The Expats Who Are Far Too Happy To Be Homesick (But They Still Miss A Good Old-Fashioned British Pub)

Boater

You might expect them to pine for the countryside, hanker after the beer or at least wonder what's happening on EastEnders.

But these days, it seems British expats are too busy enjoying the customs and cuisine of their adopted countries to feel homesick in the slightest.

The majority of those who have left the UK don't miss British television, food, culture or the sense of humour, a study has found.

article-2132916-01FFEAA00000044D-381_472x282.jpg

Missed: The only thing most emigrants crave is the sociable atmosphere of the good old British pub

And they even get by quite happily without their family and friends – content with using the internet to keep in touch instead.

In fact, the only thing that most emigrants still crave is the sociable atmosphere of the good old British pub.

A poll of 1,800 expats in a dozen countries found that only a quarter of those living abroad miss British television, while just 41 per cent miss the British sense of humour.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1sf8ZK05I

Edited by Boater

Sounds like a load of piffle waffle to me.

I find nowadays there are plenty of pubs with a near "authentic" atmosphere in the main cities and resorts - indeed many of the pubs back at home now are atmosphere free, lout-infested shiteholes.

In the main cities here, western food standards are also as good as you'll find at home. The once eternal quest for the Thailand Expat to find the perfect sausage is now a thing of the past....

If I want to keep up with UK TV there are plenty of ways to do so with a half decent internet connection...

I miss the weather. I brought the sense of humour with me.

A friend brought out some current UK comedy TV shows, which we watched in the pub, and what I hadn't realised was that when we brought our sense of humour with us, there was none left for those who stayed behind. I was surprised how disappointing the shows were - and the extent to which they relied on the same stereotypes as the shows I remember from my childhood.

I concur with others on the relative merits of our pubs here and back home. I was certainly disappointed last time I went to the Doctors. Even the nostalgia's not what it used to be...

SC

Tony Blair and Gordon Brown sold the UK down the river over their despicable governing of the country and in the process of making considerable personal fortunes have created a truely aweful place to live.

I for one will not be going back bar for the shortest possible must go visit. i certainly won't miss being mugged by a hoody or being fines for putting my rubbish in the wrong colour bin.

• Like 2

When they say " most emigrants still crave is the sociable atmosphere of the good old British pub", I would imagine they are talking about their locals (which would probably be very different to mine) and not British pubs in general.

Where I am from, after a few amber nectors you accidently walk into the wrong bar, that could easily be the last thing you do!

Tony Blair and Gordon Brown sold the UK down the river over their despicable governing of the country and in the process of making considerable personal fortunes have created a truely aweful place to live.

I for one will not be going back bar for the shortest possible must go visit. i certainly won't miss being mugged by a hoody or being fines for putting my rubbish in the wrong colour bin.

Don't talk about "sold the UK down the river" that happened under Thatcher and Major and an 18 year Tory rule under her band of thieves.

• Like 1

Don't talk about "sold the UK down the river" that happened under Thatcher and Major and an 18 year Tory rule under her band of thieves.

I suppose we all miss the opportunity for a good argument down the pub.

No we don't

Yes we do

Red

Blue

Black

White

Red

Yellow

etc.

When they say " most emigrants still crave is the sociable atmosphere of the good old British pub", I would imagine they are talking about their locals (which would probably be very different to mine) and not British pubs in general.

Where I am from, after a few amber nectors you accidently walk into the wrong bar, that could easily be the last thing you do!

Oh! come on chisinth,being extremely melodramatic,aren't we?

Not really, Belfast even though looking peaceful on the outside has many lingering dangers!

Seriously, most bars I walked into without being known before I left, unless being city-center type bars, I always felt I was being treated suspiciously. As for striking up a conversation with a complete stranger in one of these bars: that could turn into its own little drama. This is across UK, not just Northern Ireland.

And no, I'm not normally paranoid or a trouble maker.

Now is this true, did you get mugged by a hoodie or fined for putting you rubbish in the wrong colour bin?

Meanwhile all over the UK pubs are closing down.

I can't find anything to good to say about cut price dumps like Wetherspoons either. If I wanted to drink with pikeys I'd go and live on a council estate!

smokie36 ... have the UK Pubs changed a lot in last 20 years or so.

