Tot Internet

Since Monday my internet service has been going in and out scores to hundreds of times a day. My landlord says his buddy the island head of TOT says it is the whole island, not just here in Ban Taling Ngam. True or false? Since I have to improve this situation, I'm thinking of getting a smart phone and use it as a modem when needed. I was excited to get a CAT dongle, but last time I checked they said there was no coverage in BTG. Any constructive comments appreciated.

Mine was dodgy once, they came out, cut a water bottle in half and put it over the connections. They seem to just use Electrical tape to connect, not properly spliced. Now mine is dry has only dropped once a month for about a minute. Check where the connect off the main line, might be as simple as my 'fault'.

By the way am in Namuang so we are probably on the same main line on the 4169 road.

M

I am living in Plai Laem and my TOT has also been pretty cruppy most of this week. Luckily I have 3BB back-up. I think that there is a problem somewhere with TOT at the mo. (Before this week - TOT had been solid and reliable for quite a while.)

On the dongle/SIM card side , also for back-up I have

CAT CDMA - always reliable but I am in Plai Laem

Truemove - variable - great to very poor supposedly 3G

AIS - solid and reliable on a smart phone. Works well on all three islands - no 3G yet

DTAC - was brilliant, now suffering (according to friends)

I had a problem for a couple of weeks with LAN dropping out but still had intermittent WIFI, don't understand that.

Lost all Thursday morning problem with DNS , one call to their office in Bophut & it was fixed.

The coffee shop I use has TOT and the past week its been almost unusable, usually its fine/medicore. This is near univeristy in chaweng, if thats any help, I dont troubleshoot further than that as just tether to phone, although certainly odd given its been fine for past 6 months (generally)

TOT is unreliable all over the country. I keep 2 lines and modems thinking that at least one will work. Not the case, in Chiang Rai both go out frequently or drop out frequently. Remember this is a government organization and there is no serious motivation for them to do their job. Now that the Chinese have decided to pull a Thai on their contract looks like the tablets won't be coming. Just as well as the TOT internet can not support a small number of up country users. I don't think that you can look forward to the government improving a situation that has been like this for ever.

Just had a TOT reconnection today of an existing line in Taling Ngam, no ADSL or Internet light, engineer blamed faulty modem and disappears, no wiring continuity trace or checking of dodgy insulating tape joints or water bottle storm shield. Plug and pray.........................