for complaints about the different companies. Doing this put me off April International for instance, Nordic has a good reputation.

• 1 month later...

Be VERY careful about believing that your "repatriation" actually means to your home country. Read the small print - cause typically it is not based on your finances (free medical at home so PLEASE send me there now!) but simply a MEDICAL evaluation as to being taken where medical standard up to snuff for the given medical problem. I.e. an evacuation from say Laos to Thailand will probably often make medical sense - even from say Thailand to Singapore if need to go 1 step up the ladder - but there is NO guarantee that you will be send to home country just for (medical) financial reasons. Cheers!

Agreed. That's when you spend hours on internet looking for complaints about the different companies. Doing this put me off April International for instance, Nordic has a good reputation.

Thanks. My repat. insurance will take me only back to my home country (Switzerland). However it is true that evaluating whether I should get sent home or not is a very dodgy area.

Swiss health insurance is obligatory so if I find myself back home without adequate insurance I get treated. They send the bill later, after my money is all gone the state pays the bill.

Why do I even look at the insurance forum ?

Always gets me going. Medical cost here are less than my deductable cost in the states.

3 months ago my heart stopped, 1669 called, Ambulance ride to hospital. restarting my heart, X rays, ER work, Heart test, IV's all drugs. ICU for a few nights., regular room for 1 more night. Heart tests, and all doctor bills total price was 4700 Baht. My sister back in the states said the cost would be $80,000 - $150,000

My fathers ICU for a month on life support at RAM hospital was not 1m Baht either

This is why I am thinking seriously about self insurance. However the above example forgets that you may be in for a long period of decline, involving regular outpatients visits (which most people opt out of when choosing an insurance) for years, therapy, expensive drugs.

3 months ago my heart stopped, 1669 called, Ambulance ride to hospital. restarting my heart,

Amazing story & glad you survived

Watching how long it takes a ambulance to move through cars here I always wonder.

Your right though medical is still a good/fair value here

A few years back I wondered about the same - asked around, checked hospital homepages etc. and got to 1M Baht being the minimum to cover things like brain/heart surgery Etc. when adding all the "extras"/rooms Etc. in the top hospitals here.

That price might well have gone up quite a bit since then w. medical inflation.

Cheers!

Do you know that in a Thai hospital, if you are injured the will stabilize you, but not provide the surgery or treatment need until money or put down suitable recognizable insurance is produced? If your self insured, get hurt or badly sick, and incapacitated to the point of not being able to call for help; what then?

As a parent of a teen, I too self insured with a special fund set aside for medical emergencies when I moved to Thailand, but soon decided it was responsible to provide a solution if a family member is either unable to communicate or unfortunately becomes incapacitated.