As you know I used to work in one of your Ale Houses and I loved the 'English Pub' .. just something that we didn't have as a concept in Australia.

When I was working in London, I missed water-sking in Australia ... warm wet water fun.

When I was in Australia I missed the 'Local' ... have they changed sooooo much?

My local is great....but many of the landlord owned pubs have gone. These places have faceless "regional managers" and serve up crap lager and reheated food.

They seem popular amongst the social underclass however....laugh.png

are we referring to the weatherspoon or beefeater chain lol

My local is great....but many of the landlord owned pubs have gone. These places have faceless "regional managers" and serve up crap lager and reheated food.

Almost all of them. Even the pitcher and whatnot and All bar none...

Not really, Belfast even though looking peaceful on the outside has many lingering dangers!

Seriously, most bars I walked into without being known before I left, unless being city-center type bars, I always felt I was being treated suspiciously. As for striking up a conversation with a complete stranger in one of these bars: that could turn into its own little drama. This is across UK, not just Northern Ireland.

Yes Chris but surely you expected that before you went in?

This type of thing happens in England I notice a lot. Speaking to someone is considered rude or crazy even some places.

Never a problem in Scotland however as having a blether is a national sport over a beer or ten.

If you don't believe me ask Sir Blether of Bellshill...laugh.png

This type of thing happens in England I notice a lot. Speaking to someone is considered rude or crazy even some places.

Never a problem in Scotland however as having a blether is a national sport over a beer or ten.

If you don't believe me ask Sir Blether of Bellshill...laugh.png

Actually have to agree with that Smokie. I spent about 18 years in Scotland, granted slightly further to the east from the bletherhood (Rosyth and most bars in a 25 mile radius) and enjoyed every pint of it! But as with everywhere, you get used to the welcomes in and around a given area.

When you travel on a nationwide government sponsored pub crawl (I must apologise to the British tax payer at this stage for their greatly appreciated input) the responses to going into someones local really do differ greatly.

Just a case of getting used to that area I suppose.

BTW, never got into trouble with any of the locals anywhere I went; was rather proud of that.................... considering.

Edited by chrisinth

Sorry i got it all wrong. Tony and Gordon were really great weren't they.........suggest you do your homework and check out the state of the economy when Tony took power and the state of the economy at the end of Labour rule. When you've done that, take a look at what happened regards immigration. Its a f*cking disgrace and atleast one of them should be banged up, if for nothing else but lying to parliament about WMD.

• Like 2

Almost all of them. Even the pitcher and whatnot and All bar none...

What about down in London?

I used to live near the old Arsernal Football ground and the Frog and Ferkin Pub was close enough to be my local. Also remember the Fox and Ferkin.

Has the +++++ and Ferkin Pubs still alive?

Dave, the Firkin pubs are still going in a few places, but they mainly sold out a few years ago...

The concept is dead for the Firkin chain...the names may survive but that is all...shame as they brewed their own stuff...which was not bad at all.

Absolutely Smokie.

The "Firkins" were decent pubs in their own way, but before their time.

They were very much aimed at the student market (cheap, strong ale) but I think the fact that they actually resembled a pub inside was too harrowing for the marketing men in this day of chrome and glass...

Thanks smoky36 and HeavyDrinker ... I was a fan of the 'Firkin' concept.

Great atmosphere, good beer and I loved looking down through the glass portholes in the floor and seeing the lovely drop brewing below me.

Always noisy, cheap and cheerfull ...

Great atmosphere, good beer and I loved looking down through the glass portholes in the floor and seeing the lovely drop brewing below me.

I spent many evenings and Sunday afternoons in the one in Tooting that's for sure! laugh.png

I spent many evenings and Sunday afternoons in the one in Tooting that's for sure! laugh.png

The smoky and Firkin?

There are some excellent pubs that remain in London.

I like the theatre pubs as well. Good night out.

Places like The Bedford, Bedford Hill SW17

The Kings Head Islington

Many of the smaller pubs along the Wharfs in London eg The Grapes, Limehouse, The City Barge @ Chiswick

The Pride of Spitalfields, Brick Lane, surrounded by great ruby murray rests.